Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
I'm about halfway through the story I think, and I'm having a really good time with it. It's basically everything I thought the first game should be.

Story question though.
That Kruger girl that gets kidnapped, that's absolutely Faith's sister, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

GlenMR posted:

Story question though.
That Kruger girl that gets kidnapped, that's absolutely Faith's sister, right?
White bread CEO, "his" Asian kid, in a game where the protagonist is Asian. You take a guess.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Also whoever was crying that the reviews are mean and bad, I'm sorry but this game is still good but not great and it has basically the same strengths and issues as the previous game. Combat in particular is improved but still garbage in a different way, which makes it hilarious the devs thought it was a good idea to have mandatory combat in missions.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
The Chvrches song plays on the jukebox in the main safehouse where Noah is.

Is the campaign pretty short? I've played maybe 3 hours doing a couple side bits and am on around the 6th mission and it says I've done a third of the story. Thinking about it though, the first was only about 8 hours wasn't it?

Having to go to the website to edit your tag is a bit silly.

Nonetheless it's fun, mostly pretty to look at, soundtrack is great again. Hopefully the PC community will exist a while so there's continuing content.

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.
These side missions are awful, I would honestly prefer more combat stuff in the side missions and less in the main story, open world suits dynamic combat encounters more imo. I get that you're meant to learn your way around the various routes but having to listen to the same bullshit dialogue and gently caress up at the same tricky spots again and again is killing my enjoyment. I've been playing with runner vision off but had to turn it on just to get a basic idea of the routes for these awful delivery and diversion missions.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Soccus Nephropidae posted:

These side missions are awful, I would honestly prefer more combat stuff in the side missions and less in the main story, open world suits dynamic combat encounters more imo. I get that you're meant to learn your way around the various routes but having to listen to the same bullshit dialogue and gently caress up at the same tricky spots again and again is killing my enjoyment. I've been playing with runner vision off but had to turn it on just to get a basic idea of the routes for these awful delivery and diversion missions.

Yeah, I need runner vision on in some manner for the time trial side missions. The parameters for completion are too tight without.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I'm failing hard at a lot of the delivery or diversion missions, yeah. The diversion ones are particularly frustrating because if I want to quit the mission to fool around in the open world and figure out how to actually do it, I can't because a) I don't know the whole route until I'm almost done with the mission anyway, and b) aborting the mission just drops the mission while leaving the Krugersec and security alert.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?

Combat Pretzel posted:

White bread CEO, "his" Asian kid, in a game where the protagonist is Asian. You take a guess.

Turns out I only had to play a couple more missions to have it confirmed. Alex Navarro mentioned it was a poor twist, but I thought it couldn't have been THAT simple.

Finished the main story tonight. It's crazy short, and the ending is a whole lotta fuckin' nothing. There's no depth to any of the characters. It's hinted that there's more going on in lots of the character histories, but on-one really gets the development they need. It's a bit of a shame.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jesus Christ, the combat system in this game really loving blows. I just got past Fly Trap, the mission where you have to defeat all the K-Sec dudes to proceed. Combat has never been Mirror's Edge's strength, and they specifically don't let you use guns in this game and make it super intuitive to escape from enemies, so why in god's name do they insist on forcing melee sections on you? It's so loving dumb. The game rules when you're running, which is the entire appeal of the series, and at its weakest when you're fighting. That's the way the original was too.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Increase your FOV to 75°, it'll help with this fighting bullshit. The worst thing that happens is that when you try this parkour fighting bullshit, as they want you to do, the enemies moved and they're not where you expected them, ruining your moves. Say wallrun-flip attacks and such.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I have my FOV set to fuckin' 90 and have for the entire game. Still doesn't help the combat feel any less lovely :negative: Haha

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Yeah, I need runner vision on in some manner for the time trial side missions. The parameters for completion are too tight without.

I have mine set to classic and found that when you enter a long, open area and it's not clear where to go, you can push R3 and you'll get the red echo to give you a hint. It won't stay active, but it's good in a pinch if you get turned around.

One of the keys to success with these missions is repetition. I find it fun (and frustrating at the same time) to run a route and find new ways to shave seconds off the time. It's also a lot easier this time around to restart a run so it never feels like you're waiting too long for it to load again. In fact, I'm kind of amazed at how quickly the game loads in general.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

orcane posted:

this game is still good but not great and it has basically the same strengths and issues as the previous game.

Sold!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I would say worse story, open world good, overall mission/level design not quite as good.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Yeah, if you loved the first game, then you'll love this one. The running mechanics in MEC are all super refined and I imagine going back to ME1 at this point would feel really rough. New game also has like 20x more content, and that feeling when you enter a huge environmental puzzle and the background music kicks in is still amazing.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
As this is one of 2 games I have on Origin, my friends list is super sparse (zero) so if anyone wants a mediocre runner to challenge in dashes my name is the same as on here.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

How come all my billboards say Sam Bishop. Is he my...nemesis?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You see billboards that your friends have hacked in your game apparently

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?
Do the dead drop deliveries just respawn over and over? I've done about half a dozen and don't seem to be decreasing the number on the map. And if they do, are there any other side-missions like that? The internet seems to be unhelpful in answering this question for some reason, I just get a lot of youtube videos of people doing dead drop runs whenever I search about it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

^^^^^^^^ I don't think they despawn, mainly because they are considered timetrials that you can do over and over.

Performing a 6 or 7-string wallrun combo and landing with a backwards softroll makes you feel like a total boss. Also, keeping momentum out of a slide using roll.

edit; it's kind of amazing how fast you can clear a room of 8 guys by the end of the game. Everything flows so well that it's barely 40 seconds before the ground is littered with shattered faceplates.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 13, 2016

Soccus Nephropidae
Nov 1, 2010

When bread drinks milk,
it seems to get drunk.
This is gonna sound weird but the combat is like my favourite part of this game and I love kicking people in the side of the head, it's definitely more fun than the valuable delivery missions which feel like something from a PS2 era game. Repeating the collection animation and all the dialogue every time I fall off of a roof...just ugh. They should use the same 3 star system as the dashes so that I can actually practice the route without having to die or fail.

There's on the whole way too much talking in your ear in this game for my liking, I actually turned off subtitles because I couldn't see the lower part of my screen. I can't pay attention to this political 'intrigue' while I'm focused on running, please stop.

Although I did just spend a whole session collecting all 50 gridleaks in the under construction area with no guide and it was fun.

And yeah the automated delivery ones are just on shuffle I think, I retried one I couldn't do a while later and it had a new destination.

Soccus Nephropidae fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 13, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Soccus Nephropidae posted:

This is gonna sound weird but the combat is like my favourite part of this game and I love kicking people in the side of the head, it's definitely more fun than the delivery missions which feel like something from a PS2 era game.

Also just spent a whole session collecting all 50 gridleaks in the under construction area without a guide and it was pretty fun.

Also yeah the automated delivery ones are procedurally generated i think, I retried one I couldn't do a while later and it had a new destination.

It's not my favorite part, but I definitely agree that it's super satisfying. I honestly think a lot of people don't understand the mechanics of chaining attacks.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

I really think this game is way underrated. I don't get how it can be scoring 50-70 from reviewers and even less from users, when the core gameplay is so solid and fun if you enjoyed the original ME. They have successfully nailed the open world concept and the map is fairly large with a decent amount of stuff to do. Also it looks really great, on my PC anyway. Yeah fine the story isn't amazing, but neither was the original's so I don't get it...

Ms. Chanandler Bong fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 13, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

I really think this game is way underrated. I don't get how it can be scoring 50-70 from reviewers and even less from users, when the core gameplay is so solid and fun if you enjoyed the original ME. They have successfully nailed the open world concept and the map is fairly large with a decent amount of stuff to do. Also it looks really great, on my PC anyway. Yeah fine the story isn't amazing, but neither was the originals so I don't get it...

My feeling as well. Mostly I just got the feeling that the reviewers didn't really want to be playing it in the first place and therefore didn't try to learn the mechanics.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

ApathyGifted posted:

Do the dead drop deliveries just respawn over and over? I've done about half a dozen and don't seem to be decreasing the number on the map. And if they do, are there any other side-missions like that? The internet seems to be unhelpful in answering this question for some reason, I just get a lot of youtube videos of people doing dead drop runs whenever I search about it.

Yeah, they spawn infinitely because they're all point-to-point runs starting and ending with those boxes on the walls. You'll notice the boxes scattered about, but most never seem to be ones you interact with because the run hasn't been generated yet. If you really needed more novelty in your runs then it's available that way.

Edit: Does anyone know if some of the move combo trophies are location specific? I've been trying to do the one that's "shift, wallrun, jump, coil, skill roll, shift" and I just can't seem to get it to pop.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jun 13, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Shoren posted:

Edit: Does anyone know if some of the move combo trophies are location specific? I've been trying to do the one that's "shift, wallrun, jump, coil, skill roll, shift" and I just can't seem to get it to pop.

None of it's location specific, just very touchy about finesse.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I've found a couple of ones located on youtube where they'll show you the exact area of the map and run through the move.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My feeling as well. Mostly I just got the feeling that the reviewers didn't really want to be playing it in the first place and therefore didn't try to learn the mechanics.

Same here really, it can be frustrating but once you learn the mechanics I think it's quite good.

I do think that, for people who like video games, people can be really reluctant to adapt to a new 'feel' for combat like how fast you attack, how you move, how many hits you can get in or whatever.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

I really think this game is way underrated. I don't get how it can be scoring 50-70 from reviewers and even less from users, when the core gameplay is so solid and fun if you enjoyed the original ME. They have successfully nailed the open world concept and the map is fairly large with a decent amount of stuff to do. Also it looks really great, on my PC anyway. Yeah fine the story isn't amazing, but neither was the original's so I don't get it...

The game is not being panned, the only really negative review I've seen is Jim Stirling's, everything else is floating around a 7 or 8 (which honestly feels like what it deserves IMO) in spite of the fact that a lot of the user reviews are much more negative.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Even Stirling's review isn't really unfair, it just highlights this caveat of "if you enjoyed the original ME", which has always meant a game gets like 70-80% in video game scoring systems (depending on how competently it's made).

If you like just running, the game has a lot of content indeed, but even someone who generally likes the running part might expect more variety than endless time trials, and even though some people like the combat you can't say it's universally good.

Other issues reviewers mentioned are also fair. The story is terrible even for video game standards and more importantly, it's overall worse than in Mirror's Edge. The open world is lifeless and somewhat limiting and the collectibles are a "me too" feature and they don't really add anything except XP for the mandatory "character progression" system. Worse, many of them go against the whole flow of running idea because you constantly stop to pick something up or have to look where to get to where the next item is.

How much you value each of these points is relative of course, which is why numerical scores are of limited use, but even as a fan you should be able to see that some aspects of the game aren't great or will not be appreciated by a general gaming audience.

orcane fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 14, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

orcane posted:

Even Stirling's review isn't really unfair, it just highlights this caveat of "if you enjoyed the original ME", which has always meant a game gets like 70-80% in video game scoring systems (depending on how competently it's made).

If you like just running, the game has a lot of content indeed, but even someone who generally likes the running part might expect more variety than endless time trials, and even though some people like the combat you can't say it's universally good.

Other issues reviewers mentioned are also fair. The story is terrible even for video game standards and more importantly, it's overall worse than in Mirror's Edge. The open world is lifeless and somewhat limiting and the collectibles are a "me too" feature and they don't really add anything except XP for the mandatory "character progression" system. Worse, many of them stop you dead in your tracks, which goes against the whole flow of running idea.

How much you value each of these points is relative of course, which is why numerical scores are of limited use, but even as a fan you should be able to see that some aspects of the game aren't great or will not be appreciated by a general gaming audience.

That being said, people should play it because it's good and cool and fun.

And there's still not much like it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I've been talking about it a lot lately, kicking around my reaction vs. that of a couple of people I know who liked it more than I did.

ME as a series sort of revels in its relative inaccessibility. There are very few skills you can transfer to it from other games, for example, because most of what you can name that's even vaguely comparable, like Assassin's Creed, are third-person games. They also generally have parkour as a feature, rather than the entire point thereof.

(It's weird that, as far as I know, there's never been some kind of parkour equivalent to the Tony Hawk series, where you just dick around in a playground jumping off stuff and scoring points all day. I have to imagine there's an audience.)

That inaccessibility's a big part of why its reviews have been what they are, I think, because ME:C has such a different learning curve, especially for anyone who didn't sit down and master ME. If you like other platformers, it feels backwards; if you like other first-person games, it requires an entirely different approach. It feels like it's fighting you for every step you take. On top of that, it's just kind of a dick a lot of the time, like in the last level with the damaged glass panels that give you about a second's warning before breaking.

I don't think the story's that bad, though. I've seen a lot worse, and a lot less consistent.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I'm going to assume that, like the first one, this game isn't selling very well since there's been an awful lack of buzz and that's ignoring minor things like it having a grand total of 30 reviews on Amazon compared to Doom's 230+.

You were too good for this sinful Earth, Mirror's Edge.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The story dosn't seem that terrible. I mean so far it's by the numbers as hell, but it does well enough an excuse to run from the cops and break into megacorps.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Kind of keep wishing the goddamn cops stop spawning after the end of the game. Makes casual running a pain in the rear end.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Strategic Tea posted:

The story dosn't seem that terrible. I mean so far it's by the numbers as hell, but it does well enough an excuse to run from the cops and break into megacorps.

I agree, the overarching plot is pretty standard, and the big twist that Isabel Kruger is Faith's sister is so Shakespearian it hurts, but I thought the overall setting is really interesting and worth diving deeper down. It's a shame they didn't do more with the world they built (seriously go read their wiki); seems like they were intent on making the game play really, really well and then built the story around that.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Kind of keep wishing the goddamn cops stop spawning after the end of the game. Makes casual running a pain in the rear end.

I agree, and it's especially bad that you can't just run around them because once they notice you it goes into full on manhunt mode. Easiest way to get around it is just up jump off a building. You'll get a checkpoint right where you jumped, but no KSec anywhere in sight. The only remaining problem are the annoying security cameras when you're looking for hidden stuff, but I've been systematically destroying them with the disrupt ability and it seems like they stay broken permanently.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Shoren posted:

I agree, and it's especially bad that you can't just run around them because once they notice you it goes into full on manhunt mode. Easiest way to get around it is just up jump off a building. You'll get a checkpoint right where you jumped, but no KSec anywhere in sight. The only remaining problem are the annoying security cameras when you're looking for hidden stuff, but I've been systematically destroying them with the disrupt ability and it seems like they stay broken permanently.

I didn't know they stay destroyed permanently. That's pretty cool. In other news, the transit hub towers can die forever.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

I've been talking about it a lot lately, kicking around my reaction vs. that of a couple of people I know who liked it more than I did.

ME as a series sort of revels in its relative inaccessibility. There are very few skills you can transfer to it from other games, for example, because most of what you can name that's even vaguely comparable, like Assassin's Creed, are third-person games. They also generally have parkour as a feature, rather than the entire point thereof.

(It's weird that, as far as I know, there's never been some kind of parkour equivalent to the Tony Hawk series, where you just dick around in a playground jumping off stuff and scoring points all day. I have to imagine there's an audience.)

That inaccessibility's a big part of why its reviews have been what they are, I think, because ME:C has such a different learning curve, especially for anyone who didn't sit down and master ME. If you like other platformers, it feels backwards; if you like other first-person games, it requires an entirely different approach. It feels like it's fighting you for every step you take. On top of that, it's just kind of a dick a lot of the time, like in the last level with the damaged glass panels that give you about a second's warning before breaking.

I don't think the story's that bad, though. I've seen a lot worse, and a lot less consistent.

I think you're on to something here, I mean most of the stuff that's designed to help a new player is entirely cosmetic and can be turned off in a menu...whereas the actual controls and mechanics are almost entirely the same from ME1, just sped up and made flashier. I think the only major thing they changed control wise is the attack buttons being face buttons rather than bumpers and triggers. The other thing that I've always noticed with ME is that to play it well I have to hold the controller in a very different way than I would for an FPS, sort of that light grip that I was used to on a PS2/3 controller. I'm sure that turns at least a few people off. Add to all that the main character being a woman/racial minority who doesn't shootmans.

GUI posted:

I'm going to assume that, like the first one, this game isn't selling very well since there's been an awful lack of buzz and that's ignoring minor things like it having a grand total of 30 reviews on Amazon compared to Doom's 230+.

You were too good for this sinful Earth, Mirror's Edge.

Doesn't really seem like much was put into marketing it, and the open beta seemed to generate more negative buzz than positive (the playable demo effect) because it was such a small part of the game. I think the devs really assumed the critical community would be more on their side, since it was that same community that had done so much to hype it up over the last 10 years.

Also, and this is probably going to sound dumb, but there are some interesting subversive ideological elements buried in the mess of the story (insurgent socialist collectivism vs corporate suppression of thought, even some anticapitalist stuff about the fallacy of endless growth made it in there), stuff like that usually doesn't play well on an advertising level next to hoorah nationalism and spectacle. I was actually sort of surprised to hear stuff like that in a videogame at all, even just as voice acting, especially presented in a not-entirely negative frame of reference. That being said, I'd agree that even if the story isn't that good it also isn't that bad. It's boilerplate and somewhat naive, but the voice acting is all pretty fresh and convincing and nuanced, even if most of the characters aren't particularly deep. And the general presentation is quite fancy.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Add to all that the main character being a woman/racial minority who doesn't shootmans.

I do think that somebody must have, at some point, wanted to deliberately appeal to the social justice crowd. A relatively non-violent, proactive heroine, heavily influenced by her genius mother, who's also a woman of color, and whose primary ally in the latter two-thirds of the game is an autistic black woman? If Faith and Plastic made out at some point it'd hit the Tumblr triple word score.

Also, and this is probably going to sound dumb, but there are some interesting subversive ideological elements buried in the mess of the story (insurgent socialist collectivism vs corporate suppression of thought, even some anticapitalist stuff about the fallacy of endless growth made it in there), stuff like that usually doesn't play well on an advertising level next to hoorah nationalism and spectacle. I was actually sort of surprised to hear stuff like that in a videogame at all, even just as voice acting, especially presented in a not-entirely negative frame of reference. That being said, I'd agree that even if the story isn't that good it also isn't that bad. It's boilerplate and somewhat naive, but the voice acting is all pretty fresh and convincing and nuanced, even if most of the characters aren't particularly deep. And the general presentation is quite fancy.

It is truly loving weird to see EA publish a game about a distant-future corporate-run dystopia, I'll say that much, even if it did resort to the old dodge where the protagonist doesn't truly pick a side.

They did do some homework, though. There's a lot floating around in Rebecca's rants and some of the documents that's taken right from the recent wave of near-future climate apocalypse science fiction, and the Shard looks like it was designed to mimic some of the next-generation wind turbines that are currently in the concept stage.

As a side note, there's a comic from Image called Lazarus that's been running for a while, and ME:C feels very much like it's set in the same world. Lazarus is mostly involved with high-end skirmishes between the corporations, but if you were to arbitrarily decide Cat Kruger were to her corporate family what Forever Carlyle is to hers in Lazarus, it'd be a nearly one-to-one match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

They were definitely trying to be more inclusive than normal. I don't think that makes it ~social justice~ in the way it's normally meant these days (nasty zealots insulated from the world by the internet and/or money)

E: Also I liked the slow realisation that there are no trees in the city, there seem to be no living things but people and pigeons, there is no grass on the horizon, and you read some of the notes and realise whatever continent this is on is basically dead

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 14, 2016

• Locked thread