Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Thom and the Heads posted:

i played one prime game with some teens and immediately went back to playing overwatch
The only Overwatch I need is the one that gives me XP. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
The level 21 requirement will help for sure, that's a good chunk of time to level to just to grief. I think prime will be nice after a few vac waves and such.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Only issue is that level 21 requirement is a pretty big gently caress you to new players if the amount of smurfs in non-prime queue is going to be disproportionately higher thanks to this stuff.

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

gigawhite posted:

Only issue is that level 21 requirement is a pretty big gently caress you to new players if the amount of smurfs in non-prime queue is going to be disproportionately higher thanks to this stuff.

Didn't they increase the rate you acquire xp though?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of XP, I just went to play competitive mode and it said I can't unless I get a higher rank. I'm at rank 1, I guess you lose your levels/experience over time in this game? I haven't played much CS:GO in at least a year, but I used to play competitive a lot, have a good 52 hours on steam.

Looking at my achievements they're mostly from 2013 and 2014, guess it's been a while. I've played 1566 rounds etc. Guess I'll have to play ye olde casual mode for now.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Heavy Metal posted:

Speaking of XP, I just went to play competitive mode and it said I can't unless I get a higher rank. I'm at rank 1, I guess you lose your levels/experience over time in this game? I haven't played much CS:GO in at least a year, but I used to play competitive a lot, have a good 52 hours on steam.

Looking at my achievements they're mostly from 2013 and 2014, guess it's been a while. I've played 1566 rounds etc. Guess I'll have to play ye olde casual mode for now.

You don't lose your levels or experience, but that feature was implemented since the last time you had played if it's been that long. Scrap casual and knock out demolition or arms race.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

metallicaeg posted:

You don't lose your levels or experience, but that feature was implemented since the last time you had played if it's been that long. Scrap casual and knock out demolition or arms race.

Sounds good. The two casual games I just played were hilariously bad, people spamming keybinds of racist text messages etc.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's level 2 now, for normal match making. Level 21 or a Service Medal for Prime match making. I don't think anyone will care

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

The Ferret King posted:

It's level 2 now, for normal match making. Level 21 or a Service Medal for Prime match making. I don't think anyone will care

yeah and new players get a big exp boost. So basically, new players will get the relatively same matchmaking weve had since forever, and prime accounts get the slightly longer to reach prime pool which, until the next vac wave, is gonna be relatively the same matchmaking weve had since forever.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
How do I "git gud" at this game?

I'm tired of being so bad.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
adderall and hating yourself

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
What if I already do those things and still am no gud?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
arfjasons epic guide to getting good at csgo:

coordinate buys with your team
crosshair at head level at all times
play a lot of matches
learn a couple smokes per site, some are more important than others
learn to handle the first 10 bullets in a spray
play a lot of matches
from those games try to learn what the common holding spots are
no really, play lots of matches

congrats you are better

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

henne posted:

If you're serious, time and playing in a team. And not everybody gets good in the end.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
oh i forgot, always play with a volume that lets you hear footsteps, and make calls.

there are a trillion other things that will help you but they are mostly consequence of positioning, aiming/spraying, calls and smokes

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Jeza posted:

And not everybody gets good in the end.

thats the secret and imo the thing most people get blindsided by is that you never get good, there is no such thing as being good only being better or less frequently stupid

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

henne posted:

believe in yourself and the power of friendship

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx

Jeza posted:

If you're serious, time and playing in a team. And not everybody gets good in the end.

I'm on a team, how do I leverage this into getting gud? I made it to lem but feel like I've peaked already.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Buy a new mouse and spend more time messing with the settings than playing

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

henne posted:

I'm on a team, how do I leverage this into getting gud? I made it to lem but feel like I've peaked already.

Work harder :)

Thats always the only way

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

henne posted:

Playing in a league/ladder and playing better teams, learning maps one by one which usually ends up in learning smokes/flashes. Unless you are a superstar, generally speaking the more conservative playstyle is the overall winning one. Learning to read the game, communication, teamwork etc. is what will end up making you win games. Most of it comes over time.

You can always post a demo I guess. Any rank under Global and you'll probably have identifiable issues (although I can't guarantee that if you have broken hands you'll ever be truly gud.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Thanks Gamma case drop last night, you netted me 11.31 steambux.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
watch pov demos of pro players and actually study them

that is the secret non-playing work that nobody actually wants to do but can be super helpful when you feel you've peaked

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Who do you watch? Also how do you get good at maps during the season, it's hard to play enough during the maps week to make any real improvements. Got tips for demo reviews? Do you go into a game with the plan to work on X for the whole game?

Maybe I'll post a demo from a recent match.

stump collector
May 28, 2007
i've played around 100 comp matches and i'm well over the level requirement, it's not that bad

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

henne posted:

Who do you watch? Also how do you get good at maps during the season, it's hard to play enough during the maps week to make any real improvements. Got tips for demo reviews? Do you go into a game with the plan to work on X for the whole game?

Maybe I'll post a demo from a recent match.

A week is usually good enough to be refreshed on a map, nades and angles-wise, and to establish some go-to strats for your game. Scrimming against teams on that map and stealing their ideas is the best practice. I dunno if leagues today are easy to get scrims on, back in the day we used IRC to search for team games. Probably not how most people roll these days.

Demo review tips? Ignore games you win, focus on understanding why you lost. So long as you get on well with your teammates, it's good to make corrections to their play. Usually you'll find bad habits that cost you rounds. It can be surprising to see what your own teammates are doing while you are still alive in a round. And as I mentioned, don't just focus on your own play, or even just your team's play, it's a good idea to see how your opponents played and what worked for them. Sometimes you'll find they just got some insanely lucky timings, but equally they may have some cool tricks to steal.

Yes, sometimes. Like hitting A site over and over to practice getting it just right. But more often we'd come into a game with 3-4 strats for T side and a couple for CT (both pistol rounds 100%) and then just try them out, make corrections. Players would usually have assigned positions to pick and personal nades to take care of. I always picked Apps on Inferno, and would nade balc/molly dark. I'd work in a pair with another teammate to come in through balcony and up stairs at the same time.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
for example in my very important mm game we just tied, we could have won if we hadnt all died to the enemys team strategy of putting 2 ppl in cubby

the lesson i've learned is that cs is stupid

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

ArfJason posted:

arfjasons epic guide to getting good at csgo:

coordinate buys with your team
crosshair at head level at all times
play a lot of matches
learn a couple smokes per site, some are more important than others
learn to handle the first 10 bullets in a spray
play a lot of matches
from those games try to learn what the common holding spots are
no really, play lots of matches

congrats you are better

No, this is poo poo, here's a better guide:

1: buy p90
2: w + mouse1 + jump
3: bind f "say your just bad"

Works best with a statrack p90 skin so you can keep track of all the 'noobs' that you 'own'.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
MSL and Cajunb just havent been able to hit awp shots all week. Its sad.

Edit: Spoke too soon, holy poo poo.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Xenaero posted:

I wish they did those finishes with the bowie knife. But I'm being greedy I suppose.

I agree totally, but OTOH there is only one item in the entire case I dislike and they made Guts look good, so...

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Is the demoui window the best way to interact with recordings? It seems so bad and slow.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

No, this is poo poo, here's a better guide:

1: buy p90
2: w + mouse1 + jump
3: bind f "say your just bad"

Works best with a statrack p90 skin so you can keep track of all the 'noobs' that you 'own'.

:razz:

FetalDave
Jun 25, 2011

Moumantai!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8YNLDMAvPQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mpsRf0BTag

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

The Ferret King posted:

Is the demoui window the best way to interact with recordings? It seems so bad and slow.

As far as I've been able to deduce, yes. And yes. :(

Rite Of Massage
Aug 16, 2005

that special feely kinda feel when your just bad
feelsyourjustbadman.tiff

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Can someone explain to me how mixwell knew where the dude was at the end of this round? He says something about the body blocking his view not being his(???). So insaaaaaane. Linking the whole round.

https://www.twitch.tv/godazed/v/72495231?t=04h42m26s

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Client side body ragdoll resting at the top of the stairs. It fell different for mixwell

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
Oh. I thought it was some crazy series of deductions he made by seeing that body there. Although I guess that also demonstrates knowledge of the game mechanics that he realized Dazed didn't see him.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

I don't get this outrage on reddit over the new sounds when your gun is almost empty. I've played almost a dozen games since the change and there's been zero moments where it's changed the outcome of a duel or round, at least from my perspective. It really wasn't that loud even before they reduced the noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

I haven't played since they turned the sound down which I think happened at some point in the middle of the night but yesterday evening I thought it was distractingly loud and couldn't they have gone with something a little bit more subtle.