Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Jaaam posted:

Nobody who plays video games is cool in the first place so this doesn't matter.

Seriously though, shields are like training wheels for souls games, a whole new game opens up to you once you ditch it. The shield reliant playstyle is very limiting, and needing to dodge everything makes you much more aware of enemy timing and positioning.

That's kind of my issue with the way shields work in the souls games. They could be so much cool, but I guess it would be too tough to allow for actual attacks and the like with medium shields. Maybe a power stance type of move set, but with a 1handed weapon and a shield. Also, I never found just tanking damaging to be particularly effective, so I roll and dodge more than block even while using a shield. Far easier to position your self during fights that way.

I guess greatshields would be good for tanking though.

Fire Barrel fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
playing a living mountain of beef dragging around a huge greatshield is a pretty fun gimmick, but shields get so stale especially after how many Souls games. i'm glad Bloodborne opened up more people to the idea of leaving the shield at home.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Genocyber posted:

The (Hunter) torch actually had solid damage. Upgraded, and especially with some arcane, it did very good damage to beasts when you got it, and it stays pretty useful throughout for enemies weak to fire, especially the few that are super resistant to physical stuff.

The torch here has pretty poor damage except against dogs, and if you want fire to stun something like the leech monsters or the pus of mans then you're better off with something like Fireball.

Yes, and BB had those dudes who would get blinded by the torch (unless there are enemies who do so in DSIII) which was kinda cool, if simple.

Also, I may be misremembering, but it felt like BB had way more dark areas that required a torch, but then again it matches the game's theme.

Mystic Stylez fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 16, 2016

DeadlyHalibut
May 31, 2008

Guillermus posted:

I like the Spider shield, on top of that it offers 50 poison damage (it isn't inmune to poison/toxic like DS1 while blocking but hey).

My pyro is really kicking now, a +7 chaos Thrall hatchet with quickstep owns but I want to use a skill shield for that so I can do 1h swings for the low stamina cost and I plan, as I can farm the materials, upgrade the shield to +9 to increase stability because I love grinding for stupid reasons. At the same time I'd love to use a shield enchanted with simple so I have three contenders for that:

Simple Eagle Kite Shield
Offers 95% physichal block but highest weight and lowest magic defenses

Simple Spider Shield
Lowest physichal block (76%), lowest weight and mediocre magic defenses but offers 50 poison resist (not even need to block for that).

Simple Wargod shield
Slightly better block (79%) but not THAT much compared to the spider, 0.5 more weight but better overall magic defenses compared to the other two.

What should I use for PVE? (On pvp I rather just use a target shield or caestus).

Edit: fixed a broken link.

I really recommend leveling str to 18 and using Shield of Want. Really good block values and stability and the sweet +souls buff.

e: can't be infused but simple infusion takes ages to get even one spell's worth restored.

DeadlyHalibut fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 15, 2016

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010

Million Ghosts posted:

playing a living mountain of beef dragging around a huge greatshield is a pretty fun gimmick, but shields get so stale especially after how many Souls games. i'm glad Bloodborne opened up more people to the idea of leaving the shield at home.

Yeah, I think BB's combat, overall, on point for the most part. Perhaps a bit too easy once you got use to it, but definitely the most satisfying gameplay of the Souls games. Would've liked to have seen some of the weapons tweaked a bit, but the sliding, parrying/visceral attack, and overall pace of the game's combat made for a very engaging experience.

As for shields in ARPGs, I think Dragon's Dogma handled it really well. A bit over the top for some contexts, but the fighter blended mobility, blocking/parrying, and power. You're not just a boring tank - which is often my issues with the ways game depict fighters in armor or using shields, or both. You're not just taking huge blows on the shield - you're parrying, attacking, and moving into the action. These are all much more enjoyable, at least in my opinion. I mean, most "medium" shields weren't metal and weren't really cumbersome things just to soak up hits.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Fire Barrel posted:

That's kind of my issue with the way shields work in the souls games. They could be so much cool, but I guess it would be too tough to allow for actual attacks and the like with medium shields. Maybe a power stance type of move set, but with a 1handed weapon and a shield. Also, I never found just tanking damaging to be particularly effective, so I roll and dodge more than block even while using a shield. Far easier to position your self during fights that way.

I guess greatshields would be good for tanking though.

More realistic shield and weapon combat would be cool but probably hard to balance in the same way as having more realistic attack animations. It's just easier to follow what's going on when everyone makes huge, slow telegraphed movements.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
most games would be better if they shamelessly stole from Dragon's Dogma, except using big 2 handed swords sucked in DD and owns hard in Souls

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

super fart shooter posted:

Are you talking about boss fights or what? Cause it's hard to believe you hit most normal enemies enough times or in rapid enough succession for bleed to work. At least that's how I remember it in previous games
Definitely in boss fights, there are only a couple who aren't vulnerable to bleed. PvP is another area. Otherwise yeah, a decently upgraded weapon is gonna kill in 2-4 hits depending but those aren't difficult regardless of what you're running (there are exceptions like red-eye guys that take a few hits and bleed works a treat on them too).

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

DeadlyHalibut posted:

I really recommend leveling str to 18 and using Shield of Want. Really good block values and stability and the sweet +souls buff.

e: can't be infused but simple infusion takes ages to get even one spell's worth restored.

I have 18/22 STR/DEX so i can use the chaos astora greatsword(18) and Dark Carthus Curved Greatsword (A/A INT/FTH scaling). I have the shield of want but wanted something more... "lighter" and more fashionable with my half-viking pyro. Also having simple keeps quickstep being useful (iframes) while if you have 0 FP it doesn't have iframes. I may be wrong so please someone correct me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Mystic Stylez posted:

Yes, and BB had those dudes who would get blinded by the torch (unless there are enemies who do so in DSIII) which was kinda cool, if simple

Also, I may be misremembering, but it felt like BB had way more dark areas that required a torch, but then again it matches the game's theme

there were no areas in bloodborne that required a torch

it did more damage I guess but it was still lovely and the stun effect that the ds3 torch has is better than extra damage anyway. the beasts shying away from fire was cool tho

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
i liked the ds2 long-arm guys in the cove

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Fire arrows, my droogs. Always carry a few around.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Not to mention that fire arrows work to light sconces as well.

Hundreds of hours in dark souls 2 and I never knew this

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Digirat posted:

Hundreds of hours in dark souls 2 and I never knew this

Same but I'm so sure I tried and it didn't work. :shrug:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've never heard anyone say anything good about Boulder Heave but I've been trying it out in the fire dungeon and it's serving me very well. It pancakes a lot of enemies and does good damage against anything that's fire resistant. I doubt it'll be useful in PvP unless someone keeps charging straight forward.

Carl Seitan posted:

I decided to make a new character with a dex build and only using weapons with bleed. And holy poo poo does bleed trivialize a lot of encounters.

If you see a female named "Ash to Mouth" running around, that's me.

That's a nice name, I think I'm going to go with "Forever Alonne" for my next dude

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The weirdest thing about the torch was that there was no pyromancy that just lit your torch. I mean cmon I would have used it five times as much if you could do that.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

How do you open up fire arrows for sale in the store? My Shrine Handmaiden has wood, feather and poison.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Million Ghosts posted:

most games would be better if they shamelessly stole from Dragon's Dogma, except using big 2 handed swords sucked in DD and owns hard in Souls

Warrior owned in DD!

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

How do you open up fire arrows for sale in the store? My Shrine Handmaiden has wood, feather and poison.

Greirat sells them. If he's dead, give his ashes to her and then she stocks it.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Mystic Stylez posted:

Greirat sells them. If he's dead, give his ashes to her and then she stocks it.

Ah, Greirat is still locked up somewhere on the High Wall for me. I'll see if he's still kicking, thanks :)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats the safest place for him really. Letting him out doesnt really have good consequences. For him. :haw:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Thats the safest place for him really. Letting him out doesnt really have good consequences. For him. :haw:

you can be his best bud and let him live a long life by just not sending him to lothric

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

there were no areas in bloodborne that required a torch

I meant required in a "there were lots of really dark places you could see better with the torch" way instead of "you actually need it" like in The Gutter or whatever. Or perhaps my TV sucks.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

You guys.... I just spent a good 10 minutes in an invasion chasing around a host that kept summoning more dudes. Wtf lol. I invaded a world that had just gotten invaded so there was the host plus a white and a blue phantom waiting for me down where the arena is. Then I kill off the blue and then they run down to the pontiff's balcony and start summoning more dudes. Another invader comes in to help out. We manage to get into a 2v2 fight and kill off the last white phantom he had. Then he starts running around the place, trying to lure both of us off the area with all the summon signs on it and I just stood by while the other invader chases him down. And then while he was trying to run away I would throw firebombs at him from above. I finally nailed him with one to kill him while he was being a pussy and it felt so good! He was the most annoying host ever. Just didnt want to die!

MarshyMcFly fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 16, 2016

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

MarshyMcFly posted:

You guys.... I just spent a good 10 minutes in an invasion chasing around a host that kept summoning more dudes. Wtf lol. I invaded a world that had just gotten invaded so there was the host plus a white and a blue phantom waiting for me down where the arena is. Then I kill off the blue ans then they run down to the pontiff's balcony and start summoning more dudes. Another invader comes in to help out. We manage to get into a 2v2 fight and kill off the last white phantom he had. Then he starts running around the place, trying to lure both of us off the area with all the summon signs on it and I just stood by while the other invader chases him down. And then while he was trying to run away I would throw firebombs at him from above. I finally nailed him with one to kill him while he was being a pussy and it felt so good! He was the most annoying host ever. Just didnt want to die!

Welcome to Dark Souls. Not the "prepare to die" part, the "At least half of your future invasions will be exactly like this one" part.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

MarshyMcFly posted:

You guys.... I just spent a good 10 minutes in an invasion chasing around a host that kept summoning more dudes. Wtf lol. I invaded a world that had just gotten invaded so there was the host plus a white and a blue phantom waiting for me down where the arena is. Then I kill off the blue ans then they run down to the pontiff's balcony and start summoning more dudes. Another invader comes in to help out. We manage to get into a 2v2 fight and kill off the last white phantom he had. Then he starts running around the place, trying to lure both of us off the area with all the summon signs on it and I just stood by while the other invader chases him down. And then while he was trying to run away I would throw firebombs at him from above. I finally nailed him with one to kill him while he was being a pussy and it felt so good! He was the most annoying host ever. Just didnt want to die!

Few days ago me and another aldrich faithful chased a host around in circles for maybe ten minutes until he finally fell off a cliff by accident. *jazzhands*

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Odobenidae posted:

Started a second playthrough and I'm trying some invading. Already encountered some good gimmicks, for example a bald and shirtless Bluecop named "Genie" that throws fire and uses a scimitar. I think I fell into some ganksquad's trap, though. There were three dudes all with endgame gear that I ran into. One was huge and had a fume sword, the second had smough's armor and some fuckoff crossbow that fired three lightning bolts, and the third had some giant chaos fire orb. I got destroyed, probably partly because I'm not going for a PvP build, and my sellsword twinblades aren't the greatest.

LOL these guys invited me into a steam group that told me that I was bad after they ganked me. That's the second time that's happened, the first time it was some smurfing guys on a CSGO casual server.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

megalodong posted:

Warrior owned in DD!

warrior is fun but it sucks cause it has no options.

the dual katanas are good now? onislayer does deserve to be more than a vanity move

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

you can be his best bud and let him live a long life by just not sending him to lothric

Yep, I only (spoiling just in case) send him out two times and for the second I really really make sure patches rescues him so I can buy catarina's armor for my buddy Siegward so I can get his sweet emotes and slab.

Pyro is by far the easiest char I've made for mid-game. While a bit underpowered at the start and having to rely on the raw rear end, it makes zones like past Pontiff trivial since I can just use a lovely staff and cast spook and hidden body to bypass most of the poo poo. Irithyll Dungeon was piss easy since you can run past most of the stuff and the drop to the toxic pond with arachnid bitches was just a breeze. Oh and I shamelessly used a +8 Dark Dark Sword (sorry, it sounds cooler like that :colbert:) against dancer and destroyed it.

I''m on Lothric Castle and my weapon lineup is quite great: Chaos Thrall hatchet for quickstepping behind knights, Chaos Astora Greatsword for pancaking stuff, Dark Darksword :haw: and Dark Carthus Curved Greatsword (seriously the best curved greatsword by far). Add a refined mace for all armor and a raw rear end. By endgame I'll upgrade the winged spear as it scales A/A on INT/FTH (or S if only INT or FTH) and maybe a lighting weapon to get all bases covered.

Distracted
Jun 9, 2010

Smol posted:

Does it reduce damage as well? I thought it only prevented getting staggered mid swing.

Yeah you get about a 20% reduction. Not much, but it pays off in some situations.
Damage reduction may vary depending on what you're using & could possibly be tied in with the weapons blocked damage stat when used as a pseudo-shield. I haven't done much testing to see if there's a difference, but the reduction is there.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
You can take Phantom Knightslayer Tsorig and get him to fight actual Knightslayer Tsorig in the Smouldering Lake. What kind of headfuckery is that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Rough Lobster posted:

You can take Phantom Knightslayer Tsorig and get him to fight actual Knightslayer Tsorig in the Smouldering Lake. What kind of headfuckery is that.

Well Tsorig is also a knight. He doesn't discriminate

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Guillermus posted:

Yep, I only (spoiling just in case) send him out two times and for the second I really really make sure patches rescues him so I can buy catarina's armor for my buddy Siegward so I can get his sweet emotes and slab.

if you give Siegward his armor first, then talk to him in the sewers in Irithyll, he'll rescue Greirat instead of patches.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Rough Lobster posted:

Just the idea of clearing Smouldering Lake, Demon Ruins and the last part until the dark phantom with the basilisks... God drat, at the other hand gently caress Phantom Knightslayer Tsorig, the only way to fight him is to have enough room to stagger him with a hammer, run away, stagger and run away. And if you are on catacombs, get him to the boulder, he gets up so slow that the ball will run over him again in seconds.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sorry doubleplost.

Guillermus fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 16, 2016

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
Deacons of the deep was the easiest boss I have encountered in a souls type game yet. Seriously, almost no tactics necessary, just hack your way to red eyes, and hack anything shooting magic at you. I am not really complaining, but you see this huge mob and you think it will actually be a fight.

I guess if you play using magic... :flaccid:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Space and time are distorted in DrangSmoldering Lake

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

unlawfulsoup posted:

Deacons of the deep was the easiest boss I have encountered in a souls type game yet. Seriously, almost no tactics necessary, just hack your way to red eyes, and hack anything shooting magic at you. I am not really complaining, but you see this huge mob and you think it will actually be a fight.

I guess if you play using magic... :flaccid:

They're pretty awful if you don't have wide swinging weapons as I understand it, rapiers and the like have issues getting to the target if they're not smart about it. Mainly I think they're an intentional joke, because you're meant to think you're coming up on Aldrich. That room contains his coffin and it is his cathedral.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Mystic Stylez posted:

I meant required in a "there were lots of really dark places you could see better with the torch" way instead of "you actually need it" like in The Gutter or whatever. Or perhaps my TV sucks.

Chalice layers or maybe individual rooms also have a chance of having all the lights turned off, in which case you really do need the torch because the hand lantern is worthless for locking on to anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

super fart shooter posted:

Are you talking about boss fights or what? Cause it's hard to believe you hit most normal enemies enough times or in rapid enough succession for bleed to work. At least that's how I remember it in previous games

Whaaaaat? I don't think I ever played a Bleed build in Demon's or DS2, but it was great in DS1 and AMAZING in DS3. Uchi + Carthous Rouge + >25 Luck = some minor enemies Bleed on the FIRST hit, and EVERYTHING which can bleed definitely does so by 3 hits, most in 2. I clowned NG++ Dancer so hard with Bleed that she never even did the animations for her later phases.