Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm just glad Mango has gotten around to painting his Blood Angels

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
My assault cannons are going to look sick in ivory and gold. Bling within, bling without.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Thundercloud posted:

Help Bulbasaur out and ask about the Iron Warriors Havocs and Tyrants.

What are you talking about? Gorgons and immortals are already out.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Finished my second Contemptor today:

I even magnetized the big lug!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I hate to say it, but the groin bit is very cattywampus. Great work otherwise

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

I hate to say it, but the groin bit is very cattywampus. Great work otherwise

Yeah, I noticed after I assembled it that I should have had his upper body roll a little more with the legs; I think I was a little more ambitious with the pose than I'm used to. Right now the torso is basically straight up while the legs are at an angle and his torso should be following suit; damned if I'll take the guy apart though.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

SRM posted:

Finished my second Contemptor today:

I've often wondered this, but where do the guy's legs go? Or do they just saw his body in half before they stick him in the sarcophagus?

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
IIRC its only his torso, head and armstumps that are in a dreadnought.

Edit: You know what I hate? When people use fluff as a synonym for low-power. I'll show y'all fluffy when I bring my Anacharis Scoria Vorax-MurderMachine.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 14, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I need your help. My bases are one of the first color schemes I ever created. Since I painted them back when I was doing individual models, when my army is actually together it all blends together into a blur. Granted, looks really awesome on tables with a similar color palette, but that's almost never. I'd like something newer that makes my models pop more, removes some of the noise, and transitions me to 32mm.

Here's my original basing job:

And here are the new candidates:

Classic Reloaded (Brown, Brown + Rocks)

Arid (Red, Yellow)

Badlands (Brown, Red + Rocks)

Which of the new ones do you dudes like? There's two that I have in mind, but I'd appreciate your suggestions and feedback.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Badlands. Definitely badlands. Also give me your badlands recipe.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Agreed, badlands owns. The red is a great contrast to the armor colors, but has that slightly desaturated look that matches the rest of the army (unlike arid).

Also that Contemptor is clean as hell, love it. The pelvic joint is kinda funky yeah, but it doesn't detract from the model.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Badlands.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Do a snow base with real glass shards

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

panascope posted:

Ground glass, surely.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Goddamn Iron Hands Praevians are stupid.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 14, 2016

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I thought you played Iron Warriors?

panascope posted:

Gona rebase your dreadclaw with cat litter

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

I thought you played Iron Warriors?

Gona rebase your dreadclaw with cat litter

Buddy of mine was using one in a shattered legions list. Them and the Gorgons died HARD, just blizzards of predator fire.
The IVth legion armored breakthrough came out on top though. It's a REALLY fun RoW

This is where I'm at on an Iron Codpiece.

I'm thinking about changing that gold, I wanted it to stick out but that might be too much.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 15, 2016

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."
Finally got off my rear end and painted some duders :

The Sisko posted:

Still got a few details to rap up but by and large these guy are done. As always feedback and criticism are welcome.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Oh gently caress that metallic armor is gorgeous. Shame it's a bunch of dirty heretic traitors.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
They own, my shiny metal brosef.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

So I'm going to be doing Word Bearers, and was going to do a charcoal grey scheme with bronze highlights- not quite pre-Heresy, but the same idea.

I'll be allying in Demons (Khorne), and a buddy gave me some Bloodletters to fiddle around with. I did some airbrushing and painting today, and came up with this scheme - what are your thoughts?

Bases unfinished, will be probably just dark grey with a light grey drybrush, and a dark grey base rim.

I also realise these guys do look quite speckly very close up - you can't see that at all when just looking at them!

List is currently Zardu Layak with 20 marines, 10 Ashen Circle, Sicaran, Sicaran Venator - allied in 20 Bloodletters, 15 Flesh Hounds, Demon Prince w/ Wings, Bloodthirster (2000pts)

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

What do you all think about this 2,000 pt Death Guard list? I finally have enough Hams to actually put something more than 500 pts together.

The only other stuff I really have to swap is a Contemptor with Lascannons, a squad of jet pack Destroyers, and a Moritat.

+++ Death Guard 2000 (1997pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1997pts) ++

+ HQ (547pts) +

Legion Centurion (170pts) [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, 2x Phosphex Bombs, Power Scythe, Rad Grenades, Refractor Field]
····Consul [Siege Breaker]

Legion Praetor (377pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Combi-Weapon, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Paragon Blade, Rad Grenades]
····Deathshroud Terminator Squad [4x Deathshroud Terminators, Melta Bombs]
····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

+ Troops (775pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (275pts) [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamers, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 8x Legion Space Marines]
····Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Rad Grenades]

Legion Tactical Squad (250pts) [15x Legion Tactical Space Marines]
····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Scythe, Rad Grenades]

····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

+ Fast Attack (240pts) +

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter (240pts) [Ground-tracking Auguries, Phosphex bomb cluster, Ramjet Diffraction Grid, 2x Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles]

+ Heavy Support (435pts) +

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (165pts)
····Legion Medusa [Extra Armour]

Legion Land Raider Battle Squadron (270pts)
····Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XIV: Death Guard]

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sisko posted:

Finally got off my rear end and painted some duders :

Can't wait to shoot these guys

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

I'd definitely consider a zenithal prime for these guys. Then push your highlights even more to make the guy pop. Something like:

-Zenithal Prime
-Basecoat
-Highlight
-2nd Highlight

Then you can experiment- hit it with a wash if you like, and then use a wet paper towel to remove it from all the raised edges. Follow up with a line highlight by brush.

DrPop posted:

What do you all think about this 2,000 pt Death Guard list? I finally have enough Hams to actually put something more than 500 pts together.

The only other stuff I really have to swap is a Contemptor with Lascannons, a squad of jet pack Destroyers, and a Moritat.

+++ Death Guard 2000 (1997pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Crusade Army List (Age of Darkness) (1997pts) ++

+ HQ (547pts) +

Legion Centurion (170pts) [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, 2x Phosphex Bombs, Power Scythe, Rad Grenades, Refractor Field]
····Consul [Siege Breaker]

Legion Praetor (377pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Combi-Weapon, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Paragon Blade, Rad Grenades]
····Deathshroud Terminator Squad [4x Deathshroud Terminators, Melta Bombs]
····Master of the Legion [The Reaping]

+ Troops (775pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (275pts) [Chem-munitions, Heavy Flamers, Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, 8x Legion Space Marines]
····Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Rad Grenades]

····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Scythe, Rad Grenades]

····Legion Tactical Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs, Power Fist, Rad Grenades]

+ Fast Attack (240pts) +

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter (240pts) [Ground-tracking Auguries, Phosphex bomb cluster, Ramjet Diffraction Grid, 2x Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles]

+ Heavy Support (435pts) +

Legion Artillery Tank Squadron (165pts)
····Legion Medusa [Extra Armour]

Legion Land Raider Battle Squadron (270pts)
····Land Raider Phobos [Armoured Ceramite]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [Traitor, XIV: Death Guard]

That ain't bad, actually. The only thing that jumps out at me would be vexillas for your tacticool squads. You could drop the diffraction grid for those. You're also like 50 points away from a Spartan instead of a Phobos. What's the plan for the centurion? You don't have much AT or Anti Air, so you could consider swapping him out for a lascannon mortis.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

BULBASAUR posted:

That ain't bad, actually. The only thing that jumps out at me would be vexillas for your tacticool squads. You could drop the diffraction grid for those. You're also like 50 points away from a Spartan instead of a Phobos. What's the plan for the centurion? You don't have much AT or Anti Air, so you could consider swapping him out for a lascannon mortis.

Thanks for the suggestions. Will definitely try to get vexillas in there.

Plan for the Centurion is to ride with the flamer boys and toss phosphex and land medusa shells. I'm not sure it's the best idea, but I really, really wanted at least one phosphex-slinging dude in my Death Guard army. Seemed right.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Can't argue with that. And it's fluffy. Just wish his tank hunter wasn't going to go to waste in a flamer squad. For those points you could grab yourself another medusa.

I've been playing around with Iron Tide lists and I do think the Siege Breaker is a pricey way to unlock AP3 thudd guns and medusa shells. Unless you bring lots of them I guess.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Here's a dude selling all his armies. They are pricey, but well done. There's a 30k Iron Warriors army in there.

I actually bought a Khorne Daemonkin army from him and love it. So maybe others want to check out his other stuff. He's in Austria, everything arrived in a good shape and his painting is quite good. If you want to drop lots of money on hams...and what ham doesn't?

http://www.ebay.com/usr/michaeljahl?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Edit: Holy schnickes, my wife got me a Fire Raptor and a Knight Castigator for my birthday. I'm swimming in projects now.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 16, 2016

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

I would suggest getting some different colors in the shadows, like work some reds or purples/greens in there. Ever since reading Daemon World I've loved the idea of scabby grey daemons, so I'm already on board with that scheme. I'm having a hard time finding it, but this guy online had a great tutorial for painting really grody, nasty bruised skintones that he used on arco-flagellants and stuff. It was super fun and I have a feeling changing the fleshy tones to grey ones would result in some rad-looking models. Maybe on the Convertorum? Somewhere in that section of the blogosphere. If I can come across it again I'll edit the link into this post. I used the technique for the skin on my arco-flagellant, even though you can't see its arms very well in that shot.

ed: Found it. The technique looks super complicated and intimidating, but it's very painter-y and super fun to just zen out and play with mixing paints. If you have a wet palette set up I'd definitely suggest taking this down to a couple manageable steps and letting loose.

BirdieBedtime fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 16, 2016

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Thanks guys! I'll continue the experiments. Just got 8 of them for now so I can fiddle about.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Do people generally play the Sons of Horus merciless fighter rule as working against vehicles? I can't see why it wouldn't, but figured I should ask before buying two close combat Castellax with a Praevian :unsmigghh:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Sulecrist posted:

Do people generally play the Sons of Horus merciless fighter rule as working against vehicles? I can't see why it wouldn't, but figured I should ask before buying two close combat Castellax with a Praevian :unsmigghh:

It specifically mentions comparing numbers of infantry models, so it shouldn't work.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Couldn't resist doing an unboxing video for the legion dice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtz7jEwrL8

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

It specifically mentions comparing numbers of infantry models, so it shouldn't work.

The Praevian rule explicitly counts Castellax as three models each for Merciless Fighters purposes, assuming that you choose Sons of Horus Legiones Astartes. The Merciless Fighters rule referring to those who may attack does not reference infantry; infantry only matter for the count.

Edit: that also has nothing to do with my question, although I can't think of any decent antitank melee weapons other than Castellax' that strike before Initiative 1. :)

Sulecrist fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Jun 17, 2016

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Shouts out to krushgroove for getting me the special limited man and nerdwear from Warhammer Fest. Thanks dude!

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

krushgroove posted:

Couldn't resist doing an unboxing video for the legion dice...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNtz7jEwrL8

Nice. All you need is some annoying music in the background, and you are set for YT stardom.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
The Heresy train ain't got no brakes

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Your productivity is terrifying. How long did those take?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mango Polo posted:

Your productivity is terrifying. How long did those take?
About 3 days. I took a break from Warhammer Total War so I could be slightly more productive. last night was basically just cleanup, basing, and transfers though.

The Sisko
Jan 9, 2009

"Whenever there's injustice, wrongs to be righted, innocents to be defended, The Sisko will be there, delivering ass-whooppings."

SRM posted:

The Heresy train ain't got no brakes

TOOT! TOOT!

Just finished these bad boys today. All they need are some transfers and they'll be ready to spill the blood of Ultramarines!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

SRM posted:

About 3 days. I took a break from Warhammer Total War so I could be slightly more productive. last night was basically just cleanup, basing, and transfers though.

Haha gently caress off. These are outstanding.