Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

A good pun is like a good steak: A rare medium well done
Doubepost: And for all this settlement fuckery I've been having such a good time with, part of me DOES wish there was more weight to all of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

edit: ohhhh my god what have I done sorry

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How's your framerate holding up?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

That is crazy beautiful

AwkwardKnob
Dec 29, 2004

Rinkles posted:

How's your framerate holding up?

On console, there have been two times now where the game crashed from me trying to fast-travel into Starlight, but when I'm running around, everything is fine - probably because I installed mods that let me delete random bullshit and litter all over the ground, as well as a mod that thinned out the grass mesh by 1/3 across my game-world. I put my fast-travel destination mat just outside the main entrance instead of in the middle of everything, and it's mostly okay now.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I like messing around with settlement building every now and then but for real what the gently caress where they thinking having basically every settlement on really bumpy ground when none of the building pieces deal with that really well?

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Sheen Sheen posted:

"bunch of smaller places with like a quest each" is a far better descriptor for Fallout 3--in Fallout 4 it's more like "a bunch of places you have to build yourself for absolutely no benefit and with zero quests," and I definitely prefer the former. Combat and graphics are certainly tangible improvements--I didn't care for the companions in this game and found them to be a nuisance, and I usually just go without them. I think the plot of Fallout 4 is worse than 3--3's plot is lame and uninspired, whereas 4's is mind-bogglingly stupid. Who cares about joinable factions? They're mostly tied to the game's awful main story, and the benefits you get from them are pretty much useless, outside of learning the recipe for ballistic weave from the Railroad.

I'm not necessarily saying that Fallout 3 is better than Fallout 4 (don't really know where you got that from) but I strongly feel that if Bethesda had tried to make a pointless settlement system a major focus of 3's development from the beginning that it would have resulted in a worse game than the one we got, and that replacing two of the DLCs with settlement-building DLC would not necessarily have improved the game, especially if it was implemented as it was in 4.

F4 has lots of little areas like that, though; Covenant, Bunker Hill, Salem, etc. And joinable factions with robust questlines are pretty good when the alternative was...uhh, nothing.

And I more meant that Zeta is so bad that literally anything would be preferable to it, and Anchorage is basically the world's worst corridor shooter and it gives you items that are better than anything else in the game by an extremely wide margin, so it becomes a matter of 'eat poo poo for 3-4 hours or gimp yourself for the rest of the game.' Just terrible and even some Hearthfire-lite thing would've been a huge step-up.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

It's nice on Survival with the Immersive Fast Travel mod because a secure and established settlement, even a rinky dink one everybody hates like Coastal Cottage, is a huge savings in time

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

chaosapiant posted:

I don't think Beth could write a better story if all their staff focused on only writing and brainstorming plot hooks. What we got is impressive considering you have 4 factions that all relate to each other. There is some minor degree of choices/consequences and the companions are (at least the good ones) almost Bioware level. In other words: even if Beth didn't do the base building poo poo, this story wasn't going to get any better.

Counterpoint: New Vegas :v:

Seriously though, it's funny how similar some aspects of the two games are when you think about it-The main plot revolves around initially trying to find an object that's been stolen from the player before being forced to decide the fate of the region, features a "Good Guy" faction from previous games that's a lot more morally gray that's opposed to the faction dependent on pre-war technology and is obsessed with the future of humanity, and the player can ultimately decide to spite everyone by taking over the region for themselves.

The key difference as to why New Vegas succeeded where Fallout 4 kind of falls apart, I feel, is that Obsidian chose to focus on building a world and letting the player into it, while Bethesda created a world around the player for them to gently caress around with. So in New Vegas, you can do stuff like clear the NCR out of Helios One and have the Legion take over because the devs thought about how the world would change around the actions of the player-but in 4, they're only concerned about how the factions interact directly with the player, and a lot of the potential for reactivity and inter-factional interaction wasn't exploited because it didn't involve direct interaction with the player (If that makes sense).

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Counterpoint: New Vegas :v:

Seriously though, it's funny how similar some aspects of the two games are when you think about it-The main plot revolves around initially trying to find an object that's been stolen from the player before being forced to decide the fate of the region, features a "Good Guy" faction from previous games that's a lot more morally gray that's opposed to the faction dependent on pre-war technology and is obsessed with the future of humanity, and the player can ultimately decide to spite everyone by taking over the region for themselves.

The key difference as to why New Vegas succeeded where Fallout 4 kind of falls apart, I feel, is that Obsidian chose to focus on building a world and letting the player into it, while Bethesda created a world around the player for them to gently caress around with. So in New Vegas, you can do stuff like clear the NCR out of Helios One and have the Legion take over because the devs thought about how the world would change around the actions of the player-but in 4, they're only concerned about how the factions interact directly with the player, and a lot of the potential for reactivity and inter-factional interaction wasn't exploited because it didn't involve direct interaction with the player (If that makes sense).

How is New Vegas a counter point? I'm strictly referring to Beth's writers and what they've shown to be capable of. Obsidian is a different level altogether.

Suave Fedora
Jun 10, 2004

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I mean on one hand unmarked spoilers are bad, but on the other, its been 7 months.

My Bethesda games tend to linger.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Pwnstar posted:

I like messing around with settlement building every now and then but for real what the gently caress where they thinking having basically every settlement on really bumpy ground when none of the building pieces deal with that really well?

They were thinking "oh, they'll find the completely undocumented 'foundation blocks' they can just clip into the ground and then build sweet overhanging patios and poo poo."

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

I'm having problems running my game. Goes straight to a black screen and then crashes. Tried all the solutions on google and nothing works. Puzzling as i was able to play it fine before without any issues.

Any suggestions?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Pantsuit posted:

I'm having problems running my game. Goes straight to a black screen and then crashes. Tried all the solutions on google and nothing works. Puzzling as i was able to play it fine before without any issues.

Any suggestions?

any mods? did you recently try to uninstall/reinstall other mods? are you using f4se?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003

Nichael posted:

I liked Fallout 4, but it goes without saying that it's no where near as good as New Vegas. The real problem with the settlement system is that it's ultimately pointless. I think Bethesda had a choice here. They could've made a more robust settlement system that had actual ramifications, or write a more compelling central story, with better developed characters. They somehow chose to do neither, when just doing one of those things well would've made the game a lot better. That's why it's disappointing to learn that only one more DLC is focused on a story, and two are focused on the settlement system.

I would be fine with the settlement system returning in future games, but it has to have some kind of a point. I shouldn't be able to make a settlement that consists of one giant room full of beds, some turrets, and a few carrots, and have the settlers happy. And I should be rewarded in some tangible fashion for an amazing settlement that rivals Diamond City.

I'm sorry but there's just no way that it ever crossed anyone's mind at Bethesda to write a better or more compelling story. At this point I'm thoroughly convinced that they believe their poo poo is golden. They are either in a bubble and can't even fathom that their poo poo is nowhere near as well-written as Obsidian/Black Isle's poo poo, or they have made so much money that they don't give a poo poo and have no incentive to do better because consumers chow down the poo poo that they plop out because we are dumb whores.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AwkwardKnob posted:

Some of you seemed to enjoy the Egret Tours settlement I posted earlier, so I thought I'd share my main base at Starlight Drive-In. Operating under the Brotherhood of Steel, naturally.

Here's an aerial view of half of the place from my penthouse atop the old movie screen. The base is enclosed on all sides by a tall concrete wall and the back of the movie screen serves as a barricade. The northern side of the base has a public market, a restaurant/bar, and a greenhouse as well as a hotel area above. Western edge is left open for farming up against the rocky hill but guarded by heavy laser turrets in watch towers. To the east is the primary entrance, heavily guarded and funneling caravans and travelers through a check-in at the guard house. Typically I have enormous sentry bots posted there but there was a regular soldier on one side when I took this screenshot.

We follow my robotic Dogmeat through the entrance and check-in. Please submit all weaponry and contraband voluntarily. Synths and ghouls will be detained and relocated to my Nordhagen Beach work camp.

Humans and other allies of the BoS may proceed through to the public market. The Bullfinch Tap could probably use a better name, but I had fun punching out the shutters in the old movie theater lobby and using it as a bar for people to sit outside of. Further over is the Market where I sent all my legendary vendors. There is one of two greenhouses located here.

So if you go the other direction through check-in, or all the way around back, you go to the authorized personnel area which includes my power plant, armory, workshops, and "war room" as well as two dormitories, a second greenhouse, and the general's quarters/penthouse thing.

General's quarters up atop the movie screen. This is where all my Bobbleheads and magazines and safes full of bullshit like pre-war cash and all the holotapes I don't want in my inventory live. I also have a helipad with a personal vertibird on it.

Looking back the other direction from the ground:

Oh, and my cyborg Dogmeat one more time because he's a good boy:

hey, what kind of mods do you run

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Yeah, really want that Robo Dogmeat and also whatever dog armor is in that last screen.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

vandalism posted:

I'm sorry but there's just no way that it ever crossed anyone's mind at Bethesda to write a better or more compelling story. At this point I'm thoroughly convinced that they believe their poo poo is golden. They are either in a bubble and can't even fathom that their poo poo is nowhere near as well-written as Obsidian/Black Isle's poo poo, or they have made so much money that they don't give a poo poo and have no incentive to do better because consumers chow down the poo poo that they plop out because we are dumb whores.

But it's like I said, I don't think the lovely story would've been as glaring an issue if the settlement system actually worked like a game in itself. It's a very bare bones feature, that has the potential to be much cooler than it is.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Glazius posted:

They were thinking "oh, they'll find the completely undocumented 'foundation blocks' they can just clip into the ground and then build sweet overhanging patios and poo poo."

Yeah but even with those sometimes the foundations have gotta go like 5 from the ground in some places. I guess its cool if you want to create brutalist concrete monstrosities.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Pwnstar posted:

Yeah but even with those sometimes the foundations have gotta go like 5 from the ground in some places. I guess its cool if you want to create brutalist concrete monstrosities.

Under Wood > Floors, there's a floor with attached stairs. You can use this to perfectly match heights with those concrete slabs, and then stack a concrete slab directly on top of another concrete slab, giving you two max-height concrete blocks directly on top of each other. Also works with the wooden floor with the posts on it but less fulfilling.

Graveyardstick
Nov 18, 2007

Are you too depressed to finish biting through that piece of toast?
Whatever they add with the upcoming settlement content, they'd better include a robot mod with Nuka World that lets me have an animatronic nuka cola bottle as a companion like they suggest in the trailer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The worst missions are the ones that involve wearing something that the quest giver gives me. I have everything deep pocketed so I can't even loving walk withou dumping half my inventory to do the mission.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

NESguerilla posted:

The worst missions are the ones that involve wearing something that the quest giver gives me. I have everything deep pocketed so I can't even loving walk withou dumping half my inventory to do the mission.

The only one I can think of is the Silver Shroud. You don't even need to carry the Silver Submachine Gun prop, just the outfit and that weighs what, 7 lb?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

How is New Vegas a counter point? I'm strictly referring to Beth's writers and what they've shown to be capable of. Obsidian is a different level altogether.

He's saying New Vegas is made by Bethesda. :thejoke:

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I assumed this was unintentional behavior when I played the game at release, but it's still in there now that I've started playing months later, so: does Dogmeat just disarm mines with his agreeable personality, or what?

Also, maybe I'm only noticing this now that Survival makes it necessary to stimpack him, but I swear Dogmeat falls off roofs for no apparent reason way more than he used to. If he didn't have a couple of extremely adorable dog animations I'd have ditched him ages ago. (The thing he does when he located an item for you and is waiting for you to look at it is cute as gently caress, and Bethesda has always been awful at animations, so it's clear that they really put a lot of work into him.)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus
This game is a bit biased against cat owners in that the only pet you can have is a dog.

I mean yes the game does have "cat meat" but it's not the same....

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Zephyrine posted:

This game is a bit biased against cat owners in that the only pet you can have is a dog.

You knows about cat cages from the workshop dlc, right? (Course, not companions)

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Rinkles posted:

You knows about cat cages from the workshop dlc, right? (Course, not companions)

How about a mountain lion companion cat?

I could totally see myself sicking a mountain lion on raiders.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
So wait that patch wasn't mods for PS4?

anime tupac
Oct 25, 2010

stick your chest out, keep your head up, and handle it
I was going to joke about how a cat pet would just arrogantly ignore you and then wander off and do whatever, but Dogmeat does that half the time anyway, so I guess I have self-owned myself

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Firstborn posted:

So wait that patch wasn't mods for PS4?

Upcoming DLC compatibility and various bug fixes.

You know, the DLC will be fun to play with, but I just know that the upcoming Robbaz videos he's going to make will be even more hilarious.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
How do you put the comics on the stands in your settlement? On xbone they just fall off the stand/clip through it and fall to the floor instantly. Same with those robot models you get, I put 2 of them on a table, a few seconds later they clipped through it and disappeared under the floor. Cool.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

TjyvTompa posted:

How do you put the comics on the stands in your settlement? On xbone they just fall off the stand/clip through it and fall to the floor instantly. Same with those robot models you get, I put 2 of them on a table, a few seconds later they clipped through it and disappeared under the floor. Cool.

There is a special wooden magazine bookshelf rack and a special magazine spinning steel rack (I think under Decorations - Misc) that are actually containers to put magazines in and it autosorts them and displays them. The Bobblehead stand works identically but with Bobbleheads.

Props (like robot models) tend to not stick around where you place them, and as such modders have been making special racks for them. Not sure if they're on consoles yet.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

TjyvTompa posted:

Transfer the magazines instead of trying to hand place them. Same with the bobblehead stand.
Objects like the models should be dropped on the ground and the placed via the building mode.
Much easier and they will stay in place.

If you are decorating a settlement, never manipulate objects like you would drag around a body. This isn't Skyrim.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Well don't I feel stupid now. I tried to manually place the comics in the stands. Thanks for the help both of you!

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Hahaha, one of the Children of Atom rewards is a sledgehammer with four fusion cores glued to the tip so you irradiate what you smash.

That's almost as good as the Tesla armor that's just T-60 armor with Fusion Cells jammed in the shoulder pads.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Inzombiac posted:

If you are decorating a settlement, never manipulate objects like you would drag around a body. This isn't Skyrim.

Well maybe I want to flail a piece of junk around like Skyrim. What about that, huh?

Side note, I spent a fair bit setting up ENB poo poo and I realized something. Should I even bother making this game look stylized or something? I mean, I'm only getting up to 40FPS with it on but... I don't think it'd matter really. Compared to New Vegas- where I do have an ENB/cinematic mod menu with near-60FPS- trying to make Fallout 4 look better is pretty much the "polishing a turd" idea some of us see.

Then again, I could just save up for a 1070 or 970 and run Fallout 4 ENB'd out but... eh.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zephyrine posted:

How about a mountain lion companion cat?

I could totally see myself sicking a mountain lion on raiders.

Far cry primal.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Volkerball posted:

Far cry primal.

More like Red Dead Commonwealth

loving mountain lions :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

Zephyrine posted:

Have you not found the cat church? The game understands and represents cats perfectly.

• Locked thread