Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So does anyone think anything is actually going to come from this? I'm fairly confident nothing will happen, though perhaps in a couple years IF SCOTUS hears an appeal on the the recent decision on concealed carry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Boon posted:

So does anyone think anything is actually going to come from this? I'm fairly confident nothing will happen, though perhaps in a couple years IF SCOTUS hears an appeal on the the recent decision on concealed carry

Nietzsche said that the cruelest evil to fly out of Pandora's box was Hope.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Boon posted:

Nothing is going to come from it, except for some short term news cycle issues. Though I do agree with Greg Sargent that this was a test of leadership Trump failed miserably.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Boon posted:

I'm not trying to be snarky but, it involved a crazy muslim and LGBT victims; so absolutely nothing is going to happen.

edit: also, it's too soon to talk about it, the wounds are too fresh for your attempts at political grandstanding. and by next week, it will be too late to talk about it.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 13, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Boon posted:

Nope, not a drat thing. Didn't happen after Sandy Hook, won't happen now. Especially not when the victims were gay, Latino people at a nightclub.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Boon posted:

Daily Depressing Reminder that a school full of small children was shot to pieces and conservatives, rather than facing the evils of their favorite hobby, decided to either declare it as a gun-control hoax or advocate for arming teachers.

That was the point of no return. We will continue to devolve into the loving wild west with these assholes in office. Period.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/742391135323230208

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Well then.

quote:

“I don’t forgive him as a father, and I’m completely against what he did,” [Mateen's father] said. “It’s against humanity and innocent people.”

The elder Mateen is something of an online personality, posting numerous videos on YouTube and his Facebook page about Afghan politics, including some where he appears to pass himself off as the President of Afghanistan. Although he disavowed the hatred that motivated his son’s rampage in the gay nightclub, in a video posted early Monday morning he said “God himself will punish those involved in homosexuality.”

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

"I'm completely against what he did, but only because it was my son who did it"

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Earlier in the thread someone asked "why doesn't Obama just say the magic words?" and this right here is why. Even if you relent and do what they want, the concession is never acknowledged as a good thing - the Right just uses it to attack you more while also moving on to the next bullshit thing. Obama is right to not give in to these fucks.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LeeMajors posted:

Daily Depressing Reminder that a school full of small children was shot to pieces and conservatives, rather than facing the evils of their favorite hobby, decided to either declare it as a gun-control hoax or advocate for arming teachers.

That was the point of no return. We will continue to devolve into the loving wild west with these assholes in office. Period.

Agreed.

At some point these will have happened enough that even the detractors will be forced to act on our broken gun culture. Until then we'll continue to ignore the conversation (politicizing an event) offer useless gestures (hopes and prayers) and await a major shift on the issue. Such is the nature of our system and it's incremental progress

Or so I cynically believe :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Comey is giving a briefing right now.
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/742393792523829248

Says the "killer was radicalized through the internet".

Lol the 2013 FBI investigation was triggered when he told coworkers he was connected to both Al Qaeda and Hezbollah

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Boon posted:

Agreed.

At some point these will have happened enough that even the detractors will be forced to act on our broken gun culture. Until then we'll continue to ignore the conversation (politicizing an event) offer useless gestures (hopes and prayers) and await a major shift on the issue. Such is the nature of our system and it's incremental progress

Pretty sure it's just going to become normal to the point where it's not a big deal. People die every day to violence and nobody cares. This is just the evolution of that.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Schnorkles posted:

I'll just quickly repost what I said in YCS. Beck's position here is completely consistent with the Mormon church right now. They're all about the "everyone deserves to be treated with love and respect," but remain in the "lol no, thats a sin" re: gay marraige and overt homosexuality.

Yeah, it's way more "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" than a change of heart.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The way I see it, it's his employer that should have caught this the most. He's an adult and away from his parents so I don't blame them, it's his wife's call about how to deal with his abuse of her, the FBI did their job like they should have; it's not like they can follow someone around just for being an angry jerk unless they can prove their connection to known terrorists. But a security company that gives him a gun and the responsibility to use it should have done better.

To a group of insane mercenaries who don't give a poo poo about doing a decent job he was probably the perfect employee. Crazy has a hard time judging crazy.

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/NickBaumann/status/742352136013484032

I'm jumping to the end of the thread to avoid the weekend Islamophobia, so apologies if y'all discussed this already.

I know he was investigated twice by the FBI, but was he on a watch list still?

There is a good chance he was on the no-fly list but there is a law in FL that people on the no-fly list should still be able to own guns so :shrug:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

LeeMajors posted:

To be fair, some conservatives argued in favor of training schoolchildren to rush the shooter in hopes that their tiny bodies would eventually overwhelm them or something.

Nothing is ever going to change, and "some crazy hateful piece of poo poo murders a bunch of innocents by shooting them" is like the least effective form of terrorism since we're so loving used to it by now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

zoux posted:

Lol the 2013 FBI investigation was triggered when he told coworkers he was connected to both Al Qaeda and Hezbollah

:psyduck: Why didn't his loving company FIRE HIM!

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

Comey is giving a briefing right now.
https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/742393792523829248

Says the "killer was radicalized through the internet".

Know what, I'm sorry but, this mother fucker's father should be on a plane right now to Gitmo with a bunch of CIA spooks crawling up his rear end with a magnifying glass and a huge marine explaining to him that this will be the last day he ever sees sunlight if he doesn't spill his guts and tell them everything he loving knows about his son and everyone his son ever had dealings with. This is some hosed up poo poo and his father appears to be just as responsible as he is for what happened.

radical meme fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 13, 2016

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

CommieGIR posted:

You should probably do some reading about G4S. They are pretty much domestic Blackwater.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

radical meme posted:

Know what, I'm sorry but, this mother fucker's father should be on a plane right now to Gitmo with a bunch of CIA spooks crawling up his rear end with a magnifying glass and a huge marine explaining to him that this will be the last day ever sees sunlight if he doesn't spill his guts and tell them everything he loving knows about his son and everyone his son ever had dealings with. This is some hosed up poo poo and his father appears to be just as responsible as he is for what happened.

Listening to the Comey briefing, this dude was a guy who claimed to be affilitated with every terrorist group he ever heard of, including opposing groups and even Sunni and Shia groups simultaneously. He's the my uncle works at Nintendo of terrorism and there's nothing to be learned from this guy.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Internet Webguy posted:

They are pretty much domestic Blackwater.

Yeah I saw.

Still surprised one of his coworkers didn't just shoot him after saying that.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

radical meme posted:

Know what, I'm sorry but, this mother fucker's father should be on a plane right now to Gitmo with a bunch of CIA spooks crawling up his rear end with a magnifying glass and a huge marine explaining to him that this will be the last day he ever sees sunlight if he doesn't spill his guts and tell them everything he loving knows about his son and everyone his son ever had dealings with. This is some hosed up poo poo and his father appears to be just as responsible as he is for what happened.

agreed, we should also find all his cousins + extended family and sentence them to the rice fields for a generation

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

CommieGIR posted:

The FBI investigated him and figured out he was full of poo poo.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Listening to the Comey briefing, this dude was a guy who claimed to be affilitated with every terrorist group he ever heard of, including opposing groups and even Sunni and Shia groups simultaneously. He's the my uncle works at Nintendo of terrorism and there's nothing to be learned from this guy.

My Canadian Terror-Cell Contact, you've never met him :shobon:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The second time the FBI looked into him, it's because they were talking to another terrorism suspect, they asked him if he knew anyone else that was radicalized and he said "Well, there was this one guy but he got married and had a kid and got a job so I don't think he ended up being radicalized" and that was that.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Jesus loving Christ, I had forgotten that little post-Sandy Hook horror.

What horrible loving people.

E: I think you posted the wrong article, but here's what I remember seeing http://mediamatters.org/blog/2015/12/08/fox-news-tells-young-children-to-run-at-active/207321

LeeMajors fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Jun 13, 2016

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Popular Thug Drink posted:

agreed, we should also find all his cousins + extended family and sentence them to the rice fields for a generation

His dad has youtube videos claiming allegiance to the Taliban and the last I checked, we were still at war, I mean in an informal military conflict, with the Taliban. I got no problem with loving up his father's life for raising a son that killed 50 innocent people.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Boon posted:

Agreed.

I guess it was the broken gun culture of France we have to blame for the Bataclan, or the broken gun culture of Norway for Brevik.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

LeJackal posted:

I guess it was the broken gun culture of France we have to blame for the Bataclan, or the broken gun culture of Norway for Brevik.

Hey, if you could just kindly gently caress off forever, that'd be great.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

LeJackal posted:

goddamn you're awful and stupid

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LeJackal posted:

Shouldn't you be calling this latest attack a hoax you piece of poo poo?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LeJackal posted:

Get back in your hole.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

LeJackal posted:

If you don't think gun culture is broken then you have to take into account that the same people argue that it isn't broken are usually the same people who don't believe in universal healthcare.

And the reason that doesn't make sense is because those people who are in favor of calling the ownership of a deadly weapon created by man a right given by God, but the basic fundamental thing you need to be alive (health) is not.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Those gay folks should have used their AIDS poison blood to stop this shooter.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

TBeats posted:

If you don't think gun culture is broken then you have to take into account that the same people argue that it isn't broken are usually the same people who don't believe in universal healthcare.

Our general culture is the US is broken, toxic with greed and capitalism. Guns make a convenient scapegoat that allow you to ignore the underlying issues that drive violence.

Universal healthcare should be free to all, by the way. Abolish the private insurance industry.

TBeats posted:

And the reason that doesn't make sense is because those people who are in favor of calling the ownership of a deadly weapon created by man a right given by God, but the basic fundamental thing you need to be alive (health) is not.

I, for one, disagree.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

LeJackal posted:

Our general culture is the US is broken, toxic with greed and capitalism. Guns make a convenient scapegoat that allow you to ignore the underlying issues that drive violence.

Universal healthcare should be free to all, by the way. Abolish the private insurance industry.

I, for one, disagree.

This whole post has to be a hoax.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LeJackal posted:

I, for one, disagree.

False flag spotted. Why won't Trump do something about this?

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

LeJackal posted:

Yea guys, the tool that criminals and murderers use that exemplifies the underlying issues of violence is just a convenient scapegoat.

I mean, gosh, why would we want to make it harder for people who prefer to use this tool of violence to beget violence?

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I'm glad that I'm not into guns because hearing about fifty people getting slaughtered and going "I've got to defend my guns, they need me" seems like a real hosed up existence I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

LeJackal posted:

Breivik idolized American gun culture and the American gangster lifestyle even before getting involved with white nationalists online, who were (surprise!) largely Americans.

You're not making the point you thought you were, and should probably become familiar with an event before using it to concern-troll about your precious toys. I recommend One Of Us by Seierstad if you actually care to learn something from all this.

Or you can ignore this. I wonder which.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

This whole post has to be a hoax.

Oh no, it turns out that real people are more complex than the strawmen that you dream up.

How terrible.

• Locked thread