Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
You'd think their new game flopped really bad if Eugen has to pump out a couple paid DLC. Please Lord in Heaven make this endeavor successful enough that someone, somewhere, will give us new grog game lites. Amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Hob_Gadling posted:

You'd think their new game flopped really bad if Eugen has to pump out a couple paid DLC. Please Lord in Heaven make this endeavor successful enough that someone, somewhere, will give us new grog game lites. Amen.

I guess AoA was.... DoA. :grin:

YEEEEeeeeeaaaaaaaaahhhh!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Well, I mean, last I checked (maybe some months back) Red Dragon still had more players online on Steam than AoA had on release, or ever. Think it's safe to say it flopped pretty bad.

To their credit they still bothered to do something to unfuck it. Optimistically, this DLC may mean they're going back to Wargame, and are maybe considering a sequel. Pessimistically, it looks like a desperate cash grab.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 19, 2016

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
For all yall still playing, that 152mm -> 5 HE buff they gave to the missile throwing tanks like the M551 might make them pretty good at supporting roles, especially since the CEV shoots about as far as a SMAW now.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Insert name here posted:

Dragons are my loving jam

I remember the game that resulted in this gif :3:

Saw Wargame on sale, saw new DLC, saw Eugen desperately backpeddling from the game they wanted to make that failed to the game they didn't care about and don't understand but was successful.

Still not sure if I want to buy.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Dutch confirmed for Minuteman III.

Could this be the end of Eugen? Studios don't always survive a major flop.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Dutch seem to have some definitely interesting/amusing things, are paired in a coalition with possibly the least interesting possible pair.

Oh yay, leopards! They'll go great with those other leopards!

Hooray non-radar Hawks! They'll be a real interesting match with Germany just like those other non-radar Hawks Denmark gets!

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Who should they go with? Other than Czechoslovakia because everything goes with them.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Historically they would have fought alongside mostly Brits and West Germans but also possibly some Danes and later Americans in NORTHAG.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I kind of like the idea of them with Brits but I'd have to double check.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

xthetenth posted:

I kind of like the idea of them with Brits but I'd have to double check.

Well, they did share a lot of the same sectors in north Germany so that's one potential area. Just call it NORTHAG and be done with it.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

TsarZiedonis posted:

Historically they would have fought alongside mostly Brits and West Germans but also possibly some Danes and later Americans in NORTHAG.

I thrive off of stupid military acronyms

AlexanderCA
Jul 21, 2010

by Cyrano4747
Well guess im reinstalling wargame.

Why yes I'm a dumb Dutch milsperg, wjy do you ask?

Also, I've seen a scaling system mentioned here and 150m wide roads, what is that about?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Scale is big but still significantly smaller than real life basically. And the game hides this fact from you. Tanks are like 50-100 meters across, so the game is something like 1/10 or 1/20 scale.

You notice it sometimes when you drive a flame tank up to a town and it starts shooting at 1000 meters but if you eyeball it it's only like 10 body lengths away from the town edge.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 20, 2016

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
The discrepancy is nowhere near that big. If I remember right it's something like each real meter is shown as 2.5 meters in game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yeah I don't remember the exact numbers, but even if meters are scaled at 2.5 the vehicles aren't necessarily scaled accurately to that.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
To be fair to the game, if they didn't scale it like they do we'd either have to have a lot more units to fill a larger space (pain to micro) or maps would be very sparse in terms of unit coverage (not as interesting to play imo)

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Sunber posted:

To be fair to the game, if they didn't scale it like they do we'd either have to have a lot more units to fill a larger space (pain to micro) or maps would be very sparse in terms of unit coverage (not as interesting to play imo)

Would make it easier to get local superiority for an attack though.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
If we had accurate scaling then maybe infantry, missiles and ATGMs would be useful

That and if they made it less RNG. I hate it when my TOW operators sneeze or whatever and make their missiles veer off at 90 degree angles

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Infantry and ATGMs have played a vital role in every game I've played. Infantry especially, they're not just useful, they're an absolute necessity.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I never use inf and I win just the same

All my attempts at mechanized stuff fail because my guys are gimped in range.

When 1000 meters really is about 100m I cant even fire across fields.

Its like all my guys are using pistols

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
Gotta agree on the infantry point, atgms are soso but if there is any sort of wooded area or building area you want infantry in there

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Phi230 posted:

I never use inf and I win just the same

All my attempts at mechanized stuff fail because my guys are gimped in range.

When 1000 meters really is about 100m I cant even fire across fields.

Its like all my guys are using pistols

Relative ranges are intact though.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
If anything they're more in favor of infantry. In essence vehicles have reduced range but RPGs and rifles have more or less realistic range. (divide the game numbers by 2.5, and you get 200-300 real meters)

I really don't get how you could play without infantry if there's any built up areas as all. Recon, ATGM and SAM infantry are very useful too, if not a strict necessity.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 21, 2016

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
Sounds like Ural mod is dead? A shame.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

reagan posted:

Sounds like Ural mod is dead? A shame.

I certainly hope not.

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
Yeah it'll have to be rebuilt from scratch, which is kind of pointless since more DLC is likely on the way.

I wish the XML patcher was able to handle lists of lists and match object references, then it would go from being useful for 10% of the work to being useful for 90% of the work.

Maybe I'll revive it in some other fashion. I like the idea of rolling with 1986/1991 for Cats C/B and messing with deck rules though that's all manually done too. A 2p price system for infantry and transports could be worth trying too.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

RangerPL posted:

Yeah it'll have to be rebuilt from scratch, which is kind of pointless since more DLC is likely on the way.

I wish the XML patcher was able to handle lists of lists and match object references, then it would go from being useful for 10% of the work to being useful for 90% of the work.

Maybe I'll revive it in some other fashion. I like the idea of rolling with 1986/1991 for Cats C/B and messing with deck rules though that's all manually done too. A 2p price system for infantry and transports could be worth trying too.

Well gently caress. I'll do the grunt work for that if you get the ball rolling (especially if work stops being all startup style long hours), but yeah, I can see it being worth waiting for nation dlc first. And I really like the idea of a 2 point system for bottom stuff if it's going to be in.

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
http://www.eugensystems.com/wargame-red-dragon-nation-pack-2/

quote:

The success of this DLC will allow us to continue supporting the game. We already published a first patch a couple of days ago, and we’re developing more content that will be available as two new DLCs:

The first one will be massive 10v10 map, and as a token of our gratitude, it will be completely free
The second one will be the Nation Pack #2, adding one new nation to the game

quote:

Austria (Blue)
Bulgaria (Red)
Egypt (Red)
Finland (Red)
Greece (Blue)
India (Red)
Irak (Blue)
Iran (Red)
Israel (Blue)
Italy (Blue)
Romania (Red)
South Africa (Blue)
Spain (Blue)
Turkey (Blue)
Taiwan (Blue)
Vietnam (Red)
Yugoslavia (Red)

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Get ready to see some flame wars about the winner

I voted :finland: but I fully expect :tito: to win

Triple A fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 14, 2016

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax
I voted for Finland, but yeah I'd be fine with Yugoslavia. REDFOR needs to be padded out somehow. Could always include all of the smaller Warsaw Pact nations, but I imagine the voice acting is the most expensive part of these packs.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

reagan posted:

I voted for Finland, but yeah I'd be fine with Yugoslavia. REDFOR needs to be padded out somehow. Could always include all of the smaller Warsaw Pact nations, but I imagine the voice acting is the most expensive part of these packs.

Just give the VA some booze, the script and you can hear the master at work

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
India and South Africa would have super cool voice acting

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

TsarZiedonis posted:

India and South Africa would have super cool voice acting

South Africa would just get re-used English VA if they don't go all out on Afrikaans. That though, depends if they pick the NP or the ANC government.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I kinda want Iran for redfor F-14s with Hawk missiles.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Finland would have a pretty cool mix of Swedish and Russian jets, but their tanks and arty would all be trash unless they got their Leo 2A4s and hornets. It'd be weird to have those on red, though...

JeffersonClay
Jun 17, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Would they be able to add Taiwan and still sell this game in China?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Voted Israel just to piss off my MAGA friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I an really glad to see this game being still supported. I should start playing it again. Plus, if the Netherlands got this much support I can't imagine what a more popular nation would do for sales.

• Locked thread