Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Oh definitely not doing it. They just won't quit bugging us about it, so now it's more of a holding our ground type thing than anything else. Plus, I don't have a job really - I'm primarily a teacher and work retail auto parts on the side. No teaching job lined up for the fall, so it'd just be my wife's income and my retail gig for income... so yeah, that's not happening and is pretty much how we're approaching it with them.

That and the fact that it isn't even for sale yet, and probably will not ever actually enter the market before it's snatched up. I really had to share the insanity to get it out of my head for a bit. It's such a big cluster I figured AI would get some entertainment out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Hey if anyone in the Chicago area wants a free Zeiss transmission electron microscope, hit me up.

drat IT drat IT drat IT

I want it :(

If you can store it, I'd drive up to get it. I don't have PMs, so email me.

krausengineering at the gee mails

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 14, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

If it makes you feel any better it's exactly the same at all levels and branches of government. Everything takes way longer than it should and costs several times what it should.

I don't doubt that. I have a friend that works for a local water municipality and there's a mechanical engineer there that swears his GIS program requires 128GB of ram of run. It can also be ran on an ipad, but gently caress that noise! The district ordered him a 30k computer. Now my friend just trolls him with expensive poo poo that he swears he needs and orders through the district. 4 Tesla K40 GPU's? Done. Obviously, since they are GPU's they need an equal amount of 4k displays to go with it.. Done. Why have just 128GB of ram? You need an equally impressive pci-x ssd setup to go with it! Another computer setup with dual xeon cpu's and 8TB of Intel SSD's to the rescue! It's just a cosmic joke that I get to see every few months play out at this point.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

I don't doubt that. I have a friend that works for a local water municipality and there's a mechanical engineer there that swears his GIS program requires 128GB of ram of run. It can also be ran on an ipad, but gently caress that noise! The district ordered him a 30k computer. Now my friend just trolls him with expensive poo poo that he swears he needs and orders through the district. 4 Tesla K40 GPU's? Done. Obviously, since they are GPU's they need an equal amount of 4k displays to go with it.. Done. Why have just 128GB of ram? You need an equally impressive pci-x ssd setup to go with it! Another computer setup with dual xeon cpu's and 8TB of Intel SSD's to the rescue! It's just a cosmic joke that I get to see every few months play out at this point.

Where's the Inspector General when you need him...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CommieGIR posted:

drat IT drat IT drat IT

I want it :(

If you can store it, I'd drive up to get it. I don't have PMs, so email me.

krausengineering at the gee mails

Emailed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Thanks. Even if its a little older, having the microscope itself would go a long way towards setting one up for home use.

Some research on the photo you sent says its an ZEISS EM 902 TEM

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 14, 2016

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

CommieGIR posted:

I really, really hate the M-16/AR-15.

No really, its not a 'I hate guns thing' its a 'I hate firing those things'. I really liked firing the AK-47 and SKS.

Screw the AR. I hate having to go re-qual on them. I hate handling them. I hate the way they shoot.

This is 99% related to the circumstances under which you were shooting them. Army guys have the same feelings about HMMWVs. If you were introduced to an AR15 outside the military you would see them entirely differently.

Qual range is the most soul draining by-the-numbers type of shooting and particularly on paper targets. It's like the initial DMV driver's test of shooting. The poo poo experience is exacerbated by the fact that you almost always have to over-clean your weapon to inspection standard afterwards.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 14, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sandbagger SA posted:

This is 99% related to the circumstances under which you were shooting them. Army guys have the same feelings about HMMWVs. If you were introduced to an AR15 outside the military you would see them entirely differently.

No, I just hate the way they feel. Ironically, I love the HMMWV.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

CommieGIR posted:

No, I just hate the way they feel. Ironically, I love the HMMWV.

It's not ironic - you've just never had to PM them daily and sit in them for hours. You haven't had HMMWVs ruined for you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sandbagger SA posted:

It's not ironic - you've just never had to PM them daily and sit in them for hours. You haven't had HMMWVs ruined for you.

It was our flightline truck for a whole deployment. I loved that thing.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CommieGIR posted:

I really, really hate the M-16/AR-15.

No really, its not a 'I hate guns thing' its a 'I hate firing those things'. I really liked firing the AK-47 and SKS.

Screw the AR. I hate having to go re-qual on them. I hate handling them. I hate the way they shoot.
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they hate firing or handling an AR but prefer an AK or SKS.

However, if you like commie-bloc guns better than ARs, try a Vz.58 (or variant thereof) if you have an opportunity. I don't think you'll want to go back to an AK or SKS.

That is the one bloc semi-auto I like at least as much as an AR in terms of ergonomics and just plain shooting.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

slidebite posted:

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say they hate firing or handling an AR but prefer an AK or SKS.

However, if you like commie-bloc guns better than ARs, try a Vz.58 (or variant thereof) if you have an opportunity. I don't think you'll want to go back to an AK or SKS.

V58s are hideous but awesome rifles. They're also legal in Canada for those up north!

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

For some reason, I could only ever shoot well with my AR. The yugo underfolding AK couldn't hit poo poo and the FN FS2000 just wasn't as accurate. The front brass ejection was cool as poo poo on that though. My beef with the AR was the stupid *SPROING* in my right ear on every shot.

I had black rifle disease so bad back in the mid 2000's. It's just an expensive hobby and shooting paper targets gets really old. I would not mind having a lovely shotgun and doing sporting clays. That was the only time I had fun shooting where it wouldn't have been considered felony mischief if not for us being out in the country on private property. (Shooting watermelons, water jugs, car fenders...chandeliers.) Also, never fire a 9mm at a car fender, they have a tendency to come right back at you :stare:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Shooting clay/trap/skeet/whatever is fun as hell and everyone should try it if they haven't already.

I own several firearms and strictly shoot at paper (I can't shoot at anything that can bleed, even gophers, I'm just too soft now) and it can get a little tiresome but there is something to be said about just throwing the guns in car and being at the range in 5 minutes for some quick fun.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

slidebite posted:

Shooting clay/trap/skeet/whatever is fun as hell and everyone should try it if they haven't already.

I own several firearms and strictly shoot at paper (I can't shoot at anything that can bleed, even gophers, I'm just too soft now) and it can get a little tiresome but there is something to be said about just throwing the guns in car and being at the range in 5 minutes for some quick fun.

100% this. Guns are great fun, when handled/used properly. I enjoy the poo poo out of mine.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Siochain posted:

100% this. Guns are great fun, when handled/used properly. I enjoy the poo poo out of mine.
Shooting at steel is even more fun. Poppers and Texas stars and .....

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

It's a driveway job, but how much fun it is depends on access etc. I'm assuming this is the Multipla? I think it's entirely possible you'd be able to get a garage to do it for a low enough amount that it's not worth the hassle.

However, the usual rule can be applied, that for the cost of the garage labour, you can buy the right kit for the job, and then you have more toys.

It's the multipla. I don't really need any toys to do the job, ramps maybe, timing belt needs doing while I'm in there, garage rates for those two together are approaching a grand. I can literally buy a better multipla with both those jobs done recently for that amount. I think I'll see what's available, then either strip the current one for parts or have a go with no pressure. If I get it done satisfactorily we'll either have 2 multiplas or I'll sell one.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

ilkhan posted:

Shooting at steel is even more fun. Poppers and Texas stars and .....

Oh, absolutely. I've done some pseudo-long range poo poo with the FiL shooting plates, since at 500+ yards its the only real way to "know" you hit (okay, well, paper and binocs, but that's way less fun).
And yes, it took a LOT of ammo before I landed any shots at that range. Still fun :P

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Cakefool posted:

It's the multipla. I don't really need any toys to do the job, ramps maybe, timing belt needs doing while I'm in there, garage rates for those two together are approaching a grand. I can literally buy a better multipla with both those jobs done recently for that amount. I think I'll see what's available, then either strip the current one for parts or have a go with no pressure. If I get it done satisfactorily we'll either have 2 multiplas or I'll sell one.

Stop bring car-talk into the gun thread.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

Pull the engine, swap in a 20V turbo from a Fiat Coupe while you're at it.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

blk posted:

Newer Outback owners: how bad is the CVT? Do 4 any cyl owners here feel like you have enough power?

Have driven an n/a forester cvt around and don't mind it. Only time you notice the lack of power is at like 80-85 when drag becomes significant. Around town and below that the cvt is good at using what's available and is quicker dropping down than most autos I've driven.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

Pull the engine, swap in a 20V turbo from a Fiat Coupe while you're at it.

2.4jtd.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Still regret gun chat.

So replacing my alternator only partly solved my charging issues, it's still pulling down to like 12.3V at idle. I measured and I'm getting like 0.2 volt drops across both the alt/battery positive cable, and the engine ground, which is a single like 8 gauge wire attached to the body with a tiny bolt (yes, that's factory).

I'm thinking I might grab some like 4 gauge wire and fab up some replacements, but I don't have proper crimpers that go that big afaik. Any recommendations on terminals/tools, or wire brands to avoid?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Enourmo posted:

I'm thinking I might grab some like 4 gauge wire and fab up some replacements, but I don't have proper crimpers that go that big afaik. Any recommendations on terminals/tools, or wire brands to avoid?

Or you could just go to any parts store and buy some premade ground straps.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Subaru CVT's are loving godawful pieces of poo poo that need to be firebombed. I'd rather have an old Tri(Trau)matic than have a Subaru with a CVT blighting it - gently caress me a CVT is a piece of poo poo at the best of times but Subaru really went up and beyond in making a gearbox that is loathesome in a completely new and soul destroying way.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Somehow that did not occur to me. :downs:

I'll have to look at the positive wire, though, to see if it's separate or if it's crimped together with the harness/starter cables at the battery terminal. If it's crimped that complicates things.

E: cables not cakes, loving auto correct

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Subaru CVT's are loving godawful pieces of poo poo that need to be firebombed. I'd rather have an old Tri(Trau)matic than have a Subaru with a CVT blighting it - gently caress me a CVT is a piece of poo poo at the best of times but Subaru really went up and beyond in making a gearbox that is loathesome in a completely new and soul destroying way.

Have you driven a Nissan CVT? Much worse imo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mariooncrack posted:

Yes and personally the Subaru one is worse. Even the Mitsu Lancer CVT is better, which is like saying what's better, AIDS or rear end cancer?

I've never come across a CVT that I haven't hated with a passion but wow, the Subaru one is just woeful on a new level.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So did I read this wrong or was he absolutely not tied to any terrorist organization and was just a very angry closeted gay man who hated himself?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

There was something wrong with it. I've driven pretty much every CVT econobox out there and the Subaru was not anywhere near the worst. Not even close. I would probably have to give that distinction to the Mitsubishi rvr or outlander sport or whatever it's called there.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

So did I read this wrong or was he absolutely not tied to any terrorist organization and was just a very angry closeted gay man who hated himself?

He wasn't officially tied to any, and was claiming ones that are enemies of one another (i.e. he claimed both Hezbollah and ISIS allegiance), had been visiting the club for 3 years, and was known to be frequenting a gay dating app.

But what was religious in nature was his father is a particularly crazy guy (he thinks he is the president of Afghanistan) who likely drilled his views on homosexuality into his son, and his son was likely a closeted gay.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CommieGIR posted:

He wasn't officially tied to any, and was claiming ones that are enemies of one another (i.e. he claimed both Hezbollah and ISIS allegiance), had been visiting the club for 3 years, and was known to be frequenting a gay dating app.

But what was religious in nature was his father is a particularly crazy guy (he thinks he is the president of Afghanistan) who likely drilled his views on homosexuality into his son, and his son was likely a closeted gay.

"But if ISIS wasn't really involved how do I justify all the horrible things I said about Muslims on Facebook" - far too many people I ceased to be friends with .

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

mariooncrack posted:

I have no problems with my wife's Juke CVT. The CVT is paired well with the turbo motor, in that once you get past the rubber-band response, when the turbo kicks in and the CVT starts to do its thing, it pulls way stronger than it should.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

QuarkMartial posted:

Oh definitely not doing it. They just won't quit bugging us about it, so now it's more of a holding our ground type thing than anything else.

You are not obligated to discuss it with them either. Tell them you're not doing it and that you're not going to discuss it any longer.

My inlaws got so bad going on about politics trying to influence us that we had to shut them down because it was driving us insane. Any time they brought it up my wife stopped it immediately and eventually they gave up! Might work for you, but let your wife handle it since it's her parents.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Rhyno posted:

"But if ISIS wasn't really involved how do I justify all the horrible things I said about Muslims on Facebook" - far too many people I ceased to be friends with .

http://m.98rock.iheart.com/onair/deuce-56172/zakk-wylde-corey-taylor-pay-tribute-14812824/

Otoh, our local rock station was playing this all day instead of the standard version, along with lots of chill "don't embrace the hate, love will win" type messages and songs all day. Have tomorrow off and had planned to track down our local blood donation center. Apparently its so slammed they are asking for people to make appointments. Plus we have yet to have a single customer come in and say something lovely about the situation. I don't think I've been more proud of my community of hick rear end rednecks. :shobon:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

There was something wrong with it. I've driven pretty much every CVT econobox out there and the Subaru was not anywhere near the worst. Not even close. I would probably have to give that distinction to the Mitsubishi rvr or outlander sport or whatever it's called there.

No, there wasn't and I've had the displeasure of driving more than one. It's just that goddamn loving horrid

Rhyno posted:

Well that's their bigoted problem. And it's not like it's just an Islam problem, how many Christians / Hindus/ Atheists / Military / Politicans / Rednecks spew hate and bigotry while secretly having a Grindr profile? Self hating gays are in every part of the population, religious, atheist, military, green, rich / poor whatever. Society needs to stop with the gay hate for whatever reason they choose to justify their pathetic views.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

No, there wasn't and I've had the displeasure of driving more than one. It's just that goddamn loving horrid

Well that's their bigoted problem. And it's not like it's just an Islam problem, how many Christians / Hindus/ Atheists / Military / Politicans / Rednecks spew hate and bigotry while secretly having a Grindr profile? Self hating gays are in every part of the population, religious, atheist, military, green, rich / poor whatever. Society needs to stop with the gay hate for whatever reason they choose to justify their pathetic views.

I'm just enjoying that I get to rub their hate in their faces. Several of my customers have said horrible things and now it's all based on bullshittery.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As have I. You're certainly entitled to your opinion but I genuinely have absolutely no idea how you can say it's literally the worse CVT on the market compared to what else is available :shrug: to me.

It's certainly not as fun as manual box but it's certainly serviceable, does a good job and at this point I'd take one over a classical fixed ratio auto with no hesitation.

Different strokes I guess.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What is wrong with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

meatpimp posted:

I have no problems with my wife's Juke CVT. The CVT is paired well with the turbo motor, in that once you get past the rubber-band response, when the turbo kicks in and the CVT starts to do its thing, it pulls way stronger than it should.

That sounds nice. I had a '07 Altima that was fine but I always hated how it sounded and it feels kind of sluggish. I had a rental '16 Sentra with 100 miles on it earlier this year. It didn't have a lot of acceleration or pick up and didn't handle well.

• Locked thread