Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

This probably got lost in stupid loving gun chat, but the article in question is someone screaming about how the Syrian resistance in 2012 included Al-Qaeda in Iraq members and therefore Obama and Clinton armed the Syrian rebellion knowing full well that there were radical Islamists that would get weapons. Which, IIRC, was.publicly known and part of the debate.

This is the "evidence" Trump is doubling down with.

I'm starting to think he'll underperform Dukakis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Xae posted:

Laffo at calling those "pistols".

If I'm getting the scale right the first one is firing either 5.56 or .308s. Both of which are rifle rounds.

I would love to see the mental gymnastics required to categorize a firearm with a rifled barrel, firing rifle rounds and a stock as a pistol.

Some handguns fire bottlenecked rounds, FN Five Seven for example. Anything that isn't smoothbore has a rifled barrel; that included most modern pistols. And none of those are legally considered stocks, which is what is at issue here, wbich, appearances aside, makes those pistols in the eyes of the law. It's stupid, but laws frequently are.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
wow the gun nut people really can't help themselves whenever guns and bulletshell limits for clips get brought up in here

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Planned Parenthood is doing a small, but good, thing.

EDIT: More of a QUILTBAG thread thing though, I guess.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jun 15, 2016

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Realtalk the most frustrating thing about gun crazies is that they're right. The 2nd amendment pretty explicitly guarantees every citizen the right to their own mass-murder-suicide. I think a serious proposal to repeal and possibly replace the 2nd amendment would get a lot of public support, but not enough. Maybe up to 50% of the popular vote if the campaign was well managed. But that's still not enough. So the murders continue.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ColdPie posted:

Realtalk the most frustrating thing about gun crazies is that they're right. The 2nd amendment pretty explicitly guarantees every citizen the right to their own mass-murder-suicide. I think a serious proposal to repeal and possibly replace the 2nd amendment would get a lot of public support, but not enough. Maybe up to 50% of the popular vote if the campaign was well managed. But that's still not enough. So the murders continue.

Except that's only one particular interpretation of the second amendment and one that's only recently gained ground in the courts.

It's obvious the founders never intended to allow all people living in America to own or even access a gun.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

It's obvious the founders never intended to allow all people living in America to own or even access a gun.

I believe all guns should be illegal and I really can't see how you can end up with that reading.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well Regulated Militia

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Trabisnikof posted:

Except that's only one particular interpretation of the second amendment and one that's only recently gained ground in the courts.

Some folks could get 3/5ths of a gun.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

"Hmm, well, every adult male in our new country has a rifle, so let's write something into the Bill of Rights here that will put a stop to that." Good thinking.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
loving hell, they're cannibalizing themselves:

quote:

The suspicion of protesters reached a point at which Trump supporters were informing on each other for not being “real” supporters. One woman pointed security toward a couple sitting quietly in their seats. “Them,” she mouthed.

The couple seemed baffled and denied to a security agent that they were anything but genuine Trump admirers. He waved them toward the exit and said, “Let’s go.”

Afterward the informer, who declined to give her name, grinned as onlookers congratulated her. “I heard one of them say ‘Never Trump’,” she said. “And one held up three fingers, like this.”

She held up her hand in a Boy Scout salute.

What did the three fingers signify?

“I have no idea,” she said.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

:ssh: U. S. Grant is already on paper money.

Also,

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

That's actually pretty normal and expected for these kinds of movements. See the circular firing squad effect on Freep, etc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ColdPie posted:

What's the political party for "I think its really stupid that we base all our laws and our entire system off of stuff a bunch of guys came up with 240 years ago and pretend nothing has substantially changed and they didn't get anything wrong like not letting anyone who wasn't white, male, and a land owner have any rights"?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

STAC Goat posted:

What's the political party for "I think its really stupid that we base all our laws and our entire system off of stuff a bunch of guys came up with 240 years ago and pretend nothing has substantially changed and they didn't get anything wrong like not letting anyone who wasn't white, male, and a land owner have any rights"?

Canadian.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

That has substantially changed, though.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

quote:

“This place is packed,” he said, shielding his eyes against stage lights. “We have people outside who couldn’t get in. Does anybody want to give up their seat?”

Apparently Trump could not see the hundreds of empty seats in the theater’s second level.
:laugh:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Maoist Pussy posted:

That has substantially changed, though.

HA!

No it hasn't.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Ah, good, this behavior is not extremely frightening at all.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

MariusLecter posted:

Not if you don't think "Obama is a secret Muslim sabotaging America from the inside" is misinformation. :eng101:

That's part of why I support him, though?

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

STAC Goat posted:

Like, literally all three of the things you mentioned have changed.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well Regulated Militia

Ha! I love how the "another way you can read this" is an incompete and completely different sentance.

Reinterprate this complete thought: "the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT (a loaded legal term) be infringed. Thats the setup, the windup before the pitch, the sentence where they justify what they are about to say, the real meat of the amendment. The. Right. Of. The. People. Shall. Not. Be. Infringed.

The gun nuts are right, and gun control never passes because you are wrong and just want to do something!!!

MattD1zzl3 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jun 16, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

wrong thread

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Bolt action rifles would i guess be great for halting a patrol on a rural road without commiting much manpower (gotta run before the artillery comes in! :ohdear:), but for building to building you absolutely need a "Semi automatic with a box magazine". The army already outguns us by so much, and you want to make it worse!?

PS i hear your insults coming, i of course would be killed instantly or rounded up and killed first. I'm under no macho fantasy. And as you said big chunks of the army defecting or fighting each-other are the only way this plan flies. Luckily thats usually how civil wars go. And we havent even gotten into foreign invasions!

How would that in work in America? I get that one area of one county might collapse, but I don't see how that would accomplish anything besides wrecking their own economy and sparking a small refugee crises in neighboring areas.

Like, say your militia can take over a neighborhood, how do they travel fifty or sixty miles to take over even a small city with a metropolitan area containing millions and a police force numbering in the tens of thousands? Why would career police officers give up high paying jobs, pensions and benefits to die for crazy power fantasy? Why would career soldiers give up their pensions and benefits to do it?

We've seen over and over how these militia stand offs end. It doesn't matter how heavily armed they are; the true believers suicide by cop and everyone else gets arrested.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

STAC Goat posted:

You mean like a party that believes in just selectively ignoring laws they find inconvenient at the moment rather than following well-established, often-used rules for changing laws considered to be mistaken or obsolete? We've got those, but they generally have awful views especially if you're not in their ingroup.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Lemming posted:

Ah, good, this behavior is not extremely frightening at all.

It's exactly the kind of behavior that Trump is calling for in muslim communities; people should inform on their neighbors.

It's not a ridiculous thing to say that everyone has a responsibility to report criminal activity but, it degenerates into neighbors imagining conspiracies and reporting based on speculation alone or just outright making poo poo up to screw people you don't like.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

radical meme posted:

It's exactly the kind of behavior that Trump is calling for in muslim communities; people should inform on their neighbors.

It's not a ridiculous thing to say that everyone has a responsibility to report criminal activity but, it degenerates into neighbors imagining conspiracies and reporting based on speculation alone or just outright making poo poo up to screw people you don't like.

Yeah, calling people Trumpenstaffel is less and less funny

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is Maoist Pussy an honest to god Trump fan or some accelerationist looking forward to the revolution that brings down the nation?

The former, I think. They're an unironic transphobe who regularly says genuinely awful things about transgender people. I'm upset to even see them here posting again. hoping the permaban comes swiftly.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Maoist Pussy posted:

"Hmm, well, every adult male in our new country has a rifle, so let's write something into the Bill of Rights here that will put a stop to that." Good thinking.

Lol good job there white washing history. But you're wrong if you think the founding fathers wanted "every adult male" to be allowed to own or use a gun.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Maoist Pussy posted:

Pistols and pistol rounds are not designed to be fired from the shoulder, though.

But even they can be turned into rifles.

For example:

That is an example of what is probably one of the most common "SBR" out there next to the AR platform. A glock with a $50 stock you can get from amazon.

Literally. Prime shipping too.

The SBR designation honestly has almost more to do with adding stocks to existing handguns than it does regulating cut down or shortened rifles. They're easier to conceal, and if you step into the realm of SMGs, otherwise known as pistol caliber carbines/rifles, you have very high rates of fire with very low recoil rounds.

Xae posted:

Laffo at calling those "pistols".

If I'm getting the scale right the first one is firing either 5.56 or .308s. Both of which are rifle rounds.

I would love to see the mental gymnastics required to categorize a firearm with a rifled barrel, firing rifle rounds and a stock as a pistol.

You're not wrong. But welcome to the world of Bureaucracies and Regulations. When you start introducing specifics, you're creating loop holes. Somewhere down the line someone at the ATF or some other agency had to sit down and list what exactly defined a "pistol", "rifle", "shotgun", and "handgun" were. Those definitions produce things like that 5.56 NATO, 20 in long pistol.

For even more fun take a look at this video about a "firearm" someone made that exists exclusively in the NFA and ATF's blind spots:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP5KbWOe64g

Also BTW, I'm not a gun nut and am for heavily increased regulation and even outright repealing or modifying the 2A. I just know this stuff because I have a lot of family very into guns, and from looking this stuff up myself after so many gun chats.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Ha! I love how the "another way you can read this" is an incompete and completely different sentance.

Reinterprate this complete thought: "the right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT (a loaded legal term) be infringed. Thats the setup, the windup before the pitch, the sentence where they justify what they are about to say, the real meat of the amendment. The. Right. Of. The. People. Shall. Not. Be. Infringed.

The gun nuts are right, and gun control never passes because you are wrong and just want to do something!!!

Your complete thought is missing like half of the text please try again

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

Lol good job there white washing history. But you're wrong if you think the founding fathers wanted "every adult male" to be allowed to own or use a gun.

That portion of history was already white-washed. I cannot credit my contributions.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Spatula City posted:

The former, I think. They're an unironic transphobe who regularly says genuinely awful things about transgender people. I'm upset to even see them here posting again. hoping the permaban comes swiftly.

Personally I hope they have an epiphany that changes their positions, for example coming out to themselves, and they change. Worked for me :shrug:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Spatula City posted:

Same, but for all the loving gunchat people who won't shut up as well.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Literally The Worst posted:

He removed the non-sequitur that some idiot founding father accidentally scribbled down halfway through the amendment without thinking.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Evil Fluffy posted:

Same, but for all the loving gunchat people who won't shut up as well.

I mean, this has been one of our most civil gunchats ever. Usually it's just Lejackal coming in and being a twat.

But I am out of "weird poo poo that the gun manufacturers use to get around the ATF to sell restricted things freely". So I'm really done at least.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

I didn't really think about it, but Trump pulled the credentials of the Washington Post for putting 2 and 2 together and "insinuating" to something he just doubled down on in less convoluted terms.

:psyduck:

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Do people seriously not get the supply line and intelligence differences between the US military waging a war against insurgents in the US itself vs the US military waging a war against native insurgents in a foreign country literally about half way across the world?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

It's the part of the sentence that actually has instructive content and a makes an actionable declaration as "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state," is very much not a complete thought and does not suggest that it should limit or modify what follows, it's a preface.

To make a totally ridiculous example- let's say we're in a frat, and our frat's founding document says "Proper keggers being a necessary component of the college experience, the right of our all of brothers to possess and consume alcohol should not be infringed." To me that seems like a pretty clear indication that we can't pass restrictions on alcohol consumption for our members without amending the founding document through whatever procedure we have for that. You apparently believe that the explanatory preface means that we're free to pass bylaws restrict alcohol possession and consumption among our members exclusively to "proper keggers," and we can choose to define what "proper" and "kegger" mean such that the only time that qualifies are university approved social events, serving university approved alcohol, and attended exclusively by frat members who are either graduate students or otherwise employed by the university. That interpretation is not a reasonable one.

We might conclude through our fraternity's ridiculously long common law history that we can place some restrictions on alcohol consumption so we don't have people butt chugging vodka in the middle of the lawn or whatever, but we should be putting far more weight on the declaration in the second half of that sentence than on using a tortured reading of the first to just do whatever we want, even if the University Administration is currently breathing down our necks because one of our brothers just threw up outside the Dean's office.

LGD fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
That's actually super loving reasonable.

• Locked thread