Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

God, it's even been hard to try to play P4 again because its looks are loving garbo compared to this. I've been spoiled!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

God, it's even been hard to try to play P4 again because its looks are loving garbo compared to this. I've been spoiled!

So same issue lots of people ran into trying to go back to P3 after playing P4? :v:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

TurnipFritter posted:

Which, look! New tarot card designs. They're french.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkD0ptHLp98
Hierophant

Wait, Sakura? Is the dude Joker's staying with a relative of Futaba's? That's interesting.

Edit: Anyway i'm really happy cooperation lets you hang out with people outside of the Phantom Thieves. Some people were theorising it'd just be with the party, but i'm glad that's not the case.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 15, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

TurnipFritter posted:

It could be worse, it could be like Dragon Quest 7
https://twitter.com/BlueLightning26/status/742373631099965440

Still no release date though!

They didn't announce it on stream, but DQ7's release date is 9/16.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/743191138245345280

Those shelves are going to be empty for 3 months. :psyduck:

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait, Sakura? Is the dude Joker's staying with a relative of Futaba's? That's interesting.

Edit: Anyway i'm really happy cooperation lets you hang out with people outside of the Phantom Thieves. Some people were theorising it'd just be with the party, but i'm glad that's not the case.

Maybe that explains why there are screenshots of her hanging out in his room?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TurnipFritter posted:

Maybe that explains why there are screenshots of her hanging out in his room?

I mean, that would explain how she ends up becoming part of the party, since she's a recluse and all. I imagine Joker's non-blood-related-uncle is her grandfather or actually-uncle and probably sends you to check on her at some point.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They didn't announce it on stream, but DQ7's release date is 9/16.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/743191138245345280

Those shelves are going to be empty for 3 months. :psyduck:

Oh good, now I'll have something to distract me from the Persona 5 release. Interesting that SE would release a game two weeks before XV though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

TurnipFritter posted:

Oh good, now I'll have something to distract me from the Persona 5 release. Interesting that SE would release a game two weeks before XV though.

A 3DS game outside of Pokemon isn't going to dig deep into any major console release's profits, but also this isn't Japan where sales are 99% in the first week. Multiple huge games are released within the same time period, even same day, and barely suffer unless you're the near exact type of game.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Tae posted:

A 3DS game outside of Pokemon isn't going to dig deep into any major console release's profits, but also this isn't Japan where sales are 99% in the first week. Multiple huge games are released within the same time period, even same day, and barely suffer unless you're the near exact type of game.

It, uh, wasn't XV's sales I was concerned about.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Looks like I've have to beat Apocalypse in 5 days then.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

TurnipFritter posted:

It, uh, wasn't XV's sales I was concerned about.

I mean, it still applies. The DQ handheld fans aren't a huge crossover with the target demographic that FF15 is going for.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJbmB9k2Y88

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I can't believe they revealed who the final boy in persona 5 is

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

voltcatfish posted:

I can't believe they revealed who the final boy in persona 5 is

I can't believe he's naoto.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

been a long road guys. we're getting there

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

English version was confirmed to be PS4 only? I thought it was both

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Over/under on the game getting delayed again?

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

Item Getter posted:

It's deffo both.

edit: John Hardin specifically squashed the rumour of PS3 being cancelled on the giant bomb E3 stream.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Chexoid posted:

It's deffo both.

edit: John Hardin specifically squashed the rumour of PS3 being cancelled on the giant bomb E3 stream.

The food he brought looked delicious as well. I'm jealous

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

SylvainMustach posted:

I preordered SMTIV:A and I'm excited. I hope they improved the overworld map.

When's it out anyway? Even their E3 Trailer says SUMMER and we are in summer right now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Item Getter posted:

I am probably not the only one getting a PS4 just for this game...

Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are definitely great exclusives, FF15 looks pretty good although that's still a giant question mark. The new Nier will be PS4 exclusive, Ratchet and Clank is supposed to be good.

I think you'll find some good stuff even if you buy it for Persona

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Zero horizon dawn and last guardian.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are definitely great exclusives, FF15 looks pretty good although that's still a giant question mark. The new Nier will be PS4 exclusive, Ratchet and Clank is supposed to be good.

I think you'll find some good stuff even if you buy it for Persona

FF15 is only good if you really loved kingdom hearts but thought the combat was to hard because guess what they made it even easier than in those games and boy is it boring

as for other games on ps4 that Are Good Until Dawn is a cool experience, Journey is fun (if you didnt play it on PS3) and if you really liked Halo 3's multiplayer then Destiny is a good buy, and you also have God of War, Crash Remaster, and whatever the gently caress else Sony big dicked around @ E3

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

New 9th character looks real suspicious to me.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Item Getter posted:

That image is from the special edition, which is PS4 only. PS3 just gets the standard edition.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I think Tokyo Mirage Sessions is looking pretty good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6K1EMAEQog

How was it received in Japan? Next week is Grand Kingdom too, and I'll have to choose a game to buy.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Levantine posted:

How was it received in Japan? Next week is Grand Kingdom too, and I'll have to choose a game to buy.

game reviewed well in japan and sold like hot rear end

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah, it seems like it's a good game that just didn't really find an audience.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
Goro Akechi, P5 party member number 9, is based on Kogoro Akechi, a fictional detective who became famous enough to make appearances and have references in all kinds of Japanese media, including one where he went up against Arsene Lupin, the MC's starting persona.

I thought it was odd that they were keeping the wraps on just this one party member for so long. Now it makes sense. This is a reference that probably most Japanese people would get.

Anyway, I watched a recording of the livestream where he was revealed, which had what looked like some sort of in-game interview with him. Compared to Naoto, or your typical Inspector Javert-type character, he seems surprisingly humble and docile. Rather than saying he's a detective, he says something like "I have been called a detective." And at one point he slips up and calls the Phantom Thieves amazing, though he quickly walks the comment back.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've got to imagine that a factor in TMS' tepid sales is simply not being what it was announced as, right?

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

When's it out anyway? Even their E3 Trailer says SUMMER and we are in summer right now

Amazon says sept. 20

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

I've got to imagine that a factor in TMS' tepid sales is simply not being what it was announced as, right?

Consoles are lackluster already in Japan, the WiiU is worse off even then.

It's going to break even at worst, because it's not that expensive of a budget.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

I know I was pretty burned when I found out it was not a direct collaboration of the franchises, but I'm just now starting to warm up to the game with yesterday's footage at E3. It looks like the type of RPG you can take at your own pace: You can fast-forward through cutscenes and long, cinematic animations and avoid combat altogether by swatting away mirages preemptively. The customization looks like it can be interesting without being overwhelming, going with weapon forging and Class Changes over Fusion. The battles look about as good as any of the PS2 SMTs, but racking up high combos seems like it could be a fun game within the game. Haven't seen an RPG do something like that since... Xenoblade, and, before that, Dynasty Tactics 2.

I just kind of wish they had a staff member sit down with the Nintendo Treehouse folks to talk about what they were aiming for with the game. Setting up combos looks like it could be a good time, but I wonder how much strategy is behind it. They were rushing through things and seemed like they were picking options that led to the largest combos.

Part of me still yearns for a SMTxFE SRPG, but I think I'll pick up #FE next week. At the very least, I can play a new Persona game in 2016.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Also, Tokyo Mirage Sessions Sharp FE is a loving mouthful and not even the Treehouse guys yesterday could say the title without stuttering.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Oh what could have been.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

tbh i don't think a flat smt x fe crossover would have been interesting. there's literally zero connective tissue between those two franchises so either you wind up with an SMT game with FE characters as the demons (which is bascially what they made) or you make an FE game with demon summoners (which is called devil survivor)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Not really, you could have had a strategy RPG where the FE and most of the SMT characters team up to fight YHVH and his forces.

For characters like Demi-Fiend or Yu you can just give them set summons and treat them as just like your normal special attacks in an RPG. Or hell in the case of Demi-Fiend he has enough special physical attacks that you can ditch summoning for him.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 16, 2016

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the FE and SMT characters have no common ground tho. there's no interesting crossover elements you can do there, it's just fanficcy 'hi hector' 'hi raidou kuzonaha'

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
There's a joke in there about how it wouldn't hurt the quality of FE's Supports at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Iserlohn posted:

Also, Tokyo Mirage Sessions Sharp FE is a loving mouthful and not even the Treehouse guys yesterday could say the title without stuttering.

This is a dumb complaint for the SMT thread isn't it? You don't call it Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne: MANIAC EDITION you just refer to it as Nocturne, or SMT: Nocturne at most.

It's just TMS #FE. Or just #FE