Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

WampaLord posted:

Filibusters are only exciting to us political nerds.

I read this as U.S. political nerds first and got real indignant and was about to ask you where you thought you were posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

emdash posted:

“This sounds like a shucky-ducky kind of crowd on a shucky-ducky kind of day, here to support an awww-shucky ducky kind of candidate,” [Cain] told people.

he really did say it
:stare: Are we sure it wasn't someone else in blackface?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

A lovely Reporter posted:

Dude, you're talking about the guy who quoted the pokemon movie in a televised speech.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

emdash posted:

“This sounds like a shucky-ducky kind of crowd on a shucky-ducky kind of day, here to support an awww-shucky ducky kind of candidate,” [Cain] told people.

he really did say it

I can see Shucky Ducky and he's dancing and singing with the racist Dumbo crows.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

VanSandman posted:

I read this as U.S. political nerds first and got real indignant and was about to ask you where you thought you were posting.

Haha, no, I meant it in the "One of us, one of us, gooble gobble, gooble gobble" sense.

Are you doubting that Herman Cain said a weird thing?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
To everyone wondering why Obama and Clinton using the phrase "radical islamic terrorism" is such a silly no-win load of poo poo, Trump has spent the last five minutes of his speech playing grammar police, saying that Hillary only said "radical islamism" and Obama only said "radical islamics" because they're afraid to say the whole magic phrase.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Business Gorillas posted:

There's absolutely a reason for her to compromise on liberal economic policies if she doesn't want them in the first place.

Or it's what's already passed in Washington and New York. CA is the only state that's trying for a $15 minimum wage across the board this year.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

DeepDickPizza posted:

To everyone wondering why Obama and Clinton using the phrase "radical islamic terrorism" is such a silly no-win load of poo poo, Trump has spent the last five minutes of his speech playing grammar police, saying that Hillary only said "radical islamism" and Obama only said "radical islamics" because they're afraid to say the whole magic phrase.

This whole idea of treating "radical Islamic terrorism" like it's the True Name for some D&D demon might be the weirdest loving line of attack in modern American politics, which is really something.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

showbiz_liz posted:

Woah what the hell happened to the drug legalization thread

Someone made an ill advised analogy of the right to put a dick and/or joint in your mouth without getting arrested for it and just kept doubling down while others were freaking out that 'he said being a drug user is just like being gay'.

It was pretty stupid all in all.

Does shucky ducky mean something because as far as I can tell that's just the big weirdo being a big weirdo.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shuckey_Duckey

e: i'm not saying anything either way, just pointing out this exists

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Hulk Krogan posted:

This whole idea of treating "radical Islamic terrorism" like it's the True Name for some D&D demon might be the weirdest loving line of attack in modern American politics, which is really something.

Maybe it's like those sovcits. It's not enough to just say 'radical Islamic terrorism', you also need to capitalize the right letters to gain True Power over the terrorists and they won't be able to do evil anymore because it'll become illegal or something.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It's official now:

https://twitter.com/NPR/status/743132727902412800

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Nevvy Z posted:

Does shucky ducky mean something because as far as I can tell that's just the big weirdo being a big weirdo.

Shuckey Duckey

quote:

Now if you see a fine girl or a guy you like, you say "awwwwww, shuck-ay duck-ay!" Now if you get the girl pregnant, you say "drat!", 'cause you done shuck your ducky too long.

EDIT: Aw, shuckey ducky, beaten.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Prediction: they will not hold the floor past 1pm tomorrow.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Joementum posted:

Prediction: they will not hold the floor past 1pm tomorrow.

I bet they could if they just spent the entire time saying "radical Islam"

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Maybe it's like those sovcits. It's not enough to just say 'radical Islamic terrorism', you also need to capitalize the right letters to gain True Power over the terrorists and they won't be able to do evil anymore because it'll become illegal or something.

the point of this attack is to vaguely claim that the administration isn't willing to do what is necessary to destroy radical islam. since the speaker of this attack isn't making any positive claims about what should be done, they have to resort to attacking the target's credibility in ways such as "they can't even admit radical islam is a problem! they won't even say the words!"

keep in mind that most americans actually have no idea that we are backing up local militias via bombing and advisors, and making progress against isis. if they manage to recapture raqqa before election day it would be the deathblow of trump's campaign

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jun 15, 2016

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Relatedly, fresh from my Facebook feed:

Sorry, still waking up and assumed you were agreeing that it was better policy.

Here's the actual news link, but yes 49 people were shot this past weekend in Chicago and 7 died.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/42-people-shot-7-killed-in-chicago-weekend-violence/1383393/

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

https://twitter.com/MULawPoll/status/743134210261680128

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I could see the M1 garand being the hot new massacre weapon after the AR-Style semi auto is banned.

*Wood furniture, so its not an assault weapon designed only for murder
    *Nearly double the velocity with a bigger round
    *Only 8 rounds, so it skirts under "High capacity" if we set that at 10.
    *Stripper clips

I'd have said the Mini-14 but those are seen all the time with curvy magazines, so they trigger the "Assault weapon" reaction :ohdear:

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 15, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Crain posted:

Reason is a libertarian magazine.

Who cares, the dude had the titular line in Star Wars, I think he's worth hearing out

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I could see the M1 garand being the hot new massacre weapon after the AR-Style semi auto is banned.

*Stripper clips

I'd have said the Mini-14 but those are seen all the time with curvy clips, so they trigger.

The AR-15 has a higher velocity because of the smaller round actually.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

A Winner is Jew posted:

Ouch, my google fu. So it is, i confused the "Velocity" field with the "Energy" field. Its like throwing a marble vs throwing a cannon ball.

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 15, 2016

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

boom boom boom posted:

Who cares, the dude had the titular line in Star Wars, I think he's worth hearing out

Don't invade Crain's safe space with ideas he may disagree with :ohdear:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

boom boom boom posted:

The titular line AND the title line.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

boom boom boom posted:

Lmao what are you on about. Dudes just a libertarian EoC of a magazine that plays host to everything from Holocaust deniers to Christian Dominionists.

So again: Pass.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Crain posted:

Lmao what are you on about. Dudes just a libertarian EoC of a magazine that plays host to everything from Holocaust deniers to Christian Dominionists.

None of whom have been on that podcast to my knowledge, certainly not in the latest episode.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

A Winner is Jew posted:

.30-06 has a velocity of well over 2000 ft/s compared to 5.56 NATO having a velocity of a little over 900 m/s (2900+ ft/s), so.... yeah?

edit: i'm stupid and can't tell the difference between metric and imperial

JUST MAKING CHILI fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 15, 2016

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Amergin posted:

Don't invade Crain's safe space with ideas he may disagree with :ohdear:

Look you can make bed fellows with all the White Nationalists and Holocaust deniers you want, god knows the GOP's Southern Strategy already comfortable with them enough to give them the keys to asylum.

But I don't find their ideas very worthwhile.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

The Mandingo posted:

.30-06 has a velocity of well over 2000 ft/s compared to 5.56 NATO having a velocity of a little over 900 ft/s, so.... nah?

AR-15 has a velocity of over 3k.

900 ft/s is like half that of black powder speeds.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

I read this as '24% of Sanders supporters probably weren't going to vote anyway'.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Amergin posted:

None of whom have been on that podcast to my knowledge, certainly not in the latest episode.

"Sure they're a hive of literal KKK members and Nazis, but not at least in thiiis episode."

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Crain posted:

Hi, you have been aggressively Missing The Joke for some time now, and might want to stop making dramatic proclamations

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

DeepDickPizza posted:

Shuckey Duckey

EDIT: Aw, shuckey ducky, beaten.

Mods, for the love of god add shuckey duckey to the word filters. I don't know for what, but do it.

e: also when the gently caress did Cain ever watch Def Comedy Jam

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Hi, you have been aggressively Missing The Joke for some time now, and might want to stop making dramatic proclamations

Care to explain it?

Like really.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

MattD1zzl3 posted:

*Stripper clips

I'd have said the Mini-14 but those are seen all the time with curvy magazines, so they trigger the "Assault weapon" reaction :ohdear:

Yeah when I was younger I wanted one of those because the M1 is the only semi-auto US Service weapon it was legal to possess for a MA resident under 21 since it didn't have a detachable magazine. I had had designs on collecting historically significant firearms at that time.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
An M1 Garand would be a much worse weapon for mass murder. It's heavy as gently caress, has much heavier recoil, the old-timey "en bloc" clips only hold 8 rounds, and it's easy to smash the gently caress out of your thumb while reloading if you're not careful. That's why the military moved away from massive .30 caliber battle rifles in the first place. They kick like mules, give you too few shots between reloads, and have more power than you really need if you just want to rapidly kill humans inside 300 yards. They're also harder to gain proficiency with than smaller, lighter assault rifles that don't kick nearly as hard.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

theflyingorc posted:

Maybe it's just a poo poo joke.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Crain posted:

Care to explain it?

Like really.

The name of the person who was from Reason magazine is very similar to Matt Walsh, founding UCB member who has appeared on such television programs as Veep and Arrested Development.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
I'm starting to worry that the GOP will replace Trump with another candidate who can bask in the glow of not being Trump. A month ago I wouldn't have thought it possible, but he's just been so, so, so very bad that I'm afraid they could get away with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

Oh it's just purposefully mixing Matt Walsh with Matt Welch.

Hilarious.

theflyingorc posted:

The name of the person who was from Reason magazine is very similar to Matt Walsh, founding UCB member who has appeared on such television programs as Veep and Arrested Development.

Ok.

Hilarious. And does nothing to change my mind of writing off Reason Magazine and their collective works.

• Locked thread