Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It's like he swung into some bird poo poo mid-air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Wasn't the new game rumored to coincide with the next movie? Might get that poo poo on the big screen.

Of course the game will have unlockable costumes. Have fun pre ordering at GameStop to get the Scarlet Spider skin.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Veotax posted:

There's a new PS4 exclusive Spider-Man game coming, not sure if it's supposed to be tied into the MCU or whatever but here's Spidy's costume.

His eyes animate like the MCU costume.

I like it. White is a bold addition to Spidy's usual color scheme, and I think it works well.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stand proud American Spider :patriot:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Die Laughing posted:

Wasn't the new game rumored to coincide with the next movie? Might get that poo poo on the big screen.

Of course the game will have unlockable costumes. Have fun pre ordering at GameStop to get the Scarlet Spider skin.

I don't think so, this one is going to be an experienced Spider-Man who already dealt with some of the villains in it before.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

To me variations of the Spider-man costume are judged on exactly how much, or how little, the gently caress up an already good thing.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Captain Spidmerica?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Ygolonac posted:

Captain Spidmerica?

Captain Amarachne

Toadstrieb
Apr 15, 2011
I'm basically into it.

At least it'll let you see where the hell spider man is on a screen that's probably gonna be painted black, grey, and brown, like every other big title these days.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Ygolonac posted:

Captain Spidmerica?

I get a same-y vibe too, but I think it's decent.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

wiegieman posted:

Don't throw your vote away this year,
stand with the one your heart most fears!

That is on the nose to a distressing degree.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Toadstrieb posted:

I'm basically into it.

At least it'll let you see where the hell spider man is on a screen that's probably gonna be painted black, grey, and brown, like every other big title these days.

I dunno how brown the art direction in this game is but the white torso design might make it easier for players to distinguish what he's doing frame by frame, since spiderman flips around a lot and as a video game player character it needs to be obvious what he's doing at any point in an animation (punching, swinging etc) from any camera angle.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
The white spider on the red background kinda looks like he's had his torso skin ripped off, and that's metal.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I do not understand all the people saying the white spider logo will let them keep track of the character dressed in vivid primary colors.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you needed a big white sign on the player character to orient yourself in a dull colored game world wouldn't Spider-Man's big rear end eyes serve that purpose?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Travis343 posted:

If you needed a big white sign on the player character to orient yourself in a dull colored game world wouldn't Spider-Man's big rear end eyes serve that purpose?

listen pal i don't know how you play third-person games but i tend to have the camera facing forward

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alaois posted:

listen pal i don't know how you play third-person games but i tend to have the camera facing forward

So when you cant see his eyes, you know youre looking at his back. It works!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Alaois posted:

I can't play the Witcher without being able to stare right into Geralt's manly cat-eyes.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Lurdiak posted:

I do not understand all the people saying the white spider logo will let them keep track of the character dressed in vivid primary colors.

It is not about keeping track of the character within his surroundings, it's about keeping track of what the character is doing. Spiderman is wearing patterns of bright blue and red all over his body, so if he's, say, crouching mid jump and you have the camera facing him on certain angles he runs the risk of becoming a big mess of reds and blues instead of registering to the player as a figure in mid - jump. That's the theory behind it anyway! I only saw the trailer once. I'm just talking about it as a design principle, to suggest a reason why the suit might have a big white spider on the torso. I also like design, so I find this kind of medium/media specific design factor really interesting.

Bayonetta is a good example of this design principle. Her outfit is all black but her guns (on her hands and feet) are bright red, so the player can read her animations easily (because they can always tell where her hands and feet are).

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Red Bones posted:

It is not about keeping track of the character within his surroundings, it's about keeping track of what the character is doing. Spiderman is wearing patterns of bright blue and red all over his body, so if he's, say, crouching mid jump and you have the camera facing him on certain angles he runs the risk of becoming a big mess of reds and blues instead of registering to the player as a figure in mid - jump. That's the theory behind it anyway! I only saw the trailer once. I'm just talking about it as a design principle, to suggest a reason why the suit might have a big white spider on the torso. I also like design, so I find this kind of medium/media specific design factor really interesting.

Bayonetta is a good example of this design principle. Her outfit is all black but her guns (on her hands and feet) are bright red, so the player can read her animations easily (because they can always tell where her hands and feet are).

That wasn't a problem 12 years ago, why would it be a problem now?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Red Bones posted:

Isn't that the game where she's naked all the time but sometimes wraps her hair around herself so that it looks like clothing?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

prefect posted:

Isn't that the game where she's naked all the time but sometimes wraps her hair around herself so that it looks like clothing?

She spends most of the time dressed in her hair but when she does certain attacks she becomes naked yeah.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Chaos Hippy posted:

12 years ago resolutions were much lower, textures were less realistic, and sprites were often the only moving part on the screen?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Chaos Hippy posted:

It's not and you're totally right.

The Spiderman games have always lived and died with how the camera controlled in relation to his weird powers and ever changing perspective as he switches to walls and ceilings and swings around the room, the city and poo poo. Even the first Spiderman game on PS1managed to recognize this and get it right and had nothing to do with "aw poo poo!!! Where's Spiderman? If only he stood out!" or the color of his costume in relation to his environment.

Scaramouche posted:

12 years ago resolutions were much lower, textures were less realistic, and sprites were often the only moving part on the screen?

But if the camera adjusted correctly you never had any problem knowing where you (Spiderman) were. It had nothing much at all to do with his costume as far as I remember. It was the constantly changing perspective and getting your view straightened out which, in the best Spiderman games, happened rather seamlessly.

Except for that last Doc Ock fight in Spiderman on PS2. You couldn't see poo poo.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 16, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's not like it would be difficult to avoid making things with combinations of red and blue in the environment if this was legitimately an issue. It's not something you really see too often in cities other than on advertisements.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I picked up a really cheap copy of the Marvel Encyclopedia the other and my god were there a lot of lovely goofy costumes. But the one that stands out and what I never really noticed is how many superheroes and villains wore those boots with the big fold over...I don''t know..."cuffs" or whatever. Those early Captain America boots

These:

http://www.marveldirectory.com/pictures/individuals/c_1d/captainamerica.gif

Lots and lots of comic book motherfuckers wore those like forever. Funny, I don't think I've ever seen anyone OUTSIDE of a comic book.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Motherfucker do not badmouth buccaneer boots in my presence.

And I don't mean just for superheroes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Superheroes love pirate boots.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Jim Starlin was big into those boots. Off hand I can think of Dreadstar (like every character), Pip the Troll, Thanos, probably a bunch of others.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Scaramouche posted:

I don't see how higher resolution and better textures would make that worse.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

DC had plenty of pirate boots too. It was a thing.

Ygolonac
Nov 26, 2007

pre:
CLUTCH  NIXON

The Hero We Need
Floppy boots just go so *well* with capes, long gloves (sometime floppy-cuffed as well), high collars and exotic headgear ranging from tricorns and musketeer hats all the way down to your basic headsocks.

It's only later that they fall out of favor, to be replaced by skintights, bandoliers of pouches, and <sigh> headsocks.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's part of why Captain America's design endured for so long. The extra flare on the boots, and gloves, along with the wings on his head accentuated each point on his body. You don't often see Cap's silhouette, but it's quite recognizable.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

My City of Heroes characters always had those boots so kindly BACK THE gently caress OFF, SIR

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Squizzle posted:

Motherfucker do not badmouth buccaneer boots in my presence.
And I don't mean just for superheroes.

Chinaman7000 posted:

My City of Heroes characters always had those boots so kindly BACK THE gently caress OFF, SIR

What these dudes said. :colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The 70s had so many horrible costume trends that pirate boots don't even register.

Chaos Hippy posted:

I don't see how higher resolution and better textures would make that worse.

Just let it go, some people will defend anything.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

But how can I validate my existence without forcing everyone to accept that I'm right about everything?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

That part actually makes sense to me, because simple arrangements of red and blue triangles against comparably simple grey and black rectangles would be extremely easy to figure out visually, compared to a very complicated, subtly shaded guy moving fluidly around a complicated, shaded cityscape. If the triangles dude has a small set of animations, such that you can quickly learn to recognize everything he does, that's even more true.

e:

Chinaman7000 posted:

Oh poo poo, you just reminded me of playing with that Korean COH character creator thing. I was talking with a chum on IRC, and we made a guy who used all of the costume features we liked best individually, whether or not they fit together. Buccaneer boots, domino mask, cool hood, etc. Over the years we ended up building a whole superhero world out of the joking we did about that guy, and it's still our go-to reference when talking about genre tropes.

Buccaneer boot lyfe.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jun 17, 2016

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Honestly, I think the white spider is to help distinguish this as a unique take on Spider-Man and not related to the Sony/Marvel film Spider-Man. And that's probably the weird thing in assessing it. Like maybe it's a good design? But it inherently looks off-brand. It's not like Miles Morales's Spider-Man or Scarlet Spider or Iron Spider which are different enough that they're their own things while still invoking the core elements of Spider-Man. It's a Spider-Man who is just slightly off. It's the same reason why I think both DC's t-shirt Superman in the new 52 look dope as hell, but the main New 52 design looks wrong. The t-shirt Superman are a redesign that keeps the color scheme and logo as key elements. The New 52 armor design is a traditional Superman design that's just missing things and adding things that seem unnecessary. It's not necessarily bad (Although I think the New 52 design fails to inform us about the character), but it can't help not looking off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

Like maybe it's a good design?

Nah.

• Locked thread