Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 367 days!

The Colonel posted:

isn't it free dlc though

iirc they said they did it for disc space reasons

I dunno, the full game is like 7GB so maybe its not a disc thing?

Its like IF has forgotten who plays their games

e: Im downloading the dlc now and boy am I mad about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Separate audio tracks as free dlc is good

I wanna keep that harddrive space down!

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I have to assume its a rights thing. Or maybe they have to pay less if it's downloaded through Sony's servers or something.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Nier looks so good, loved everything about that boss battle

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

HGH posted:

I have to assume its a rights thing. Or maybe they have to pay less if it's downloaded through Sony's servers or something.

Honestly this is the simplest answer. Audio licensing is always a nightmare.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

First off, Renne's bossfight can gently caress right off. It opens with her S-Craft, which is a potential middle finger waved right in the player's face instant-kill move. First attempt and it caught everyone but Estelle while Renne's droid buddies just :rolleyes::fh: their way to a party kill by plinking her health off with Gorgon Lasers. Second attempt it only took Tita out, so I actually managed to swing a win.

This is why you equip accessories that prevent deathblow, silly. Those status effect resistance things exist for a reason, you know.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Nep's dub is good though.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

hey guys i just started playing Gothic 1 and im only about 5-10 hours into it but i think it may be objectively better than Morrowind

just figured id shared that opinion

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh my god, this just reminded me of a fight in Cold Steel with Laura and Fi vs. Rean and Machias (pretty sure these details will invalidate the spoiler bar but whatever), where one enemy has high speed and can open with an S-Craft and the other has an area of effect petrify Craft. If the AI goes early and rolls either of those moves, you just lose instantly. (If it rolls a few other moves you're probably hosed, too.)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

LaTex Fetish posted:

hey guys i just started playing Gothic 1 and im only about 5-10 hours into it but i think it may be objectively better than Morrowind

get this: gothic 2 is even better

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Linnaeus posted:

Nier looks so good, loved everything about that boss battle

Yeah, it looks fantastic. I still can't believe we'll get a Yoko Taro game with good gameplay and framerate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Caphi posted:

Oh my god, this just reminded me of a fight in Cold Steel with Laura and Fi vs. Rean and Machias (pretty sure these details will invalidate the spoiler bar but whatever), where one enemy has high speed and can open with an S-Craft and the other has an area of effect petrify Craft. If the AI goes early and rolls either of those moves, you just lose instantly. (If it rolls a few other moves you're probably hosed, too.)
actually those party members have exactly as much craft meter as you left them with, meaning you can go into the fight with them as 0 craft and just blitz them down.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Oh I made it past eventually, I'm guessing it was a combination of S-breaking and getting lucky with Flash Grenade.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

of course not, hank hill doesn't have a butt

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Do I need to have played Megadimension Neptunia 1-6 to understand the story of VII? I don't want to get lost in the rich lore of Nep Nep and the console wars or whatever.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LawfulWaffle posted:

Do I need to have played Megadimension Neptunia 1-6 to understand the story of VII? I don't want to get lost in the rich lore of Nep Nep and the console wars or whatever.

Megadimension Neptunia Victory II (also the 7th mainline game released if you count the Vita remakes as separate games) is a direct sequel to Neptunia Rebirth 3/Victory and some critical characters to that game become involved. Neptunia Rebirth 2/Mk.2 is also in the continuity, but can be summed up as Nepgear saves her sister Neptune and kills the Arfoire in the main universe

They never mention anyone by name and there's plenty of fourth wall breaking to introduce the characters so it's not absolutely required.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Amppelix posted:

This is why you equip accessories that prevent deathblow, silly. Those status effect resistance things exist for a reason, you know.

You mean the thing that isnt used by any other enemy there, or any other prior enemy in the game, so you have zero awareness that it's coming?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Well, you did say that you tried again, and lucked out with only one death. You can save anywhere, and you know the boss is coming, so you can just save, enter, see the gimmick, and load the save for better preparations.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I am going to ask here just because I can't quite tell with this game: I'm trying Neptunia Rebirth 1 right now and should I assume all of these "other Neptune" references are just something added for this remake, or was this really a game where in the original, a tits-out boxer with "Tekken" on a chain around her neck showed up in the middle of the story just to go "Hey, yo, we cool! See you later" and then vanished?

Also I feel like this game's systems are a tire fire but I really enjoy some of the writing. This is not what I expected.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The characters that are obvious company references were originally DLC in the previous games, so they show up as a "Oh hey it's that character" multiverse cameo thing before they join you again later.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Gotcha. It was sort of hard to tell given that it feels like I'm wrapping up the story now (runnin' around Lastation with Blanc), but those cameos kept tripping me up.

Tekken was easily the dumbest design I've seen so far, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You mean the thing that isnt used by any other enemy there, or any other prior enemy in the game, so you have zero awareness that it's coming?

literally every SC dungeon whose boss has an ailment gimmick will hand out the right protection items for you

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 17, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

LaTex Fetish posted:

drat straight. Gothic 2 is also amazing.

Don't play Gothic 3

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Pro tip: for best results, use joy2key or something to set up a controller to play Gothic with. It was originally designed as a ps1 game (though it never made it to consoles), and that's why it controls so strangely.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

gothic 3 is ok once you add some patches but its still a huge disappointment if you come to it from 2 and is utter garbage vanilla

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really Pants posted:

literally every SC dungeon whose boss has an ailment gimmick will hand out the right protection items for you

I think they're talking about Final Fantasy 10.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Really Pants posted:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

is this supposed to happen....

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

RareAcumen posted:

Is this a joke or

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

GulagDolls posted:

if it isn't, it should be. guard scorpion should keep showing up at random times throughout the entire game, and then the final boss should be sephiroth riding it.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME

GulagDolls posted:

That's the scene where Cloud meets Zack's old girlfriend, Guard Scorpion. Looks normal to me.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Guard Scorpion is going to catch holy hell.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Serious Frolicking posted:

if it isn't, it should be. guard scorpion should keep showing up at random times throughout the entire game, and then the final boss should be sephiroth riding it.

The Guard Scorpion as the Pursuer. FF8 got a little closer with the Dollet scene.

Megadimension Neptunia VII is ridiculous. My eyes were rolling pretty much non-stop during the opening, and when the voice over read VII as "Vee Two" I lost all hope. Lots of boobs, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i mean, megadimension neptunia VII is, in fact, hyperdimension neptunia V2. it is the sequel to hyperdimension neptunia victory

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
hyperdevotion noire is probably still the best one for ridiculous character designs though

davidHalestorm
Aug 5, 2009

Motto posted:

Nep's dub is good though.

Agreed, Melissa Fahn deserves an award for her commitment to a very silly script. Also, Japanese voice is a free dlc, at least in PS4.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the character designs in neptunia. they're colorful and fun and sometimes can tie into a studio they're meant to represent in cute ways

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

davidHalestorm posted:

Agreed, Melissa Fahn deserves an award for her commitment to a very silly script.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqNg6zaE5a4&t=73s

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

davidHalestorm posted:

Agreed, Melissa Fahn deserves an award for her commitment to a very silly script.

Holy poo poo, is that the truth.

I think the thing that is selling me the hardest so far is that every time I think "aww, they're finally out of targeted jokes, these are just skewering cliches", there will be some new very focused jab which gets me laughing all over again. Currently it is "Oh my god there are enemies which can only be a direct middle finger to Otomedius".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
About Chrono Trigger, I remembered playing it for a bit and I'm looking at playing it again. I only got till the robot factory section though.

Questions: DS or SNES, and does the things you do in the fair do anything other than influencing the court scene later on?