Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yep, there is also this. https://twitter.com/oculus/status/742449767133761536

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Ciaphas posted:

- Can they be mounted well outside of your play area and still work? I'm still planning but it looks like one lighthouse is going to be about six feet off to one side of where I'll be able to safely walk
My room is around 10x20, but my play area is about 5.5x7 offset to one side. It occasionally complains about the lighthouses being further apart than they should be, but it works fine.

quote:

- Do they have to be in corners, or even opposite each other, to work?
Opposing corners is ideal to minimize occlusion, not sure how required it is.

quote:

- How high do they have to be? Ideally head height is ok, my fireplace mantle and kitchen counter are just above and just below head height, respectively, so I wouldn't have to mount them to walls
Over head height. The recommendation is to have them close to the ceiling.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

That Assasin's Creed flying game is being talked about at the Ubisoft conference right now.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm pretty excited about Giant Cop and I Expect You to DIe. I played the demo of the latter months ago on DK2 and it was pretty awesome just with a mouse. Also, I was joking when I said that Valve's big VR game would be Ricochet 2, but it looks like that Ripcoil is game is going to be similar.

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

wolrah posted:

Over head height. The recommendation is to have them close to the ceiling.

If you put them at head height or lower, then you should use the sync cable to avoid tracking getting weird when you get between them.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

homeless snail posted:

smh if you can't recognize Geordie LaForge in his natural element

SMH I will admit that it took me until just about now to realize what you meant..... :awesomelon:

Man has he (and therefor we) gotten friggin old. :ffg:

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
That Eagle Flight game looks legit fun.

It's shown off at -35:40
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B38_mAJJc0c

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It looks fun, but might be barfy and doesnt seem like a really good VR game. It doesn't immerse you in being a bird, therefore weakening its bird cred.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

It looks fun, but might be barfy and doesnt seem like a really good VR game. It doesn't immerse you in being a bird, therefore weakening its bird cred.

I dunno, doing bird trench runs looks sick. I also want to CAW CAW CAW

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Most people that have tried it said it surprisingly doesn't make them sick. The devs are doing something with decreasing the FOV that apparently helps with it. There was a demo back in the DK2 days that was sorta similar, just flying around a photorealistic landscape that really was cool, but it was just barren mountains though. Watching them flying around/under/in between those small spaces would be quite a rush.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I updated the OP with info on the new OSVR headset as well as the meanings for some key VR terms.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

theBeaz posted:

https://www.oculus.com/en-us/blog/over-30-full-games-launching-with-oculus-touch-this-year/

"This is just the beginning—there are hundreds of additional Touch titles in development, and we’ll share the full Touch lineup and launch details later this fall."

Ugh. This might be as good as we get.

Goddammit, Oculus. You dropped the ball and now you're kicking it down the stairs. :mad:

If we have to wait till September or later to get specifics on Touch, they'd better have a warehouse full of them ready to ship by the time the announcement comes.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Goddammit, Oculus. You dropped the ball and now you're kicking it down the stairs. :mad:

If we have to wait till September or later to get specifics on Touch, they'd better have a warehouse full of them ready to ship by the time the announcement comes.

Even though I would love a solid release date, I think the smart move for them after the CV1 launch fiasco would to be announce Touch like a week before it's available for shipping.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

EdEddnEddy posted:

Kazy, how are you liking them so far?

Right now I haven't played with them much, I've got them both on my desk but my mic arm/HOTAS are in the way and it isn't ideal. I'd love to wall-mount them by my drywall is shallow and kind of sucks. I'm thinking of putting them side-by-side with my Lighthouses.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
They should announce touch and during the announcement tell everyone that touches are already in transit to those who bought a Rift.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Microsoft announced Project Scorpio which looks like it will be a new Xbox that will be 4K capable and supposedly supports VR. No one seems to know if it will be Microsoft's own VR or if it will just support the Vive or Rift. It seems like Microsoft is trying to blend PC and xbox into one platform. It wouldn't surprise me if this new console is just a PC that runs a bespoke consolified windows that you can plug your current HMD into. Would be really hilarious if they get PSVR to run on it.

^^^ That would piss me off since I'm currently moving.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Reminder that a razer hydra, a shittier thing than touch in pretty much every way, costs $499.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
Don't worry Cojawfee Facebook knows where you live. :v:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Poetic Justice posted:

Most people that have tried it said it surprisingly doesn't make them sick. The devs are doing something with decreasing the FOV that apparently helps with it. There was a demo back in the DK2 days that was sorta similar, just flying around a photorealistic landscape that really was cool, but it was just barren mountains though. Watching them flying around/under/in between those small spaces would be quite a rush.

Wasn't that the Unreal powered Hangglider demo? That was pretty cool in VR back when I tried it, however it needed more oomph than my 780 could do (didn't work with SLI) with the graphics maxed out.

Cojawfee posted:

Microsoft announced Project Scorpio which looks like it will be a new Xbox that will be 4K capable and supposedly supports VR. No one seems to know if it will be Microsoft's own VR or if it will just support the Vive or Rift. It seems like Microsoft is trying to blend PC and xbox into one platform. It wouldn't surprise me if this new console is just a PC that runs a bespoke consolified windows that you can plug your current HMD into. Would be really hilarious if they get PSVR to run on it.

^^^ That would piss me off since I'm currently moving.

Considering they have sort of already paired with Oculus a little, I wouldn't be surprised if they just allowed you to plug in a Oculus/Vive and supported them natively through some sort of XboxVR Runtime of sorts.

Time will tell right now at least.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks all for the lighthouse answers. Guess I'll just get a buddy with a drill to come over when the Vive shows up so I can mount them properly, and hope my apartment manager doesn't notice the spackling when I move out :v:

i also irrationally fear drilling into a wire by mistake but i guess that's not bloody likely

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I remember that hang glider thing, that was awesome. You had to turn the settings down with some voodoo because it didn't have a menu or anything but I got it to run on my GTX 660 before I got my GTX 970.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Truga posted:

Reminder that a razer hydra, a shittier thing than touch in pretty much every way, costs $499.

And a lovely 3D mouse glove that came out in the early 2000s cost $200 when it came out. You can't really compare prices of these things.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Cojawfee posted:

And a lovely 3D mouse glove that came out in the early 2000s cost $200 when it came out. You can't really compare prices of these things.

I can tell you that these things will be "in the same ballpark" as the headset thou :v:

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

The devs are doing something with decreasing the FOV that apparently helps with it.

You don't (well, maybe shouldn't is the better word) have any control over FOV in VR. The FOV you have to render at is completely dictated by the optics and geometry of the HMD, trying to adjust it for artistic/design reasons will cause serious comfort problems to the point of being unviewable.

Edit: Also, the Razer Hydra only cost ~$175 when new, it's only because they don't make them anymore and there's a limited supply that the price has shot up to such ridiculous levels.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

EdEddnEddy posted:

Wasn't that the Unreal powered Hangglider demo? That was pretty cool in VR back when I tried it, however it needed more oomph than my 780 could do (didn't work with SLI) with the graphics maxed out.

TomR posted:

I remember that hang glider thing, that was awesome. You had to turn the settings down with some voodoo because it didn't have a menu or anything but I got it to run on my GTX 660 before I got my GTX 970.

I think so yeah, I remember it chugged quite a bit on the 770 I had at the time, but even then the sense of speed was pretty amazing.

Hierophant posted:

You don't (well, maybe shouldn't is the better word) have any control over FOV in VR. The FOV you have to render at is completely dictated by the optics and geometry of the HMD, trying to adjust it for artistic/design reasons will cause serious comfort problems to the point of being unviewable.

Adrift actually does something similar. If I'm remembering what I read about Eagle Flight correctly, the outer part of view goes dark/black. Apparently it helps? I dunno. With Adrift you press a button and you can only see like a dime/quarter size circle in front of you and everything else blacks out. So it's not changing the FOV, just masking some of it.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 13, 2016

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks all for the lighthouse answers. Guess I'll just get a buddy with a drill to come over when the Vive shows up so I can mount them properly, and hope my apartment manager doesn't notice the spackling when I move out :v:

i also irrationally fear drilling into a wire by mistake but i guess that's not bloody likely

The Lighthouses aren't really a black or white thing. When I first got my Vive I just put them on bookshelves to test them out, which was 98% fine but had some occlusion issues if I got too low/in an area shadowed by the bookcase they were on/etc. Later I switched to the mounts, which not only put them higher up but allowed them to be tilted downwards instead of sitting flat, and that greatly reduced any occlusion issues. You could totally just set one on your desk like the Oculus cameras and the other on a table behind you if you wanted, but the better positioned they are the better they'll work.

In other news, Razer announced their OSVR headset. Specs are similar to the Rift, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Rift still has a bit better comfort/optics. The important part is the price, $399. Assuming no issues, that and the new RX 480 should bring the ceiling for a VR capable system down to about $1100 or so, though that's without motion controls so you'd mainly be limited to Oculus games played through Revive.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Here's an example of them blacking out the outside FOV in Eagle Flight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzAgKgBEEAc

This is from when they first announced/showed it off, so things might change by the time of release, of course.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I noticed the OSVR 2.0 says it has a dual-screen OLED as the same resolution as the Rift/Vive, but it doesn't mention anything at all about an actual IPD adjustment. Seems like a no-brainer, but I wouldn't take it for granted. Did anyone here/see confirmation of IPD adjustment?

Cojawfee posted:

I feel like they would have to make an entirely new game in order to add VR in to Fallout. Like the guy mentions in the article. Teleporting completely nullifies the need for a sneak skill. You could sneak across a hallway hoping the raider doesn't see you, or just teleport across the hallway. Unless they make the teleport be really loud and have lots of flashing light to make it very obvious that someone is teleporting around. They are going to have to rework a lot of the game to prevent cheesing everything with VR.

You say this like Sneak wasn't the most buggy poo poo in Fallout 4 already...

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://twitter.com/oculus/status/742472995780710401

Oculus thing on youtube according to tweeter in twelve minutes

Hierophant
Oct 21, 2007

Poetic Justice posted:

Adrift actually does something similar. If I'm remembering what I read about Eagle Flight correctly, the outer part of view goes dark/black. Apparently it helps? I dunno. With Adrift you press a button and you can only see like a dime/quarter size circle in front of you and everything else blacks out. So it's not changing the FOV, just masking some of it.

Oh, yeah, I suppose you can mask out part of the user's field of view, but that seems like kind of a waste to me.

Bremen posted:

In other news, Razer announced their OSVR headset. Specs are similar to the Rift, though I wouldn't be surprised if the Rift still has a bit better comfort/optics. The important part is the price, $399. Assuming no issues, that and the new RX 480 should bring the ceiling for a VR capable system down to about $1100 or so, though that's without motion controls so you'd mainly be limited to Oculus games played through Revive.

It'll be interesting to see what happens after Valve opens up the lighthouse tracking to third parties, since that will make the hardest part of VR hardware (roomscale 6dof tracking) available to anybody.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Hierophant posted:

Oh, yeah, I suppose you can mask out part of the user's field of view, but that seems like kind of a waste to me.

It works decently well; it has the effect of deliberately breaking the illusion of presence, making it feel more like you're watching a screen than being in a place. They don't do it all the time, just in extreme tricks like loop-de-loops.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

How the gently caress can you announce that there will be 30 titles this year but not announce a release date for oculus touch????

This basically means its going to "ship" dec 31st and theyll ship like 10 units and then have some huge production delay thing that means everyone will really get their oculus touch well into january/february.. cool

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

https://twitter.com/oculus/status/742472995780710401

Oculus thing on youtube according to tweeter in twelve minutes
Don't know if it's meant to be the main stream but I see no oculus dude atm.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Don't know if it's meant to be the main stream but I see no oculus dude atm.

Yeah I didn't see anything either. I checked some other spots on the site but didn't see it either. Oh well!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

I noticed the OSVR 2.0 says it has a dual-screen OLED as the same resolution as the Rift/Vive, but it doesn't mention anything at all about an actual IPD adjustment. Seems like a no-brainer, but I wouldn't take it for granted. Did anyone here/see confirmation of IPD adjustment?

They mentioned something about each lens being able to adjust +4.5 and -2. I can only assume that this is referring to lens prescription, because those numbers don't mean anything else to me. If they are doing that, then they have to have some sort of IPD adjustment as well. Even if it is just moving a slider to a certain mark and then telling the OSVR software where you have it set. Sort of like the lens distance on the Rift DK2.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Is Holoball or Cyberpong the better ball bouncing game?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I didn't really like Holoball but they updated it since I played it and it might be better now. It's pretty cheap either way. I don't know anything about Cyberpong.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Cojawfee posted:

I'm pretty excited about Giant Cop and I Expect You to DIe. I played the demo of the latter months ago on DK2 and it was pretty awesome just with a mouse. Also, I was joking when I said that Valve's big VR game would be Ricochet 2, but it looks like that Ripcoil is game is going to be similar.

I expect you to die was one of those demos that blew me away, that I couldn't wait to see more of.... until I almost forgot about it through the passage of time, like that vox machine game. Its nice there's enough cool stuff coming out that I can't keep track of all of it anymore. Back in the DK2 days there was basically your handful of demos that everyone knew about. Its really crazy how far all this VR stuff has come in just a few years.

wolrah posted:

In non-Bethesda news, OSVR announced their version 2.0 headset: https://www.engadget.com/2016/06/13/osvr-hacker-development-kit-2/

Basically they upgraded the display to modern VR spec, 2160x1200 OLED @ 90Hz, and bumped the price up $100 to $399. I definitely want to try one of these things, on paper it's a less-polished Rift at 2/3 the price, it'll be interesting to see how close it actually is in real life.

I still don't know what their aim is here? Yeah its cheap, but for that cheap you can't use the oculus store without a 3rd party hack that doesn't work for everything and could break, and theres no controllers so you can't play any touch/vive games anyways. On top of that unless they've completely changed up their camera tracking (which who knows they might), It's going to have a tiny DK2 level of tracking so you won't even be able to stand and walk around like you can with the vive/oculus even if stem ever comes out to give you controlers.

Like, great that they're making more options available, but it hardly seems like much of an option at all from what I've seen so far from this one and from the first.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
Rubin is on now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I love holoball it's sublime