Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Flumbooze posted:

I'd say it's going pretty steady so far.

Sometimes I really miss this game, the housing was so loving good.

The raiding was good once you got through all of the nonsense that makes you "raid ready".

I could see how runing alone would burn people out though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Flumbooze posted:

No nothing solid yet, but it's just that WildStar used NCSoft coins since it went F2P, then suddenly they use Protobucks. Apparently that's for the Steam release, but people still found it pretty weird especially considering how bad it is doing.

I really wish someone would buy it and just relaunch it like FFXIV.

Final Fantasy 14 had the clout to get relaunched because it's part of the favorite IP series of a Major Publisher. Say what you will about the quality of the later games in the series, the 1.0 launch of 14 was the worse Final Fantasy game by far. Bad enough to taint the name of any Final Fantasy game going forward, so they had some financial incentive to unfuck it and re-release it to not tank the whole brand.

I don't think anybody like nor cares about Wildstar enough to pay for the FFXIV treatment. Also aside from that, I can think of about 3 other games I would rather see get XIV-ed first.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013

Rhymenoserous posted:

The raiding was good once you got through all of the nonsense that makes you "raid ready".

I could see how runing alone would burn people out though.

Yeah, apparently, but like you say if you weren't in an active guild that sort of knew what they were doing it was pretty hard. Especially since dungeons (and the challenges you needed to complete to be able to raid) weren't exactly easy, especially with pugs.

DeathSandwich posted:

Final Fantasy 14 had the clout to get relaunched because it's part of the favorite IP series of a Major Publisher. Say what you will about the quality of the later games in the series, the 1.0 launch of 14 was the worse Final Fantasy game by far. Bad enough to taint the name of any Final Fantasy game going forward, so they had some financial incentive to unfuck it and re-release it to not tank the whole brand.

I don't think anybody like nor cares about Wildstar enough to pay for the FFXIV treatment. Also aside from that, I can think of about 3 other games I would rather see get XIV-ed first.

Oh I know, this is just wishful thinking on my part. I'm not excepting anything, it just would be nice.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

DeathSandwich posted:

I'd play a CoH 2 that learned from the mistakes and successes of other MMOs.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Rasmussen posted:

There's only one server now right? I mean it's not breaking any records, but there will be people to play with.

In my experience, there actually arent. The longest I waited for an expedition to pop was thirty minutes before I gave up. I asked in zone chat if the LFG was broken or something and was informed that no one bothers with expeditions because they arent worth the time. Everyone playing is progressed well past expeditions and adventures and the incentive to queue for randoms is so low that no one bothers.

Its a mess. I suppose I could shop around for a guild willing to help me gear up, but Id rather play the game a bit and decide if its worth actually playing to before going through the trouble of finding a guild that I can tolerate/can tolerate me. Considering how abysmally bad the community of this game has been I think Id rather go play something else rather than wade into that particular pool of poo poo.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Unguided posted:

Meanwhile in an alternate universe, City of Heroes is seeing its most profitable year yet as superheros enter the mainstream fully and gain peak popularity.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
When I played briefly (in Feb), nobody did expeditions or adventures and out of the 6 dungeons, the 2 protogame ones were disbanded at start.

Spider2414
Apr 17, 2013
That's basically the issue now. Quite a few people want to try the game, but when nobody even bothers to do anything but raid (and even for that there are only a couple of guilds), then most people just don't bother.

gangnam reference
Dec 26, 2010

shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot shut up idiot
i had 90min queues for protogames, whatever the town adventure is, and stormtalon's lair. so no, nobody really does them

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Solution: collapse all endgame currencies to elder gems, eliminate the elder gem weekly cap, boost dungeon & adventure XP significantly, make the socket rerollers & extra socket items buyable with elder gems, make good runes buyable with elder gems.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Like making all end-game currency stuff for both PVE and PVP come from XP that you can earn doing anything was such a great idea, one of the biggest disappointments was that they backed off of it

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

30.5 Days posted:

Solution: collapse all endgame currencies to elder gems, eliminate the elder gem weekly cap, boost dungeon & adventure XP significantly, make the socket rerollers & extra socket items buyable with elder gems, make good runes buyable with elder gems. play another game.

FTFY

also why did they have more than two endgame currencies? There was like 1 tier of raiding and pvp, what else did you need?

Also to be fair to wildstar, at least it's not black desert online.

LITERALLY MY FETISH fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jun 16, 2016

Pryce
May 21, 2011

Valatar posted:

Whoever they paid to do their initial trailers did a really good job; if they'd kept those writers and voice actors on to provide actual character to the characters, I'd have put up with the foibles in the combat system for a fun story.

Those videos were done 100% in-house (aside from the original reveal trailer, which was Blur). The people writing/creating those videos were 100% artists/animators (even marketing wasn't involved until very late in the process), so while they were amazing at making the trailers, they had no control over design elements of the game.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Unguided posted:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Meanwhile in an alternate universe, City of Heroes is seeing its most profitable year yet as superheros enter the mainstream fully and gain peak popularity.

Stop making me cry for things that will never be.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
"But the emblem system ruined WoW!"

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

"Welfare epics are for casuals and this isnt a casual game"

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CoffeeBooze posted:

"Welfare epics are for casuals and this isnt a casual game"

Naturally the guy who was asked to explain why poo poo landed the way it did w/r/t elder gems was Mike "Raiding For Raiders" Donatelli who basically went "CAN YOU IMAGINE IF YOU COULD BUY MIDRANGE PVP GEAR BY SAVING ELDER GEMS YOU GOT FROM RAIDING?! CHAOS!!"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I feel like at this point the game would be too old to attract anyone but longtime CoH players, even if it were still going.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like at this point the game would be too old to attract anyone but longtime CoH players, even if it were still going.

I can only imagine the horror of particle effects that Omega-tier Incarnate raiding would be.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

The Moon Monster posted:

No longer content to just stomp on real dreams, The Moon Monster has taken to stomping on hypothetical dreams.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

A good superhero MMO could possibly do well now with all the marvel etc movies and stuff in the mainstream. CoH would probably be a bit too long in the tooth to attract a large community though - it would have to be something more modern in features and qol.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Rasmussen posted:

A good superhero MMO could possibly do well now with all the marvel etc movies and stuff in the mainstream. CoH would probably be a bit too long in the tooth to attract a large community though - it would have to be something more modern in features and qol.

Marvel Heros and Marvel puzzle quest has proven people will play bad grindy poo poo with the marvel name attached, there is no reason why an updated form of DCUO couldn't work.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Marvel Heroes seems to be doing quite well now days, although it got off to a rocky start. There probably is room for a modern super hero MMO.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Rasmussen posted:

I always feel like being the heckler in the house whenever someone pines for CoH. It was developed by Cryptic which is like the king of the shovelware MMO developers, the game wasn't that good. I'd go so far as to say that literally the only thing worth a poo poo about CoH was the customization, because gameplay was janky as hell (Because again, cryptic).

It's like when I start whining about SWG NGE experience. I know drat well that it was kind of a meh game but the age it was released in was full of "Meh" games.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Rhymenoserous posted:

I always feel like being the heckler in the house whenever someone pines for CoH. It was developed by Cryptic which is like the king of the shovelware MMO developers, the game wasn't that good. I'd go so far as to say that literally the only thing worth a poo poo about CoH was the customization, because gameplay was janky as hell (Because again, cryptic).

It's like when I start whining about SWG NGE experience. I know drat well that it was kind of a meh game but the age it was released in was full of "Meh" games.

Cryptic gave a talk at gdc after champions released explaining that they wrote their own database from scratch and that was a really smart idea and everyone should do it because SQL doesn't work for games. I still wanted to work on games at the time so I got to hear both the bewildered and worried questions from the onlookers and some premium shade from a MySQL guy at a conference a month later

Orv
May 4, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

I had way more fun than I really should have doing sewers and group content in general in that game.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 17, 2016

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
CoX was "come for the MMORPG, stay for the Goon Squad."

Also once Cryptic left and Paragon Studios took over, gameplay improved quite a bit. It was never a world-beater or anything, but the various pieces smoothed out and became a lot more fun. Being able to stroll up to groups of yellow mobs and kill them all with one attack was the best feeling ever.

Wildstar: We'd Really Rather Talk About Any Other MMO, Living or Dead.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.

30.5 Days posted:

Cryptic gave a talk at gdc after champions released explaining that they wrote their own database from scratch and that was a really smart idea and everyone should do it because SQL doesn't work for games. I still wanted to work on games at the time so I got to hear both the bewildered and worried questions from the onlookers and some premium shade from a MySQL guy at a conference a month later

This sounds like a story I want to hear the full version of. If nothing else it might explain why all the current Cryptic games have a half second lag on just about everything ever when no other game does.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

General Maximus posted:

This sounds like a story I want to hear the full version of. If nothing else it might explain why all the current Cryptic games have a half second lag on just about everything ever when no other game does.

I don't have much more to offer except a video of the talk: https://channel9.msdn.com/Blogs/Dan/Shannon-Posniewski-SQL-Considered-Harmful-for-MMOs

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
Oh hey there's a blog post from 2011 where he asks people not to watch the talk and tries to piggyback on the bourgeoning nosql trend while bragging about his "nosql" db being acid.

http://foamtotem.org/2011/20110617_9_034818.html

quote:

Database Admins were not amused by my thesis that relational databases weren't a great choice for game data such as ours. They said that all the problems I pointed out could be solved by carefully-planned schemas, server-side procedures, and subtle tweaking of the parameters of MS-SQL. They were probably correct, but that wasn't the point. The point is that we didn't want to do any of those things.

quote:

It worked out well.

quote:

everything works, but sometimes had awful performance characteristics.

quote:

The magic seemed really cool until we kept getting hit with the performance issues.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
CoH1 would've been too old to sell well by this point, at least without a game-wide graphical overhaul that would've been CoH2 basically.

Though if someone isn't working on what Champions was originally supposed to be - a true CoH-like Marvel MMO - then Marvel is utterly clueless.

Also, I still hope the future holds good things for you, Cyster. :ohdear:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

SpaceDrake posted:

CoH1 would've been too old to sell well by this point

Not sure why people think this. People still play Champions Online and that game is utter and complete trash. I cannot overstate how totally loving bad Champions Online is. People still play Ultima Online and Everquest and those games are probably older than you.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

There's a bit of a difference between "sells well" and "still played by 2700 53 year olds".

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
There are likely more people playing time lock eq servers than wildstar.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I'd be curious to see the numbers for Project1999 next to WildStar's.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Not sure why people think this. People still play Champions Online and that game is utter and complete trash. I cannot overstate how totally loving bad Champions Online is. People still play Ultima Online and Everquest and those games are probably older than you.
Having tried it again recently: No, people do not play champo. It is a ghost town that's been on content-dry maintenance mode for years.

Which is a shame since it is trash but still had some good ideas. Non-unique character names is a something every loving MMO needs.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jun 20, 2016

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

SpaceDrake posted:

CoH1 would've been too old to sell well by this point, at least without a game-wide graphical overhaul that would've been CoH2 basically.

Though if someone isn't working on what Champions was originally supposed to be - a true CoH-like Marvel MMO - then Marvel is utterly clueless.

Also, I still hope the future holds good things for you, Cyster. :ohdear:

Marvel's MMO came out, it's called Marvel Heroes and it abandoned the generic MMO formula in favor of a Diablo style multiplayer game where you play as Marvel characters. It actually had (still has?) some CoH people working on it.

There's something like 60 distinct character classes in it now and they're basically all viable. It's not make-your-own-hero stuff but Marvel never wanted that. Even Cryptic's Marvel game was "play as marvel characters". That was never going to be a thing.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Kelp Plankton posted:

Marvel's MMO came out, it's called Marvel Heroes and it abandoned the generic MMO formula in favor of a Diablo style multiplayer game where you play as Marvel characters. It actually had (still has?) some CoH people working on it.

There's something like 60 distinct character classes in it now and they're basically all viable. It's not make-your-own-hero stuff but Marvel never wanted that. Even Cryptic's Marvel game was "play as marvel characters". That was never going to be a thing.

I guess Marvel's MMO came out while CoH was still running and was called Marvel Ultimate Alliance. Who knew?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kelp Plankton posted:

It's not make-your-own-hero stuff but Marvel never wanted that. Even Cryptic's Marvel game was "play as marvel characters". That was never going to be a thing.
Yeah, the big open secret of licensed superhero MMOs is that even if one comes to fruition it will be ever as open ended with chargen as CoH/ChampO because the companies are absolutely obsessed with their IPs. I'm pretty sure DCUO only has character creation mostly out of force of MMO habit, and even then it's incredibly rudimentary in comparison and focused around "don't you wish you were <feature character>'s sidekick, up to and including wearing their pants??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I think DCUO's character creation totally owns. You just unlock the majority of costume options through gameplay. Walk around for five minutes in a populated area and you'll see tons of awesomely creative stuff. I was able to recreate almost all of my City of Heroes characters pretty accurately.

• Locked thread