Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

MasonF posted:

Alright, I'll take some more photos of it once the shop is all set up next week. Needs some work, but I may be able to arrange a start.

What is the purpose of that roof scoop? At least on the Mclaren F1, my assumption is that it feeds the engine, but in this case It seems unnecessary unless it is being used to somehow feed the rear diffuser or cool the brakes, or something else? I guess it could provide airflow to that differential(?) oil cooler, but that seems excessive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

um excuse me posted:

How high off the ground do you think the back wheels of the bug would get in an emergency braking scenario?

Trick question, the beetle has such poo poo suspension and tires all four wheels lose adhesion the instant you touch the middle pedal.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Slim Pickens posted:

Someone enjoyed that 70s beetle camper video.

If you've somehow never seen it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56XL0TysIn0

What struck me about that video was the quality of the review. Also the sensible advice. Truly the golden age of television

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

xzzy posted:

Trick question, the beetle has such poo poo suspension and tires all four wheels lose adhesion the instant you touch the middle pedal.

That's why they stuck with drums for so long. Why have anti-lock when you can have anti-stop?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Clearly the extra downforce from the trailer would just give the tires more braking traction. :smug:

MasonF
Aug 22, 2005

these bitches r kicking me?wow wook wookfuk u

MetaJew posted:

What is the purpose of that roof scoop? At least on the Mclaren F1, my assumption is that it feeds the engine, but in this case It seems unnecessary unless it is being used to somehow feed the rear diffuser or cool the brakes, or something else? I guess it could provide airflow to that differential(?) oil cooler, but that seems excessive.
Looks like brakes, possibly. I'm out of town (Vegas) so I can't get any more detailed pictures right now. I'll probably get some more next week, with an actual camera this time.

MasonF fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 16, 2016

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
Looks like the radiators are in the back.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Somebody imported a HiAce??

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Mr-Spain posted:

Looks like the radiators are in the back.

There's a radiator flat mounted in the front also. Might be oil/trans coolers?

I'm going to assume the side ducts are for the brakes.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

CharlesM posted:

Somebody imported a HiAce??

If you're in Washington, you should be seeing a lot more of those/Mitsu Delicas now that they're 25 years old. They've been pretty popular up in BC

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

slothrop posted:

What struck me about that video was the quality of the review. Also the sensible advice. Truly the golden age of television

I've just realised: where are the electrical connections to these trailers?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cakefool posted:

I've just realised: where are the electrical connections to these trailers?

Clockspringed at the ball hinge?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Looking at different pictures of the callaway thing it seems that the coolers got moved around a bit depending on the car. Those are definitely two radiators for coolant in the back and I think that particular one does not have a front radiator. That would really improve aerodynamics as well as weight distribution.

here you can see one car with the rear radiators and another without them:
http://www.callawayownersgroup.com/COTM/2007April/cotm.htm

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kimbo305 posted:

Your mom got clockspringed at the ball hinge.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Godholio posted:

Your mom got clockspringed at the ball hinge.

A good post.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Octopus Magic posted:

There's a radiator flat mounted in the front also. Might be oil/trans coolers?

I'm going to assume the side ducts are for the brakes.

Sure the front isnt an intercooler?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kimbo305 posted:

No they're pretty clearly running up the drivers side from the hood to the hitch and plug into the trailer, along with the safety chains. They're not meant to spin round and round in 'highway' use.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Preoptopus posted:

Sure the front isnt an intercooler?

This car has a front mounted radiator:

This one has them in the rear:

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I'm surprised Calloway didn't consider moving the front radiator. GM switched from sucking air up from the bottom to pulling it in from the front because of the lessons they learned racing the C5-R.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Seems like sucking air right off the blacktop would be less than ideal.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

The inlet for the radiator there is still on the front, above the splitter/front diffuser.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Must be the owner's seeing eye dog.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

That kei van. :3:

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Seat Safety Switch posted:

:wow:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

:lol:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

fyodor posted:

THAT kei van.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

fyodor posted:

A few pages back I posted 2 original AC Shelby Cobras on one street and no one cared but a Kei van... My priorities are all hosed.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Preoptopus posted:

A few pages back I posted 2 original AC Shelby Cobras on one street and no one cared but a Kei van... My priorities are all hosed.

I assume all Cobras are replicas. I don't hate, actually love them and appreciate them as hand built cars, but not that special.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Preoptopus posted:

Oh dang let me make sure to like a thing in the correct way. (Cobras are cool, though, I agree!!!)

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

http://baby-cobra.com/archives/gallery/baby-cobra-gallery

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
I trolled and I am sorry. The man with a beard wearing shorts next to me was sweating pretty hard so that was my reference point.

I want to believe.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Jonny Nox posted:

THAT kei van.

I will forever want one of these... :allears:

Diahatsu Mira walkthrough van.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
So this thing is coming up for sale at Pebble Beach in August:

quote:

Presented at the 42nd Turin Motor Show, the 1960 Abarth 1000 Bialbero Record Car La Principessa is one of the most remarkable designs ever conceived by Italian coachbuilder Carrozzeria Pinin Farina. Built on behalf of Fiat-Abarth, the shape was developed utilizing the wind tunnel at Turin Polytechnic University, with the sole goal being to create a car that would break the world record for highest sustained speed over the longest period of time. Pinin Farinas masterful hand achieved just that and more. With a drag coefficient of just 0.20, La Principessa went on to set nine world records including 10,000 kilometers with an average speed of 118.7mph, as well as 72 continuous hours at an average speed of 116mph. This unrestored car has been with the same private owner for decades and is being offered for public sale for the first time.

Estimate upon request.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Good day for my phone to go full potato but you don't see a lot of these in SoCal.

I also saw a license plate on a Smart Car that read "O THIT" (from the 80's era plates) but that picture was completely unusable.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Preoptopus posted:

I assumed at least the second one was fake, it has what looks like Mustang wheels on it? They're both too clean looking anyways.

Honestly, I don't really go nuts about 427 Cobras anymore, because they've been kitted up so much that it doesn't matter if they're real or fake.

Narrow body 289 Cobras/hard tops are much more interesting.

OR BOTH:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

The scale of this thing is really confusing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's pretty close to exactly the same size as a real Cobra so I'm not sure how it earned the "baby" designation. They just made this one a bit more curvy in spots, gives it a bit of a chubby look but it looks cool.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It's not the engine that's scary in a Cobra, it's the wheelbase

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
What happened to that one goon that was given a cobra replica by his boss? :ohdear: