Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Casimir Radon posted:

Found out who got the DUI. How much worse did he make it for himself by refusing a breathalyzer?

In the real world or fantasy Air Force integrity first world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Updawgs
Oct 14, 2012

Gonna sine yo pitty
on da runny kine

Ragaman posted:

Pick a job based on something that interests you/will benefit you when you get out. Don't do it based on the enlistment bonus because you are just going to blow it on down payment for a Mustang or something stupidjesusfuck

For sure; my line of reasoning was simply: if there's an enlistment bonus, chances are that AFSC is more in demand = easier to secure AFSC.

xaarman posted:

Can you remember 4-6 years ago? That's a long time, pick a job based on what interests you and what gives you skills that are transferable to the outside world. Good luck!

Yep, 3d definitely interests me far more than anything else, and seems to translate well into the civilian world.

As it stands, if I had to round up 5 jobs, my current list would be:

3d1x2 Cyber Transport Systems
3d0x2 Cyber Systems Operations
9S100 Technical Applications
1n1x1A/B Imagery/Targeting Analysis
1N4 Network Intelligence Analysis

Rather than the recruiter, it seems the 'Job Detailer' at MEPS holds the power in offering your AFSC. If I qualify for a certain job but it's not there (due to timing or whatever), that's when I can try to hold off and stay in DEP until it's available, correct?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Correct. Don't sign a loving thing until it includes the AFSC you want. The recruiter or MEPS people may very well be shady assholes (many are! this poo poo isn't made up) and try to pressure you and tell you that you have to sign, or that you can get it changed later. These are not accurate assessments of reality. At best they're partial-truths. Get it on paper first, or expect to spend your career watching third-country nationals cooking omelettes and making sure aircrew don't take too many cold cuts before their flights in hot and sandy undisclosed locations. Because you won't get to change the paperwork later. Or you will but your options will be that or becoming a cop.

Self-assessment time: Are you a smart person? Because you're listing smart AFSCs. xaarman is right, there's a bonus because it either sucks so bad they can't get or keep people, or because the training is so difficult that the "average" recruit flunks out. FYI when that happens you get shuffled off into some other career field, usually one that sucks. For officers, Personnel used to be the dumping ground for people who hosed up flight training. Most of them got tossed a couple of years later when that career field was gutted. You'll end up in Services or a cop, or something else awful.

Welcome to an organization that has so soured itself that loving FIGHTER PILOTS are running for the doors by the hundreds instead of taking a re-sign bonus of $225,000.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

Found out who got the DUI. How much worse did he make it for himself by refusing a breathalyzer?

If it's on base it just delays the process by an hour or so, until they can wake up the first O-6 to order a blood test.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rythe posted:

If it's on base it just delays the process by an hour or so, until they can wake up the first O-6 to order a blood test.
It was off base. Turns out he got another one in 2007.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Godholio posted:

Self-assessment time: Are you a smart person? Because you're listing smart AFSCs. xaarman is right, there's a bonus because it either sucks so bad they can't get or keep people, or because the training is so difficult that the "average" recruit flunks out. FYI when that happens you get shuffled off into some other career field, usually one that sucks. For officers, Personnel used to be the dumping ground for people who hosed up flight training. Most of them got tossed a couple of years later when that career field was gutted. You'll end up in Services or a cop, or something else awful.

As a former 1N4, there's a reason it has a 5x re-enlistment bonus right now. It's a great job, but all of your NCO/SCNO leadership will be clueless medical/security forces cross-trainees who will make your life suck.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

It was off base. Turns out he got another one in 2007.

I knew a guy who got his third active-duty DUI as a captain. He retired a Lt Col.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
All of the afscs you listed have people that crosstrained to 1B4 so that's possible progression if it interests you.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Whatever you do, whichever AFSC you pick, get it in writing, and do not accept an Open General. Because you will be hosed.

Updawgs
Oct 14, 2012

Gonna sine yo pitty
on da runny kine

xsf421 posted:

As a former 1N4, there's a reason it has a 5x re-enlistment bonus right now. It's a great job, but all of your NCO/SCNO leadership will be clueless medical/security forces cross-trainees who will make your life suck.

Yea, 1N4 is at the bottom of my desired list, based on what I'm hearing. If I understand correctly, it has more to do with "intelligence networks" rather than "computer networks".

Godholio posted:

Correct. Don't sign a loving thing until it includes the AFSC you want

The only thing I'm worried might happen is getting kicked out of DEP for choosing to wait for an AFSC :(

Shalhavet posted:

All of the afscs you listed have people that crosstrained to 1B4 so that's possible progression if it interests you.

Yep, that's the long term goal. If I end up entering as a 3d, I want to hustle and crank out the higher certs asap.

CommieGIR posted:

Whatever you do, whichever AFSC you pick, get it in writing, and do not accept an Open General. Because you will be hosed.

Yea, seems to be the general consensus here. Does anyone know if it's the recruiter or the 'Job Detailer' at MEPS who requires you to list an open category, along with 5-15 jobs? If I'm absolutely required to put down an open category, I guess Open Electrical would make the most sense, as it contains a couple of the AFSCs I'm looking for.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Updawgs posted:

The only thing I'm worried might happen is getting kicked out of DEP for choosing to wait for an AFSC :(

Don't worry about this. I'm serious. Is there some kind of advanced rank or something these days? Because even if you lose out on that, we're talking about a few months before you catch up anyway.

YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT REQUIRED TO LIST AN OPEN ANYTHING. Jesus Christ. THIS is what we're talking about. Don't loving fall for this garbage.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 15, 2016

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Godholio posted:

I knew a guy who got his third active-duty DUI as a captain. He retired a Lt Col.

Proof positive that officers are immune to all accountability and are a privileged class.

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?

Updawgs posted:

For sure; my line of reasoning was simply: if there's an enlistment bonus, chances are that AFSC is more in demand = easier to secure AFSC.

Yep, 3d definitely interests me far more than anything else, and seems to translate well into the civilian world.

As it stands, if I had to round up 5 jobs, my current list would be:

3d1x2 Cyber Transport Systems
3d0x2 Cyber Systems Operations
9S100 Technical Applications
1n1x1A/B Imagery/Targeting Analysis
1N4 Network Intelligence Analysis

Rather than the recruiter, it seems the 'Job Detailer' at MEPS holds the power in offering your AFSC. If I qualify for a certain job but it's not there (due to timing or whatever), that's when I can try to hold off and stay in DEP until it's available, correct?

If you go 9S be sure to post about it on the somethingawful.com internet comedy forums in detail.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Godholio posted:

Zipper?

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope

Updawgs posted:

Yea, 1N4 is at the bottom of my desired list, based on what I'm hearing. If I understand correctly, it has more to do with "intelligence networks" rather than "computer networks".
Still intel, still full of wierdos.

Updawgs posted:

Covered already, don't be worried. Until you sign the contract, you have all the power. Then your rear end is Uncle Sam's, but whatever.

Updawgs posted:

Yep, that's the long term goal. If I end up entering as a 3d, I want to hustle and crank out the higher certs asap.
3D0X2 gets Security+ in tech school. I never got any advanced certs as part of my training but that's because I got absolutely hosed with my first assignment.
3D1X2 gets Network+ iirc. You'd probably wind up with a CCNA at some point.
1B4X1 will wind up with GCIH and GCFA.

Updawgs posted:

Yea, seems to be the general consensus here. Does anyone know if it's the recruiter or the 'Job Detailer' at MEPS who requires you to list an open category, along with 5-15 jobs? If I'm absolutely required to put down an open category, I guess Open Electrical would make the most sense, as it contains a couple of the AFSCs I'm looking for.
DO NOT LIST OPEN ANYTHING.
<150+ lines removed>

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Shalhavet posted:

<150+ lines removed>

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And a patch!

He got forced into retirement once someone with rank AND balls found out. It was kind of buried by the old guard patch wearers' union at the time of the last one, but a bunch of real junior Lts knew about it. I think most of us knew he had ONE, finding out three was pretty :stare:

Edit: This was also just prior to AFPC running rampant through the officer corps looking for excuses to cut people. Unless you have powerful (multiple stars) friends, you're at least as hosed as the average enlisted for a fuckup. Even being in an undermanned career field isn't any kind of protection anymore.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jun 15, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

And a patch!

He got forced into retirement once someone with rank AND balls found out. It was kind of buried by the old guard patch wearers' union at the time of the last one, but a bunch of real junior Lts knew about it. I think most of us knew he had ONE, finding out three was pretty :stare:

Edit: This was also just prior to AFPC running rampant through the officer corps looking for excuses to cut people. Unless you have powerful (multiple stars) friends, you're at least as hosed as the average enlisted for a fuckup. Even being in an undermanned career field isn't any kind of protection anymore.

I think the biggest shock was the weekend one of the GAC guys was missing and we found out later that day he'd murdered his pregnant wife. What a guard weekend.

Cops came and interviews a bunch of people.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Shalhavet posted:

3D0X2 gets Security+ in tech school. I never got any advanced certs as part of my training but that's because I got absolutely hosed with my first assignment.
3D1X2 gets Network+ iirc. You'd probably wind up with a CCNA at some point.
1B4X1 will wind up with GCIH and GCFA.

3D1X2 requires Security+ (I think they do it in tech school now) and you'll have opportunities to get into CCNA as well. Part of it depends on what base/systems you wind up working on, 3D1X2 is sorta jack of all trades for comm behind the scenes so you'll get a lot more training at your base than in tech school. I've worked on telephone systems, a little bit of servers, firewalls, routers, switches, virtualization, and wifi. Other folks in the field I know have done satellite comm and intrusion detection systems, so you'll have an opportunity to get around.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

dscruffy1 posted:

3D1X2 requires Security+ (I think they do it in tech school now) and you'll have opportunities to get into CCNA as well. Part of it depends on what base/systems you wind up working on, 3D1X2 is sorta jack of all trades for comm behind the scenes so you'll get a lot more training at your base than in tech school. I've worked on telephone systems, a little bit of servers, firewalls, routers, switches, virtualization, and wifi. Other folks in the field I know have done satellite comm and intrusion detection systems, so you'll have an opportunity to get around.

Fix the networks, please. Its so loving slow.

Premier Cyberspace power my rear end

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 15, 2016

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Our guy is just a 38 year old SSgt, no idea how long he's been with us. I'm just wondering if the refused test means they'll up and boot him out the door rather than do a demotion. Pretty sure the new group commander's policy is you get a demotion no matter what.

I only thought to look when I realized he hadn't been around in a while.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
But yeah if you get caught on base in a DUI you're hosed. If you refuse the breathlyzer test all that happens is the guy who arrested you or his supervisor has poor Command Post peons get the JAG and whoever is the magistrate at that particular moment to rubberstamp a blood test.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
And as far as enlisting goes, don't you dare fall for that stupid poo poo about 'you'll get to pick a job in basic!'. Yes, you do get to pick a job. Usually between being a cop, services, vehicle support, fuels, or something horrible like that.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Updawgs posted:

Open Electrical would make the most sense, as it contains a couple of the AFSCs I'm looking for.

You'd probably end up working ISO inspections on C-5s in Dover if you took this. This is not something you want.

Also despite what I've said about maintenance, working in it as an ART pays really loving well in some places especially when combined with drill pay.

Xenaba
Feb 18, 2003
Pillbug

Larry Parrish posted:

And as far as enlisting goes, don't you dare fall for that stupid poo poo about 'you'll get to pick a job in basic!'. Yes, you do get to pick a job. Usually between being a cop, services, vehicle support, fuels, or something horrible like that.

Yeah, talk to smertrisol about doing Fuels in Minot.

redi
Mar 29, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Fix the networks, please. Its so loving slow.

Premier Cyberspace power my rear end

I'll need you to put in a ticket for that.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

redi posted:

I'll need you to put in a ticket for that.

If I ran a normal network the way the Air Force runs theirs, I'd get fired for incompetence.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

If I ran a normal *X* the way the Air Force runs theirs, I'd get fired for incompetence.

Daemitus
Feb 21, 2006

Updawgs posted:

Hey Yall,

I've been speaking to a recruiter and getting ready for MEPS/ASVAB. When it came to the subject of jobs, he implied that Linguists/Mechanics are in demand, but didn't say much about cyber/comms.

Anyone know if 3d0x2/3d1x2 is an undermanned field? I see they're eligible for the "already have certs" enlisting bonuses for FY16, but I don't what that means in terms of signing for those AFSCs.

On the Navy side, their version of cyber/comm (CTN) looks to be consistently undermanned at 87% (I'm looking at the FY16 CTN Summary PDF). Haven't spoken to a Navy recruiter, though.

Thanks!

Figure out which cyber job allows you to become an operator with NSA, go through RIOT, spend the next two years hacking China, get out and make 140k in NOVA/DC.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Daemitus posted:

Figure out which cyber job allows you to become an operator with NSA, go through RIOT, spend the next two years hacking China, get out and make 140k in NOVA/DC.

1B4, and to a lesser extent, 1N4A.

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
*after making SrA in a feeder AFSC like 3D0X2

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum
I think they're required to list an open category these days and open electrical is lesser of all the evils. No chance of being a cop, personnelist, or finance scrub. Just other soul crushing jobs, or maybe you luck into the job you want, who knows.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

A Kpro posted:

I think they're required to list an open category these days and open electrical is lesser of all the evils. No chance of being a cop, personnelist, or finance scrub. Just other soul crushing jobs, or maybe you luck into the job you want, who knows.

When I did mine in 2008, you had to list 4 jobs you wanted, and an open category. They came back with either one of the jobs you listed, or the open. The trick was, you didn't have to sign the contract if you didn't like the job that came back. You could just wait it out, but the recruiters will go far out of their way to not mention this to you.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

A Kpro posted:

Thanks for recognizing that personnel is a soul crusher :unsmith:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Ckwiesr posted:

As someone who's been in maintenance for 7 years now as an officer DO NOT GO MAINTENANCE.

This

No seriously the USAF mx community as a whole is circling the drain in new and hilarious (also completely foreseen) ways

Godholio posted:

For officers, Personnel used to be the dumping ground for people who hosed up flight training. Most of them got tossed a couple of years later when that career field was gutted. You'll end up in Services or a cop, or something else awful.

A surprisingly large amount of mx officers that I know are former aircrew...not a huge number but probably more than you'd think. Not necessarily all washouts, there's a couple permanent DNIF's in there.

Unsurprisingly none of them put this career field on their preferences sheet yet here they are. Also unsurprisingly more than a few of them are now also former mx officers.

invision posted:

If you go 9S be sure to post about it on the somethingawful.com internet comedy forums in detail.

lol

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Yeah, it's not unusual to get retrained with no say as to where. In ABM school we had a guy who somehow was selected for OTS and commissioned without a flight physical. After starting training, he got his physical and failed due to a scratch across his eye. BAM personnel, good luck. On the other hand, an O-3 friend developed migraines after flying for a few years. They gave him a couple of options after permanently DQing him, and now he's an Intel O-4 looking at O-6 most likely. Not bad for a former crew chief/UofP grad (and actually a good person/officer). My ABM class had a washout too...he just went home with a pat on the back.

I know another ABM-turned-Intel but I'm not sure how he got there.

Ragaman
Feb 6, 2002
Title? I dont need no stinkin' Title

Shalhavet posted:

3D0X2 is in fact going through ANOTHER career field transition/merger over the next few years (just had one in 2010/2011) and from what our Chief told us, they are looking at making our job more like 1B4 or merging us directly into into 1B4.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

iyaayas01 posted:

This

No seriously the USAF mx community as a whole is circling the drain in new and hilarious (also completely foreseen) ways

They kicked out most of their dedicated workers due to PT issues and now manning is so low, they are having to consider combining AFSCs

I know JSTARS land, they want to combine Radar and Comm/Nav and possibly Guidance and Controls.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mission radar or weather radar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Godholio posted:

Mission radar or weather radar?

Mission radar. We already handle Weather Radar.

• Locked thread