Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

1) You're contradicting yourself here "I'd be fine with a female link" "it's stupid to replace link with female link" How do those two interact?
2) I don't think many people were seriously expecting Link to be 'replaced' with a female option, but rather were expecting a male/female choice on game start like Animal Crossing or Pokemon.

1) What Robo said, I should have been clearer on that
2) With Animal Crossing or Pokemon, those male/female choices are different characters, not the SAME character that has been consistent for 30 years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i want gay black link. imagine exploring the massive world of breath of the wild as titus from unbreakable kimmy schmidt

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Spellman posted:

I think it's fine however it turns out genderwise, and there's the more important factor that is if the game is fun. I think the discussion is depressing overall because it's not based on the functional tactile things that make Zelda fun. We should be more focused on whether the new formula is going to make dungeons more or less fun; whether the idea of a Zelda game as expansive as this one with an open world concept is interesting, and other things that Breath of the Wild is bringing to the table.

I mean I saw Chico, the Scourge of Hyrule, throw a sword and then swing it around wildly with magnetic powers so I think that's settled.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007
The idea of these little mini dungeons combined with items that have more utility in exploring + experimenting is a fantastic idea and a good way to keep things fresh.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

as a long time nintendo fan and zelda lover i am sad today

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Dr Cheeto posted:

I'll make the kickstarter

I'm pretty sure there's already been a few kickstarters based on this premise already. There was that 2D one that stared a heroine that also super ripped-off/was inspired by Minish Cap assets that was funded but then ran out of money or never had enough money to cover production costs after all or something and production was put on hold indefinitely.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yknow what? If they were GOING to have a female link, it should unironically be Chico

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Spellman posted:

I think it's fine however it turns out genderwise, and there's the more important factor that is if the game is fun. I think the discussion is depressing overall because it's not based on the functional tactile things that make Zelda fun. We should be more focused on whether the new formula is going to make dungeons more or less fun; whether the idea of a Zelda game as expansive as this one with an open world concept is interesting, and other things that Breath of the Wind is bringing to the table.

Dozens of pages of what-if-he-were-a-girl or "it wouldn't be a problem if he was a girl" is pointless when he is the same blonde boy he's always been.

Completely agree

Im really looking forward to the open world format to be honest. This seems like a breath of fresh air for the franchise and brings a lot of new, interesting elements to the table. My wife didn't like the graphics when we watched the trailer, but I told her it's a stylistic choice like Wind Waker

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The last year of the Wii was full of localised JRPGs and other smaller releases and they stopped coming the moment the Wii U was out, more or less. (The 3DS is in that phase right now). DS fared a little better.

at least those 3DS games we're getting are really good. I think as of this moment I'm looking forward to SMTIV:A more than anything else (Zelda included)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Spinning Robo posted:

The idea of these little mini dungeons combined with items that have more utility in exploring + experimenting is a fantastic idea and a good way to keep things fresh.

They were pretty good in Link Between Worlds. I liked how some of them were clearly intended to be solved with one item, but you could solve them with other ones if you tried hard enough.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i want zelda in breath of the wild to be links best friend again. i want to see their relationship grow and i want to see an interesting dynamic. i love zelink but i want nintendo to do it right IF they choose to ship tease them. either that or they keep it all ambiguous so ppl can make their own shipping choices

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

smell this posted:

i want zelda in breath of the wild to be links best friend again. i want to see their relationship grow and i want to see an interesting dynamic. i love zelink but i want nintendo to do it right IF they choose to ship tease them. either that or they keep it all ambiguous so ppl can make their own shipping choices

Link lost his penis in the stasis chamber. It was very traumatic and I think he'd appreciate it if you didn't bring up that sort of thing.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SylvainMustach posted:

at least those 3DS games we're getting are really good. I think as of this moment I'm looking forward to SMTIV:A more than anything else (Zelda included)

Yeah, it's great if you like the games they're bringing over but less great if you don't.

The Wii's last year or so was like, Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Fatal Frame 2 and Rhythm Heaven Fever, I think, so it's not hard to see why people might just write off the system if they don't care for niche games.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Link is already engaged to Princess Ruto, please stop with this shipping.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

BillmasterCozb posted:

1) What Robo said, I should have been clearer on that
2) With Animal Crossing or Pokemon, those male/female choices are different characters, not the SAME character that has been consistent for 30 years

I have three refutations to point 2

A)

Yep, completely consistent there...no differences whatsoever in age, appearance, haircolor, handedness...nothing.

B) (related to A), Link is explicitly not the same character in each game. Almost every entry in the series features a different Link. As seen above in point A, things can change from incarnation to incarnation. Why can gender not be one of those things? Why is Link's male-ness off limits when so many other aspects of the character are not?

C) Pokemon, I'll give you, in that whichever gender option you don't choose becomes a named NPC...but in Animal Crossing (and I'll use New Leaf as my point of reference here) there is but ONE mayor of your town. That character can be male or female. There aren't two mayors of which you are choosing between.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr Cheeto posted:

Link is already engaged to Princess Ruto, please stop with this shipping.

princess ruto is either in one of the other timelines or dead at this point

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
if zelda were a girl i would kiss him on the mouth

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

BillmasterCozb posted:

princess ruto is either in one of the other timelines or dead at this point

The legend speaks of a weird fish girl forcing herself on the hero of time.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

It seems to me that being male is the only consistent aspect of his character :v:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

A)

Yep, completely consistent there...no differences whatsoever in age, appearance, haircolor, handedness...nothing.

B) (related to A), Link is explicitly not the same character in each game. Almost every entry in the series features a different Link. As seen above in point A, things can change from incarnation to incarnation. Why can gender not be one of those things? Why is Link's male-ness off limits when so many other aspects of the character are not?

ok well then tell me why one of them hasn't been female

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

elf help book posted:

The legend speaks of a weird fish girl forcing herself on the hero of time.

Trump's lawyer tells me you can't force yourself on someone you're betrothed to

Spellman
May 31, 2011

jivjov posted:

A)

C) Pokemon, I'll give you, in that whichever gender option you don't choose becomes a named NPC...but in Animal Crossing (and I'll use New Leaf as my point of reference here) there is but ONE mayor of your town. That character can be male or female. There aren't two mayors of which you are choosing between.

It's the same guy in 4 different art styles and he is actually blond in all of them.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Yeah, it's great if you like the games they're bringing over but less great if you don't.

The Wii's last year or so was like, Xenoblade, Last Story, Pandora's Tower, Fatal Frame 2 and Rhythm Heaven Fever, I think, so it's not hard to see why people might just write off the system if they don't care for niche games.

well we've got TMS so that means they've gotta give us at least one more JRPG for the WiiU……right?

I should concede to the fact that TMSFE is the last WiiU exclusive I have any interest in and dig into my back catalogue of Wii games I never played while I debate over going to the PS4 or NX.

Unless the NX is outright replacing the 3DS too, in which case I'll go to that by default as I've always preferred handheld systems anyway.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BillmasterCozb posted:

Same reason it took 20 years for right handedness.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
Only Yetis are allowed to hug in Hyrule.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Junpei Hyde posted:

Same reason it took 20 years for right handedness.

well thats just poor attention to detail

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

link is female

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the male version of link is tingle

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Only Yetis are allowed to hug in Hyrule.

Yeah, all the deviants have to go to Termina.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

SylvainMustach posted:

well we've got TMS so that means they've gotta give us at least one more JRPG for the WiiU……right?

Hey now, let me tell you about this neat upcoming game called Paper Mario

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Super No Vacancy posted:

linkle is female

Sam Faust posted:

Color Splash could be good. COULD be good. I don't know yet because I've only seen the reveal trailer

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BillmasterCozb posted:

EXACTLY!

Why hasn't there been a female Link (option or not) yet?

There's no good reason.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Super No Vacancy posted:

link is female

Super No Vacancy posted:

the male version of link is tingle

Confirmed

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

jivjov posted:

EXACTLY!

There's no good reason.

Pissing you off is a good enough reason.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

EXACTLY!

There's no good reason.

yeah its almost like it doesn't matter, so why bitch and bitch about it online?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

SylvainMustach posted:

I should concede to the fact that TMSFE is the last WiiU exclusive I have any interest in and dig into my back catalogue of Wii games I never played while I debate over going to the PS4 or NX.

Unless the NX is outright replacing the 3DS too, in which case I'll go to that by default as I've always preferred handheld systems anyway.

The implication is that the NX will supplant both the Wii U and 3DS, yeah.

Nintendo can't twilight the Wii U they same way they're doing with 3DS and prior consoles because there's no backlog of games for them to bring over - everything that might conceivably come over is already here or has been announced already and everyone who might make something new for Wii U is already working on NX or mobile.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Sam Faust posted:

For all I know it could be fun as hell but there's something about it that just doesn't look good.

The implication is that the NX will supplant both the Wii U and 3DS, yeah.

Nintendo can't twilight the Wii U they same way they're doing with 3DS and prior consoles because there's no backlog of games for them to bring over - everything that might conceivably come over is already here or has been announced already and everyone who might make something new for Wii U is already working on NX or mobile.

I guess I'll get an NX then.

I hope there's a XCX sequel on it.
It's a shame there's not something floating in the ether that they couldn't localize to just hold us over, even if it's weird.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BillmasterCozb posted:

yeah its almost like it doesn't matter, so why bitch and bitch about it online?

So either it does matter and Link's gender can never be changed because it's of dire importance.

Or it doesn't matter and Link's gender could change all the time because it's not integral to the plots of the games.

So which is it? It's it verboten to change Link's gender? Or does it not matter, so why not be more inclusive?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

jivjov posted:

So either it does matter and Link's gender can never be changed because it's of dire importance.

Or it doesn't matter and Link's gender could change all the time because it's not integral to the plots of the games.

So which is it? It's it verboten to change Link's gender? Or does it not matter, so why not be more inclusive?

it's a video game and you're an idiot for being this upset over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

BillmasterCozb posted:

Color Splash could be good. COULD be good. I don't know yet because I've only seen the reveal trailer

In the cold darkness of my shriveled heart, that small hope has not yet been completely extinguished.

• Locked thread