Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Virigoth posted:

The thing you have to watch out for with "company stock" is that you don't get into some weird golden handcuff situation. I had a co-worker smugly tell me once I took stock options and RSUs that I couldn't go anywhere else because of all the money I'd lose. Yeah, ok guy let me base my willingness to stay at this company on that "magic money" that might or might not happen, thanks for the nice perk though.

This.

I got a signing bonus of 1500 shares which seems great! Until you read the fine print that says 1/3 of that vests after the first year and then a portion every month until it is fully vested in 4 years. This tends to keep people around in a job they hate because they don't want to walk away from that money, and that in turns makes them difficult to deal with on a daily basis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

You also have to be mindful of how vulnerable you are to equity dilution. The nice thing about being paid in money is your company can't just issue a bunch more to make yours mostly worthless.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

NippleFloss posted:

You also have to be mindful of how vulnerable you are to equity dilution. The nice thing about being paid in money is your company can't just issue a bunch more to make yours mostly worthless.
Well, they should be using the capital they raise to grow the business. Issuing new shares shouldn't automatically make the existing ones worth less.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

NippleFloss posted:

You are right, that's what governments are for!

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Arsten posted:

Wow. That list makes you look very unknowledgeable about quite a few disciplines.

Why do you think a systems administrator puts up with less bullshit than a cashier at McDonalds?

Veterinarians, despite going to school for anatomy, aren't like doctors. Most of them learned about canine and feline anatomy and give general advice for $200 per visit. The education level is similar to system administrators and yet they generally make a lot more. Of course, you might mean vet techs, but they go to school to get a rubber stamp from your state. A lot of them are candidates for balsa wood

Legal workers who aren't attorneys? You mean the paralegals that tend to make 50K per year to enter and 70+k per year if they show they aren't drooling morons? Or are you talking about the legal industry's 1099 indentured servants making $20 an hour? Both still do better than most help desk jobs.

Farmers? Have you seen a farm since the 1850s? It's not like cowboys on a cattle drive. For crop farming, you sit in a tractor five to ten weeks a year and then do minor repairs on watering systems (unless your farm is left to rot, and then you do major repairs on watering systems). For animal farming, you bring out feed. By hand if it's less than 100 head and by tractor, again, if it's more than 100 head and then do maintenance on the cattle and gates. It's hardly "demanding" anymore though it can get overwhelming....much like IT. (Also, note that farmers make the rough equivalent of wet dirt unless they are part of a conglomerate.) There are still a few farm types that need manual labor, but then you are talking about il/legal immigrants in this country who are paid beans. Are you trying to say that since immigrants make nothing, IT workers should make nothing?

On top of those that I know about above, you obviously don't understand the chest of knowledge that your average IT worker needs to have just to perform most IT jobs. The fact that you can see them sitting around doing nothing is because they have the knowledge set to clear emergencies before they happen or quickly when they happen. That doesn't make it cushy and it's rare to have a field where ongoing education isn't just a good thing to have, it's a foundational requirement for performing the job well.

Helpdesk and sysadmin are not the average for IT. Here is a list of local average salaries for non senior IT jobs. Data scientist, $130k, software engineer, $110k, devops engineer, $120k, sales engineer, $97k, UX designer, $95k, site reliability engineer, $128k, QA manager, security engineer, $124k, IT manager $112k, software architect, $142k, analytics manager, $125k, solutions architect, $129k. People in higher paying jobs are treated better in general. Higher paid jobs have more financial leverage to get better working conditions. Fast food workers in particular get treated like poo poo all the time.

Veterinarians require 8 years of school and state licensing. A paralegal requires a degree, work experience and a formal certification. Neither paralegals or vet techs are well paid.

Have you worked on a farm for even a single day? It is exhausting work. On a cranberry farm Furford pickers and bog buggy's haven't changed. The entire harvest season is long days and then when its over you have to find a new job.

Working in IT is a sweet gig compared to any of the above. Great pay, low unemployment, future growth, minimal risk of injury, cushy benefits.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Arsten posted:

Legal workers who aren't attorneys? You mean the paralegals that tend to make 50K per year to enter and 70+k per year if they show they aren't drooling morons?

My mother's a paralegal. She owns 3 houses in California. I remember 25 years ago we typically split a hot dog to go with our Mac and cheese for dinner because that's all she could afford. She also works from home. So yeah, I kinda chuckle at paralegals being poor and downtrodden. Also, the degree and certification "requirement" is exactly the same as any IT job listing. She had neither to get the exact position she still has 10 years later. She spent a lot of her life being a secretary for a law firm and stuck with it, learning more. Now she moved across the country and makes a good amount of money. Sounds probably very similar to a lot of people in this thread.

Arsten posted:

It doesn't, though. Traditional construction workers start out at 45-50K and in high demand years can put in enough overtime to hit 80+k.

And this is my dad. I do his taxes for him and this is completely accurate for one of the lowest cost of living areas in the US. The starting pay may be a bit high - it's probably more like 40-50 is what you'll earn with some overtime while the 80k+ is the same job/workload after you've put in a few years.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
So, new job wants automated os & software deployment. I get to pretty much choose, so guys, please give suggestions, and tell me if products suck rear end. Looking at all things like opsi.org, Zenworks, CA, WDS...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Friend: "Hey you were looking for a cheaper ESB alternative to BizTalk right? You should look into OpenESB."
Me: *check wikipedia* "OpenESB is a Java-based..." Noooope.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Dark Helmut posted:

I worked as an independent contractor for the cable company. I'd follow cable techs for installs of wireless routers, static IP modems, and general internet troubleshooting stuff for commercial AND residential and I can 100% corroborate. It was awful and at times traumatic and just plain unhealthy and all I did was work with computers. The cable guys had it MUCH worse. Crawling through attics in FL heat, in lovely crawlspaces and dealing with horrible people. We live in a first world country and I saw some truly deplorable poo poo... Literally. Made a ton of money, but I'll never do that again.

Also: gently caress hoarders.

I actually miss cabling. It was a tough job, where I was at best "uncomfortable" 12 hours a day.
But if I made more money than I do now, and had benefits I'd go back in a heartbeat.
You're essentially invisible, don't have to answer to half a dozen bosses, there's no red tape, don't get berated for doing exactly what you were told to do, yadda yadda yadda.
Essentially, it can be lovely, mindless, and unrewarding at times, but it's way less stressful and frustrating than my current job.

Also, you don't have to deal with printers.
gently caress printers.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

And let's not forget preference! Many a time the proceeds from a company sold at a profit never make it down to the common stock.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I actually miss cabling. It was a tough job, where I was at best "uncomfortable" 12 hours a day.
But if I made more money than I do now, and had benefits I'd go back in a heartbeat.
You're essentially invisible, don't have to answer to half a dozen bosses, there's no red tape, don't get berated for doing exactly what you were told to do, yadda yadda yadda.
Essentially, it can be lovely, mindless, and unrewarding at times, but it's way less stressful and frustrating than my current job.

gently caress printers.

I use to do a lot of physical installs of satellite internet dishes, WISP antennas, Wireless AP deployments, etc where I would get to climb on buildings and install all of theses things and run the cable. I really miss it too. You got to work in a new place every couple of days and meet new people. Each building was its own unique puzzle that had to be solved.

This was also in rural Alaska and I felt like I was living in the wild west. Taking sled rides behind a snow machine(mobile) carrying all my gear out into the middle of nowhere. Working all day until 8-9PM and then taking a short walk to go catch some huge salmon for dinner, those were the days.

If I could I'd love to get some higher paying good with benefits job that got me out of the office more and in a new environment every once in a while. Bonus if I get to climb towers occasionally.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I use to do a lot of physical installs of satellite internet dishes, WISP antennas, Wireless AP deployments, etc where I would get to climb on buildings and install all of theses things and run the cable. I really miss it too. You got to work in a new place every couple of days and meet new people. Each building was its own unique puzzle that had to be solved.

This was also in rural Alaska and I felt like I was living in the wild west. Taking sled rides behind a snow machine(mobile) carrying all my gear out into the middle of nowhere. Working all day until 8-9PM and then taking a short walk to go catch some huge salmon for dinner, those were the days.

If I could I'd love to get some higher paying good with benefits job that got me out of the office more and in a new environment every once in a while. Bonus if I get to climb towers occasionally.

I hear linemen get paid a good amount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDa6nM0o5JU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

gently caress printers.

I have nothing but respect for anyone mad enough to be willing to splice fiber optic cable out in the field. The poo poo that can turn up in Joints and FISTS is amazing here in Australia.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

lampey posted:

devops engineer, $120k
Anyone with this position and calling it a non-senior position on the job posting is lying FYI

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

lampey posted:

Helpdesk and sysadmin are not the average for IT. Here is a list of local average salaries for non senior IT jobs. Data scientist, $130k, software engineer, $110k, devops engineer, $120k, sales engineer, $97k, UX designer, $95k, site reliability engineer, $128k, QA manager, security engineer, $124k, IT manager $112k, software architect, $142k, analytics manager, $125k, solutions architect, $129k. People in higher paying jobs are treated better in general. Higher paid jobs have more financial leverage to get better working conditions. Fast food workers in particular get treated like poo poo all the time.

Veterinarians require 8 years of school and state licensing. A paralegal requires a degree, work experience and a formal certification. Neither paralegals or vet techs are well paid.

Have you worked on a farm for even a single day? It is exhausting work. On a cranberry farm Furford pickers and bog buggy's haven't changed. The entire harvest season is long days and then when its over you have to find a new job.

Working in IT is a sweet gig compared to any of the above. Great pay, low unemployment, future growth, minimal risk of injury, cushy benefits.

Any data scientist making that kind of money is going to have a PH.D, and that is not an entry or mid level position.

Honestly, those numbers all seem high even from an expensive market like Chicago or NYC where we have offices and most of those roles.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

What does a Microsoft Windows Update QA person make? Because I have some suggestions on how much to cut their pay by, after this month's updates.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CLAM DOWN posted:

What does a Microsoft Windows Update QA person make? Because I have some suggestions on how much to cut their pay by, after this month's updates.
Microsoft doesn't believe in QA. Literally.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

anthonypants posted:

PCjr sidecar posted:

Why pay for ten manual testers when you can hire two SDETs for the same price?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

anthonypants posted:

quote:

PS: I'm a cowboy coder and I would never get near software where my idiot mistakes could endanger lives.

Well thank gently caress for that

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we're the QA department

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

go3 posted:

we're the QA department

Our reports are being ignored just the same, so really it isn't any different.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

anthonypants posted:

Um, except that's not what the author of that article is saying?

quote:

Ah, but what does testing mean? Herein lies the other downfall of many. It does not mean manually repeating steps to make sure something works. It does not mean multi-step documents telling your peers "how to run tests on this." Continuous integration and rapid iteration mean writing software to test your software. If the way you test that the thing you wrote is to start an app and click some buttons or type some commands then you have royally hosed up. That's called QA, and it's a totally different thing, and it is not what test is considered to be.

Oh, and QA is insanely important. QA is a job where people try to use software like normal humans. QA is where you didn't read the code but you tried to get some real-world task done with the product and you tell people how that went for you. User experience is quality that must be assured as a distinct and important thing. Automated testing (or pseudo-automated testing) is not QA.

I'm not a programmer (and yes, the guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat), but it seems you're misinterpreting his words.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MiniFoo posted:

Um, except that's not what the author of that article is saying?

I'm not a programmer (and yes, the guy sounds like an rear end in a top hat), but it seems you're misinterpreting his words.
He's saying, "QA is great but why are we paying this whole other department full of people to do QA? Coders write the code and understand the code so they can do QA too, and that's why we fired everyone who worked in QA for Microsoft."

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I hear linemen get paid a good amount.

It's mostly because of hazard pay.

My father-in-law has been a lineman for almost 25 years and his body has worn to the point where he literally can't do it anymore. He makes loving bank but now he can barely move and is faced with the choice of being stuck behind a desk waiting to collect pension or just retiring right now and living off of savings until pension/SS kicks in. He's also told some of the most :stonk: stories about watching coworkers die right in front of him from electrocution or nasty falls.

It's a job that will wreck you, physically and emotionally.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mayodreams posted:

Any data scientist making that kind of money is going to have a PH.D, and that is not an entry or mid level position.

Honestly, those numbers all seem high even from an expensive market like Chicago or NYC where we have offices and most of those roles.

Those numbers all seem pretty reasonable, though I'd submit that none of those are "non-senior IT" though they are non-management positions, maybe that's what he means?

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

lampey posted:

You think those are "average for IT"? You're fooling yourself. All of those jobs are in the minority and most of them are senior. An IT Manager doesn't have any kind of seniority? Sure. I'll just hire a BA right out of college, pay him $112,000 a year and hope that he manages IT well. Because it's just so easy. Hell, i'll hire a guy from McDonalds with no history of even using a computer. It's not like he needs to know a single thing, right? :v:

Each and every one of those positions require education - demonstrated education, by the by. You can't just walk in from McDonalds at 18 and expect to get into any of them. And, yeah, some people can make it into those jobs in 5 or so years because they do nothing but educate themselves about some aspect of IT. More commonly? Ten years experience, usually in progressively more applicable roles with at least 3 years in a similar or step-to role.

And help desk, Sys Admin, and Network Admin (or some bastard hybrid of the three) are the most common roles in IT by number of people that work them.

lampey posted:

Yes, Vets can go to school for up to 8 years (check your state) and require a license - that in many states is passing an exam that isn't that difficult if you have a passing familiarity with the discipline. The actual educational requirements of the job are similar to a sys admin. The only reason you "must complete a degree" is being allowed to take an exam for a license, not because the field is difficult.

lampey posted:

I worked on a farm for almost 15 years because my family owns a farm to this day. You are describing a particular subset of farms that aren't the norm and are specifically ignoring that I directly noted this kind of farm:

quote:

There are still a few farm types that need manual labor, but then you are talking about il/legal immigrants in this country who are paid beans. Are you trying to say that since immigrants make nothing, IT workers should make nothing?

You also failed to answer the question. IT Workers should be paid nothing because someone, somewhere has it worse? That's not only backwards thinking, it's toxic. Let's apply that anywhere else: Be happy you work at a counter at McDonalds, guy, some illegal immigrants have to pick cranberries for a buck an hour while evading INS. Forget $15/hour, they should work for $1 an hour so that they have it the same as people in different situations. Right?

It makes as much sense as the older generations that tell the younger generations to quit whining because they put themselves through college in 1972 on minimum wage and the world hasn't changed one bit since then, so obviously the new generations are whining about nothing.

lampey posted:

The pay is great for specialists, who are not in the majority. But not for the rank and file.

Ugato posted:

My mother's a paralegal. She owns 3 houses in California. I remember 25 years ago we typically split a hot dog to go with our Mac and cheese for dinner because that's all she could afford. She also works from home. So yeah, I kinda chuckle at paralegals being poor and downtrodden. Also, the degree and certification "requirement" is exactly the same as any IT job listing. She had neither to get the exact position she still has 10 years later. She spent a lot of her life being a secretary for a law firm and stuck with it, learning more. Now she moved across the country and makes a good amount of money. Sounds probably very similar to a lot of people in this thread.
The smart and able paralegals are paid well because they make a lawyers' life a lot less complicated.

Ugato posted:

And this is my dad. I do his taxes for him and this is completely accurate for one of the lowest cost of living areas in the US. The starting pay may be a bit high - it's probably more like 40-50 is what you'll earn with some overtime while the 80k+ is the same job/workload after you've put in a few years.
Most of my construction experience is from multiple angles of housing/subdivision construction. The workers are given low-ball hourly wages with the expectation that they will work ceaselessly during the spring/summer/fall months to gain enough vacation to ride out the winter as well as making up to double their wage for the entire year. This is true in asphalt paving, concrete paving, concrete transport, framing, bricking, and so forth.

I do know that the common trades workers (carpenters, electricians, etc) tend to start out higher and get less overtime overall.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

NippleFloss posted:

Those numbers all seem pretty reasonable, though I'd submit that none of those are "non-senior IT" though they are non-management positions, maybe that's what he means?

Yeah, a couple of those seem pretty well in the ballpark for sr. level non-management positions. Depending on the size of the company, the individual, and the job specifics, a couple of those can even be on the low-ish end. But yeah, that's all specialist work.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jun 16, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

lampey posted:

Helpdesk and sysadmin are not the average for IT. Here is a list of local average salaries for non senior IT jobs. Data scientist, $130k, software engineer, $110k, devops engineer, $120k, sales engineer, $97k, UX designer, $95k, site reliability engineer, $128k, QA manager, security engineer, $124k, IT manager $112k, software architect, $142k, analytics manager, $125k, solutions architect, $129k.

Odds that by "local" lampey means "San Francisco" = 99%

IT sucks when you're Tier 1 making $14/hour and getting a hundred calls a day. IT, like every other office job, gets better as you work your way up and get more money and less poo poo work.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Cenodoxus posted:

It's mostly because of hazard pay.

My father-in-law has been a lineman for almost 25 years and his body has worn to the point where he literally can't do it anymore. He makes loving bank but now he can barely move and is faced with the choice of being stuck behind a desk waiting to collect pension or just retiring right now and living off of savings until pension/SS kicks in. He's also told some of the most :stonk: stories about watching coworkers die right in front of him from electrocution or nasty falls.

It's a job that will wreck you, physically and emotionally.
Not to mention the alcohol problem. We joke a lot about IT driving you to drink, but Con Ed has a training program specifically dealing with alcoholism which dates back to 1966, and is believed to be one of the oldest such programs in the entire country. Every field operator I've ever known from Con Ed is either a functioning or a recovering alcoholic.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 17, 2016

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

WampaLord posted:

Any big city tbqh. It's not difficult to find that money in the city. That money is kinda crap for SF or NYC. The cost of living in those cities is so high.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

WampaLord posted:

IT sucks when you're Tier 1 making $14/hour and getting a hundred calls a day. IT, like every other office job, gets better as you work your way up and get more money and less poo poo work.
Probably not? At least not if those numbers aren't being pulled out of thin air. "DevOps Engineer" in the Bay Area is closer to $150k. (It's still a position where you're either a senior engineer specializing, or you're very bad at your job.)

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

I'm going to be making over 80k 3 years out of college, with over 2 weeks of paid time off (not including 15 paid holidays throughout the year) and incredible benefits. IT loving OWNS!!!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
I'm about to give up a 50k/yr job to go back to school to try to get into IT!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

The Nards Pan posted:

I'm about to give up a 50k/yr job to go back to school to try to get into IT!
Or you could skip school and just start working in IT.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

adorai posted:

Or you could skip school and just start working in IT.

Yeah, but I already have some community college credits and I can take cheaper certs there while working on pretty good lab set ups. I should be able to get an AS in network admin along with a handful of certs in less than a year with very little debt, I'm not cutting huge checks to ITT tech or anything.

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!
I just applied for a job for the first time in about four years. I feel rusty :ohdear:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

When it's all worth it: I just called a vendor's support number and the guy on the other end was an emphatic user of the product that's kept me from sleeping for the past two weeks. He totally fanboyed out for a minute, then apologized for sounding so unprofessional.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
:yotj:

Got a four month consultancy at government research office, which gets me out of unemployment for a while. I have to work all summer, but I do have a balcony outside my office with a view of these guys:

Also, 7 hour days, because government and summer. My contract said 8 hours, so the agency that put me here is working on ironing out the details there, but I shouldn't lose any money.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Arsten posted:

Ten years experience,
Hiring <Entry Level IT Position>!
Required: 5 years experience with Windows 10 and 10 years with Windows Server 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Hiring <Entry Level IT Position>!
Required: 5 years experience with Windows 10 and 10 years with Windows Server 2012

* Debunking Einstein required knowledge for our Help Desk!