Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
black potus
Jul 13, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Are you going to play all 45 of your drafted cards in your deck?

If not, what's the difference between drafting some marginal card that you won't play 12th pick and raredrafting a card that will pay for another draft 1st pick?

Gonna hazard a guess that the difference is the 12th pick will be from slimmer pickings than the first but I'm not sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Chill la Chill posted:

Seeing a draft that's proceeding as quiet as a library is the worst thing. I've seen it before. It's maddening.

There is a happy medium between poker-faced wanna-be-pros doing a timed draft in silence and complete chaos.

The FNM draft at the shop I go to is pretty casual, people talk a bit, but we try to enforce a few basic things, like:

-Don't train packs. If someone is still making a pick and you've already passed them a pack, don't pass them a second pack. You can gently rib them for being a slow-poke if they're not a new player, but don't loving train packs. Just don't.
-Have a single face-down pile for your picks so far, preferably on top of your unopened packs so it's completely unambiguous
-Don't actually show your picks or tell people what cards you've taken or are passing.
-Seriously, don't loving train packs.

Apart from that it's pretty loose.There will always be people saying stuff like "wow this pack is just terrible" or "geez can I just take this whole pack" or "hah of course that crappy rare tabled" which obviously wouldn't fly at competitive REL, but gently caress it, it's FNM. Or often people will be talking about something completely unrelated to Magic during the draft.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

80s James Hetfield posted:

The whole point of drafting is to put together a deck from the pack of cards you're given. If after 2 packs you're running solely U/G and in your 3rd pack you pull the hot new white mythic and you take it for the only reason that it's $45.00 you've ruined what the point of drafting is.

Hey everyone, get a load of this guy!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So the open is coming to DFW the weekend after next. Its either standard modern jund or boggles with maindeck leylines. I am torn.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

The whole point of drafting is to put together a deck from the pack of cards you're given. If after 2 packs you're running solely U/G and in your 3rd pack you pull the hot new white mythic and you take it for the only reason that it's $45.00 you've ruined what the point of drafting is.

LOL. The point of drafting is to make a good fun deck but it's also to add to your collection without just opening packs and then throwing out the junk commons/uncommons. I just did an Eternal Masters draft where I p3p1 took a Chrome Mox over a Fact or Fiction that would have been great for my deck. I took a Sinkhole when I wasn't in black. If you would pass a $45+ rare for a $.05 common that is good for your deck you must have a whole lot more disposable income than I do.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

The point of drafting is to have fun and draft more. If I pull a card that will pay for my next three drafts, I'd say that's absolutely the point.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
The purpose of drafting is to explain to strangers on the internet that they're having fun the wrong way

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
The point of Draft is to let WotC dodge gambling accusations. :v:

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!
The point of drafting is to pile shuffle. :v:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sickening posted:

So the open is coming to DFW the weekend after next. Its either standard modern jund or boggles with maindeck leylines. I am torn.

I'm Kizudarake, and if you don't play boggles, then gently caress you.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

kizudarake posted:

I'm Kizudarake, and if you don't play boggles, then gently caress you.

I really don't get why people play boggles. It is a boring deck to play and a boring deck to play against.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Madmarker posted:

I really don't get why people play boggles. It is a boring deck to play and a boring deck to play against.

Trolling, mostly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Madmarker posted:

Outside of maybe lantern there isn't another deck that puts people on tilt harder. I bring it out every once in a while for fnm and the occasional competitive rel. There is only one thing that tilts players more than a game 1 leyline, its a turn one bogle. Together they are glorious.

Cedric did qualify for the pro tour with it so....

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/mtr2-12/

Lol the spergs weren't even right about cell phones at regular draft.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 13, 2016

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

BJPaskoff posted:

You can't look up card prices in the middle of a draft, it's outside information.

It super isn't at Regular REL - see MTR 2.12

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Entropic posted:

There is a happy medium between poker-faced wanna-be-pros doing a timed draft in silence and complete chaos.

The FNM draft at the shop I go to is pretty casual, people talk a bit, but we try to enforce a few basic things, like:

-Don't train packs. If someone is still making a pick and you've already passed them a pack, don't pass them a second pack. You can gently rib them for being a slow-poke if they're not a new player, but don't loving train packs. Just don't.
-Have a single face-down pile for your picks so far, preferably on top of your unopened packs so it's completely unambiguous
-Don't actually show your picks or tell people what cards you've taken or are passing.
-Seriously, don't loving train packs.

Apart from that it's pretty loose.There will always be people saying stuff like "wow this pack is just terrible" or "geez can I just take this whole pack" or "hah of course that crappy rare tabled" which obviously wouldn't fly at competitive REL, but gently caress it, it's FNM. Or often people will be talking about something completely unrelated to Magic during the draft.

Why is training packs such a huge deal?

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Sickening posted:

Outside of maybe lantern there isn't another deck that puts people on tilt harder. I bring it out every once in a while for fnm and the occasional competitive rel. There is only one thing that tilts players more than a game 1 leyline, its a turn one bogle. Together they are glorious.

If they ever reprint elvish spirit guide in modern, I'm going up to 63 cards main deck.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

DangerDongs posted:

It can cause some folks to confuse which pack they're meant to be taking next, but it's not really a big deal

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Do people still like Suppression Field in Bogles? I feel like that card sees way less play than it should.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Do people still like Suppression Field in Bogles? I feel like that card sees way less play than it should.

Gets cut a lot these days now that bogles doesn't have to worry as much about auto-losing to twin.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sickening posted:

http://blogs.magicjudges.org/rules/mtr2-12/

Lol the spergs weren't even right about cell phones at regular draft.
Oh, neat! Thank you.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nebalebadingdong posted:

burger review #9

The Burger Draft

This was a bit of an odd one. There's a place in Atlantic City New Jersey called The Burger Buddies that advertises a $100 "burger draft". The advert said you had to build the best burger you could from what ingredients were available. For a hundred bucks, one would normally not expect you to have to put it together.

I show up, pay my hundred dollars, and they randomly sort all the ingredients into a bunch of cardboard boxes. Then they hand each person a box. You pick one ingredient and pass the box on to the next person. Do this until all the boxes are empty and then you build your burger with what you have. There was a surprising amount of strategy to it. One guy drafted all the tomatoes. One guy had a burger that had 8 different patties in it. One guy got lucky and got a patty that had been cooked with foil paper mixed in, so it was all shiny. I ended up with a burger that was 50% lettuce and a bunch of mayo packets I refused to put on my burger. I was disappointed, but apparently correct burger drafting takes alot of practice!

If you want your burger to come with a challenge, then I think The Burger Draft would be right for you. Just be prepared to end up with a really bad burger if you don't know what you're doing!

Rating: B+

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Drafted EMA again last night. Went 2-1 and ended up in b/g "elves" with black value creatures (gravedigger, nekrataal, phyrexian gargantua, phyrexian rager) and only 8 elves. 2 llanowar, 2 plague witch, elvish vangaurd, lys alana scarblade, lys alana huntmaster, and a timberwatch elf. Oh and a Fact or Fiction because that card is bonkers and should not have been 6th pick. Even with as few elves as I had timberwatch elf was still crazy good. Especially in the elf mirror in round 3. Best play of the game was after my opponent cast a squadron hawk and searched up 2 more of them I got to cabal therapy two of them out of his hand.

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

This looks to have a lot better EV than drafting EMA. Thanks for the heads up.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

DangerDongs posted:

Because inevitably someone picks up the wrong pile and everyone is confused at having the wrong number of cards in their last couple picks, or someone reaches for a pack and smushes two piles together.

It's just a dumb thing to do because it can screw with the draft and it doesn't actually speed anything up.

It's like rushing to be the first one in line to get on the plane. The plane isn't going to leave any faster because you were first in line.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 13, 2016

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

It can cause some folks to confuse which pack they're meant to be taking next, but it's not really a big deal

When I get railroaded I usually just ask the guy what the order of the packs are to make sure

Personally I turn the even piles sideways which helps cut down on confusion

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

This analogy only works if a lot of the boxes just contain literal garbage

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

little munchkin posted:

The purpose of drafting is to explain to strangers on the internet that they're having fun the wrong way

on the other hand,

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Wait, wait, I've got it, guys.

The purpose of drafting is so that you can redraft the rares afterwards for maximum value. :shepface:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A Fancy Bloke posted:

It's a hundred bucks for a burger, it's close enough.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

A Fancy Bloke posted:

If you ask for the Richard Garfield at in n out some vengeful assistant manager picks fifteen random ingredients. Only one in eight burgers gets both buns

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
On a related note can the new slang for assistant manager be "rear end man"

Judd Stackington
Oct 27, 2015
Drafting exists to raise the EV of cracking packs by having fun with friends.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Death Bot posted:

On a related note can the new slang for assistant manager be "rear end man"

it is in football manager

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Sushi draft is an official Wizards sanctioned format.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

C-Euro posted:

I keep it in because it's really good against fetches, planeswalkers, man lands, and melira sac decks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Judd Stackington posted:

Drafting exists to raise the EV of cracking packs by having fun with friends.

:yeah:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

It's a hundred bucks for a burger, it's close enough.

yeah that restaurant must be making some insane profit off this thing

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Madmarker posted:

The less choices you have the less there is to gently caress up. It's why haymaker creature decks became so popular.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

mandatory lesbian posted:

yeah that restaurant must be making some insane profit off this thing

I don't think a restaurant that does that actually exists, it was a joke post.

A very good joke post, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

What's the point of even drafting if you're worried about the worth of cards? If you're drafting to play the game and then pull the cards of the archetype you want to play regardless of what's the worth is

If you're drafting to pull money cards and the actual game play is secondary then just go crack packs by yourself.

TLDR: Drafting is loving stupid.

What's the point of drinking a glass of water a pint of beer with dinner? If you're hungry you should be eating, if you're thirsty you should be drinking, why do things together?

• Locked thread