Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Oodles posted:

Where do I want to run missions while waiting for incursions to respawn?

Is it still ones that sell the Federation Navy SeBo's?

In highsec? sisters of eve is the best still i think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Oodles posted:

Where do I want to run missions while waiting for incursions to respawn?

Is it still ones that sell the Federation Navy SeBo's?

https://www.fuzzwork.co.uk/lpstore/ will give you up-to-date returns on LP for any in-game NPC corp. SOE is usually the best at ~1200-1400 isk/LP. The market for scanner probes is pretty consistent

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
So about third day into mining with 4 accounts in 0.7, having a lot of fun, losing a lot to those mining permit fuckheads. Decided to switch from Retrievers to more beefy Procurers and train up shields and rigging, hope it helps, losing a retriever a day eats into my income.

Also planetary interaction is awesome as poo poo.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

Well, you need to tank around 4k dps and have >40k EHP in your primary tanking layer to avoid getting nuked by fighters from a well-skilled carrier, so you're OK to just facetank its damage if you can field at least 5 RR sins.

lol

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

But about the mining post

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

bluegoon posted:

So about third day into mining with 4 accounts in 0.7, having a lot of fun, losing a lot to those mining permit fuckheads. Decided to switch from Retrievers to more beefy Procurers and train up shields and rigging, hope it helps, losing a retriever a day eats into my income.

Also planetary interaction is awesome as poo poo.

Have you considered mining elsewhere? Or not mining at all?
Or maybe just pay attention and don't let them kill you?

E: The post below this one actually makes sense. Keep doing what you're doing. In fact, have you considered blinging your mining ships?

Dalael fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 14, 2016

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Dalael posted:

don't listen to this poster, keep doing what you're doing

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dalael posted:

E: The post below this one actually makes sense. Keep doing what you're doing. In fact, have you considered blinging your mining ships?

Actually got pretty good cadence I do check area scan every 3 or so seconds when going at it, it was literally a case of getting coffee and coming back to see red.

I have to admit though my Retrievers had no shields, rigs or lows fitted except for survey II and strip miners, I think that might have been my problem, if you fit a PROCURER with shields and rigs should it at least last longer than 10 seconds against a suicide Catalyst?

Also what the gently caress is a mining permit. Some rear end in a top hat kept mailing me about it roleplaying some imaginary pirate corp.

EDIT: PROCURER

bluegoon fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 14, 2016

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Even just fitting a damage control unit is all it takes to make you immune to all but the most spiteful of suicide ganks. As a miner the game is slanted hilariously in your favor, but CODE still make a living preying on the majority of miners who refuse to press the I WIN button that was handed to them.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

bluegoon posted:

Actually got pretty good cadence I do check area scan every 3 or so seconds when going at it, it was literally a case of getting coffee and coming back to see red.

I have to admit though my Retrievers had no shields, rigs or lows fitted except for survey II and strip miners, I think that might have been my problem, if you fit a PROCURER with shields and rigs should it at least last longer than 10 seconds against a suicide Catalyst?

Also what the gently caress is a mining permit. Some rear end in a top hat kept mailing me about it roleplaying some imaginary pirate corp.

EDIT: PROCURER

http://www.minerbumping.com/?m=1

Moddington posted:

Even just fitting a damage control unit is all it takes to make you immune to all but the most spiteful of suicide ganks. As a miner the game is slanted hilariously in your favor, but CODE still make a living preying on the majority of miners who refuse to press the I WIN button that was handed to them.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Moddington posted:

Sounds good! But, I win button, I dont follow isn't damage control passive?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

It used to be active.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

bluegoon posted:

Sounds good! But, I win button, I dont follow isn't damage control passive?

It is, but last time I check it boosts your hull resists by 90% along with your shields and armor resists by.. I wanna say 10%? I could be wrong about the numbers but it does help you tank more damage.
Also, don't bother buying a permit. Just be on your guard and you'll be fine. A "mining permit"will not save you from the gankers.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Dalael posted:

It is, but last time I check it boosts your hull resists by 90% along with your shields and armor resists by.. I wanna say 10%? I could be wrong about the numbers but it does help you tank more damage.
Also, don't bother buying a permit. Just be on your guard and you'll be fine. A "mining permit"will not save you from the gankers.

I've got this odd feeling that leaving your combat drones out attracts suicide gankers, maybe it's bot-like.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

bluegoon posted:

I've got this odd feeling that leaving your combat drones out attracts suicide gankers, maybe it's bot-like.

A ganker will go in with a rookie ship scout (or maybe a venture or other innocuous ship), scan your ship to see what your fit is and then use the number of catalysts required on their gank character or or characters to pop you.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Carth Dookie posted:

A ganker will go in with a rookie ship scout (or maybe a venture or other innocuous ship), scan your ship to see what your fit is and then use the number of catalysts required on their gank character or or characters to pop you.

So what kind of a fit on a procurer would deter such a person?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

bluegoon posted:

So what kind of a fit on a procurer would deter such a person?

Regardless of what barge you use to mine, try and have the biggest tank possible. It won't stop them from killing you (If they truly want you dead, they'll kill you) but it will make it more expensive to do so and may deter a good number of them. Sometimes its just too much trouble to bring another character for a gank.

Remember that having the best possible isk/h ratio is worthless if you keep losing your ships. Better to be overtanked and mines more slowly, than have no tank and lose barges all the time. If you're an easy target, they'll remember you and won't leave you alone.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
this has been covered a few times prior, but with a decent T2 shield tank a procurer can get up near 100K EHP. mine aligned to a celestial, keep your drones on passive, set CODE. to negative standings, and dock up if you're going AFK

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
Remember to watch local, for spikes.

Another good thing is to keep orbiting a can or a rock.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Beanbox posted:

Remember to watch local, for spikes.

Another good thing is to keep orbiting a can or a rock.

I don't recommend orbiting a rock in the belt. If luck isn't on your side, you'll get stuck and won't be able to warp in time. Source: It happened to me

Speked
Dec 13, 2011

LTA Represent !!
It's hard to double presse buttan in Space and then press
orbit again.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Is orbiting a rock or a can really going to reduce tracking enough to make a material difference in the DPS from a Catalyst hugging your rear end (under 2km)

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
i like that the guy who got purged for being real creepy ended up in moa and is now mining in highsec

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

i like that the guy who got purged for being real creepy ended up in moa and is now mining in highsec

yeah I didn't want to say anything in the chill thread but its loving hilarious.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Jazzzzz posted:

Is orbiting a rock or a can really going to reduce tracking enough to make a material difference in the DPS from a Catalyst hugging your rear end (under 2km)

Won't doing that help with warping away because velocity needed?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Jazzzzz posted:

It's mostly the range factor. Most gankers are -10.0, which means faction police will kill them/jam them 3-4 seconds later than CONCORD would arrive if they had shot someone. This means that the longer it takes them to approach you, the less time they have to shoot you, and it's harder to provide an accurate warp-in onto someone that's moving.

If they use an MWD to close that gap really really fast then it's definitely going to be a tracking issue, so it's a win win to be orbiting something.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

bluegoon posted:

Won't doing that help with warping away because velocity needed?

No because your velocity vector needs to be going in the correct direction as well as > 75% of max speed.

Mining aligned with a Higgs anchor is the way to instawarp out of trouble.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I've been playing as a perpetual newbie since 2007 or so, playing for a few weeks, then reactivating a year later, etc. I primarily mine in high sec (0.7) because I love pain, but I've never had a problem with gankers even in my relatively untanked Mack. Are the people getting ganked all the time playing too close to Jita or something?

Yesterday, some guy in a battleship warped in to the belt I was in and just started bumping me. I eventually warped away after a few seconds. Was this some kind of really bad gank attempt?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
In my very limited experience: if you're in a mission hub, there will be gankers. If there's an ice belt, gankers. Both (Osmon)? There's ALWAYS a CODE. name or three in local, plus other people just in there trolling on the weekends. There's probably a reason 80% of the mining ships I see undock from the SOE station there are skiffs.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Woah! Boosters are going to be legal in June.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

jerkstore77 posted:

Yesterday, some guy in a battleship warped in to the belt I was in and just started bumping me. I eventually warped away after a few seconds. Was this some kind of really bad gank attempt?

Could be. Or it could be they were just bumping you out of mining range to stop you getting the ore and then insisting you pay to make them go away.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I started a new trial account to see what the newbie experience is these days and good god it's hard to try to forget everything you know. I had nearly 5 million isk within a few hours from doing the mining tutorial missions and grinding scordite with a venture. Meanwhile I see all these clueless newbies asking how to do stuff when it's right in front of them if they don't mind reading a bit and doing their own research. Ugh.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Ambaire posted:

I started a new trial account to see what the newbie experience is these days and good god it's hard to try to forget everything you know. I had nearly 5 million isk within a few hours from doing the mining tutorial missions and grinding scordite with a venture. Meanwhile I see all these clueless newbies asking how to do stuff when it's right in front of them if they don't mind reading a bit and doing their own research. Ugh.

I just started new accounts a couple of months ago and to be fair I don't remember anything that jumps up on screen and says HERE ARE YOUR CAREER AGENTS GO TALK TO THEM. It was more "here's how you navigate, here's how to target something, here's how you shoot it, don't get blown up and good luck"

Tactical Shitpost
Jun 13, 2016

Jazzzzz posted:

I just started new accounts a couple of months ago and to be fair I don't remember anything that jumps up on screen and says HERE ARE YOUR CAREER AGENTS GO TALK TO THEM. It was more "here's how you navigate, here's how to target something, here's how you shoot it, don't get blown up and good luck"

Yeah, that disappeared about a year ago, with the removal of the old tutorial and introduction of the opportunities system. I believe CCP mentioned something about opportunities driving better player retention. The career agents still exist, but some other player needs to point the newbie to them.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Mining got boring so I decided to try to engage in a little newbie pvp. Stole 2 million isk of kernite from a 4 day old who was jetcan mining, but he didn't want to attack me for some reason. Waited out that flag, then noticed someone else had a suspect flag so I hunted them down and they were a day old character orbiting an asteroid in a venture. Double scrammed, and opened up with the fury of 2 t1 hobs and 2 t1 light neutron blasters. I killed his ship then since suspect flag lets you kill pods, I podded him as well. Success!

e. only 1 scram, he could have warped away but didn't.
And the fearsome fit.

e2. weird, he was in the same newbie corp I was in and killing him dropped my rep to -3.83 :<

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jun 15, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Morris posted:

No because your velocity vector needs to be going in the correct direction as well as > 75% of max speed.

Mining aligned with a Higgs anchor is the way to instawarp out of trouble.

What is a Higgs anchor?

Legalized Combat Boosters
In an effort to curb organized crime and restrict the flow of revenue to illicit traders, CONCORD has made the decision to legalize all combat boosters used by capsuleers.

With these boosters having proved to be relatively safe, this opens up a whole new range of tactical options for combat pilots across the cluster.

*looks at the fields of corpse floating in space, "Safe, eh?" I guess its one way to see it.

Ambaire posted:

Sometimes its not because they don't read... its because there's just so much reading to do, they forget the stuff they read 10 minutes ago. That's pretty much how my newbie experience went back in the day. I got stuck once or twice because I didn't remember how to do something one of the tutorial had taught me.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 15, 2016

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Dalael posted:

What is a Higgs anchor?

It's a special ship rig used by carebears and wormholers that doubles your mass and makes you align much faster, at the cost of cutting your top speed by 75% and your max warp speed by 10% (and removing bubble immunity if you put one on a hull that has that bonus). Can only fit one per ship.

Bears use it because it makes you much harder to bump. WH guys use it for hole rolling.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

ullerrm posted:

It's a special ship rig used by carebears and wormholers that doubles your mass and makes you align much faster, at the cost of cutting your top speed by 75% and your max warp speed by 10% (and removing bubble immunity if you put one on a hull that has that bonus). Can only fit one per ship.

Bears use it because it makes you much harder to bump. WH guys use it for hole rolling.

I think it's heavy fit only though?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

bluegoon posted:

I think it's heavy fit only though?

Nope, it's available in S/M/L/Capital, and it only uses 25 calibration. However, you're only allowed to fit one Higgs Anchor per ship, no matter how many rig slots you have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

ullerrm posted:

Yep, nothing so mind-numbing as solo rolling a c5 hole in a Higgs rigged Raven.

• Locked thread