Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Can someone critique a build? I literally havent made a build at all in this game before since i'm semi-new so feel free to call me retarded:

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...WP53frr_gr-j_7I

I kind of editited a Mathil's windripper inquisitor build to take it through phys nodes instead to take advantage of Doomfletch Prism's kinda crazy 310 extra elemental from phys. Use inquisitor's elemental damage perks to take it even further.

Edit: Updated to use the official tree, poebuilder looks out of date or something.

queeb fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Lacerate slayer:
-Should I take endurance charge, frenzy charge (for blood rage) or point from merciless bandits?
-What should my gem setup be? Currently on Lacerate-melee phys-faster attacks-fortify-multistrike but I don't like the animation lock from multistrike
-Is there a particular reason to use swords over axes if you take Resolute Technique?

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Reach of the Council is really good you guys.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

StashAugustine posted:

Lacerate slayer:
-Should I take endurance charge, frenzy charge (for blood rage) or point from merciless bandits?
-What should my gem setup be? Currently on Lacerate-melee phys-faster attacks-fortify-multistrike but I don't like the animation lock from multistrike
-Is there a particular reason to use swords over axes if you take Resolute Technique?

Forget lacerate and play something better like cyclone or something.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Rat can you give the link to your ladder tracker script? It looks different from the exiletools one.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

queeb posted:

Can someone critique a build? I literally havent made a build at all in this game before since i'm semi-new so feel free to call me retarded:

https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...WP53frr_gr-j_7I

I kind of editited a Mathil's windripper inquisitor build to take it through phys nodes instead to take advantage of Doomfletch Prism's kinda crazy 310 extra elemental from phys. Use inquisitor's elemental damage perks to take it even further.

Edit: Updated to use the official tree, poebuilder looks out of date or something.

Aren't Finesse and Aspect of the Lynx really good nodes for you? Also my instinct is to skip the life leech nodes and just use a gem, once you get a 6 link. I really dislike pathing to the Survivalist nodes, same for Thick Skin.

So basically something like this: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...d3-Cv6P_sj_3g==

Pollyzoid
Nov 2, 2010

GRUUAGH you say?
gently caress. I couldn't afford Voidheart at 30c before I had to leave for a few days, and now they're all 1ex+. I guess I'm not getting it for a while.

Divination card for Varunastra is good news though, since Varu EQ is my favourite build so far.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
My loving luck.

First i got a belly of the beast from the prophecy, bought a 5-link prophecy for 30c and wanted to color it rrbbb for my discharger. Turned out bbbbg after 3x "at least 2 blues", so i sold it for an ex.

Yesterday i bought a belly with good rolls for 3c, 5-link prophecy for 27 and wanted to color it ggggb for my obliterate-wander, turns out bbbbg after 7 chromes.
Now i cant buy another one cause im out of chaos, but i cant relly paint over a 4b belly, so ive put it up for an ex and hope someone buys it soon so i can get a 6s5l carcass jack.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
or put it up for less? I mean liquidity is a price driver...

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The Real Foogla posted:

or put it up for less? I mean liquidity is a price driver...

Then i cant afford the carcass jack.
I mean the one i sold for an ex had worse rolls, so i guess it will sell sooner or later.

Also carcass is lvl 62, i just hit 56 last night, so its not standstill until sale.
5 Link would be nice though, 4link KB feels weak.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

For obliterate wander, just buy a 5l assassin's garb for 1c and transmute/alch it until you get a good life roll and ideally a resistance roll. then you can regal and master craft a second resist roll and you're good through like tier 10 maps

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

dis astranagant posted:

Forget lacerate and play something better like cyclone or something.

Lacerate's fine, you just have to look at it as either a Wings of Entropy skill or an alternative to Reave. It's at least way better than Cleave in basically every way. If you're using a 2H weapon you'll probably just want to use an Axe or Mace for Earthquake. Also I hate Cyclone anyways. you have to go back over packs with scattered mobs like 5-6 times to Cyclone down every individual straggler.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

The Real Foogla posted:

Aren't Finesse and Aspect of the Lynx really good nodes for you? Also my instinct is to skip the life leech nodes and just use a gem, once you get a 6 link. I really dislike pathing to the Survivalist nodes, same for Thick Skin.

So basically something like this: https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscr...d3-Cv6P_sj_3g==

A lot of math and detailed skill tree breakdown follows. I think this will be a very helpful way to think about skill trees for ANY build, so hopefully everyone can get something out of the post.

I don't like either of these trees. Use this as a base instead. For evaluating how efficient points are: assume that your damage is roughly proportional to attack speed * crit chance * crit multi * damage. A fully fleshed out tree -with gear/charge bonuses included- will have approximately 200 attack speed (100% increased + 100% base), 400 damage (300% increased + 100% base), 800 crit (700% increased + 100% base), and 400 crit multi (250% increased + 150% base). Using these ratios it's easy to calculate what points are worth how much based on how much travel you need to get to them. Since you're using Doomfletch, phys damage is worth the same as ele damage, so you don't have to worry about that distinction.

Heavy Draw/Deadly Draw: Both are worth significantly more than the 14 ele damage at templar start. Heavy Draw is 79 phys damage 10% accuracy for 5 points. If you could take 5 copies of that 14 ele damage node you'd get 70 damage. Deadly Draw once you get Heavy Draw is worth 42 damage/21 attack speed. All together, you spend 9 points on 121 damage/21 attack speed, and valuing attack speed at 1 aspd = 2 damage (which is approximately true), you get 18.1 damage per point spent. If you only get Deadly Draw, that's 5 points for 52 damage/21 attack speed, or 18.8 damage/point. Based on that, you should take Deadly Draw or both, but not anything worth less than 18 damage/point without taking both. And this is an easy threshold to use when evaluating how worthwhile other nodes are.

Fury Bolts: Both of your trees get 2 nodes that only give 10% damage per point. Those are very easy cuts. It's hard to say exactly how much 20% acc is worth, but I think it's safe to say 2 points for 30 damage/20% accuracy easily meets the criterion for 18% damage/point.

Lethality: If you're going crit bows you need this node. It's the best source of crit/crit multi on the tree for the build, and crit multi is about as valuable as damage as a stat, crit chance is about 2 crit chance:1 damage. 102 crit chance, 64 multi, 16 damage for 5 points is extremely efficient. And remember, part of the reason crit multi isn't worth more than damage and crit chance isn't worth close to 1.5:1 is BECAUSE you should get this cluster which gives so much of the stats.

Frenzy charges: Each Frenzy charge gives 4% more damage and 4% attack speed. 4% more of 400% base damage is 16% damage, so this means you get ~16 damage/4 speed for each charge. If you're spending 2 points to get a Frenzy charge, they give 12 points of damage per point spent. This is bad, and people always convince themselves to get inefficient Frenzy charges because "more multipliers are always the most efficient." This is extremely apparent if you ever make a right side tree build, get Frenzy charges on the tree while skipping jewels because you can't afford them, then respec 3 Frenzy charges for 3 jewel sockets with 3 damage mods on them. Your damage will go way up, because 2 point Frenzy charges are not actually generally efficient.

Elementalist/Catalyse: If you need the resists this is okay, since 12% all res is helpful to make your gearing easier. Once you don't need the resists, the nodes I dropped become 3 points for 46% ele damage (spend 2 str points to avoid them), which means they don't meet the threshold for damage nodes.

Leech nodes: This will depend entirely on how well you handle reflect. You probably will need the Life Leech gem regardless, and at 4% leech and 75% resists you can handle up to 16% ele reflect safely. That said, it's going to be bad no matter what because you always leech first and then take reflect, so if you are hitting yourself for 500 per crit on a 16% reflect map, you won't die but you will always be missing 500 health when you finish off a pack. People just generally avoid reflect maps now for this reason.

Piercing Shots: 100% Pierce is just the way to play bows right now. If you're using 100% Pierce Drillneck, this is mandatory even if you completely ignore the point efficiency. If not, then go ahead and skip this of course. Like, you can drop Pierce and use Lightning Arrow/Ice Shot/Split Arrow with Chain, or just use Tornado Shot with nothing special, but I personally think Pierce is just the best option for all of those skills.

Life: The tree I linked is 172% max life. It's already a little low for me, but if you really think you have no issue with 150% life you can drop a 20% cluster for something else.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 16, 2016

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Ultima66 posted:

Since you're using Doomfletch, phys damage is worth the same as ele damage, so you don't have to worry about that distinction.

Wouldn't phys damage be worth slightly more? It ends up increasing all 4 damage sources (phys + all 3 elements) instead of 3/4ths of the damage (all 3 elements)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ultima66 posted:

Lacerate's fine, you just have to look at it as either a Wings of Entropy skill or an alternative to Reave. It's at least way better than Cleave in basically every way. If you're using a 2H weapon you'll probably just want to use an Axe or Mace for Earthquake. Also I hate Cyclone anyways. you have to go back over packs with scattered mobs like 5-6 times to Cyclone down every individual straggler.

What was Reave like before? I was using a build posted in the thread recently, the Wings of Entropy build looks interesting but idk if it's worth it to switch with what I have now

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmAuQl86YnI map_you_dont_run_on_hc.avi

panda clue
May 23, 2014

might have also helped if he was using real gear instead of low-level poo poo with an 8% experience boost on it.

J
Jun 10, 2001

He even had an initial scare with the porcupines at first to take note of the damage mods on the map but just kept zooming ahead.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Magus42 posted:

Wouldn't phys damage be worth slightly more? It ends up increasing all 4 damage sources (phys + all 3 elements) instead of 3/4ths of the damage (all 3 elements)

Actually it occurs to me that this is only true if you're only stacking flat +phys. It's probably the way to go with Doomfletch, but if you're doing some hybrid of stacking flat +phys and also elemental damage through Wrath/Added Lightning Damage, then +phys damage doesn't boost your damage the same amount, in which case you would want to use a generally different tree.

But yes, phys is technically slightly more than ele. It doesn't matter that much because you're going to use WED as a support and Lightning Arrow/Ice Shot/Blast Rain convert part of that to ele, so your ele damage will dwarf your phys damage regardless.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Mince Pieface posted:

For obliterate wander, just buy a 5l assassin's garb for 1c and transmute/alch it until you get a good life roll and ideally a resistance roll. then you can regal and master craft a second resist roll and you're good through like tier 10 maps

This woul dhave been plan B, but im sporting a 6s5l carcass now.
Did normal/cruel lab back to back and now the build starts to shine.
Up to this point it was atrocious to go through basic content.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I found my clear speed ridiculously high even with a garbage 5L chest, a carcass jack is not necessary at all.

Hell, I might sell the one I'm using right now, and use it to fund my poisonquaker.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

I found my clear speed ridiculously high even with a garbage 5L chest, a carcass jack is not necessary at all.

Hell, I might sell the one I'm using right now, and use it to fund my poisonquaker.

I guess that was after cruel ascendance though?
How was levelling for you, and what did you use?

I went with the guide that used firestorm, but after normal difficulty it was turning more awful every pack since the build doesnt take any spell or elemental damage.
I tried going KB with a twyzel sooner, with a 4link at that time and the clear was even worse which i wouldnt have believed possible.
Even when i switched to dual obliteration at 56 (no scendancy then) it was "meh" at best.
At 62 i got the 5l carcass and decided there was finally enough dps to do labs and now its taking off at last.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
See I was right about Finesse :colbert:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Yolomon Wayne posted:

I guess that was after cruel ascendance though?
How was levelling for you, and what did you use?

I went with the guide that used firestorm, but after normal difficulty it was turning more awful every pack since the build doesnt take any spell or elemental damage.
I tried going KB with a twyzel sooner, with a 4link at that time and the clear was even worse which i wouldnt have believed possible.
Even when i switched to dual obliteration at 56 (no scendancy then) it was "meh" at best.
At 62 i got the 5l carcass and decided there was finally enough dps to do labs and now its taking off at last.

Yeah, I did the ascendancies no problem with just regular firestorm. But I specced my tree for some fire damage, and respecced out when I switched to Obliteration at 62 as well.

Merc lab was an immense pita though, single target against Izaro is awful with obliteration.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Phobophilia posted:

Yeah, I did the ascendancies no problem with just regular firestorm. But I specced my tree for some fire damage, and respecced out when I switched to Obliteration at 62 as well.

Merc lab was an immense pita though, single target against Izaro is awful with obliteration.

Along the way i was toying with the idea of speccing temporarily into elemntal, in hindsight it would have been a good idea it seems.

For single target im using the old frostwall with fast casting and spell echo, works halfway ok.
Im not going to copy the guide step for step though, im not going to supplement this with a wither totem and im really really unsure about using blood rage with basically less than 4% life reg... still took the frenzy charge in act 2 though, just in case ill switch to blood dance or something. 1 point more or less shouldnt make/break the build.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Well, there goes another 40 bucks or so

Yolomon Wayne fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Jun 17, 2016

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

Grimey Drawer
And just because im bored shitless, heres a fat guy facetanking uber izaro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKwyDksEjEQ

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Now thats a proper fatman build. I approve. A+ beard too. I'm a little triggered by the roars over rumis, but I'll let it slide this one time.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Yolomon Wayne posted:

pretty sure these would look awesome with Tiger Hooks skinned with Infernal Weapon MTX

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I'm pretty sure it shouldn't take me 20+ hours to get someone to 60?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

I'm pretty sure it shouldn't take me 20+ hours to get someone to 60?

No it shouldn't.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Asian armor templar finally has pants!

devoir
Nov 16, 2007

Yolomon Wayne posted:

Some of those angles make them look like the Power Rangers from the new movie.

It is an armour set ripe for recolours.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
THe dragon spear owns it has a great hitsound

CLANG CLANG CLANG

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Are cosmetics one use only?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Zotix posted:

well one at he same time, they don't get consumed

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Zotix posted:

Only Skin Transfers and some "fireworks-like" effects are single use, pretty much everything else can be re-used, albeit only applied to one thing at a time.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
periodically I'll accidentally open my mtx tab in town

at that point I usually fire off a northern lights effect out of spite

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Why are Heretic's Veils so expensive when most caster uniques are, like, 1c?

Are they just that popular? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Being able to run up to 4 simultaneous curse auras (assuming you can bring the mana reservation down enough) is pretty loving good.

• Locked thread