Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I was pretty well hoping for matchlocks and stuff too after the first demo, so that makes me happy.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I really want this game to come out

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Policenaut posted:

New E3 trailer, another demo coming in August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdSzvrwp4fk

This looks pretty sweet.

"Life and Death form a circle"

They definitely understand the souls philosophy and aren't afraid to advertise it.

lets hang out posted:

I really want this game to come out

Same. The alpha was so much fun and I miss it. At least let me play that some more! But I guess we'd burn out on it and get bored pretty fast.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Demo starts on August 23rd.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
The hype cannot be contained. Based on their interviews post the first demo it sounded like they appreciated the feedback that the game was too hard but felt it very important to keep it difficult despite criticism. I'm pumped for demo number 2.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jul 19, 2016

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Ni-Oh yeah!

*crashes through wall*

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I wish this was sooner. I had a blast with the last demo.

So we're going to be teaming up with Hattori Hanzo? Wish it was the Kill Bill version, that dude was funny :)

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
They really should have gotten Sonny Chiba to voice Hattori Hanzo. Demo can't come soon enough. Had a blast with the first one.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Ginchiyo Tachibana gets my hell yeah

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nioh is at Gamescom 2016! Here's their press release and a new trailer, looks like we're going to mess up some spider cave this time around.

quote:

Following the overwhelming success of the Alpha Demo in April—as well as the community’s generous feedback—the Nioh Beta Demo will incorporate a number of gameplay changes made with fans in mind, which will be immediately noticeable upon their return to the village of Usuki. This first stage of the demo will offer new challenges and the opportunity to once again fight for the mysterious Mark of the Conqueror DLC. Warriors who conquered Usuki and procured the DLC during the Alpha Demo won’t be left wanting, however, as they will receive a set of weapons and more starting money. These champions will also have the opportunity to play through the new Nakatsu stage without having to clear Usuki again.

The new Nakatsu stage leads protagonist William along a treacherous mountain path to a deep cave, where he must prevail against human and supernatural enemies alike—including the seductive Hinoenma, a dangerous Yokai under the guise of a beautiful woman. Defeating the Nakatsu stage will award players with the Mark of the Strong DLC, which will be available when the game launches.

The experience gained from the trials of Usuki and Nakatsu should equip the most skilled players for an even more challenging undertaking: the Twilight mission. In this arduous mission, players can re-visit Usuki or Nakatsu, battle against stronger enemies and new fearsome creatures, and earn highly-valued items.

The Beta Demo will also feature a selection of new weapons, including the long-range hand cannon rifle and a fresh selection of Katanas (including dual-wielded Katanas), Spears, Axes and Hammers which will provide new options to suit any gameplay style. In addition, players will get a taste of Onmyo magic and Ninjutsu elements of combat, which add bonuses to William’s attack and can invoke special techniques to provide various effects.

Lastly, to better prepare players for the trials that await, a Training Dojo has been added to the demo. This tutorial stage has been implemented to teach newcomers how to fight with a katana, the most basic yet refined of weapon choices, and how to navigate through the game. The Training Dojo will be available from the beginning of the demo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjwZRxPUd1g

Orv
May 4, 2011
Meanwhile, in Souls-ish news, Lords of the Fallen studio is trying again with The Surge and it looks, not terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr6Ah1pHM_8

I'm still wary about some of the stuff in that video and Nioh will probably come out better but I won't begrudge people trying to get in on that action, since the mechanics are what really draw me to Souls. Nioh has pretty much already sold me, I just need to see some more of it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I want Surge to be good but Lords of the Fallen was so loving bad. Also it appears to be more standard robots and stuff rather than the biomechanical monstrosities I'd expect from, uh, FROM doing a sci-fi thing.
Watching the video again it still has my main complaint from LotF, in that everything seems so slow and it looks way harder than it should be to avoid attacks, like it was designed by people who though sword+board heavy armour was the best way to play Souls. Which I guess people do.

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 17, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Orv posted:

Meanwhile, in Souls-ish news, Lords of the Fallen studio is trying again with The Surge and it looks, not terrible?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr6Ah1pHM_8

I'm still wary about some of the stuff in that video and Nioh will probably come out better but I won't begrudge people trying to get in on that action, since the mechanics are what really draw me to Souls. Nioh has pretty much already sold me, I just need to see some more of it.

Hmmm, so many people were asking for sci-fi souls, so that's interesting.

It looks like Edge of Tomorrow Souls.

Sakurazuka posted:

I want Surge to be good but Lords of the Fallen was so loving bad. Also it appears to be more standard robots and stuff rather than the biomechanical monstrosities I'd expect from, uh, FROM doing a sci-fi thing.
Watching the video again it still has my main complaint from LotF, in that everything seems so slow and it looks way harder than it should be to avoid attacks, like it was designed by people who though sword+board heavy armour was the best way to play Souls. Which I guess people do.

Yeah, and Lords had great graphics and at least got the basic idea of souls right, but still fell apart really fast once you got a few bosses in. So we won't really be able to judge this from just trailers, we're gonna need to play it or see an in-depth review before I can get too excited about it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Lords had garbage gameplay. None of the other poo poo matters if the gameplay itself is poo poo. And yes, boss design was mostly terrible and tedious.

Fortunately, Nioh is gonna own, so...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Lords had garbage gameplay. None of the other poo poo matters if the gameplay itself is poo poo. And yes, boss design was mostly terrible and tedious.

Fortunately, Nioh is gonna own, so...

I know, my point is that everything appeared to be okay until we got to play it ourselves, so even if the sci-fi souls looks good the key thing is the gameplay being not garbage and we won't know that until we play it ourselves. That's what I was saying :v:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I guess I'm just saying that that "the basic idea" of souls is good gameplay.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

I guess I'm just saying that that "the basic idea" of souls is good gameplay.

Yes and I agree completely from the get-go, that's the whole point dude

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
My favorite part of Lords of the Fallen was how my dashing heavy attack was by far my fastest so I ended up sprinting and lunging all over the goddamn place. It wasn't the worst game ever but boy was the combat dire. Everything was so sluggish and there was no weight behind anything.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'm gonna 2kat all day tomorrow when SCEA shows how poo poo it is at updating it's store compared to their EU and JP counterparts.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Oh poo poo it's tomorrow hell yes

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

My favorite part of Lords of the Fallen was how my dashing heavy attack was by far my fastest so I ended up sprinting and lunging all over the goddamn place. It wasn't the worst game ever but boy was the combat dire. Everything was so sluggish and there was no weight behind anything.
Hah, that's what I did too. Only way to make slow weapons remotely useful. What a garbage game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

smuh posted:

Hah, that's what I did too. Only way to make slow weapons remotely useful. What a garbage game.

Even with the fastest weapons, you couldn't evade an attack and hit back against an enemy with a shield because of how fast they turned around.

Pretty hyped about the Nioh Demo tomorrow. Hopefully I'll make a few videos covering it, at least showcasing the changes from the last demo.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

All I know about Lords of the Fallen is that they give you a shaky cam on a dodge roll so I kept not being able to see when I'm trying to dodge, and I died to the first boss because all the hits have no weight to them so I thought I was perfectly dodging him while he whittled down my health.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

nioh, kof, and deus ex
Aug 23rd is :krad:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Snak posted:

Even with the fastest weapons, you couldn't evade an attack and hit back against an enemy with a shield because of how fast they turned around.

Pretty hyped about the Nioh Demo tomorrow. Hopefully I'll make a few videos covering it, at least showcasing the changes from the last demo.

Yeah, people hate on some enemies in dark souls being able to constantly turn to follow you, but that's nothing compared to lords of the fallen.

The game looked pretty good and tried some new things, to give them credit, but it really didn't come together. They tried to make weighty clunky fighting like dark souls, but they went way too far so it was just slow and cumbersome. And like Ocarina of Time, in several situations there's just not really anything the player can do except wait; you have no options. Just waiting until you finally get an opening to exploit isn't fun, its tedious. The solution is to use magic abilities and the like to just cheese your way past, but that's not really satisfying either.

Nioh however is like the opposite; where Lords gave you very little player agency, Nioh gives you a toooooon of options. Enemy not giving you an opening? Switch styles to low stance! Hit them fast and break their guard! Use a polearm and out-range them! Choices.

I'm excited to get to play some more :dance:

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Aug 22, 2016

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Literally going to buy this game day 1 as I loved the first demo. Can't wait for tomorrows demo. To me it didn't feel like Souls at all besides the stamina and difficulty.

Now to beat the second demo and see if i like the changes they made.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The only things that feel souls-like about Nioh are the bloodstains, shrines, and shortcut loops/general level design. Which isn't nothing. The combat itself doesn't have much in common with souls within the genre.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I dunno guys I think its way more souls-like than just about every other game ever made. Its different, sure, its a different group of people, but they're unmistakably in the same genre and the only other games in that genre are like Lords of the Fallen and then maybe stuff like Zelda or Castlevania if you really wanna stretch it, maybe King's Field but not really.

There's a couple different sides to Dark Souls, the layout of the levels and how you progress, and then the visceral stamina-based combat. Nioh does both of those very similar to Souls.

You've got health and stamina, you have deliberate actions that can't be cancelled on the fly, you have death that pushes you back and respawns enemies, and you have levels that spiral around while opening up shortcuts and leading to bosses. Its a Souls-like.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
I guess, it struck me more as Onimusha or maybe even Tenchu. I see why people compare it to Souls even though the combat didn't feel like that to me. It was very enjoyable and it will be even better once they smooth out the framerate.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I agree that it's a souls-like, but I hardly think that a stamina bar makes the otherwise-very-different combat one of the similarities.

Stance switching, ki pulses, countering, and grappling make the combat pretty far from what souls combat is like.

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Is this going to be up around midnight?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Psyching myself up to once again brute force some oni with nothing but high stance katana.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Modest Mao posted:

SCEA releases games sometime between 10am pst on tuesday and the heat death of the universe.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Modest Mao posted:

haha

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
sounds like you cant do this any more :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q0_D0nykqk

Orv
May 4, 2011
That was one of the neatest parts of their combat system, what the hell.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Wait which part can't you do? I'm not sure what I'm looking at there.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
The cowardly back dodge after every low hit.

You can still do it, it just doesn't refresh your Ki. Now you can do this exact strat in High Stance way faster.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

its up for basically everywhere not north america. 4.358 GB

mashing through your stamina doesn't leave you wheezing it just prevents you from attacking. if someone empties your stamina by hitting you (guarding or otherwise) you do still get stunned.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Aug 23, 2016