Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Throwing a propane tank into a fire while trying to debate a flat earther is a totally reasonable response

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
What else was he supposed to do after his truth bombs didn't work?

Brandon Proust
Jun 22, 2006

"Like many intellectuals, he was incapable of scoring a simple goal in a simple way"

Whiskey Sours posted:

We have reasonable gun laws in Canada, but our gun culture is heavily influenced by the United States.

Ban America imho.

Let's build a wall and make trump pay for it

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jordan7hm posted:

What else was he supposed to do after his truth bombs didn't work?

Well if he'd had a gun...

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

OSI bean dip posted:

It would be hilarious to hear your take on how these chickens and other livestock would do if they were released into the wild to roam free.

Chickens do pretty good if there's no predators. Kauai is covered with them, it's kind of neat.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Brockville is a terrible place.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If banning and seizing all guns cost $1bn and saved just one life it would be worth it.

Wringing your hands over gun liberties is like not wanting to slow down traffic in Toronto for commuters even the slightest bit despite over a hundred pedestrians getting run over a year.

The government makes changes all the time based on data to improve health and safety, but for some reason we can't do anything that might make shooting guns harder or driving single occupancy vehicles a bit less convenient.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 15, 2016

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

We've got the American Jesus
Overwhelming millions every day

Ban gunchat, force everyone involved to kiss and make up

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Arabian Jesus posted:

Ban gunchat, force everyone involved to kiss and make up

Make up? No. But you did manage to make me throw up.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I have a buddy who is o sessed with guns and he constantly spews this rhetoric about how the government is going to steal them all after every mass shooting in the u.s and I have to remind him he's Canadian. Gun owners feeling persecuted for laws and crimes from a different country confuse and baffle me

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Furnaceface posted:

Make up? No. But you did manage to make me throw up.

It all makes sense now!

These are the two men the Pulse shooter saw kissing, that's why he was so angry and disgusted. :v:

cowofwar posted:

If banning and seizing all guns cost $1bn and saved just one life it would be worth it.

Wringing your hands over gun liberties is like not wanting to slow down traffic in Toronto for commuters even the slightest bit despite over a hundred pedestrians getting run over a year.

The government makes changes all the time based on data to improve health and safety, but for some reason we can't do anything that might make shooting guns harder or driving single occupancy vehicles a bit less convenient.

We can and do impose regulations which restrict these things (gun ownership and use, car ownership and driving) without banning them outright.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

busy bugs lopped off most of the north too for some reason or other

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have a buddy who is o sessed with guns and he constantly spews this rhetoric about how the government is going to steal them all after every mass shooting in the u.s and I have to remind him he's Canadian. Gun owners feeling persecuted for laws and crimes from a different country confuse and baffle me

It's because every time some lovely American does a lovely thing in America with a gun media outlets in Canada run a week worth of 'OMG GUNS ARE SO SCARY GUYS!' articles and people are giving you the stink eye for walking into the gun section of crappy tire to get some target load shells so you can shoot skeet after work.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

I'm the moose chillin in the background, nice touch.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Ban guns if not for safety for the knowledge that it will erode rural culture.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

Arcsquad12 posted:

I have a similarly gun obsessed friend, and he feels persecuted just because Canadian gun laws aren't as open as American gun laws.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Brandon Proust posted:

Let's build a wall and make trump pay for it

There's a British TV show called The Last Leg that basically did this. I'm on mobile or else I'd link it but it's mildly humourous.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

A few bad apples can spoil the bunch and this is why you can't own a gun.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

PittTheElder, have I fallen for a bloody "Angels of Mons" story for all this time? Dammit.

IF WE ALL HAD ROSS RIFLES THIS WOULDN'T HAPPEN

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Just outlaw everything but 303s.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JawKnee posted:

busy bugs lopped off most of the north too for some reason or other

Hope springs eternal.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

cowofwar posted:

No, this would be pretty dumb.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Seize them anyway for the entertainment of watching gun babies cry.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
If you own a gun you should be required by law to wear a battery powered sound pack that produces banjo music and or Nickleback's "Photograph" whenever you have your gun with you or buy ammunition or parts for it

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

What about people who hunt with bolt-actions? Like legit "I turn the animal into food" hunters?

Also if a .303 is good enough for the Canadian Rangers it's good enough for me.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

MA-Horus posted:

What about people who hunt with bolt-actions? Like legit "I turn the animal into food" hunters?

Also if a .303 is good enough for the Canadian Rangers it's good enough for me.

Bow and arrow like a real man hunting for food would do. Guns are shortcuts for people that should starve because they cant hunt properly. :colbert:

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Furnaceface posted:

Bow and arrow like a real man hunting for food would do. Guns are shortcuts for people that should starve because they cant hunt properly. :colbert:

A true Canadian hero.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

PT6A posted:

How dumb is the Wildrose Party?
Here's an actual example tho

Danielle Smith posted:

One piece of information Nicky didn’t know, and which I revealed on my show today, was that it was at the 2014 AGM where I also discovered who was behind a nasty push poll that had been designed to suppress Wildrose support during the September byelections. A “poll” went out asking people to identify their support. When they identified as Wildrose they were played a message that went something like this: “Wildrose Leader Danielle Smith and some of her MLAs marched in Pride where men dressed in women’s underwear and danced in front of children. Is this consistent with your values?” The “poll” was targeted and designed to keep Wildrose voters from coming out to vote during the byelections and it worked: we lost all four seats. I thought it was done by one of our opponents. At the AGM I found out it was done by a Wildrose organizer supported by a Wildrose donor. The effort at the AGM to vote down the LGBTQ equality rights policy was apparently part of an effort to teach me a lesson for marching in Pride.

cheese sandwich
Feb 9, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

Here's an actual example tho

They sure showed her!

P-Value Hack
Apr 4, 2016

MA-Horus posted:

There's already a ban on detachable magazines for rifles, 5 rds maximum. You can do just as much damage with a 10 round bolt-action hunting rifle as you can with a 5-round semi-auto rifle.

Oh cmon, this is really disengenous and you know it, as ex-military you of all people should know that the ergonomics, stoppage drills and general ease of handling make an AR-type platform have the ability to do much more damage than a bolt-action.

Look, illegal, not illegal, I don't care, but I'm tired of this lazy trope of "Hurr AR-15 is semi-auto, so it's absolutely no different than my huntin' rifle". That's bullshit. Otherwise, why would a gun company design a military weapon with all those ergonomic features in mind like pistol grip, magazine-fed, collapsible butt stocks, forestock grips etc.?

You've done room clearing drills right? You're not going to sit there and tell me that it's just as easy to do a room clear with a loving long-rifle than it is with an C8 Carbine right? Semi-auto or not semi-auto, there are a lot more to "damage" capable of easily being done with an assault rifle. Not to mention conducting reloads, stoppage drills and all the other essential functions that happen in a firefight.

It's pretty retarded that the people most knowledgeable about the effectiveness of AR-15 platforms tend to also be complete disingenuous dicks when it comes to policy because "MAH TOYYSS"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Two questions hopefully someone more in the know can answer:

1) Has a legally obtained and stored AR-15 ever been used to commit a crime in Canada?
2) Is the AR-15 classified as a restricted firearm due to its characteristics, or because of its "reputation"?

I don't have a particular problem with the AR-15 being a restricted firearm either way. I don't think it should be prohibited, and I'm not sure it should be unrestricted. Again, I think the status quo is working pretty well in Canada.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

David Corbett posted:

In a country where you can run into dangerous game such as bears, cougars and angry moose, you'd be stupid to bring a non-repeating rifle to the woods. There's a reason why hunters (those who could afford to, anyway) spent mega bucks on double-barrelled rifles before reliable high-powered repeaters were developed.

Also, from a practical perspective, banning nearly all of Canada's millions of guns in circulation would be a terrible idea.

It's cute that you think that somehow the best way to take down an angry bear or moose would be to shoot it a bunch.

Please go and try that out and we will read now it goes because if you don't kill it first shot, we will read about it.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I literally no fooling got back from a night of shooting skeet, an M14 an AR-15 and a handgun. Everyone had a good time and not a single person got murdered.

Then we went and got pizza and beer at Boston Pizza.

Y'all are a bunch of big stuck up urban trash babies.

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

EvilJoven posted:

I literally no fooling got back from a night of shooting skeet, an M14 an AR-15 and a handgun. Everyone had a good time and not a single person got murdered.

Unironically the saddest post ever in this thread.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

EvilJoven posted:

You are a literal monster.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

PT6A posted:

Two questions hopefully someone more in the know can answer:

1) Has a legally obtained and stored AR-15 ever been used to commit a crime in Canada?
2) Is the AR-15 classified as a restricted firearm due to its characteristics, or because of its "reputation"?

I don't have a particular problem with the AR-15 being a restricted firearm either way. I don't think it should be prohibited, and I'm not sure it should be unrestricted. Again, I think the status quo is working pretty well in Canada.

1) Don't know, better ask someone else
2) Restricted by name via order in council. Rumor has it the rationale behind the order was it looked scary. I suspect it was so the powers that be could be seen as doing something.

I agree that our system is pretty good as is. The biggest features being that you have to take a safety course before you can get a license, and the fact that we (mostly) have the same rules for the whole country, rather than the cluster gently caress of different rules for every state South of the border.

EvilJoven posted:

Boston Pizza.

The single error in your ways.

B33rChiller fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jun 16, 2016

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
What you do tonight? Go to your favorite gastropub drink overpriced micro brews and take turns smelling each other's farts and discussing the texture and flavor?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

EvilJoven posted:

What you do tonight? Go to your favorite gastropub drink overpriced micro brews and take turns smelling each other's farts and discussing the texture and flavor?

Uh, I went to Olive Garden, thanks. :chord:

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

EvilJoven posted:

How dare you

Edit: And yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
The best thing about this thread is I'm not making up a single thing about what I did this evening and I bet at least two of you are legit upset by that.