Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Anchor Wanker posted:

So what's the deal with wikieaks saying they're gonna release a boatload of Hillary emails?

Unclear. It seems to have come out at the same time as some rumors claiming that Russia has a bunch of Hillary e-mails thanks to hacking the State Department and has been trying to get Wikileaks to release them.

If true, then it's theoretically possible Russia is going all in on a Trump presidency given the recent DNC hacking news.

But so far as I'm aware, the only true statement is that Julian Assange has all but declared that he's going full Berniebro by claiming to have e-mails that will "prove" that Hillary would be indicted if not for the dastardly Obama administration.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Pakistan's main role right now is to hold onto terrorist ringleaders and keep them safe until we're ready to deal with them

Munkeymon posted:

Re: that poll that showed Trump at 50% among white men. Well, figure they were a few points low and then white women just about mirror them for 50% approval among whites in general. Now apply that to the 2012 election using http://www.realclearpolitics.com/widgets/2016/turnout_two_party_vote.html:

There's juuuust about a blue stripe there from sea to shining sea

Trump is at 37% with white women btw, so the 50% white vote is actually generous

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

weird that this is trump's first tossed-out anecdote that is actually true?

It's weird watching all the journalists on twitter freak out over this story like he made it up when it's been reported numerous times. He's a habitual liar, so I get why they don't take his word for it, but it's really not hard to verify. He says more than enough untrue and vile poo poo to beat him without journalists stirring up fake controversies.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fknlo posted:

Did he sound kind of drunk there to anyone else?

Trump always sounds drunk to me now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8I2mD1AQ8w

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

It's true but it makes literally no sense to bring up. Who does this gain points with?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Trump is fueled by the thrill of alienating whole blocs of voters. After realizing the Native American bloc is far too small for his appetite, he decided to once again try to alienate the military and veteran vote

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Teddybear posted:

It's true but it makes literally no sense to bring up. Who does this gain points with?

Nobody, but he's mentally ill and the primaries gave him the impression that Real Trump rambling on about whatever pops in his head is what America wants (true) as President (false).

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teddybear posted:

Yeah, this was brought up somehow in defense of taking Iraq's oil?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

:stare:

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/742726764938579970

https://storify.com/case_face/a-trump-rally-in-greensboro-anger-in-here-is-palpa

:stare:

Well then.

[ed: this is a repost, sorry, missed it on last page]

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 15, 2016

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

He's visibly losing it.

Geoff Peterson
Jan 1, 2012

by exmarx

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If true, then it's theoretically possible Russia is going all in on a Trump presidency given the recent DNC hacking news.

But so far as I'm aware, the only true statement is that Julian Assange has all but declared that he's going full Berniebro by claiming to have e-mails that will "prove" that Hillary would be indicted if not for the dastardly Obama administration.

A number of security researchers have noted a resurgence of formerly Pro-Putin/Pro-Russian twitter bots with Trump messages and hashtags-so there may well be some merit to that.

Also color me shocked that Assange has a problem with a woman in authority. Truly staggering.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/JYSexton/status/742834482101751808?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Literally pink from pink floyd.txt

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

If Assange has these emails, what's he waiting for?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What exactly is the story behind that anyway? Just snatching/deleting the op data?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

zoux posted:

If Assange has these emails, what's he waiting for?

Because he has nothing and is just a raving narcissist desperate for attention since the world at large has forgotten all about him.

I've been wondering, can Hillary and the Dems use this hacking thing to their advantage? Make a point in emphasizing that Putin is engaging in underhanded tactics to undermine our election in an effort to help Trump? Maybe frame it as Putin knows that with all this dirt on Trump he can blackmail and manipulate him.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 15, 2016

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Wait... what the gently caress is he even saying here?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Epic High Five posted:

Trump rally first hand in narrative format, thanks Al! for linking this originally:

https://storify.com/case_face/a-trump-rally-in-greensboro-anger-in-here-is-palpa

This is actually one of the most horror- and dread-inducing things I've ever read. I feel sick after reading this.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

This is pretty reminiscent of a time I had gone as a protester. Favorite moments include:
A young boy with a "deport all Muslims" shirt being paraded in front of a few Muslim protesters

A rubber Hillary head on a spike being paraded through the waiting crowds

An old man with an Iphone trying to show the protesters a video of some riot in the middle east,

A Hispanic man who told me that immigrants were cowards for leaving when "Columbia has a lower murder rate than the US" (It doesn't)

A rather insane man who, after running around for the entire evening waving a flag and shouting "TRRRRUUUUUUUMMMPP", felt so moved when I offered him some water that he sincerely hugged me twice, told me he loved me, and left shortly after.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because he has nothing and is just a raving narcissist desperate for attention since the world at large has forgotten all about him.

I've been wondering, can Hillary and the Dems use this hacking thing to their advantage? Make a point in emphasizing that Putin is engaging in underhanded tactics to undermine our election in an effort to help Trump? Maybe frame it as Putin knows that with all this dirt on Trump he can blackmail and manipulate him.

Yeah Julian Assange wanted the world to remember he exists. He is rather salty that wikileaks didn't get the Panama Papers.

I said before that I thought the DNC publicizing the leak was a clever way to turn it against Trump. It leads to people thinking "is Putin is helping Trump?"

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Is Assange still facing those rape charges in Sweden? I don't recall how all that shook out.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

citybeatnik posted:

What exactly is the story behind that anyway? Just snatching/deleting the op data?

They didn't delete so far as I am aware. They accessed (and presumably snatched) it though.

For what reason? That remains unclear. It could be anything from "grabbing to hold on to for (psychological) leverage in the event of a Trump presidency" to "literally hand it over to Trump to help him since he hasn't done any self-oppo-research."

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Necc0 posted:

Wait... what the gently caress is he even saying here?

The soldiers that carried cash into war zones stole it and brought it back to the US? :confused:

I mean, I've heard that some of those special ops dudes get to carry cash and bribe warlords to have it turn locals against locals, but this sounds like drunk grandpa mixing up his news stories again.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I would wager that Russia has gotten access to far more than the Trump op files, and that we've also got most of their poo poo too. That this was nothing too unusual within the realm of government cyber security. It's just never mentioned because who in the govt would ever want to admit that Russia/China/India/whatever keep hacking out poo poo? But someone at the DNC realized that in this instance if they come out and say that Russia sought out and acquired the Trump op files it, as said earlier, in the mind of the general public that Putin wants to manipulate Trump. It might also have the secondary effect of making people think that this hack must be some big and rare deal because otherwise why say anything. And if they think this is some big and rare deal they'll think that our security is a lot better than it actually is when in fact we get hacked all of the time.

Is this to tinfoily or does this sound plausible?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Teddybear posted:

Is Assange still facing those rape charges in Sweden? I don't recall how all that shook out.

And bail jumping charges in the UK.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Teddybear posted:

He sure is. He's been hiding in an Ecuadorian embassy for years now. And embassy is a too generous a word because it conjures up images of a big complex of buildings with a courtyard or something. It's more like a single floor in an office building. So yeah, his life loving sucks. He probably thinks that if he can only bring down that dastardly Hillary he'd be welcome back into the US as the people's hero.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Ripoff posted:

The soldiers that carried cash into war zones stole it and brought it back to the US? :confused:

I mean, I've heard that some of those special ops dudes get to carry cash and bribe warlords to have it turn locals against locals, but this sounds like drunk grandpa mixing up his news stories again.

There was that time the several pallets of cash vanished into thin air but the way he's phrasing it sounds like we actually were ransacking their oil and only a few soldiers took the profit (???)

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Teddybear posted:

He hasn't been charged, he's wanted for questioning, thing is, he has said multiple times that he's willing to be questioned in Sweden only if a guarantee against his extradition to the US was given and is willing to be questioned if the Swedish prosecutoer would simply come where he is and do so, both of those things were refused, which is fishy given that the prosecutor has travelled abroad before to question people in other cases, which pretty much means that they are more interested in extraditing him to the US than they are actually interested in pursuing the case against him.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ripoff posted:

that's small time, we shipped shrink wrapped pallets of cash to iraq and literal billions of it can't be accounted for. pretty much anyone who knew what was up had plans to steal some of it

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/world/investigation-into-missing-iraqi-cash-ended-in-lebanon-bunker.html

did soldiers steal some? probably. it was like $12 billion, lots of people could have stolen some

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
One of the notes is one of Dick Cheney's horcruxes too.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

He sure is. He's been hiding in an Ecuadorian embassy for years now. And embassy is a too generous a word because it conjures up images of a big complex of buildings with a courtyard or something. It's more like a single floor in an office building. So yeah, his life loving sucks. He probably thinks that if he can only bring down that dastardly Hillary he'd be welcome back into the US as the people's hero.

The charges' statute of limitations will finally kick in around August 2020, and if nothing else changes he'll be stuck in the embassy until then.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Mad Hamish posted:

This is actually one of the most horror- and dread-inducing things I've ever read. I feel sick after reading this.

Yeah, that's loving terrifying. I'm starting to come around on the prediction that the post-election is going to get bloody. Jesus.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

He hasn't been charged, he's wanted for questioning, thing is, he has said multiple times that he's willing to be questioned in Sweden only if a guarantee against his extradition to the US was given and is willing to be questioned if the Swedish prosecutoer would simply come where he is and do so, both of those things were refused, which is fishy given that the prosecutor has travelled abroad before to question people in other cases, which pretty much means that they are more interested in extraditing him to the US than they are actually interested in pursuing the case against him.

Please, which specific charges is he facing extradition to the US over? Which US Attorney brought the charges?

Unless are you saying Assange asked for immunity from all future extradition requests, no matter the crime or evidence?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

It's weird having spent so much time on here following the race and just sort of assuming there's this undercurrent of hateful rubes out there that only exist in my imagination. You read poo poo like this and for some reason it just makes it a lot more terrifying. I bet that's why a lot of networks show so many of his rallies because when you're on the ground and seeing all this you have to think it's the craziest poo poo ever, but when broadcast it comes off as just a little loony. There's serious hate going on there.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Combed Thunderclap posted:

The charges' statute of limitations will finally kick in around August 2020, and if nothing else changes he'll be stuck in the embassy until then.

And then Scotland Yard will promptly arrest him for skipping bail.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Ripoff posted:

Less far-fetched than you think.

Apparently, there've been over three-dozen convictions since 2005.

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/apr/12/nation/na-military-theft12

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/06/trump-us-troop-stole-millions-and-millions-in-iraq-224352

still, I can't see it doing him anything but hurt, unless he can push it hard as an eGOP/Bush/Obama admin failure, and even then. Totally gonna go over like a lead balloon.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
People compare the rise of Trump to Nazi germany, and that's wrong, and insulting to me personally.

Because he's much more like the rise of Fascist Romania.

His supporters aren't brownshirts, they're Iron Guard members, it's a loving death cult that views themselves as the great heroes for being totally willing to fight the filthy undesirables even if it means their own destruction.

His media people can't dare dream of reaching the heights of Nazi propaganda, they're just an army of Cioran-wannabes whining how bad the world is, how only death or the wise leadership of Trump can save us. Fascism isn't even the name of the game, like Cioran identified not as a Nazi but as a 'Hitlerist' they don't care what platform he's using, they're Trumpists,

The story'll end the same too. The Iron Guard overtook everything, people like even Cioran fled the movement because their cult of personality was torn apart by pure nationalism, hate, and zealotry, and eventually cemented themselves as the leaders of the movement.

We know exactly where this leads too, the Iron Guard were evil but they were very honest. They said they'll kill the Jews and undesirables and they did just that. Trump says he'll kick the Muslims out and put the other minorities in their place and I believe he'll do just that. They'll tear themselves apart like the Iron Guard did, but they'll do some absolute horrors while doing it.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Epic High Five posted:

Trump is at 37% with white women btw, so the 50% white vote is actually generous

Alaska and Kansas flip with those numbers :stare:

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Unclear. It seems to have come out at the same time as some rumors claiming that Russia has a bunch of Hillary e-mails thanks to hacking the State Department and has been trying to get Wikileaks to release them.

Julian Assange is an attention seeking idiot.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Munkeymon posted:

Alaska and Kansas flip with those numbers :stare:

Utah still doesn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Dexo posted:

Utah still doesn't?

Utah is theoretically in play because big Mo

• Locked thread