Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I've seen so many really hardcore SF players just abandon this game completely, it's really sad.

The thing is it's 100% Capcom's fault. This game just has too many problems that even a dumb babby like me can see. Maybe they'd be fine in isolated instances, but combined they just make the game completely unpalatable. When they said the 8f thing was intentional, I had to stop even pretending I still support the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
Was SF4 like this at the start? Then the next version it picked up popularity?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Microwaves Mom posted:

no but realize that there had been a long drought of new capcom fighting games before sf4 so the thirst level from the public at large was much higher for a fighting game

old heads still shat on it but i dont think the general consensus was as bad out the gate as it is for SFV, im probably mis-remembering how bad it actually was though

boxcarhobo fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 17, 2016

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
I don't know what to think about the 8 frame situation.

If they're actually telling the truth about 8 frames being intentional and just went on radio silence about it for no reason, that would mean that both community managers from the US and JP were misinformed when publishing their latest blogs and don't know anything about their own product (which is stupid, but believable). I can't imagine it actually being intentional though, the delay is just so extreme.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

boxcarhobo posted:

no but realize that there had been a long drought of new capcom fighting games before sf4 so the thirst level from the public at large was much higher for a fighting game

old heads still shat on it but i dont think the general consensus was as bad out the gate as it is for SFV, im probably mis-remembering how bad it actually was though

the difference is probably the number of new people it attracted in terms of competitive players
from what i have seen sf5 has not done that at all whatsoever
so there's probably an equal amount of dudes who hate it but no gap filler in terms of new competitors

and even if there was, that number is significantly lessened by their really lovely everything involving the netplay and community management

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Fereydun posted:

the difference is probably the number of new people it attracted in terms of competitive players
so there's probably an equal amount of dudes who hate it but no gap filler in terms of new competitors

and even if there was, that number is significantly lessened by their really lovely everything involving the netplay and community management

I also think the barrier of entry to the competitive scene has increased significantly, with the amount of info we have nowadays and with the genre not being half-dead like it used to be before SF4. So a lot of people try to get in, get bopped because the average scrub (at least to me) is better than they used to be, and as you said there's not enough new players to fill that gap.

Plus F2P competitive games are all the rage nowadays, people expect stupid amounts of SP content if they're dropping $60 on a game, it seems.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Microwaves Mom posted:

when they switched from Games for Windows Live to Steamworks it sucked for a few months

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

when they switched from Games for Windows Live to Steamworks it sucked for a few months

That was one of the things that made me take a break from SF4, they kinda sorta broke Ranked for a while.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
the one thing besides training mode they kinda got right.

Crossplay.

That had to be a US idea cause no way capcom JP would ever be that open minded.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Microwaves Mom posted:

the one thing besides training mode they kinda got right.

Crossplay.

That had to be a US idea cause no way capcom JP would ever be that open minded.

Crossplay is dope and if it's implementable I don't see any reason to divide your playerbase. I think Mike Z was looking into adding crossplay to SG (PC/PS3), but they hit some development issues and had to drop it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

I enjoyed the hell out of this.

Sick! Thats DOPE
Aug 1, 2008

Oh sick man thats sick

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I've seen so many really hardcore SF players just abandon this game completely, it's really sad.

It was obvious in the first week of retail what would happen after a few months. They missed their chance to get a League/Hearthstone/App game style grind system in place to keep some casual interest, and on top fo that we already know not a single other thing was executed well. Even if you like the gameplay, which I don't but I've given the game more than its share of time to keep up with some of my local tournament buddies; but even if you like the gameplay there isn't a compelling online structure in place. I didn't play for 2 weeks because of life and hopped on the other day, kept getting booted from lobbies i joined. Made a lobby and got disconnected within a few seconds of waiting. How long has this been out? 5 months? It is a gross and sad release of my most favorite series.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Microwaves Mom posted:

Street Fighter IV was an instant hit with the FGC. Though mostly because it had to be.

You have to realize that prior Street Fighter IV the FGC (specifically the 2D FGC) was in the "Poverty Era". Not only did Capcom not make any legitimately new games for an almost decade period, but everything released was either mediocre , hilariously low budget, or just not released at all. Guilty Gear was the only exception to this, but the game was too different for the Western market which was used to either footsie based titles or combo heavy games. Airdashers was a very unique thing so many didn't except it. This is why you rarely see Guilty Gear players in their 30s.

Prior to Street Fighter IV being announced everyone was playing four games: Third Strike, Marvel 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, and Super Turbo. What's worse is that only one of those games wasn't declining in popularity (Third Strike). People were convinced that Capcom would never made a sequel to Street Fighter. At the time 2D fighters was an extremely niche genre with next to no games being released. Think 3D fighters today, but only if Dead or Alive and Tekken sold a fraction of their current sales. When Capcom teased Street Fighter IV nobody believed it. They were burned way too many times with winks toward a new entry just being a re-release. When the game was announced everyone flipped their poo poo and the rest is history.

Everyone immediately jumped on Street Fighter IV because there was literally no other alternative besides Third Strike (which was the previous entry and too different), Marvel vs Capcom 2 (which was declining in popularity), Capcom vs SNK 2 (which was on life support at the time), and Super Turbo (which was mainly played by the hardest of the hardcore).

Fereydun posted:

The game constantly breaks enrollment numbers where ever it goes. 4,000+ at EVO and 640 at Combo Breaker is nothing to sneeze at.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 17, 2016

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Street Fighter IV was an instant hit with the FGC. Though mostly because it had to be.

You have to realize that prior Street Fighter IV the FGC (specifically the 2D FGC) was in the "Poverty Era". Not only did Capcom not make any legitimately new games for an almost decade period, but everything released was either mediocre , hilariously low budget, or just not released at all. Guilty Gear was the only exception to this, but the game was too different for the Western market which was used to either footsie based titles or combo heavy games. Airdashers was a very unique thing so many didn't except it. This is why you rarely see Guilty Gear players in their 30s.

Prior to Street Fighter IV being announced everyone was playing four games: Third Strike, Marvel 2, Capcom vs SNK 2, and Super Turbo. What's worse is that only one of those games wasn't declining in popularity (Third Strike). People were convinced that Capcom would never made a sequel to Street Fighter. At the time 2D fighters was an extremely niche genre with next to no games being released. Think 3D fighters today, but only if Dead or Alive and Tekken sold a fraction of their current sales. When Capcom teased Street Fighter IV nobody believed it. They were burned way too many times with winks toward a new entry just being a re-release. When the game was announced everyone flipped their poo poo and the rest is history.

Everyone immediately jumped on Street Fighter IV because there was literally no other alternative besides Third Strike (which was the previous entry and too different), Marvel vs Capcom 2 (which was declining in popularity), Capcom vs SNK 2 (which was on life support at the time), and Super Turbo (which was mainly played by the hardest of the hardcore).

The game constantly breaks enrollment numbers where ever it goes. 4,000+ at EVO and 640 at Combo Breaker is nothing to sneeze at.

:psyduck:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

lmbo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Didn't Tekken 5 come out during the drought and basically reinvigorate the Tekken name after 4 hosed with it or did I imagine that?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Fereydun posted:

can someone pinpoint the moment when punk rebel ecks went from 'clueless guy asking about basic details of games' to noted historian and expert i stopped paying attention

thats a fair point about registration numbers though

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I don't give a poo poo. Laugh at me. Laugh all you want. This is what I remember during that time.

Baal posted:

Didn't Tekken 5 come out during the drought and basically reinvigorate the Tekken name after 4 hosed with it or did I imagine that?

Yes. That's why I stated this was exclusive specifically to the 2D FGC. The 3D FGC was fine with Tekken, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive (though I believe this game was heavily shunned), and Virtua Figther.

Fereydun posted:

thats a fair point about registration numbers though

This isn't me being "clueless" this is from what I remember at the time. Maybe it was inaccurate because it was almost ten years ago, but I clearly remember everyone hating any game that wasn't those four games and everyone always complaining every game was declining in popularity that wasn't Third Strike. I also remember seeing a bunch of people playing Tekken 5 and Soul Calibur 3 at the arcade while the 2D fighters were collecting dust.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

liked, didn't 3d fighters, anime fighters, and smash all basically experience the birth of their popularity during the capcom drought?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I remember when HDR came out and everyone loved it.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

NecroMonster posted:

liked, didn't 3d fighters, anime fighters, and smash all basically experience the birth of their popularity during the capcom drought?

punk rebel ecks posted:

You have to realize that prior Street Fighter IV the FGC (specifically the 2D FGC) was in the "Poverty Era".

I don't remember anime fighters getting love during that period.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Guilty Gear and Blazblue aren't 2D fighters, you heard it here first

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

hdr was an ok game, mostly it had a bunch of development problems and wasn't out for long before sf4 was out, that and not really being st but more like st2:sirloin edition

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

NecroMonster posted:

i thinik tekken and VF were big before 3rd strike, right? i'm old and need help

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

i thinik tekken and VF were big before 3rd strike, right? i'm old and need help

Tekken 3 was legit bigger than Third Strike could've ever hoped to be

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Baal posted:

Guilty Gear and Blazblue aren't 2D fighters, you heard it here first

I'm being completely honest here. Did you read my post? I addressed this.

EDIT - This isn't me being a dick, I'm just curious why some of my messages aren't getting communicated.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

people get sort of tetchy when someone ignores the existence of non-capcom fighting games

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Serious question: Why do so many people dislike me on here? Or at least that's the impression I get.

NecroMonster posted:

people get sort of tetchy when someone ignores the existence of non-capcom fighting games

I played Guilty Gear back then. Lots of other people didn't. Again there is a reason why people hate when people ignore non-capcom fighting games., because it was very common practice not all that long ago.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Sfv is gonna be back to sf4 numbers by this time next year unless they fix everything about online because no new blood is gonna come in otherwise.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

punk rebel ecks posted:

Serious question: Why do so many people dislike me on here? Or at least that's the impression I get.

Join the Discord if you haven't already.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

bhsman posted:

Join the Discord if you haven't already.

What's the link?

EDIT - NVM found it.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 17, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Baal posted:

tekken 5.0 was a mess and was only good because it didn't throw everything people liked about tekken into the dumpster like 4 did

both games were basically "pick one of two characters or lose"

e: casually it did really well though so I guess nothing I just said matters, even if tekken more or less instantly died among casual players after that game

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jun 17, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm being completely honest here. Did you read my post? I addressed this.

EDIT - This isn't me being a dick, I'm just curious why some of my messages aren't getting communicated.

I was making a snipe, loving breathe. Nothing you are saying is inherently disagreeable, but that because it's poo poo that's been said time and again. Like no loving poo poo, Capcom games were the most played games around the time. But it also feels silly to try and separate Guilty Gear like the communities didn't have much crossover or GG was a special snowflake when really its playerbase turnout wasn't that big.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
sf4 popularity was because regardless of how much people poo poo in its direction, it was a complete game on release.

You may not prefer it but it had what it was down from the get go. characters like sagat did eventually change but by contrast viper didn't receive changes besides an additional ultra until ae or ae 2012.

The drought of fighters helped too.

Most importantly, internet multiplayer on console gaming changed drastically.
Pick up a ps3 or 360 and add your friend join lobby.
no need for emu's no need to visit an arcade etc.

Sf5 is incomplete competitively and casually
There are other options
fighting games are actually like semi-recovering after late ps3 had nearly 10 semi active fighters out at once (sf4, tekken, uniel, BB, GG, smash, (multiple at once), umvc3, persona, skulls girls, sf xx tk {LOL} ) people definitely bought trash games and stopped playing months later during this period.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

the sfv hype was real despite people on SA seeing the beta flaws. the world at large was ready to love the game until it launched with no arcade mode

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

the sfv hype was real despite people on SA seeing the beta flaws. the world at large was ready to love the game until it launched with no arcade mode

Im fairly sure everyone notices the zeny shop not being ready 4 months in
lack of character variety
lovely ranked mode
lovely match making
lack of story that isn't 3 drawings long
artificially lengthening unlocking by putting colors per costume behind survival
adopting a f2p model for characters for a game released less then a full year after its beta began. (technically speaking less than 8 months but whos counting right)
online not working on launch after having betas that were 'only for networking purposes'

its not just the lack of arcade mode. simplifying it to that glances beyond he things even tom dick and harry can see after an hour.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's very possible

That people just don't actually care about Street Fighter in 2016 as much as they did in 2008

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

lots of people still think the only reason sfv is bad is a lack of content, like, "the gameplay is fine" is a thing people are still saying.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Baal posted:

It's very possible

That people just don't actually care about Street Fighter in 2016 as much as they did in 2008

And we are literally giving reasons why they aren't interested.
Im confused.

if people just bought the series for the name the sales would have been better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

SectumSempra posted:

Im fairly sure everyone notices the zeny shop not being ready 4 months in
lack of character variety
lovely ranked mode
lovely match making
lack of story that isn't 3 drawings long
artificially lengthening unlocking by putting colors per costume behind survival
adopting a f2p model for characters for a game released less then a full year after its beta began. (technically speaking less than 8 months but whos counting right)
online not working on launch after having betas that were 'only for networking purposes'

its not just the lack of arcade mode. simplifying it to that glances beyond he things even tom dick and harry can see after an hour.

:yeah: :same: