Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LostRook posted:

Well that last question should be easy at least to answer since the Marvel-verse has been building to him for a while now. Thanos Blue Josh Brolin

I heard about him a lot but I didn't know if that was supposed to be the big threat character or Apocalypse was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I heard about him a lot but I didn't know if that was supposed to be the big threat character or Apocalypse was.

Isn't Cyclops evil now and his eye lasers can travel through time or something? I mean they had to do something to make him vaguely interesting I guess, but yeah, comic books.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Apocalypse is more Earth-bound and X-men centered. Thanos' and Darkseid's goals and abilities have a similar scale in the sense that they are both world conquerors and "Anti-life equation" and "Loves/worships literal incarnation of death" mean trouble for everyone in the universe.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i heard darkseid and thanos carpool a bunch to keep costs down

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Darkseid is an evil god. Thanos is an evil person who wishes he was a god, but even when he gets god-like powers he invariably fucks things up.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

chumbler posted:

Isn't Cyclops evil now and his eye lasers can travel through time or something? I mean they had to do something to make him vaguely interesting I guess, but yeah, comic books.

I have no idea. I just know that poo poo changed while I wasn't in the loop. I mean, I didn't even watch every superhero tv show so I'm pretty lost on whatever happened to them ever since early 2000's.

LostRook posted:

Apocalypse is more Earth-bound and X-men centered. Thanos' and Darkseid's goals and abilities have a similar scale in the sense that they are both world conquerors and "Anti-life equation" and "Loves/worships literal incarnation of death" mean trouble for everyone in the universe.

I honestly always thought Galactus was supposed to be a way more dangerous threat than he is but apparently he's only like thirty feet tall or something most of the time? And I'm half sure the real problem people are trying to deal with is Skrulls. All I know about X-men is Sentinels and I'm betting that they've basically got ways to shut those down since they've been around for so long. Really, I'm only moderately in the loop on some characters because they get movies or TV shows like Deadpool, DareDevil, Agents of Shield and Flash.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
So apparently, on the obstacle course results page, the kid that has a word bubble coming out his clothes? He's described in the data book.The word bubble is actually his body. His name is Manga Fukidashi and has the Comic quirk. Weirdest quirk mutation in the series I think.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Can you guys go to BSS with the American comics talk and throw shade on each other there for having the wrong opinions instead?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh no a minor derail between chapters. Whatever will we do

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
comic books suck

because they're expensive and too complicated to get into dumbasses like me

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Charlie Bobson posted:

comic books suck

im pretty sure they would fit if you rolled them up first

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Charlie Bobson posted:

comic books suck

Doesn't marvel have some subscription service now that lets you read their whole back catalog online

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Charlie Bobson posted:

comic books suck

I'd just recommend Sandman and leave it at that, but having gotten interested in Deadpool by an aquintance, it was quite a bit of learning to go and try to find where to start and see on the selves compiled volumes of "Deadpool Classic" and "Deadpool". And oh boy, buying the wrong one will get you a lot of angry comments about how Daniel Way is a bad writer and you shouldn't buy his filth or something. I just wanted to learn more about the character.

I can def say that Deadpool classic is pretty fun though.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

Doesn't marvel have some subscription service now that lets you read their whole back catalog online

Yes but iirc its six months behind.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Serious Frolicking posted:

im pretty sure they would fit if you rolled them up first

:blush:

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still need more Tsuyu in this manga.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if anyone is really looking to get into english comics of any genre, you should probably just check out the comic recommendation thread in bss. though if the presence of a joke you do not like in a comic no one reads offends you, please post about it here because that poo poo is hilarious.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

I still need more Tsuyu in this manga.

Don't we all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

chumbler posted:

cyclops is dead and replaced by himself from the past. but yes he was evil and died as a terrorist or something

comic books

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

As someone who doesn't normally read cape comics, something that usually weirds me out about some of them when I randomly pick one up is the dissonance between the art and the writing. Like, we have these super realistic and detailed drawings under dialogues and jokes that seem to have been written for a cartoon.

The "unsolicited opinions about Israel??" is a good example, like, the joke is funny but it really looks like the dialogue balloons have been edited because it's the kind of thing I'd expect to see in Penny Arcade or something.

I recall something similar with a cool full page of Dr. Doom making an entrance and it had a joke about him speaking in capital letters and some guy being able to somehow see he spoke in all capitals or something like that...

These two examples are about jokes, but it has happened to me with just generic dialogue too.

Just my two cents.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I liked Deadpool and Cable a lot, which is pretty much the only thing I've read except Deadpool and Agent X, which I skimmed over.

I don't remember much of Deadpool but I liked Agent X too.

The art helped.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gyges posted:

Don't be silly, inhumans have nothing to do with aliens getting it on with humans. What happened was that an alien race came to Earth and did some loving around with hominid DNA via science, creating 3 branches of nascent humans: Humans, Deviants, and Eternals. The last two had super powers and the first seemed unchanged but had what would evolve into the X-Gene inserted into their DNA. The Eternals and Deviants largely hosed off from humanity, though they would cross paths and have fights and stuff.

Then, thousands of years later a second alien species came to Earth and did science experiments on the humans, creating an offshoot from them called the Inhumans. They had super powers and poo poo and lived on the moon. So our hominid ancestor was split into 4 separate sub-species: Humans, Inhumans, Eternals, and Deviants. Presumably Neanderthals and Denesovians are 2 additional sub-species that split off from the then common ancestor in a similar way to what was happening with Mutants and Humans prior to Fox buying the movie rights and Marvel retaliating.

The first aliens, the Celestials, hosed around with hominid life because they like to do poo poo like that. They are giant humanoids enveloped in body armor and have visited the Earth 3 more times after the first visit to check in on the experiment. One of the visits had them destroy the city of the Deviants because they thought they were loving up the experiment, which had the side effect of sinking Atlantis and subsequently creating yet another offshoot from humans.

The second aliens, the Kree, hosed around with hominid life because they found out the Celestials had done it first and were looking for some bioweapons/troops to use in their eternal war with yet another alien race, the Skrulls. The Kree gave up on the genetic fuckery for some reason but come back and gently caress with Earth from time to time because they're assholes though not necessarily as big of assholes as the Skrulls.

See, it's all very simple. Also, holy gently caress, how do I remember all this poo poo?

Anyone talks poo poo about frog-Thor or horse-Thor and they're dead.

Oh goodness :psyduck:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I remember when arguments about comic books boiled down to who could beat who in a fight (for the record, Lobo would beat everyone, the end).

Don't worry guys, we'll get our fix and then we can go back to arguing about Coby and Blackbeard tumors.

edit: wait, this isn't the One Piece thread. I'm so confused.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 15, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Coby was actually Blackbeard's tumor that became sentient and escaped and then before the final battle he will be re-assimilated like in the Batman TAS cartoon where Clayface made that girl from his body.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Radish posted:

On this topic "Fables" had a part where the main character endorsed Israel and its retributive collective punishment policy which felt really weird and out of place.

Fables was a long and tortured metaphor in support of Israel, so it shouldn't feel out of place.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

http://i.imgur.com/yKmYsZ1.jpg
there's a 100% chance someone here will well up at this weeks chap.

(Linking the image to prevent accidental viewing)

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Green Intern posted:

Fables was a long and tortured metaphor in support of Israel, so it shouldn't feel out of place.

What? Is this actually true?

I stopped reading when they caught fairy tale Hitler.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't read Fables myself, but it's no secret that the author is extremely right-wing, and it's reflected in his comic pretty blatantly from what I hear.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jun 16, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

I haven't read Fables myself, but it's no secret that the author is extremely right-wing, and it's reflected in his comic pretty blatantly from what I hear.

Weird I must have missed a lot which is why I guess the blatant Israel call out felt so weird, especially since it was right after a character pretty much won a huge battle through passive resistance. I'd be interested to read what it is he inserted.

Korean raws are out.
https://manaa.space/post/uploader/34733

Lots of talking. Also Endeavor is not very pleased.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
http://readms.com/r/my_hero_academia/095/3473/1

Mangastream is out. Really, really curious about where they are taking Bakugou's character.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The ending is the epitome of :unsmith:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I hope they end a season here. It's the perfect sort of bittersweet.

Like, if the series ended right here, with this chapter, I wouldn't be happy, but... it's the most 'arc-ending' chapter we've had.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Hopeford posted:

http://readms.com/r/my_hero_academia/095/3473/1

Mangastream is out. Really, really curious about where they are taking Bakugou's character.

:smith: Ow, my heart.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
TEXAS SMAAASH :yaycloud:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I know its too easy if it doesn't happen but I really don't want the police to start going all Cadmus to everyone's detriment bar the villains.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hahaha eat twenty-seven bags of dicks Endeavor :unsmigghh:

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?
Also this is entirely irrelevant to this chapter but it just occurred to me that I really, really irrationally want an All-Might lite who does Smashes named after Canadian provinces.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
So Endeavour is essentially what Bakugou turns into without intervention

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
I like that Iida still has his fake mustache on. I hope he forgets to take it off and shows up to class with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Midoriya's dad needs to either show up soon or be dead because he'll be fighting No Might for custody at this point.

Rhonne posted:

I like that Iida still has his fake mustache on. I hope he forgets to take it off and shows up to class with it.
also this.