Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

Wintermutant posted:

I have never seen another game company kiss as much rear end as Overkill has the past few months. The microtransactions have been continually neutered, and are being removed entirely in the next update.

I thought they were removed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Psion posted:

also that E3 bundle is a hot pile of poo poo except I'm kinda interested in Grey Goo, but I don't want to spend $10 on Grey Goo and a pile of add-on garbage I'll never, ever use. Ugh.

Celebrate E3 2016 by buying a bunch of useless tat in bad F2P games.

Wintermutant posted:

I can't tell from how small that picture is; are those the same E3 masks as last year, or a new set?

The 2015 masks were card-themed and these seem to be sci-fi-ish from the tiny thumbnail, so I don't think so. I'm guessing they'll reveal them later today.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 13, 2016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Malek posted:

I thought they were removed

The old safes don't drop anymore but any of them that dropped still exist and I think you still need drills to open. So there's a limited number of dumb safes sitting out in the wild still. But come the new safe update the new drill less generation will hit.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Psion posted:

also that E3 bundle is a hot pile of poo poo except I'm kinda interested in Grey Goo, but I don't want to spend $10 on Grey Goo and a pile of add-on garbage I'll never, ever use. Ugh.

Same here, which is why I asking about the masks. If they're new, I'm not going to even try to pretend I won't be picking that bundle up.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

Wintermutant posted:

Same here, which is why I asking about the masks. If they're new, I'm not going to even try to pretend I won't be picking that bundle up.

Well I bought it because I know people who like those weird games, but I think they need to actually update the game to put them in if they're new. I'm not seeing anything different, but I remember other humble bundle masks requiring an update to be put into the game.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I have so many masks I never, ever use - including the ones from last year's E3 pack - that I'm really not interested in yet more poo poo I'll never use

gotta save my steam pennies for Ron Perlman

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Dr Cheeto posted:

Diff is a bit hard to explain succinctly, but it's a variable that goes up over the course of loud gameplay until it reaches 100%. Higher diff increases the number of assault spawns, extends the Sustain phase and changes the composition of enemy groups. Basically, expect to see more cops during assault waves on DW.

oh I forgot to mention but if anyone wants to report things to Overkill, ask them to bring back the longer pyro sequence for Alesso DW, and if they want to go the extra mile, suggest that they lock the assault to full intensity for the entire pyro duration, breaking when the sequence is done (and conveniently, if the cops despawn up top they won't have pathing issues getting from the top floor down to the basement where the players go next)

as in, I don't understand why they didn't do this already, considering how hard it is for the AI to get into the basement unless they spawn in it. Alesso used to do things like this, or so it felt to us - it used to be super intense during the pyro and had more guys in the basement. Now it's oddly quiet and I don't like it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Geight posted:

Aren't they already 'removed' as of Update 100, as any new safe that they add will drop without requiring a drill to unlock?

The actual spawn change, and the new set of safes, will hit on the 24th.

Psion posted:

oh I forgot to mention but if anyone wants to report things to Overkill, ask them to bring back the longer pyro sequence for Alesso DW, and if they want to go the extra mile, suggest that they lock the assault to full intensity for the entire pyro duration, breaking when the sequence is done (and conveniently, if the cops despawn up top they won't have pathing issues getting from the top floor down to the basement where the players go next)

as in, I don't understand why they didn't do this already, considering how hard it is for the AI to get into the basement unless they spawn in it. Alesso used to do things like this, or so it felt to us - it used to be super intense during the pyro and had more guys in the basement. Now it's oddly quiet and I don't like it.

I'll bug them about that once they start really working on the difficulty pass. Most different experiences on Alesso stem from high variance in pathing because of the heist layout. Although it's nowhere near as bad as it once was, enemies can still "have trouble" getting from the bottom of the heist to the top, and vice versa. The other change, which I think you remember, is that once upon a time placing a bag in a chute set the game to infinite assault. Alesso now only gets up to .75 diff, and there's no infinite assault at the end.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 13, 2016

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Yeah - when they do, I strongly advocate that they set it to full diff, none of this 75% poo poo. The infinite assault when you put a bag in a chute I could take or leave; I think it's awesome but might be too much of a deathtrap for some.

pyro, though, no excuse. that's gotta be where it's the craziest.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Psion posted:

Yeah - when they do, I strongly advocate that they set it to full diff, none of this 75% poo poo. The infinite assault when you put a bag in a chute I could take or leave; I think it's awesome but might be too much of a deathtrap for some.

:agreed:

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Actually, is diff something you can modify easily with lua? I'd take a shot at making an Alesso Funwish mod. I fuckin' love that heist but it's just not intense enough. Either that map specifically or a global override so every heist would have my probably insane diff values (ramp to 1 from the very start, sure!)

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Sometimes when the stars align you actually get a pyro sequence that has a lot of cops, but most times it happens during a fade or the spawns just break and it's the lamest poo poo.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Psion posted:

Actually, is diff something you can modify easily with lua? I'd take a shot at making an Alesso Funwish mod. I fuckin' love that heist but it's just not intense enough. Either that map specifically or a global override so every heist would have my probably insane diff values (ramp to 1 from the very start, sure!)

I think that would be pretty straightforward; I don't think diff has any dependencies. The trick would be excluding all the calls that change diff value in the heist, which are heist-specific. That would take some time. Oh, just for Alesso? that would be easy, yeah. Conditional to the mod being active, set it to 1 at start and cut off the three script calls that change its value. I think diff is derived from host, but not positive; client-host desync is always something to watch out for.

Psion posted:

I'd have it start the infinite assault when you pick up the first bag, since it's an action players have to take- a big part of the problem with the original layout was it made players intentionally avoid the chutes. That said, the big problem of the diff 1 infinite assault is that enemy pathing is still highly variable. If they cluster in one of three areas (side stairs, lobby, award room, route dependent), the heist becomes much more difficult. I don't have a solution there, but it's probably why the devs never put the diff back up to 1 or reactivated the infinite assault.

UnknownMercenary posted:

Sometimes when the stars align you actually get a pyro sequence that has a lot of cops, but most times it happens during a fade or the spawns just break and it's the lamest poo poo.

Enemy pathing is actually at its most borked inside the pyro area. There's a major tendency for spawngroups that come out of the elevator to go almost immediately stationary as they try to target the player in the pyro booth.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 13, 2016

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Can we get some pictures of these loving e3 masks? I can't find any online.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Nobody has pictures because they're not patched in yet.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

UnknownMercenary posted:

Nobody has pictures because they're not patched in yet.

I was hoping overkill posted bigger pictures somewhere and I just couldn't find them. :negative:

That's super lame.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

RAID: World War 2 announce trailer just hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMOk5_tOJTc

Very stylized, different from earlier images we got. No gameplay footage.

edit: hah, the website is...wrong.

https://www.raidworldwar2.com

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 13, 2016

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

UnknownMercenary posted:

My best time playing Alesso was a DW where the Pyros coincided with a whole assault, and the 'smoke grenades don't despawn' glitch started up partway through, so by the end I was desperately inputting the last sequences as two dozers pushed the others into the booth as the emerged from the massive smoke cloud that filled the rest of the space. Nothing like this has happened since, and it makes me sad. Add persistent smoke to the booth after the fire event, Overkill!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
Those faces for RAID look... unfortunate.

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

RAID: World War 2 announce trailer just hit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMOk5_tOJTc

Very stylized, different from earlier images we got. No gameplay footage.

And a link to their official site!

http://raidworldwar2.com/

Oh. Hm.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Someone with a twitter account should message them and ask about the website.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
So all raid faces are going to look goofy as if they were polygons from the original wolfenstein/doom on purpose?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Geight posted:

I think Hardcore Henry is a fun movie, not a great work of art or anything but it's a fun watch so long as you're not the type of person who gets motion sickness.

The problem with Hardcore Henry is that it's... kind of a giant wet fart. The action scenes, other than the one they released as a preview clip where British-Jimmy and Henry are in the abandoned building "defending the cripple," are basically incomprehensible; they're a literal blur of random mook deaths. There's no pauses to let a cool thing breathe for a second. It's a case study in why having a good flow to your fight choreography is important; take the climactic action scene on the rooftop from HH, and compare it with this fight from The Raid: Redemption, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dUp2uOcEY0

The Raid has faster pacing than Hardcore Henry (it takes about half as long to get through the perfunctory opening exposition and has a significantly higher body count), and yet still finds way more time to just let a moment sink in. The action scenes actually bother establishing tension rather than the protagonist just immediately gently caress-you-charging forwards and wrecking his attackers in three seconds flat. The latter is nearly every action sequence in HH except for the one I mentioned earlier, with the only variable being the number of mooks getting trashed (and how long it takes to clear the whole of them out).

I love action movies, they're possibly my favorite genre, and Hardcore Henry is a flat-out poo poo action movie.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
On the other hand you`re a psycho for trying to compare those two movies

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Yeah I'm definitely not gonna try to defend Hardcore Henry versus The Raid because those are entirely different leagues of action films. I'll just say that I expected a violent, blurry romp with some funny bits and Henry delivered exactly that.

Crabtree posted:

So all raid faces are going to look goofy as if they were polygons from the original wolfenstein/doom on purpose?

It's just a stylistic choice for the trailer, I think it looks really cool. Also Wolfenstein and Doom don't have polygons, consarn it! :bahgawd:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Can someone explain Body Expertise to me? I think it basically means that every hit is a headshot but with only a percentage of the bonus damage?

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

Crabtree posted:

I think those are all masks? It's sorta hard to tell but I think I can see straps when the SS officer is pacing back and forth, and you can see his eye when he's freaking out at the train guy.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Of course it's going to have masks :haw:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Magnetic North posted:

Can someone explain Body Expertise to me? I think it basically means that every hit is a headshot but with only a percentage of the bonus damage?

Yeah basically.

All enemies have diffrent headshot modifiers, I think the police have 2x, Cloakers have 4x, dozers have x6 on the Visor and like x30 when the visor is broken. So with Body Expertiese you deal up to 60% of Gun Damage * Headshot Multiplier as bonus damage with every shot. But given how easy popping heads is in this game, it's kinda pointless.

...wait, it works on the Flamethrower? Uh. Oh.

:black101:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
Well I just want to know if that's stylistic for the movie or for the footage and gameplay. Because I can forgive it if the gameplay's good.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Well I just want to know if that's stylistic for the movie or for the footage and gameplay. Because I can forgive it if the gameplay's good.

Looks like it's probably stylistic for the movie-probably to avoid making people think they were trying to present it as ingame footage. Other LGL accounts, including the new Raid twitter, use older production art that has more realistic faces.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Kikas posted:

Yeah basically.

All enemies have diffrent headshot modifiers, I think the police have 2x, Cloakers have 4x, dozers have x6 on the Visor and like x30 when the visor is broken. So with Body Expertiese you deal up to 60% of Gun Damage * Headshot Multiplier as bonus damage with every shot. But given how easy popping heads is in this game, it's kinda pointless.

...wait, it works on the Flamethrower? Uh. Oh.

:black101:

According to the Long Guide guy, it only affects bullet damage. :sigh:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

UnknownMercenary posted:

According to the Long Guide guy, it only affects bullet damage. :sigh:

Well that's crap, since it says in the skill description that Special weapons can also activate it.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

The minigun is technically a special weapon.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I usually ace it when I'm running LMG. I haven't actually experimented with it yet to confirm, but I tentatively credit it with my post-revamp Buzzsaw killing virtually anything with a really short burst, making it super ammo efficient.

On a related note, folks gave me recommendations recently for other notably good LMGs but I can't for the life of me remember what they were since I was too busy cop clicking to take note. That may also have been before the skill revamp. Is there still any real reason to run anything other than the Buzzsaw?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Not any practical reasons, no.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Brenner has style points. :c00l:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
Style points are a real thing. Maybe I'll branch out.

I need to come up with some new builds. My silenced shotgun dodge build is great, my Buzzsaw build is great, but I haven't touched SMGs or assault rifles or pistols (not missing anything there, I know) or any of the other miscellaneous guns since the skill revamp. I just keep running those two builds and it's starting to get a little stale.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

When did the "electrodent" mask come out? I was given (and have been using) that one and I'm curious as to when it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kikas posted:

It's good and fun with a MG and the armour-piercing skill if you're like me and like just hipfiring at chest height without ever aiming.