Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LastCaress posted:

That led me to this:

http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,152705/

such nice things to say about a man that killed himself!

That's a remarkably blunt retrospective.

Though after reading it, I can understand why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Got a random message on reddit

http://archive.is/rO8H0

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/n6OBr

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
That is definitely something you look for 4 years into building the biggest drat space scam ever.

Also Star Marine was supposed to be in the game, etc etc

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Current/Next-Gen Consoles.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Current/Next-Gen Consoles.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Uh ohhhhhhhhh

mag
Feb 9, 2007

fuck this

i'm out
Hi from 33205 posts ago. How many people at CIG are still alive?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

mag posted:

Hi from 33205 posts ago. How many people at CIG are still alive?

All of them, but for how long remains to be determined.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Or I could apply for a very similar job for a mystery game developer in Germany that is releasing a "AAA Game" but for some reason doesn't want to announce who they are.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/jobs/opm/uk-and-europe/senior--team-systems-designer-andndash--germany-salary-neg-andndash--pc-aaa-game-id84009

Or maybe work for Treyarch, who have similar positions open with very similar job requirements. Almost copy-pasted, even. http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/16646726

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Jun 15, 2016

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Why do they need to specify "3D titles"? Is it the late 90s?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ComfyPants posted:

Or I could apply for a very similar job for a mystery game developer in Germany that is releasing a "AAA Game" but for some reason doesn't want to announce who they are.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/jobs/opm/uk-and-europe/senior--team-systems-designer-andndash--germany-salary-neg-andndash--pc-aaa-game-id84009

Or maybe work for Treyarch, who have similar positions open with very similar job requirements. Almost copy-pasted, even. http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...n&ct=clnk&gl=us https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/16646726

My client has fast become a developer everyone’s talking about. They have highly ambitious plans to make the most immersive Sci-Fi game experience ever known. Due to their incredible success so far they are now looking for a Team level and Senior Systems Designer to help lead the effort in creating gameplay systems, game modes, and scripted events for their upcoming game.

Lol

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

Why do they need to specify "3D titles"? Is it the late 90s?

Well, I hear Newgrounds is hiring

Deedrix
Jun 6, 2016

"Give me money and I'll give you shit in return."
CIG ToS

Goobs posted:

Uh ohhhhhhhhh

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Lladre posted:

I forget, why is Chris too busy?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Uncanny.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Why do HR people feel the need to write reams and reams of woolly bullshit about literally any job? It's not just CIG every fucker does it.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Roberto Parpallini.

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009

MedicineHut posted:

Do we know if the PID controller algorithms are actually working in the game? I mean judging by the borked physics and balsa wood you can see in AC and the PU (and looking back to all the issues to date with flight physics, cutlass issues etc) I suspect the fideliteh in this area has been completely dropped or cheated to death too. BFCSSE, Best loving Cheat Space Sim Ever.

I'm not focusing on whether or not the PID systems are in and working.

I'm saying it's a stupid idea to even think of using that system. In the real world you have PID controllers to compensate for real world problems. i.e. Physical things can't be perfectly modeled, so you get as close as you can and make corrections as you go.

In a game, you don't need a PID because you have control over the game.

Example: I created a PID to keep a wheel spinning at a user-settable speed regardless of load. Ideally, you would say x power @ y load = z speed, but that only works on paper. In the real world, you have to monitor the speed, and make changes on the fly to how much power you're outputting, otherwise your speed will be off. A PID controller is a constant guess and check.
In a game, you just tell the drat thing to spin however fast you want.

:cig: logic:
I want to turn left...
use look up table for this ship's ability to turn left[
calculate turn needs
simulate power distribution
simulate turning
simulate previous calculations being off (this will always happen in real world, never in simulation)
simulate minor adjustments to calculations
repeat

In short, not only was this a big engineering debt, it served literally no purpose, and no one would feel the effects, ever. Like one of those boxes with an on switch that just turns itself off.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

CrazyLoon posted:

Roberto Parpallini.

4 years in and he needs to be bailed out by Germany.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Goobs posted:

I'm actually starting to get into fpv drone racing. It's really crazy how fast these things go (125 mph). The tech is really cool too, you put on VR goggles and it's like you're pod racing I'll..minus the dying horribly in a fire part.

Phhaawww, dying in a horrible fire is the best bit of real mans racing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUZwQa37zUg

*no one dies here, just go fast

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Goobs posted:

lmao this. so loving true.

Yeah. My cat was handled a lot when she was little and is now a huge softy. Loves being picked up, begs for belly rubs, wants to be around people all the time. It takes an awful lot of poking and prodding and generally being annoying to get her irritated. Which I do on a regular basis of course.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

The difference is that one guy's spouse, in a show of good faith and solidarity to their German friends, gave a rousing performance of Deutschland Uber Alles, and the other guy is Benito Mussolini.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
X
Someone needs to apply to see how far along they are. Like in a phone interview say "what stage of the project is it in, i have experience in bugfixing etcetc"

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
"We need to bring someone on to help develop core features and tech for our AAA game"

"Wow its exciting to get in so early on an ambitious project. 2018 release?"

"We ship in December". Gunshot

SurfaceDetail fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jun 15, 2016

Junk Puncher
Dec 31, 2009
Why am I losing sleep over this not game being not made by not competent poo poo heads?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ComfyPants posted:

The difference is that one guy's spouse, in a show of good faith and solidarity to their German friends, gave a rousing performance of Deutschland Uber Alles, and the other guy is Benito Mussolini.

She couldn't handle being around so many Blackshirts.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Junk Puncher posted:

Why am I losing sleep over this not game being not made by not competent poo poo heads?

Have you tried playing a good game recently?

Or watch any of the 10 separate shows they produce, those'll knock you right out!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How many refugees does Chris take in a single trip, what's the charge, and is it reflected in the funding chart?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SelenicMartian posted:

How many refugees does Chris take in a single trip, what's the charge, and is it reflected in the funding chart?

None, because Sandi is a racist.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
In other news, Battlefield 1 already has DLC. Want to play as the French? You know, the country that most of the fighting happened on?

DLC.

Suck it down, bitches.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Jobbo_Fett posted:

In other news, Battlefield 1 already has DLC. Want to play as the French? You know, the country that most of the fighting happened on?

DLC.

Suck it down, bitches.

I watched some dude play 45minutes of the loving alpha. It was epic,dynamic airplane damage etcetc.

ill gladly take all their DLC into my rear end and let them give me a pozzed creampie. With a smile.

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

I have a theory about this. I believe they have scaled everything in the PU waaaaay down from the core game engine unit. It's a shoe that fits both the horrible inaccurate and buggy collision detection, pervasive clipping issues, and the general balsa-wood physics issues.

I've used delved pretty deep into Nvidia Physx (the industry standard physics engine, used by both Unity and Unreal Engine), and you start seeing terminal weirdness when you scale your entities down too small. Each physics tick is normalized to the standard game engine unit (both distance and mass), so if you scale down too small, your entities approach the error margins inherent in the underlying algorithms. So you see things like objects just zipping through walls, strange impulse forces that knock you way back instead of just bump you, ships spinning off like a toenail off a clipper, etc.

Of course, it might not be this. It could also be the fucky netcode and the fact that they're not using "super-cutting-edge" technologies to deal with latency, like dead reckoning.

OH MY GOD I THINK I FIGURED IT OUT

I mean, sorry I'm posting from 18 pages back or if it was posted already, but I think I have the answer

Ok, I'm not a developer and know nothing about it (you win reddit) but what I think is going on is that they wanted a gigantic universe or whatever with as least (or completely non existent) loading as possible

Now, if you have a limited amount of real state in which you can develop these world spaces (for some X Y or Z reason) you have to stretch the milage of the world space you have

So what did they do? They made everything tiny so that it is larger in relation, which would fit with Toops explanation of why physics are so hosed up

THE UNIVERSE WAS NEVER LARGE EVERYTHING WAS JUST REALLY TINY INSTEAD

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
There's like 50's horror music fanfare going through my head right now. I just can't fathom it
:psyduck:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

SurfaceDetail posted:

I watched some dude play 45minutes of the loving alpha. It was epic,dynamic airplane damage etcetc.

ill gladly take all their DLC into my rear end and let them give me a pozzed creampie. With a smile.

If you want epic, dynamic airplane damage get Rise of Flight :shrug:

Unless you want it combined with the FPS combat. Still, I personally dislike how blatant they are with DLC, especially considering how leaving the French out of a WW1 game is loving stupid. It'd be like leaving out the US out of a WW2 game(which has been done, but rarely) and then charging 30$ for a DLC later on.

Edited in some words.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

DLC.

Suck it down, bitches.

Does it cost $2500?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AP posted:

Does it cost $2500?

It'll feel like it with those Deluxe prices, amirite!? :suicide:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Remember when at the Square Enix thing Hirohito Yamamoto came out and announced the new Final Fantasy game and YOU CAN PLAY THE DEMO TONIGHT!

Remember how at E3 the Resident Evil guy came out after you figured out at the end what you had just seen was Resident Evil and YOU CAN PLAY THE DEMO RIGHT NOW!

Remember when Chris Roberts stood in an aircraft hanger under a stupid airplane and YOU CAN LOOK AT A MAP!

Just lol

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

libertarians are the scum of the earth second only to straight out fascists

You know sometimes I try to follow US politics and occasionally I google terms like "libertarian" and have to close the browser as I feel sad and lost.

In contrast I imagine some nerdy guy in the US trying to follow UK politics and suspect he might feel sad too, but at least he's more likely to get a chuckle out of it.

https://twitter.com/MichaelPDeacon/status/743037646826573825

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wait…
- Expert in time management, verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent English communication and written skills.

How are the verbal and written communication skills needed (somehow) for time management not covered by the “excellent English communication and written skills”? Are they employing galley slaves and this is a job ad for some kind of partial whipping-and-guttural-shouting position?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Tippis posted:

Wait…
- Expert in time management, verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent English communication and written skills.

How are the verbal and written communication skills needed (somehow) for time management not covered by the Excellent English communication and written skills? Are they employing galley slaves and this is a job ad for some kind of partial whipping-and-guttural-shouting position?

Its in Germany, so presumably you should be able to communicate well in Parpese

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Furia posted:

There's like 50's horror music fanfare going through my head right now. I just can't fathom it
:psyduck:

eh

• Locked thread