Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ArfJason posted:

its not necessarily that its just that i thought noone wanted those kinds of mechanics anymore and apparently people do

the mobility options that they've shown so far are inventive and cool for an open-world game too. you can free-climb cliff faces, basically have the Wind Waker Deku Leaf and can glide off mountains with it, and you can use your shield as a sled and ride it through the snow and stuff. I had low expectations coming in but this looks really wild

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

qnqnx posted:

Those pickup and tip messages are getting real annoying

they said that open happens once per item, but when they switch players they are starting a new game of the demo

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

mabels big day posted:

hopefully its just because they keep restarting the demo and it just comes up the first time you pick one up

yes

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

mabels big day posted:

hopefully its just because they keep restarting the demo and it just comes up the first time you pick one up

its only the first time you pick a new thing up. also a very quick tip you can instantly skip is a lot better than what zelda has done in the past lol

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

elf help book posted:

they said that open happens once per item, but when they switch players they are starting a new game of the demo

oh cool

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

its so much faster than the item pick up thing in skyward sword that opened the menu and got reset everytime you opened the game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember the 3 boxes of text that appeared every time you picked up a rupee in Twilght Princess

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

In Training posted:

I think the difference between the Ubisoft Open World and stuff like Dragon's Dogma and MGSV is that the latter started with making really really fun and tight gameplay, and then added a variety of side activities to say hey here's stuff to do if you want to play forever. Whereas the Assassin's Creeds of the world start from the latter and work backwards. Like in 99% of the games I play I would never touch side quests on the level of the MGSV side ops but I have so much fun just sneaking around anywhere that I've done them all and started a new file over with the intent to do it all again. So maybe Zelda is the same way, but I haven't seen the video myself

having never played any of those i completely forgot mgsv existed and how well received that was
guess theres still room for open world crafters

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

In Training posted:

I remember the 3 boxes of text that appeared every time you picked up a rupee in Twilght Princess

it was funny near the end of the game when id find like a 5 rupee gem for the first time after like an hour of playing

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

- you start moving around, exploring and killing stuff within seconds of starting a new file
- instant item tips
- dungeons u can just waltz into
- spider tank enemy that dealt 7 hearts of damage to link

they really took all the skyward sword complaints to heart im glad of it

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

theres 100 mini dungeons

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I really like that they just went ahead with the Wind Waker art direction all the way

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

JRPGs have crafting usually, right? I was trying to think of japanese open world games beyond dogema and mgsv (which are both extremely win) and I think the rest are jrpgs. Which are like some of the o.g.s of crafting.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

good crafting - monster hunter, witcher 3, dogma
bad crafting - skyward sword

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

i'm pretty excited on the 4x4 battle mode for pokemon, unlike normal team battles it really encourages you to go ham spamming moves that gently caress up everyone in the field

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This game sounds like Wind Waker on land with LBW dungeon design and I'm trying not to piss my drawers.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

the physics look cool too. I was really shocked when tree trunks actually persisted in the world and did stuff when Link chopped down trees instead of just fading away

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

donald trump mongoose

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

I really like that they just went ahead with the Wind Waker art direction all the way

its very pretty those fire effects look hand animated. if theyre particle effects thats impressive

Bobnumerotres posted:

- you start moving around, exploring and killing stuff within seconds of starting a new file

yeah after 30 secs of learning how to play you get out, thats nice
also shield sliding sounded cool but i havent seen it in action yet. this video is like 30 mins and i have to go soon.
if anything its interesting that they are trying things theyve nbever done before with something as flagship as zelda

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

donald trump mongoose

yeah lmao donald drumpf ahahaha lol

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

goferchan posted:

the physics look cool too. I was really shocked when tree trunks actually persisted in the world and did stuff when Link chopped down trees instead of just fading away

an explosion knocked down a bunch of trees earlier in the demo and they got a magic deku leaf out of it you can slap monsters with

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/742779101329555456

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobnumerotres posted:

good crafting - monster hunter, witcher 3, dogma
bad crafting - skyward sword

Monster hunter is another good example because on paper it's the worst kind of Loot Treadmill ever where the goal for most missions is to repeat them for random drops but the core gameplay is so varied and deep and fun that really even if you go in thinking "I need X y and Z to make this gear set" you're really thinking "oh hell yeah I get fight monster X y and z again!"

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

These skeletons really value sharing.

Soral
May 30, 2009

the new zelda looks good.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

its cool that theres a million weapons but the inventory space/durability kind of sucks

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

well that looks great, sun and moon is certainly a pokemon game, please nintendo talk about other games tomorrow. where is the next mario maker update

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

In Training posted:

Monster hunter is another good example because on paper it's the worst kind of Loot Treadmill ever where the goal for most missions is to repeat them for random drops but the core gameplay is so varied and deep and fun that really even if you go in thinking "I need X y and Z to make this gear set" you're really thinking "oh hell yeah I get fight monster X y and z again!"

Yeah. I think you are on to something. Monster Hunter is sort of amazing in that it works at all. Imagine Monster Hunter but with Elder Scrolls combat, lol

Also, coincidentally, games in this weird non-category are like some of my favorite of all time.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

before dark souls caught on i had a lot of trouble explaining what mh even is to people lol

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

well that looks great, sun and moon is certainly a pokemon game, please nintendo talk about other games tomorrow. where is the next mario maker update

3DS Mario Maker :pray:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Is Nintendo the only company thats remained conspicuously silent on the Orlando shootings and not offered their thoughts and prayers? Shameful

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

goferchan posted:

Is Nintendo the only company thats remained conspicuously silent on the Orlando shootings and not offered their thoughts and prayers? Shameful

no when they opened reggie said a thing

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

qnqnx posted:

3DS Mario Maker :pray:

They sneak announced a new 3DS Mario Party or something so apparently they are gonna be dropping info on some new stuff during the stream

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

goferchan posted:

theyre all wearing pins too

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

ArfJason posted:

we spent like 30 pages ripping ubisoft for doing open world crafting materials games why is it suddenly cool idgi whats different this time

e: not only ubisoft now that i remember

That's the bad aspect but everything else seems ok.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

goferchan posted:

No

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

goferchan posted:

lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwarzschild_radius#Formula

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dirac_equation#Covariant_form_and_relativistic_invariance

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

goferchan posted:

Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

• Locked thread