Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Palisader posted:

Just get a sandwich press, goddamn.

Buy a grill from a retired boxer. #lifehack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

The Ape of Naples posted:

Huh. Apparently they're called "Ninja Rocks" and are considered burglary tools in California and Washington.

Sounds like something we would have called them back in high school. But yeah, as a former rear end in a top hat teenager, they work wonders on car windows when getting up to mischief. Something sciency about the crystal structure vs tempered glass, but they are relatively quiet compared to smashing with a hammer or crowbar or othe rtypical means

Well i'll be.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_rocks

Heck this was back in the 80s so about 10 years before the first wiki references

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Sounds like something we would have called them back in high school. But yeah, as a former rear end in a top hat teenager, they work wonders on car windows when getting up to mischief. Something sciency about the crystal structure vs tempered glass, but they are relatively quiet compared to smashing with a hammer or crowbar or othe rtypical means

Well i'll be.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ninja_rocks

Heck this was back in the 80s so about 10 years before the first wiki references

They should just make hammers out of shards of spark plugs.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Criminals can 3d print your keys if they see them and break into your house so make sure to never have your keys in sight of anyone!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01WJn9jp_s8&t=42s

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

The Ape of Naples posted:

They should just make hammers out of shards of spark plugs.

Well, they do make ceramic-head hammers, but they're not shard-y.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alterian posted:

Criminals can 3d print your keys if they see them and break into your house so make sure to never have your keys in sight of anyone!

They can also just use a metal file, but gotta cash in on the 3D‐printing buzz.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Alterian posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01WJn9jp_s8&t=42s

I love that at no point did he try to use that eggshell of a key in an actual lock.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey guys listen you can 3d print any key to open any Master ® lock!!! Is this a key?

To Master ® locks it is! Master ® locks, the world's most widely accpeting lock maker.

#lifehack #lockhacks #notalock

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Bosnianbill could certainly make it work

darkhand
Jan 18, 2010

This beard just won't do!
Yeah I'm going to spend 3 hours hacking your keys instead of 30seconds picking your wal-mart door lock hahah

wait a second is this the infamous anti-life-hack. Giving criminals fake hacks to waste their time???? Genius

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
State of the art of consumer 3D printing has now reached Master ® lock levels of tolerances, LEGO ® levels of tolerances expected to hit the market in 2025.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Karma Monkey posted:

Well, they do make ceramic-head hammers, but they're not shard-y.

The trick is how sharp the ceramic shard gets, you could honestly use any broken piece of the right kind of ceramic, it's just that broken spark plug pieces hold an edge surprisingly well and fit in your pocket.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Why yes, I do like to hold an edge in my pocket. That's where I keep all my favourite things.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Seath the Peelless has betrayed the other Everlasting Bananas in the hopes of preventing his ripening. The Chosen Undead must slay him and eat his Lord Soul off the floor like a animal. :darksouls:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you're surprised by the spark plug hack you've obviously never played Telltale's Walking Dead game.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Karate Bastard posted:

State of the art of consumer 3D printing has now reached Master ® lock levels of tolerances

So, cat food tin lids, then?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Old Chrysler cars are also a no-go for security.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie4Haj1dkmk

Is it this thread that lockpicking has come up in a few times? Where the general consensus is that locks just serve as a deterrent to lazy or cautious criminals and anyone with mild skill and determination can break them easily?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Good locks would also take about a minute or so to open too so someone doesn't just walk up to a masterlock with a rake and just take a bike while everyone walking by thinks they just used a key

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Control Volume posted:

Good locks would also take about a minute or so to open too so someone doesn't just walk up to a masterlock with a rake and just take a bike while everyone walking by thinks they just used a key

Well, the key there (har har) is that locks mostly just keep away criminals who aren't actually dedicated to committing the crime. They'll keep away guys who don't want to be caught by a bystander or the owner fiddling with a lock, or are afraid that they'll make too much noise smashing it open. The people who actually want to break the lock and are willing to rub two brain cells together to figure out how to deal with it are going to have little trouble with any cheap lock like the Masterlocks that bosnianbill keeps exploiting like a Bethesda RPG.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, the key there (har har) is that locks mostly just keep away criminals who aren't actually dedicated to committing the crime. They'll keep away guys who don't want to be caught by a bystander or the owner fiddling with a lock, or are afraid that they'll make too much noise smashing it open. The people who actually want to break the lock and are willing to rub two brain cells together to figure out how to deal with it are going to have little trouble with any cheap lock like the Masterlocks that bosnianbill keeps exploiting like a Bethesda RPG.

True, my Jeep Cherokee had the same lock he picked above, and my thief just jammed a screwdriver and popped the whole lock cylinder out of the door, which when you pull on it, it unlocks the door.

:rip: my $20 socket set and jumper cables

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

CharlieWhiskey posted:

True, my Jeep Cherokee had the same lock he picked above, and my thief just jammed a screwdriver and popped the whole lock cylinder out of the door, which when you pull on it, it unlocks the door.

:rip: my $20 socket set and jumper cables

There was a thread in Ask/Tell a while ago where a guy ended up losing his key to his apartment mailbox or something and had no way to open it. After much discussion about buying a transparent padlock and pick set and learning how to pick it, he just shoved a screwdriver in the hole and twisted until the lock bent open because it was made of soft metal.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly most safety systems are just about being more annoying to break into that your neighbors. If a trained thief wants your poo poo they can take it.

Edit: I used to watch that show "to catch a thief", the most effective tool for breaking into a house was usually a big rock through a window. There was exactly one episode where the neighbors even checked about the sound of broken glass. And I'm pretty that was faked to make the neighborhood cop look good.

Shwqa has a new favorite as of 08:56 on Jun 16, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

PiratePing posted:

It's mostly that a light breeze will send them swinging wildly, splattering your guests and loved ones with hot wax. Getting the wax out of the inevitable rustic barnwood table underneath must be a chore too.

The quest for the ultimate toaster grilled cheese hack continues

THis has been around for literally decades.

It does not work. I tried it ten years ago, it sucks.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
A couple of years ago my neighbour lost his keys and had a locksmith around. On my way out I asked the locksmith why he was drilling out the whole lock and not picking it, like I thought they were taught those things before becoming a locksmith. He basically told me he could probably pick the lock in 5 minutes, but then the customer would just want to pay him $5 for 5 minutes of work, which doesn't even cover the 30 minutes of driving he had to do for the job. No, he'd rather drill the lock and install a new lock and charge $150 for the new lock + installation. Also, something about it's always smart to change the lock when you lose the key. #smallbusinesshack

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Now that is a valuable life lesson.

#lifehack: If you lose your apartment key (or other critical item), simply kill yourself and life will immediately load the latest auto-save.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Shanghaied posted:

A couple of years ago my neighbour lost his keys and had a locksmith around. On my way out I asked the locksmith why he was drilling out the whole lock and not picking it, like I thought they were taught those things before becoming a locksmith. He basically told me he could probably pick the lock in 5 minutes, but then the customer would just want to pay him $5 for 5 minutes of work, which doesn't even cover the 30 minutes of driving he had to do for the job. No, he'd rather drill the lock and install a new lock and charge $150 for the new lock + installation. Also, something about it's always smart to change the lock when you lose the key. #smallbusinesshack

I understand wanting to get paid for your work and time but that just sounds like a dick move. Did you tell your neighbour?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

nexus6 posted:

I understand wanting to get paid for your work and time but that just sounds like a dick move. Did you tell your neighbour?

It seems like the only way a locksmith would make decent money on those jobs without charging huge prices for everything. Otherwise they'd need to inflate their prices so you're paying out the nose for a task that you could learn to do in a few hours of work and never bother with again.

Captainsalami
Apr 16, 2010

I told you you'd pay!
Have you never dealt with the public? Everyones a weasel. No one wants to pay. Blame capitalism or something, I guess? Even if its five minutes of extreme skill (see: most of the IT threads on these forums) no one wants to pay for the skill, just what they see as something easy and no time at all. Even if it took four years of schooling.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I get that. I've heard the rationales and I'm in software development myself but I still feel shady when we bill someone an hour for a task that took me 2 minutes, especially if it's something they could have done themselves.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Like Whistler said in the famous court case against Ruskin, you don't get paid for highly skilled work based on the actual time spent, but on "the knowledge of a lifetime."

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

AlbieQuirky posted:

Like Whistler said in the famous court case against Ruskin, you don't get paid for highly skilled work based on the actual time spent, but on "the knowledge of a lifetime."

Yeah, professionally you can hit a point where you're paid less for your time and more for being trustworthy enough to not gently caress up.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I once called a locksmith because my girlfriend had accidentally locked me inside the apartment leaving for work in the morning. It was one of those old timey lever locks, and that day we found out that our keys were actually too short to catch the mechanism from the inside. Probably the first time the guy was able to open a locked door with the actual key, which I handed him through the mail slot.

I made sure to call one in the immediate neighborhood, and he charged me a tenner, which I thought was fair enough. I mean he did have to come over.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

My Lovely Horse posted:

I once called a locksmith because my girlfriend had accidentally locked me inside the apartment leaving for work in the morning. It was one of those old timey lever locks, and that day we found out that our keys were actually too short to catch the mechanism from the inside. Probably the first time the guy was able to open a locked door with the actual key, which I handed him through the mail slot.

I made sure to call one in the immediate neighborhood, and he charged me a tenner, which I thought was fair enough. I mean he did have to come over.

Why call a locksmith in that case? You could have called literally anyone who could take a key and open the door. You probably could have ordered take out for that much and got him to open the door for you.

I think this was an episode of Peep Show now that I think about it.

E: Yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ontu2YKtzRY

VVV That's fair. I didn't mean to really call you out. I was more thinking out loud. I was pretty sure that you had tried different options. Also, sorry you had to lose that sax solo.

RoyKeen has a new favorite as of 18:32 on Jun 16, 2016

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I tried a few folks but everyone was at work. Which was also where I was supposed to be, so it was a little urgent and that really was the fastest option.

Briefly considered the police but was like, screw that, I'm not keeping the cops busy for something this ridiculous, nor am I ending up in the curiosities section of the police report.

e: now that I think about it, she did it again a few weeks later, and that time I did have the time to call a buddy.

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?

My Lovely Horse posted:

e: now that I think about it, she did it again a few weeks later, and that time I did have the time to call a buddy.

Learn to take a hint, buddy.

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
I think the deal with 3d printed (or CNC machined) keys from a photo is not that it suddenly makes it possible to forge keys that were previously inimitable. If any idiot can use a cell phone app to order a copy of a key with close to zero effort, that's going to happen more frequently for nefarious purposes than lockpicking or key copying techniques which require time, skill or general persistence.

All physical security boils down to discouraging casual theft and costing determined thieves as much time as possible.

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why does your girlfriend want to keep you trapped in your home, forums poster My Lovely Horse?

iSurrender
Aug 25, 2005
Now with 22% more apathy!

My Lovely Horse posted:

I tried a few folks but everyone was at work. Which was also where I was supposed to be, so it was a little urgent and that really was the fastest option.

Briefly considered the police but was like, screw that, I'm not keeping the cops busy for something this ridiculous, nor am I ending up in the curiosities section of the police report.

Should have McGyvered some sticks together with tape into a keyholder you could use to open it from the outside through the mailslot.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
He's being Fritzld.

Gesundheit.

I think as 3D printers become more commonplace, more and more home security measures will move to become less and less of delay tactic mechanisms, and more and more of a maze of unintentionally deadly booby traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lifehack: you can't be arrested for setting booby traps in your house if your booby traps kill you first.