Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Can't imagine. Was only high 80s on Friday and I was dying once I got off the freeway. Roasting at the stop light in my jacket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
I like my hyperkewl vest, but it's a shame it does not do anything when you're inching along in traffic.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

Pope Mobile posted:

It's 100 degree days like this that make me want a mesh jacket. Perforated leather is great, but it's still too hot.

I was riding on 26 with a mesh jacket, and even at 55 MPH it was still hot as balls out. I don't think anything helps for 101 degree days when you're on the road. The wind cutting through me was just hot.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

SquadronROE posted:

I was riding on 26 with a mesh jacket, and even at 55 MPH it was still hot as balls out. I don't think anything helps for 101 degree days when you're on the road. The wind cutting through me was just hot.

That's how I feel. Perf leather or mesh; 100 degrees is 100 loving degrees.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Iirc you're supposed to wear perf leather above 93. Someone here probably has a link to the paper.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Technically I think I'm supposed to wear an armored stillsuit.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

As a specimen of an arctic species, 100 F makes me think the only acceptable form of transport is drinking cold white wine aboard an air conditioned train.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

And I'm not even that far south.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Ola posted:

As a specimen of an arctic species, 100 F makes me think the only acceptable form of transport is drinking cold white wine aboard an air conditioned train.

I would honestly consider giving up motorcycling if it somehow got the US the kind of rail system Europe has. Taking a train from the Bay Area to Sacramento and back costs nearly twice as much as taking your car. And it takes significantly longer. :sigh:

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I need to get a helmet/jacket/pants, is it strongly recommended to get bright colors over black? All the nice brands seem to have reflective stripes on them anyway, but I'm thinking of higher visibility at daytime.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
For jacket/pants, not especially. Your legs are wrapped around the bike so colour isn't going to help at all there; whether your torso is visible depends what you're riding, but you can always supplement any jacket with a hiviz waistcoat/tabard if you're concerned about visibility. My jacket and pants are white but I still rock one of these in orange.

If you want everybody to see you in the daytime from a mile away, get an orange helmet. The colour pops like crazy, and your head is the highest most visible bit of you.

Always remember that no matter what you wear, you'll be invisible to anyone who just isn't looking.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I have this helmet, the black and high viz yellow contrast gets noticed. I like visually eye catching helmets, I would never wear all black like I see a lot of riders do.

Fishvilla
Apr 11, 2011

THE SHAGMISTRESS

White or hi-viz are the best helmet color according to basically every motorcycle study on conspicuousness. BMJ Group, Iowa State University, and a couple other places are really the only ones to do major research on this (That I've found). I ended up purchasing an eye-bleeding hi-viz yellow helmet because it seemed the most attention grabbing.

Anecdotally, when constructions crews are working on the road, they're all wearing hi-viz orange, yellow, green, and reflective white. Personally, I don't think that's a bad example to follow.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Somewhat anecdotal, but white is kind of a suboptimal choice in Britain because it's so frequently overcast here; your head just kind of blends into the sky and disappears.

I'd note that lightmode style mods are extremely visible no matter what base colour your helmet is, but mine keeps breaking and I still haven't gotten around to buying a better multimeter so I can reverse engineer the driver and make one that isn't a bulky fragile piece of sweatshop built poo poo.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Is this wine red helmet too dark? I'm just not feeling the yellow or bright red. Maybe a better question is wine red, or white?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I mean, it's less visible than white, yeah, but it's still miles better than black.

It kinda sounds like you'll get buyer's remorse if you get something that's any less visible than it could be, so you should probably go for white.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
protip: best hi-vis gear is a wheelie. Put reflective tape on your front wheel for extra vis.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

MomJeans420 posted:

Is this wine red helmet too dark? I'm just not feeling the yellow or bright red. Maybe a better question is wine red, or white?

It's darker in person. The rf1200 has a graphic that is matte black and matte yellow or matte red. I think it's called Beacon.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Solid colors are also better than patterns or decals.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

builds character posted:

protip: best hi-vis gear is a wheelie. Put reflective tape on your front wheel for extra vis.

Already working on that, along with getting the loudest pipes possible.

I'll go check out the local store and see what options they have, but I may just end up with white.

*edit*
I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend as much on gear as I did on my bike, but I really, really hate hospitals.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm going to spend as much on gear as I did on my bike, but I really, really hate hospitals.

my boots cost more than my drz initially did.

Bright poo poo is awesome, but people still wont see you.

They'd actually have to look up from their phones.
that said, my next moto suit will be custom to look like an iphone.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does anyone know anything about Spidi? I tried on a suit at a shop last month but they only had a 44/54 on-hand, which was a size too large. He said it was $1300-ish after tax + discount and I remember seeing Wind Pro.

I see this on eBay right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Spidi-Supersport-Wind-Pro-1-Piece-Leather-Motorcycle-Track-Suit-Size-52-EU-42-US-/191892856202

What the gently caress is the difference in all of these Wind Pro suits? The Spidi website is useless.

My eight? year old and three crash Alpinestars 40/50 suit needs to be retired.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 15, 2016

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Most non-custom suits are single crash - spidi is a fine brand, and if they fit you, great!

dema
Aug 13, 2006

What makes a custom suit more likely to be used beyond a single crash? They're expensive enough to be worth repairing?

Got a pair of Cortech Latigo Air RR Boots in the mail today. Shockingly cheap feeling. Zero confidence inspiration. Sending them back tomorrow and forking out money for something else.

Maybe I'll stop by the Dainese store on the way home from work tomorrow.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Mostly the design - small, intricate patterns that make up most modern, stylish suits aren't cost effective to repair, unfortunately. They're also not particularly cost effective to repair, as much of building them is automated and if it's done by hand, repairing the patterns is tough - cost of replacement is more than simply making a new suit. Plus the thickness of leather tends to be less to make the suits lighter and the cut is a bit more generous to fit as many folks as possible.

Basically all the things that make the assembly line production process good move you towards disposable, lightweight suits. My Helimot stuff is heavy, but that's fine because it fits extremely well.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Eh, I ordered it.
I'm giving up on my Bell RS1 and shelling out for another Arai Vector 2, buying the $600 suit over the $1300 one will cover the helmet. The RS1 is too narrow and long for my head shape.

predictive
Jan 11, 2006

For awesome, press 1.

-Inu- posted:

It's certainly realistic. Jeans have reached a point where they all offer basically the same protection, so you can choose a pair based on looks rather than protection. Bonneville should be perfect. The knee armor is super thin so it's not noticeable but it's still CE1. Same with the optional hip armor. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXj5dr1JlOE

Thanks for the recommendation on these, but I'd have to warn anyone with a 36 waist away from them. I bought a size 36 and the hip armor, and they were huge in the waist (like easily 38s if not bigger). So I ordered a pair of 34s, but they were way too tight, so I ordered 35s (thinking hooray! half sizes), which are still way too tight, but also hilariously long.

So $23 in return shipping fees later I still don't have jeans that fit, which means someone ought to get some VC money and solve that problem. They did look pretty good, though, and the armor seems really comfortable (though obviously I didn't actually ride in them).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Good suit for babbys first track day? Price is, uh, really good.

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/rst-mens-tractech-evo-1-piece-leather-suit-2014-197801

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/rst-mens-pro-series-cpx-c-1-piece-leather-suit-2014-197792

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Go for it. Buy a Forcefield backprotector and make sure it fits inside the suit with you. Consider a chest protector, also.

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
I have the tractech suit. No injuries when I lowsided at 110km/h at a track day but I did have to sew up a few seams (outside layer of stitching only)

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Bought it, and these.

https://www.ridersdiscount.com/rst-mens-tractech-evo-ce-sport-boots-2014-197793

Not sure the size they had will fit, if they run a little big I should be good to go. I will start shopping back protectors soon too.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

MomJeans420 posted:

I need to get a helmet/jacket/pants, is it strongly recommended to get bright colors over black? All the nice brands seem to have reflective stripes on them anyway, but I'm thinking of higher visibility at daytime.

My jacket is black. Haven't died yet but they -are- hot as gently caress when you're sitting still in the summer.

Solution: Move faster, get something lighter (next jacket~), or drive a car.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 17, 2016

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Marxalot posted:

My jacket is black. Haven't died yet but they -are- hot as gently caress when you're sitting still in the summer.

Solution: Move faster, get something lighter (next jacket~), or drive a car.

fwiw, http://io9.gizmodo.com/5903956/the-physics-that-explain-why-you-should-wear-black-this-summer but black does have visibility issues.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

I got some Icon knee sliders (link) and the straps hurt my hamstrings something awful :/. I may have to resell and just pony up for a nice set of pants. Any suggestions for pants that are not going to tear to shreds, but are still breathable in CA heat?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What are you doing that requires knee pucks but not a 1pc?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

LMAO.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

BlackMK4 posted:

Falling without knee pads might suck.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

BlackMK4 posted:

It's a compromise between total squiddery and Voltron.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

BlackMK4 posted:

Track days in Australia at least let you use 2pcs as long as they zip around completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

BlackMK4 posted:

I don't need knee pucks per se. I was in a low side crash and shredded my riding pants. I figured it would be cheaper to get something like the pucks as opposed to another set of pants since the pucks are unlikely to shred. It appears that I am wrong.