Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 41 minutes!

Why do they put that middle fader in? No one even touches it after they drop it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
I'm starting to veer towards a Schecter V for sure now, because I like the idea of string-through-body + ornamentation on the fretboard. I like the ESP's for bang for the buck, but I don't like just the dots on the fretboard - I really like something there like blocks/traps/squiggles/anything even though I probably should only be concerned about how it sounds. Same problem with the GIbson V's - just dots.

Schecter has a decent looking ( although only an EMG 57/66 combo ) V for $700 ( USD ):

http://www.schecterguitars.com/guitars/platinum/v-1-platinum-2014-12-10-detail

But I forgot that they partnered w/ Zakk Wyde for his guitars ( to distribute? what does that mean - do they build and ship them? ) and this looks pretty good to w/ an 81/85 for $999 ( USD ):

http://wyldeaudio.com/shop-all/viking-flametop.html
http://wyldeaudio.com/guitars/viking-v/viking-pinstripe.html ( this hurts my eyes, so it is tempting )

But I'm not sure if I want to drop $1000 USD ( nearly $1300 CAD :smith: ) on a Zakk Wylde guitar, although just buying those EMG's alone is like $300 so I suppose maybe it evens out.

Actually I just googled an EMG 81 vs 57/66 and I think I actually prefer the 57/66 - although since I don't know poo poo about poo poo, that could be just being influenced by YouTube comments. Either way, they both sound great so that's another point for the Schecter V.

The comparison video if anyone cares: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yERwTDWZuU

TollTheHounds fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 15, 2016

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

AlphaDog posted:

This just happened and I'm frightened:

Should I post a thread here about trying to build it, or would it be better over in DIY/Hobbies?

That reminds me... I need to finish my tele build....

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
So I've been playing guitar for around 18 years and I've never owned a serviceable acoustic. I've always owned lovely $2-300 jobs that warp like crazy, have terrible playability, and generally sound not very good.

Im strongly considering the Martin DRS2 as a purchase. It doesnt have a lot of pretty dressy bits, but this is going to be a guitar I play at home and in my yard. Its one of the better sounding and playing all wood guitars I've played in that price range.

Any negatives from anyone thats played the Road series Martins? Anything else I should be considering? Im pretty sold on it, just looking for some reassurance before I pull that $800 trigger.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 16, 2016

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

All Martins including the made in mexico ones are awesome. I can't see a reason to avoid them as long as they're what you want.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

So I've been playing guitar for around 18 years and I've never owned a serviceable acoustic. I've always owned lovely $2-300 jobs that warp like crazy, have terrible playability, and generally sound not very good.

Im strongly considering the Martin DRS2 as a purchase. It doesnt have a lot of pretty dressy bits, but this is going to be a guitar I play at home and in my yard. Its one of the better sounding and playing all wood guitars I've played in that price range.

Any negatives from anyone thats played the Road series Martins? Anything else I should be considering? Im pretty sold on it, just looking for some reassurance before I pull that $800 trigger.

I looked and and tried dozens of acoustics because like you, I had been playing for years and only sort of kind of bothered with acoustics and bought a lovely £150 one - but I wanted something better.

So after trying loads I settled on Martin Road series DRS1 - No frills as you say but that's the whole point, it's solid sapelle (African Mahogany) and it's just wonderful:

It's warm sounding and so mellow if played softly, it stood out a mile from all the other guitars I tried. It just has this incredible warmth to it. Fishman pickup is great and everyone who picks it up falls in love with it.
I cannot recommend them enough. I'm playing my second ever unplugged gig tonight and cannot wait :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Martins are incredible guitars and I recommend whatever they have in the $350 to $550 range or whatever your budget.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I think the DRS2 is the same as mine but just a spruce top?
I'm playing mine now, it's pretty addictive. I am a fan of the stratabond necks as well, I think they look great and they are stable as gently caress

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
For those of you who do home recording with acoustics, how often do you use the pickup vs micing it up? I just purchased baby's first real condenser and am going to start experimenting, but I figured I'd get pros/cons from you guys first, other than the obviousness of being able to control the room by taking a direct track.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fullroundaction posted:

For those of you who do home recording with acoustics, how often do you use the pickup vs micing it up? I just purchased baby's first real condenser and am going to start experimenting, but I figured I'd get pros/cons from you guys first, other than the obviousness of being able to control the room by taking a direct track.

I do a line out from my amp and also mic it up and record both at the same time - that way I have two takes with slightly different qualities that I can tweak. I put the mic near the 12th fret.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Two questions:

1) Got a cheapo Tele, and am now starting to figure out how I may need to set it up myself. Is there any good reason that the 6th string's saddle has one height screw not in use, or is that a mistake that I should go ahead and fix now?

2) After getting some aches in my picking hand/wrist and realizing I need to significantly decrease my tension and adjust my thumb position, I'm now getting some pain in my picking wrist. I've had this sensation before playing guitar, and it could well have something to do with my job that requires quick repetitive hand motions, but it's probably not a coincidence that it's flaring up after I've started playing guitar. What could I be doing wrong there? And should I take a break until the pain goes away?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
1. Yes fix it
2. if it starts to hurt stop playing

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

It could be the angles you're putting into your arm and hand to line the pick up with the strings. Try experimenting with guitar height, your pick angle and where you pick on the guitar, see if you can find something with less severe bends

Also it might be your technique - picking/strumming is really handled by your whole arm (including muscles on your back) and not just the hand. Strumming is more of an elbow thing, waving your forearm up and down at a generally constant speed. Picking uses more of the arm but the movements tend to be very small, especially if you're being really economical. Basically just make sure you're relaxed and not locking your arm so your hand and wrist have to do all the work

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Has he tried standing and playing?

Put on a guitar strap and stand and play.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

peter gabriel posted:

I do a line out from my amp and also mic it up and record both at the same time - that way I have two takes with slightly different qualities that I can tweak.

I wish I was this smart.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fullroundaction posted:

I wish I was this smart.

I suck with the DAW side of things but it was pretty easy once I set up the ins and outs in Cubase, now my amp is always plugged into one channel and a mic in the other, once you have it set up it's nice and easy :)

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
No I know /how/ to do it, I'm just mad that I didn't think /to/ do it.

I guess that's the point of asking questions though :buddy:

e: Ebay is doing NO FEES on selling guitars throughout the month, if anyone needs to get rid of stuff, now is probably a good time.

fullroundaction fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jun 16, 2016

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Captain Apollo posted:

Has he tried standing and playing?

Put on a guitar strap and stand and play.

Yeah, I've been sitting and resting my elbow against the body of the guitar. Could be causing problems.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

fullroundaction posted:

No I know /how/ to do it, I'm just mad that I didn't think /to/ do it.

I guess that's the point of asking questions though :buddy:

e: Ebay is doing NO FEES on selling guitars throughout the month, if anyone needs to get rid of stuff, now is probably a good time.

Oh well then you'll have a load of fun with it.
For example, I needed to record a glockenspiel so plugged a mic into my amp and that went direct to my interface and also had a condenser miced up to the glockenspiel as well, once it's all set up you may as well :v:
I then did things like experiment with my pedal board, so the glockenspiel was going through delays, fuzz, whatever. On my amp if I leave it in standby the line out works but it disables the speakers, so no bleed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I heartily recommend wah glockenspiel

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Yeah, I've been sitting and resting my elbow against the body of the guitar. Could be causing problems.

Honestly I would just get a lesson from a local pro. Even just 1 lesson so they can tell you what you're doing wrong.

I do a lesson every other month ( sometimes paid, sometimes with a friend who I probably SHOULD pay ) or so just to make sure I'm not getting any REALLY bad habits and to get ideas on what direction I should work on since I'm so green.

The only time I've ever had pain-pain while playing was 6 months ago when I was trying to do 5-fret patterns and found my knuckles getting sore. I think it's a REALLY BAD sign if your wrist or arms are hurting during/after playing if it's anything other than that sort of post-gym "I just worked the poo poo out of my muscles and they're a little sore" pain.

I have a friend who has been playing for 20 years, majored in guitar, records/sells his music, and he had a bad habit with his posture/technique that he never bothered to correct - he would always end up getting pain in his right wrist. A few years ago, it got to the point where he literally couldn't even hold a guitar pick or a pencil or anything. He had to learn to wipe his rear end with his left hand, it was that bad. It's better now but it has taken him 5 years to get to about 75% of where he used to be in terms of picking speed, and he still has a weak grip in general.

Don't mess around with guitar pain!

rio
Mar 20, 2008

baka kaba posted:

They're called suspended chords, before this gets too purple monkey dishwasher

In this case you have to call the chord a sus2. If you just see sus (which, yes, is short for suspended) it is referring to the 4th. So Csus would be C, F and G whereas Csus2 would be C, D and G (or C, G and D for the voicing that was being discussed earlier). The term "suspended" refers to the 3rd of the chord being suspended to the 4th (suspend meaning to raise or hang something - the 3rd is being raised to the 4th). In traditional theory sus2 is not even a thing but in popular music we all know it to mean the 3rd is being replaced by the 2nd. :eng101:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dsus2 is the best open chord, theory can suck it!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
I don't often play sus2 chords but I arpeggiate them a lot. Like really, a lot.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Open D major just sounds too cheesy, but sus2? Now that's smooth

And then you can slide it to other positions but that's a whole other thing

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
A sus2 chord is responsible for an instrumental song being banned from radio.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Sounds like a creative writing scenario

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumble_(instrumental)?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

I thought that was a D5?!

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

It's the only instrumental song of which I know that was banned from radio, although it's usually the title which is blamed.

gently caress it, ima go listen to Link Wray anyway.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

baka kaba posted:

Open D major just sounds too cheesy, but sus2? Now that's smooth

And then you can slide it to other positions but that's a whole other thing

This is good to do.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Normally my play time is pretty limited/sporadic so when I get a chance I just pick up and go without really messing around with my amp/presets.

I had spare time for once last night so I actually got around to trying out all the different effects ( and actually learning how to save my adjustments to presets and stuff ) and holy poo poo was it fun.

This thing has a SYNTH effect and it was so loving funny trying to play a lovely E minor pentatonic solo with it that I wasted like 30 minutes doing just that.

It even has a decent Wah effect as well and while it's no CryBaby I'm sure, it was still pretty fun and very customizable even within each effect ( delay and so on ).

Now I'm trying to think of how best to use these effects - what is the best song to try and play with Wah? What song could I butcher by using Synth? ( Keeping in mind that Synth only really works for single note songs, no chords obviously ).

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Run it through an octaver before the synth and learn some Orgy and Deadsy songs?

What is it you're using? Is it the kinda moogy "baaaooooowwww" closing filter sound"?

I've been jamming out stuff like the Terminator theme recently, maybe play along to some synthwave like Perterbator (French guy who used to do black metal).

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Electric Funeral is probably an easy song for Wah and could sound good with some creepy synth tones layered in there.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

NonzeroCircle posted:

Run it through an octaver before the synth and learn some Orgy and Deadsy songs?

What is it you're using? Is it the kinda moogy "baaaooooowwww" closing filter sound"?

I've been jamming out stuff like the Terminator theme recently, maybe play along to some synthwave like Perterbator (French guy who used to do black metal).

It's a Peavey Vypyr VIP 1, this is the only example I could find - about 2 seconds in this demo video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8tJHrpEXAQ&t=258s

That's an older model ( and a VIP 3, not the "1" that I have ) but it's close enough I think.

I don't have the Pedal - yet - I wasn't going to bother originally just because the only benefit seemed to be the built-in looper ( but then the looper is only 30 seconds ) but I think you can live mod stuff like the synth and wah with it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Synths like that are quite similar to auto-wah, does it track your dynamics as well as your notes?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
trying to figure out where my guitar is from. can't quite figure it out

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

muike posted:

Cheap Chinese crap :shakefist:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

muike posted:

I don't know but it seems that your control cavity cover was made in Japan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008
Probation
Just finished up the drums on this one and want to post it for some critiques. The kinda drastic style change about halfway through was from writers block where I couldn't figure out what to do after 4:15 and then everything just kinda came to me one afternoon and the rest of it wrote itself in an hour.

https://soundcloud.com/lfranco321/office-space