Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

Yep, hero deployed. I moved the Banshee right next to the capital and the income adjusted to 105% at the start of the next turn for that region. Should it not be 115% for the region?

What it's probably doing is increasing the settlement by 15%, but the province by only 5%.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decus
Feb 24, 2013

Mazz posted:

Yeah I was going to keep the individuals running but in the long run there wasn't much of a point. All they do is give the AI more possibilities to recruit the units that are actually interesting to fight, and even then it relies on the AI actually building the right buildings in those provinces. The garrison advancements are pretty minor (like an extra unit or 2, or swapping 3 skeletons for 2 grave guard for the VC).

Also it would mean me having to manage the comments/bugs across 6 mods, and keep all of them concurrent with patch changes. :effort:

EDIT: Sweet double post

There's a table that helps the AI build buildings in pairs, specifically for recruitment. If you want to be sure any AI faction is recruiting certain types of units you can point most of their stuff to "please build this recruitment building" and then point that building to whatever else unlocks recruits from it. Haven't actually looked at your mod to see if you're using that table yet but it's worth checking out if you're not, provided one of your major goals is the AI recruiting more. On the money and public order end of things they don't really want for anything, in my opinion, except maybe on lower difficulties though I can't see anybody playing on an easier difficulty complaining too much in that case--it'd still be easier and such.

Somewhat related, but the cdir_unit_qualities table probably also needs some work since some units are valued way too low which results in them spamming them while others are valued way too high which results in the AI being too satisfied with just one or two. The table for telling them what ratio of each type of unit to recruit is mostly fine from a quick skim--aside from some of the 50% missile cavs I think I saw-- but the quality ratings being out of whack means that either too many or two few of certain units will make up the ratio given it goes off of total quality rating rather than strict number of units.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

What it's probably doing is increasing the settlement by 15%, but the province by only 5%.

Hmmm, to go from 4534 to 4800 does not seem worth 3 levels on a banshee that could be out murdering walls and spreading vampire love. Do'h.

Also; Normal has been making me sad as VC. The Empire has 14 settlements and they feel completely neutered. Karl Franz is sitting up near a dwarf town with a full stack doing nothing, and I have not seen a single empire army. I just murder garrisons and then zip back to vampire land.

Jakk
Sep 24, 2006
Overall, I like the game so far. I find one thing irritating about the game: getting units to run. Often, I find units will just get stuck on "walk" mode even when i tell them to attack and the enemy is a short distance away. I will press the button to stick them in run mode to get them to run, but if I give them an additional command, such as to change course or attack a different enemy, they will go back to walk mode. I do not see anything in the options to make them stay on run mode. Does anyone know how to get units to run by default?

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

http://warhammerarmiesproject.blogspot.com/

This has alot of fan made army lists, which were amusing to read through some of them and probably would give a starting point for some army mods

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Jack2142 posted:

http://warhammerarmiesproject.blogspot.com/

This has alot of fan made army lists, which were amusing to read through some of them and probably would give a starting point for some army mods

The stories in these books are hilariously metal. :eyepop:

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Jakk posted:

Overall, I like the game so far. I find one thing irritating about the game: getting units to run. Often, I find units will just get stuck on "walk" mode even when i tell them to attack and the enemy is a short distance away. I will press the button to stick them in run mode to get them to run, but if I give them an additional command, such as to change course or attack a different enemy, they will go back to walk mode. I do not see anything in the options to make them stay on run mode. Does anyone know how to get units to run by default?

You know you can double-right click, right?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
If anything annoys me, its wonky line of sight. Occasionally i'll have battles where i can't see the enemy unless they're right on top of me. One of them was an underway battle i took a lot of artillery for, it was a bit silly

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

dogstile posted:

If anything annoys me, its wonky line of sight. Occasionally i'll have battles where i can't see the enemy unless they're right on top of me. One of them was an underway battle i took a lot of artillery for, it was a bit silly

I ran into this once too and can confirm it is annoying and dumb

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Finally have a good game going as Empire. I have 3 full stacks with steam cannons and turbo-knights that start with a G. Working on a 4th. I confederated Sitrland after they took a bunch of stuff. I still need to take the North and Northeast. templehoff is down, working on the other 2 VC factions now. 2 armies doing the conquering while two sit at home and defend. Chaos sent a few things down but I dispatched them with ease. Still waiting on a super stack to come and gently caress my plans up. How should I deal with Averland? I'm don't have an option to confederate them and it's pissing me off because rebels keep spawning in their stupid providence. I'm tempted to just loving knock them over and hope it doesn't scare everyone else too much.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Frankly the mod that changes Greenskin gold to teef seems like an essential to me.

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 15, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

NuckmasterJ posted:

Hmmm, to go from 4534 to 4800 does not seem worth 3 levels on a banshee that could be out murdering walls and spreading vampire love. Do'h.

Well, the bonuses stack to become absurd, but that's more of a late game thing.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Can chaos do anything with razed cities or do you just have to wait for your vassals to settle them again?

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Deified Data posted:

Can chaos do anything with razed cities or do you just have to wait for your vassals to settle them again?

Pretty sure all you can do is wait for your vassals to settle them.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
You have to wait for the resettlement. The razed cities do at least produce chaos corruption.

Treat your vassals like live stock. Let them get fat on the land, then raze it all down again to train a new warband. Awaken a tribe or make a new vassal, repeat.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does the Savages skill also apply to characters like Legendary Lords?

What skills are the best for Grimgor?

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Decus posted:

There's a table that helps the AI build buildings in pairs, specifically for recruitment. If you want to be sure any AI faction is recruiting certain types of units you can point most of their stuff to "please build this recruitment building" and then point that building to whatever else unlocks recruits from it. Haven't actually looked at your mod to see if you're using that table yet but it's worth checking out if you're not, provided one of your major goals is the AI recruiting more. On the money and public order end of things they don't really want for anything, in my opinion, except maybe on lower difficulties though I can't see anybody playing on an easier difficulty complaining too much in that case--it'd still be easier and such.

I don't touch it because they already know what buildings they need to chain together, the tier 4 settlements don't impact the actual building chains, they are mirrored across the entire tree. All the mod does is let them build up to tier 4 in minors, instead of tier 3 like before. They should be able to figure out the rest with what already exists AFAIK.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 15, 2016

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Does the Savages skill also apply to characters like Legendary Lords?

What skills are the best for Grimgor?

I don't think Savages applies to LLs since the skill says 'melee infantry units'.

My Grimgor is basically yellow out to Waaagh! (his weapon strength one is higher than most and very good). I chose the armor over the melee defense but otherwise maxed his offensive stats. In red I took the Savages skill and the later red skill that provides bonuses to black orcs and big 'uns (I didn't take the earlier one with the bonus to boyz and goblins since he'll be leading my doomstack which has no place for those anyway). In blue I only took the first skill (which every lord should take imo). I was debating between going red line for the black orc bonus or blue line for lightning strike, but in the end I felt like I was wasting too many points on blue prerequisites just to get it.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know enough lore to care wether Kislev or Border Princes or Tilea are cool enough to be released as unique DLC but they certainly need to get unique units. Having a standardized swordsmen and crossbow unit in literally every non-zombie, non-arthurian human faction is silly.

Plus Kislev would be a really cool challenge what with Goblings and chaos all over the place.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I really hope a previous poster's idea of welves and beastmen taking forests comes to fruition. Because then they could add the forest goblins that live in the empire area. Right now i feel like Empire (and Brettonia) is kind of boring because there's really no nearby threats to fight after you take out the secessionist and orcs nearby. Unless you purposely start a war with nearby factions, depriving yourself of trade income.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bearvalry is just angrier demigryphs.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
In my co-op game as Greenskins I razed Kharaz-a-Karak instead of occupying it, then occupied it anyway. Someone convince me that was the proper Orky thing to do and not just incredibly inattentive. I've still severely outplayed them anyway despite a cheating 2v1 attack they tried where Grimgor somehow didn't reinforce. Can Orcs not reinforce when mustering, even in a town?

(Oh and of course the dorfs saved themselves at the last second by confederating with a faction four times their own size.)

McGavin posted:

Well, the bonuses stack to become absurd, but that's more of a late game thing.
To add: Character deployments don't seem to stack but passives do. I've been running around with three moneymancers for no reason.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 15, 2016

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Triskelli posted:

It's easy enough to find pdf scans of the Warhammer books if you wanted to use them for reference (I'd link a copy myself but I'm not 100% sure on :filez: rules). Just to foster discussion here's a rundown of their unit roster:

:words:

Thanks for this. Were there penalties to having opposed races like greenskins and dwarfs in the same army?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Shumagorath posted:

I've still severely outplayed them anyway despite a cheating 2v1 attack they tried where Grimgor somehow didn't reinforce. Can Orcs not reinforce when mustering, even in a town?

The blue ability tree for generals contains the lightning strike ability, which allows them to force a battle with no reinforcements for either side.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Lightning strike is way less good than I thought it was. It seems like there's a hard cap on the number of units on the map at the same time, so anything above that is effectively wasted because the reinforcements trickle in one unit at a time when the previous one routs or is killed off.

Once you have a full stack that can take out 2 full stacks, any more numbers the enemy has are just free kills.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
So my friend is letting me play his copy of this via the Steam family share thing while he's away on business, and I'm super stoked. Any tips for a new player?

Also, are there any must-have mods I should grab, and how is the battle length in this compared to Rome 2 or Attila? I'd like drawn out, more realistic fights if there are mods for that.

Yukitsu
Oct 11, 2012

Snow=Yuki
Fox=Kitsune
Snow Fox=Yukitsu, ne?

Verranicus posted:

So my friend is letting me play his copy of this via the Steam family share thing while he's away on business, and I'm super stoked. Any tips for a new player?

Also, are there any must-have mods I should grab, and how is the battle length in this compared to Rome 2 or Attila? I'd like drawn out, more realistic fights if there are mods for that.

Multiplayer is just about the craziest wild west I've seen in a total war game in a long while. Either learn to general snipe or protect your general with every faction against every faction, or just spam something OP and hope your opponent doesn't know what they're doing.

Right now, stick to playing as Empire or orcs in multiplayer until you get a hang of things, the missing roster elements of every other faction makes them difficult until you get a hang of things. People are starting to wise up to undead bullshit and so they're probably going to stop being a top spot faction.

Of course most people just play single player, but for me, the fun is the multiplayer. :p

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Verranicus posted:

how is the battle length in this compared to Rome 2 or Attila? I'd like drawn out, more realistic fights if there are mods for that.

Very similar to Rome 2 from what I remember. Maybe a little longer as you get units rallying and returning to the battle more often, like in Atilla. It feels about right to me, but if they're too fast for you, every TW game has a plethora of mods to slow combat down, take your pick. Really the best way to decide is to just fire up a custom battle and see for yourself.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'm convinced that alliances with the AI prior to the Chaos Invasion are a gigantic trap. Every single time I've cautiously allowed defensive alliances to cement my relationship with an important neighboring faction, it bites me in the rear end in a top hat. I had an Empire game going insanely well(Marienburg on turn 13, Ghal Maraz on turn 30, Middenland confederated to me when Bretonnia(my ally) declared war on them), and then got sucked into a loving forever war on my border because Bordeleaux(my other ally) randomly declared war on a previously-friendly-to-them Karak Hirn who I was also allied to. Because Bordeleaux had a full stack army sitting right next to one of my primary recruiting buildings in my backfield and nobody was close enough to reinforce, this forced me to choose between breaking alliance with Karak Hirn and having to raze them to the ground because dwarfs never forget diplomatic maluses, or breaking alliance with Bordeleaux and letting them blow up 40k gold and like 40 turns worth of recruiting building buildup.

So I guess I get to go murder some dwarfs.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

rockopete posted:

Thanks for this. Were there penalties to having opposed races like greenskins and dwarfs in the same army?

There's no mechanical penalties and any regiment of renown can work their way into a Dogs of War army, but there's plenty of restrictions on the other armies hiring certain mercenaries from this list. Bretonnians don't hire any mercenaries, while the rest break down on predictable lines. Dwarfs won't work for Elves or Orcs, Orcs ditto, etc. Interestingly most of the Tileans refuse to work for Skaven, while the Cursed Company refuses to work for any undead faction.

Also, just updated my earlier post with a few more Regiments I dug up or cut for time.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Mannfred, Fluffy, and a rotating cast of skeletons and garrison units have been holding Talabheim against a huge pile of Norscans and the occasional wayward Chaos stack for like a dozen turns now. :allears:

They'd probably be better off just sieging the place to the ground rather than trying to assault the walls.

A Chaos LL stack could probably crack it, but a half-strength random-poo poo stack couldn't quite kill Mannfred or Fluffy before they dropped below critical mass and fell apart. And Mannfred gets a zombie dragon in one more level. :drac:

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Jun 15, 2016

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Only get pacts beyond non-aggression with one faction is my advice. You'll still get dragged into wars, but few enough you can actually fight them.

Also, just kill those dwarves next to the Empire, they always start war with you, even if your relationship is in the 100s i've found.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Don't see how that works. If you have two defensive allies then the only thing they can force you to do is break one of them.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Always kill Zhufbar if you're VCs, they end up confederating with Dwarfs and you have to kill Dwarfs eventually.

I tried rushing down The Empire as fast as I could, and I got them before they had swallowed up that many provinces. I'll try doing both them and the Dwarfs next time, then I can leisurely stroll through the shattered lesser powers at my leisure.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Usually load times are 1-2 minutes for me, longer at the start of a session. That's fine, I can get a glass of water or something, my machine is old and I didn't expect much else.

I have been looking at this load screen for well over five minutes. It's almost finally done. Happened to me once before, no idea what causes it.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Triskelli posted:

There's no mechanical penalties and any regiment of renown can work their way into a Dogs of War army, but there's plenty of restrictions on the other armies hiring certain mercenaries from this list. Bretonnians don't hire any mercenaries, while the rest break down on predictable lines. Dwarfs won't work for Elves or Orcs, Orcs ditto, etc. Interestingly most of the Tileans refuse to work for Skaven, while the Cursed Company refuses to work for any undead faction.

Also, just updated my earlier post with a few more Regiments I dug up or cut for time.

Are you sure you did? I'm not seeing an edit. :v:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Korgan posted:

Are you sure you did? I'm not seeing an edit. :v:

Check again. I am a terrible terrible judge of time :suicide:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

rockopete posted:

I played a couple of GW ran tournaments for doubles games where you both field a relatively small army, and they played with those types of rules there and I think eventually included them as an option extra.

Basically you could take any army combination to the doubles tournament, but each race was either something like friendly, neutral, or hostile with every other army in a chart, and it had the following effects:

Friendly + Friendly meant you basically just play as if you're one big army. All your special rules effect each other, units fleeing through each other cause leadership tests, you share the same pool of magic dice (so say there are 7 dice, you could use 6 and me 1 or we could split them more evenly etc).

Neutral + Neutral meant that your army rules didn't effect your opponent (e.g. "all regiments withing 12" get Hatred" doesn't apply to your ally's trooops) and you MUST split the magic pool evenly, with a free choice over the remainder (so if there are 5 dice in the pool I get two even if I have no wizard, basically handicapping your magic). Fleeing units could still make you panic though.

Hostile + Hostile combinations had the above, but also if your units were close to each other they took a leadership penalty (as they don't trust the dudes standing next to them). However, because you didn't give a gently caress about your ally their units fleeing had 0 effect on you.

The mercenaries that were mentioned I feel would be exempt from all this, as basically you know from the start they are just working for the cash, and they are effectively part of your army.

It would be interesting if there was some sort of penalty for allying with bizarre factions though, to encourage more logical alliances (sure Thorgrim is leading his Dwarfs to fight alongside his best ally, Grimgore).

extraordinary
Jun 9, 2011

Triskelli posted:

Check again. I am a terrible terrible judge of time :suicide:

http://www.solegends.com/citrr/

Lists lore and shows models of those outdated ones if anyone is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

WarpedLichen posted:

Lightning strike is way less good than I thought it was. It seems like there's a hard cap on the number of units on the map at the same time, so anything above that is effectively wasted because the reinforcements trickle in one unit at a time when the previous one routs or is killed off.

Once you have a full stack that can take out 2 full stacks, any more numbers the enemy has are just free kills.

honestly lightning strike is good simply becuase it doesn't put my reinforcing armies on the opposite side of the battle map

• Locked thread