Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

I'm seeing bots that use the chat now. Not good ones, mind you - they still sail straight across the map into wall after wall of torpedoes, and then say they're heading north or south after they've been sunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
0.5.7 postponed, changes and backpedals acoming

quote:

]Dear Commanders!
We’ve grown concerned with some of the data and feedback we’ve received during and after the Public Test for version 0.5.7. Therefore, we’ve decided to postpone the release of the patch by 1 week and introduce further changes to the 3 points of major concern.

Secondary Armament modernization changes:
Initially we felt that secondaries would be strong enough after we had fixed the accuracy bug that had plagued them for a long time, so the change was meant to balance out the gained effectiveness. Statistics also tell us that comparatively few players used these modules and only did so on very specific ships.
However, we did not consider the fact that this would make certain builds obsolete and force users to totally re-specialize their ships and commanders. While such changes are still bound to happen in a game like ours, we want them to be entirely your decision based on an amount of equal choices and added variety – not because we took one of those choices away. We’ll take another look at this and other planned modernization changes in the next days and rethink our approach.

Removal of Standard Battle from top tiers:
While we believe it’s better for the game in general, we agree that it also feels like we’re taking a part of gameplay away. We’ve decided to instead reduce the chance for players to encounter it, but we will keep this mode available in high-tier battles.

Cyclone weather preset spreading to more maps:
You’ve raised concerns that this change feels like favoritism towards destroyers and their gameplay style. Previously, the chance to draw the North map with Cyclone active while playing high-tiers was in the region of 7%, while in 0.5.7, the overall chance to play Cyclone on any map will increase only by a very small amount. The chance for destroyer captains to totally dominate the match-maker and the battlefield will not be significantly higher than it is now, but the overall variety of map and gameplay environments will increase.

While the decision to postpone the patch was a hard one, we remain committed to incorporating your feedback into the development of World of Warships. Please bear with us on this one and go sink some ship in the meantime.

Action Stations!

Ev1n, Global Publishing Producer

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

At least they just explained the cyclone change instead of rolling it back, the variety is desperately needed

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

I'm somewhat unclear as to how cyclones let destroyers completely dominate matches, ESPECIALLY since RADAR/SONAR now still reaches out to its full range even during them. Aside from simply blind firing torpedoes, destroyers cannot see more than 8 km away during them either, which puts them awfully close to their own detection radius. And blind fired torpedoes are generally not terribly dangerous so long as you actually pay attention to the map and terrain. Not that I can't see a bunch of players whining about the issue, since there are still plenty of players who whine about DDs in any situation since they have no idea how to dodge long-range torpedoes. I'll admit I haven't exactly thoroughly tested DDs potentially dominating due to cyclones though, so I suppose it could be true.

As for the secondaries issue, what a crock of poo poo. "We were planning on balancing removing a bug causing their accuracy to be poo poo by ensuring only tiers 9-10 could ever realistically run secondary builds any more when the most popular secondary build is a tier 7." Okay WG, clearly that made perfect sense and wasn't at all completely retarded. Though given someone there apparently thought introducing a module that reduces detonations by 70%, when there's already a flag, an incredibly common flag at that, that reduces the chance by 100% along with both not costing anything and not using up a valuable module slot, was an intelligent use of time clearly shows something.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 15, 2016

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Whale Cancer posted:

Ive been playing for a short time. So far my highest ships are the Omaha and the T5 Japan destroyer. I've started usa destroyers, and im on tier 3 and holy crap completely different than japan destroyers.

Are the Russian or German lines worth it or fun? I've already found I don't like battleships at all. Well at least based on the South Carolina.

They do a good job of differentiating the various lines. The T4 USN DD Clemson is one of the best ships in the game by tier.

The Russian DDs have guns with IJN arcs and USN RoF, but their torps are nearly useless. If you get to the T5 Gnevny you will know if you like them or not.
The Russian CA's generally have really good guns in all respects, but are made of glass and handle like 35knot battleships.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

Though given someone there apparently thought introducing a module that reduces detonations by 70%, when there's already a flag, an incredibly common flag at that, that reduces the chance by 100% along with both not costing anything and not using up a valuable module slot, was an intelligent use of time clearly shows something.

It's only incredibly common if you're a scrub. :smug:

I have 180 of them :saddowns:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Lord Koth posted:

I'm somewhat unclear as to how cyclones let destroyers completely dominate matches, ESPECIALLY since RADAR/SONAR now still reaches out to its full range even during them. Aside from simply blind firing torpedoes, destroyers cannot see more than 8 km away during them either, which puts them awfully close to their own detection radius. And blind fired torpedoes are generally not terribly dangerous so long as you actually pay attention to the map and terrain. Not that I can't see a bunch of players whining about the issue, since there are still plenty of players who whine about DDs in any situation since they have no idea how to dodge long-range torpedoes. I'll admit I haven't exactly thoroughly tested DDs potentially dominating due to cyclones though, so I suppose it could be true.

"Destroyers are already OP, and now you're letting them hide in cyclones and torpedo dominate for free, because we can't see them coming or shoot back" - every battleship driver who already dies hilariously to long range torpedoes by permanently driving in predictable straight lines near islands and through narrow choke points

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

You can't provide/recieve support when a destroyer is spotted so if he get spoted by one single guy he has very good chances of vanishing before recieving any meaningfull damage from the single ship able to shoot him.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I'm really liking the Kiev. I came in third in a Tier IX battle with a stock Kiev, but I did torpedo an absolutely retarded Atlanta driver so that had something to do with it. Boost + Flag = 48 kts :aaaaa:

I'm glad they're rolling back the secondary changes. I run with a secondary build on my Tirpitz.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
What's the deal with the ARP ships? I completed the ARP Kirishima challenge and it didn't show up in my port. Do you only get the ship when the event is over?

Arpeggio has the ugliest drat character designs though. Good lord.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Vengarr posted:

What's the deal with the ARP ships? I completed the ARP Kirishima challenge and it didn't show up in my port. Do you only get the ship when the event is over?

You have to switch ports to Yokosuka to see the ARP ships, if you're on any other port they aren't visible, and anyone playing them in a battle appears without the neon skins.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Krogort posted:

You can't provide/recieve support when a destroyer is spotted so if he get spoted by one single guy he has very good chances of vanishing before recieving any meaningfull damage from the single ship able to shoot him.

The problem with this is that it only applies if you're not playing as a team, otherwise it's likely to run into one of your destroyers or cruisers, who might very well be able to take it apart. And the constant nerfs to DDs(and CVs) just because people refuse to play as said team and then whine about them being OP is really loving frustrating.

As for secondary changes, on further reflection it's seriously an issue of the missing module slots at lower tiers. Because with the secondary module moved into the third weapon slot, along with the otherwise obvious choice for BBs in the second that includes a minor secondary boost, secondary builds for T9-10 are actually even more nasty than before - it just comes at the expense of completely cutting out tiers 7 & 8. Best solution would probably just be to not limit module slots to certain choices, you just get more total as you go up in tier along with more options. That would still allow secondary builds at lower tiers, but you'd have to sacrifice something else (probably the first equipment module, because the -3%/-5% to fire/flooding or the less chance of either rudder or engine damage are sort of eh choices.

Vengarr posted:

You have to have Yokosuka harbor selected for the ARP ships to show up.

Studio decided to do fully CGI designs for the show. Worked okay for the ships, but yeah, all the characters ended up with issues. As far as I'm aware there are very, very few tv shows that actually ever use it correctly and it almost always looks mediocre at best. When they're making movies with it they generally do fine, but not for the cheaper medium of tv. It just does not tend to work with the style of art they generally use, and even if it did the studios are usually too cheap to spend the time and money to do so.

For example, here's a trailer of the upcoming Final Fantasy movie. I fully expect it to be terrible, but holy poo poo that CGI: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGl_2gYrfM0. Admittedly though it's a different art style.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I have been doing more damage with torps in my Furutaka than I do in a destroyer :psyduck:

It seems like about 50% of the time battleships just don't notice the heavy cruiser running up to them and farting out a spread of torps.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

-Troika- posted:

I have been doing more damage with torps in my Furutaka than I do in a destroyer :psyduck:

It seems like about 50% of the time battleships just don't notice the heavy cruiser running up to them and farting out a spread of torps.

It seems a lot of people just forget that cruisers use torpedoes. It's a bit of a holdover I think when there were only two lines, and the American cruisers past tier 4 just don't get them as an option at all (I think the tier 5 can use it as one of the hull options, but gets removed with a later option). Nowadays it feels like the American cruisers are the weird ones that don't get it. You'd think that they'd learn that Japanese ones get them by now though, particularly since they're so obviously telegraphed.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Omaha has them on all three hull options. First and second hull have the same amount of tubes, and the 3rd one gets fewer tubes & main battery guns in exchange for more AA emplacements. The Atlanta has torpedoes too, but that's probably because it's pretty much an oversized destroyer.

OSad
Feb 29, 2012
wdarkk already at tier 8 for the other battleship line in the game, I'm still trying to get out of the Izumo.

I feel old.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

OSad posted:

wdarkk already at tier 8 for the other battleship line in the game, I'm still trying to get out of the Izumo.

I feel old.

I think you're a little mistaken, I'm playing the Colorado to get away from the Izumo. I don't have a Yamato yet, and don't quite have a second tier 8 battleship.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

it's pretty tough to reach rank 1 when the ranked queue is empty most of the time

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Well, this just happened (note this is my x2 first win)

So much dodging and weaving. Those torp hits are the best. Caught a colorado trying to go through a narrow spot, so I set torps while he was in the passage. Not much he could do but eat them. I guess he had the secondary skill or something because I didn't get hit by secondary for the short time I was exposed to him. Also, instead of point blank shooting me the source of the torps, it was decided a ship further back on my team was worth a volley.

Edit: jesus, I stacked them up is what I did. fast track xp boost mission, the x2 first win event, and I'm of course using the memorial flag for the 5% xp bonus as well. Was still a fantastic game.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 17, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hate to double post but uhh.. something came up worth noting for people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7HkS_2ueeY

The yubari and sims is coming back to the store june 26th to july 10th.

Edit: some community contests can net you a grem.

JuffoWup fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 17, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

JuffoWup posted:

Hate to double post but uhh.. something came up worth noting for people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7HkS_2ueeY

The yubari and sims is coming back to the store june 26th to july 10th.

Edit: some community contests can net you a grem.

I want a grem. I have the Sims, it's okay, but meh. Somewhat buffed torpedoes or better shell arcs would make it a fun ship.

I might consider the Yubari, but it's Tier IV and the Kuma is the God-Emperor-Cruiser of Tier IV.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The only thing a Yubari is good for is a low-cost way to retrain a captain for a new hull after retraining him with credits. The shell arc on it is awful and the entire ship is practically one gigantic citadel.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The only thing a Yubari is good for is a low-cost way to retrain a captain for a new hull after retraining him with credits. The shell arc on it is awful and the entire ship is practically one gigantic citadel.

Really, the yubari's claim to fun is making GBS threads on tier 4 aircraft carriers. Mainly in that normally you wouldn't expect your planes to panic if you are top tier which can happen if a yubari flips on their aa defense skill.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

"Hay guyz while you all go to A I'm going to sneak into B!" *dies to 3 DDs*

"Hay guyz, I'm going to the other cap to 'put pressure' on it! Otherwise it's free points for them!" *dies to 2 DDs and a CA*

"Hay guyz I'll just peek into the other cap, I'll run if I'm spotted!" *dies to 3 DDs*

I love ranked so much. :smithicide:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

El Disco posted:

"Hay guyz, I'm going to the other cap to 'put pressure' on it! Otherwise it's free points for them!" *dies to 2 DDs and a CA*

"Hay guyz I'll just peek into the other cap, I'll run if I'm spotted!" *dies to 3 DDs*

Sounds like my random matches last night. I love it so much. Everyone agrees to cap a and b. DDs obligingly do so. All the heavier ships go "gently caress that" and drive to a. Me in an american BB find myself hanging out near b trying to take as much punishment and dish as much as I can to delay the enemy team that all went c and b. Except they brought more to the table for the b cap killing our dd that was left to himself.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
My last match this morning in the Clemson.. the DD'S go to scout A and here comes the other teams blob of DDs, CAs and BBs trailing.. our BBs on the other hand are running for the loving borders. Our CV is piling all his resources at A2... that OUR side of the map. WTF?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

El Disco posted:

Today I had:

:v: Cruisers don't charge off, stay with the BB's.
:byodood: I gotta support the cap.
:v: Support it, don't be inside it.

:byodood: is the Cleveland at the bottom.

fake edit: RNG smiling on me plus lots of juicy broadsides got me that win. Two Omaha drivers going broadsides and just staying that way at 8km to a New Mexico. Got my flag of the second league. I think I'm done with ranked.

Didn't someone on here say, "play Ranked on the weekends and Regular on weekdays?"

Moral_Hazard fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 18, 2016

Chucullinn
Dec 9, 2008
Here is me driving the short bus that is ranked battles. Colorado really is great for ranked.

I honestly don't how players stay this bad in ranked. The other funny thing is the cleveland got kill stolen off me as well.

I really hope it gets better after rank 10.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Chucullinn posted:

You poor, sweet child.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Chucullinn posted:

I honestly don't how players stay this bad in ranked. The other funny thing is the cleveland got kill stolen off me as well.

I've got some bad news for you...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

gently caress their worthless RNG. Ryujo fighters vs Ryujo fighters, despite having all the relevant mods and skills, and being over tier 8 friendly AA, my fighters died while 2 enemy ones remained.

Then, two squads of dive bombers landed 1 bomb in a manual drop on a stationary, already used its AA skill, 3k hp Mogami.

Then, while trying to torp the only tier 6 battleship, a Fuso, a torp bomber squad strayed within range of a Myoko and the dice rolled to "instantly evaporate the entire squadron"

While trying to make the attack on the Fuso, the client decided I was atually trying to drive my ship there, so canceled my carefully laid out "run the gently caress away" course south into a "drive north right at the Benson" course.

Which, of course, ended in me auto dropping torps on the Benson. Which sank it :shrug:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 18, 2016

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug

NTRabbit posted:

gently caress their worthless RNG. Ryujo fighters vs Ryujo fighters, despite having all the relevant mods and skills, and being over tier 8 friendly AA, my fighters died while 2 enemy ones remained.

Then, two squads of dive bombers landed 1 bomb in a manual drop on a stationary, already used its AA skill, 3k hp Mogami.

Then, while trying to torp the only tier 6 battleship, a Fuso, a torp bomber squad strayed within range of a Myoko and the dice rolled to "instantly evaporate the entire squadron"

While trying to make the attack on the Fuso, the client decided I was atually trying to drive my ship there, so canceled my carefully laid out "run the gently caress away" course south into a "drive north right at the Benson" course.

Which, of course, ended in me auto dropping torps on the Benson. Which sank it :shrug:

Working as intended :chord:

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Was hiking for the week, returned with a 4-1 in ranked today.

Seems like lots of players have reached rank 10 now.

These players only play DD or BB. It's pretty easy to win as long as your dd don't suicide.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Did you read the text on how that aa poo poo works? My god, why not simplify the math and have it cover what the people see. HP of the squad versus dps of the fighters/aa ring. Instead, there is this 3 paragraph long mess of text to describe the crazy algorithm used.

And yeah, that is why I haven't played my carriers for a long time. The ui will just sometimes switch to ship control and you'll suddenly be telling your ship where to go and not the squad.

Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'm starting to think that to make carriers work in the engine, they made the planes be considered external modules. A flying turret if you will. And that is why there is this crazy math in place.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
Apparently I'm incapable of not running into every single enemy torpedo in my destroyer, meanwhile in my fat rear end BB I always slide between the spreads like it ain't no thing

JuffoWup posted:

Did you read the text on how that aa poo poo works? My god, why not simplify the math and have it cover what the people see. HP of the squad versus dps of the fighters/aa ring. Instead, there is this 3 paragraph long mess of text to describe the crazy algorithm used.
I read it and it was the most :psyduck: thing

I still don't understand how planes work

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

So, is the Molotov supposed to be horseshit? I bought one and on my first game did the most damage I've done in WoWS.

Edit: I apparently have an ARP Kongo and Haruna. Why can't I sell them?

Minenfeld! fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 19, 2016

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

What's the verdict on Mahan vs. Kiev for ranked?

Mahan can ninja torp in a pinch and the guns are good at ~5 km. Kiev has awesome guns in the ~10 km range and is much faster. Torpedoes are largely useless. Not sure.

Motolov is awesome; don't listen to the brown sea.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Molotov is super fragile, which is why the brown sea is no good at it, if you sit at max range you're a tier 6 cruiser firing tier 9 shells at 16km and smashing tier 7 battleships to pieces. It's not an egregious abuse ship that will never be sold again like the Gremy or Kutuzov, but it's still painful to fight against.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Minenfeld! posted:

So, is the Molotov supposed to be horseshit? I bought one and on my first game did the most damage I've done in WoWS.

Edit: I apparently have an ARP Kongo and Haruna. Why can't I sell them?

The lite brite kongos are sepcial ships given out through certain missions (haruna and kirishima events are running through the rest of this month) you can't sell them because they are "special" but they only appear if you're using the yokosaka port, otherwise they don't even appear in your ship list and anyone else driving them just looks like they are in the regular version of the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

The Molotov is super fragile, which is why the brown sea is no good at it, if you sit at max range you're a tier 6 cruiser firing tier 9 shells at 16km and smashing tier 7 battleships to pieces. It's not an egregious abuse ship that will never be sold again like the Gremy or Kutuzov, but it's still painful to fight against.

I love my molotov, I've definitely gone 3v1 in it and come out the other side with 65k in damage done and still alive. It's really loving powerful if your opponents are retarded and give you a broadside, and it absolutely mutilates BB superstructures.