Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

Mikojan posted:

Isn't the 980Ti a flat out better card though?

Mine is I would think, it's a EVGA FTW that boosts to 1400mhz. It's mostly for the much lower power consumption and the fact that there was 1 left in stock ready to ship. I should probably just step up to whatever EVGA SC/FTW there is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

http://www.techpowerup.com/223450/asus-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-turbo

One wonders if the yield issues with the Strix has resulted in a panic 'not reference but not overclocked in any way' product.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

I'd be pleasantly surprised if the 480 could do that well overclocking, it doesn't really need to to be a good card that fits well in its price bracket. However, models that can crank the volts and clocks and go to the moon would explain Lisa talking about $100-300 even though the 8 GB version is 250 or less. Either that or preempting NV pricing.

Alchenar posted:

http://www.techpowerup.com/223450/asus-announces-the-geforce-gtx-1080-turbo

One wonders if the yield issues with the Strix has resulted in a panic 'not reference but not overclocked in any way' product.

That says either parametric yield issues or that they just want something to fit in the bottom of the price range without cannibalizing their factory OC models.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 17, 2016

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

There's probably a good reason why AMD made a seemingly last-minute switch to Samsung's fabs for Polaris.

*Global Foundries, which licensed the 14nmlpp from samsung. Who knows if that includes any process or equipment improvements, though...

Watermelon Daiquiri fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Jun 17, 2016

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

GF and the WSA. If they can get viable chips from GF it makes no sense not to.

They're trying to sell it as being pretty much the same.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Mikojan posted:

Fuckers at alternate raised their prices for the 1080GTX by about 5%. Almost feel bad that I cancelled my "cheaper" pre-order. Bleh

This is the first time I'm on the first row during a GPU launch and frankly I'm not enjoying it.

I saw this last night but wasn't sure if I wanted to post more unsubstantiated FUD, but...

http://www.tweaktown.com/news/52650/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-stock-improve-until-late-july/index.html

quote:

Now we've had an industry source tell us that there won't be a huge flood of GeForce GTX 1080 cards, from all partners, until late July or even early August. This makes sense, but it also means that the price gouging that is happening now, will continue - and could even get worse. The EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 is selling for $1999 on Amazon right now, which is absolutely nuts.

Anyways, I'm right there with you. I'm remembering one of the reasons I don't buy these things as frequently as I imagine myself doing sometimes.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ijyt posted:

I hate how they had to streamline everything because "it was too complicated before :cry:". I hate how I've had more bugs in two months of use than I've had in the previous two decades. I hate the unnecessary data collection. I hate how useless cortana is.

you can't complain about data collection AND cortana being useless. the function of anything like cortana or siri or "ok google" is reliant on data collection. people have this doom and gloom idea that microsoft is collecting user data for the sole purpose of I guess selling it to advertisers? and that's just silly and ignores how software works in 2016.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
So I decided to make a bad decision:

Motherfucker is heavy compared to the ol' MSI 970 4G. Anyone have a comparison or benchmark with the 970 they want done before I put this into place?

And yes, the "Super" is a nice little sticker on the box :v:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Icept posted:

Motherfucker is heavy compared to the ol' MSI 970 4G. Anyone have a comparison or benchmark with the 970 they want done before I put this into place?

Yes can I get a normal screenshot of Tracer's rear end with the 970 then the same screenshot with the 1080 using ansel at 51 million pixels ? I'm interested to see how many more pixels that is, and can you put that in a bar graph

(Lol loving the sticker)

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Icept posted:

That is a huge card.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Can you take a picture of it with a banana for scale?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Really want a side girth shot as well

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Happiest 1080 lol

Side girth I think???

Tracer rear end is still WIP

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
:lol:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Icept posted:

Happiest 1080 lol

:allears:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Dats big.

I got an email from Amazon advertising great deals on tech and it was all third party sellers selling 1070/1080s for 900-1600.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Alright, these 10-series cards supply issues are just getting ridiculous. We're what, two weeks in now, and NOBODY has loving any?

I'm starting to think that there are some kind of yield issues going on over at TSMC that nobody's talking about.

Use nowinstock and order one today. Newegg seems to be getting daily stock.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I finally managed to at least get a backorder in on an EVGA 1070 ACX3.0 off Amazon this morning. Dunno when I'm actually going to get it, but at least it takes some of the pressure off sniping listings on Newegg for the 2 minutes they show up.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Use nowinstock and order one today. Newegg seems to be getting daily stock.

The 1080 non-FE nowinstock seems a bit like an illusion, at least for me. I get nowinstock notifications constantly for G1s, but they are either sold out when I get to the site or removed from my cart almost instantly. I think they are listing very small quantities of stock. I could probably set up visualping or distill I guess. The only thing that I've seen hang around for a while was that MS card at $720, which was available for an hour and a half or so.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
That's a sexy no-nonsense card :allears:
I like my Maxwell Palit Jettie too, though those were red instead of silver.

averox
Feb 28, 2005

:dukedog:
Fun Shoe
The 1080 stock is nuts. It's like others have said here. If you aren't there at the moment it becomes available and have your login details and your payment details saved then you likely aren't getting it. I was somehow able to buy a Gigabyte 1080 G1 during a lull at work last night even though it isn't my preferred choice. I even saw the Strix in stock but the moment I added it to my cart it was OOS. For some reason I didn't get a text alert about this and only noticed it because I had missed out during another G1 stock alert that was gone in less than a minute.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The 1080 non-FE nowinstock seems a bit like an illusion, at least for me. I get nowinstock notifications constantly for G1s, but they are either sold out when I get to the site or removed from my cart almost instantly. I think they are listing very small quantities of stock. I could probably set up visualping or distill I guess. The only thing that I've seen hang around for a while was that MS card at $720, which was available for an hour and a half or so.

Take a look the history around 8:00 PM EST last night - I got my mind set on a 1080 and have been stalking a bunch of sites for a few days or week or whatever now and the best batch I've seen yet came in then. Newegg put up a few batches of the $650 gaming model and one batch seemed to stay up for 15-20 minutes, by far the longest I've seen orders stick on there. I heard a ding on the Strix model at Newegg and successfully placed an order, seemed like a 5 minute or so window it was available. I wanted a ~$590 cheapest as possible model but the craziness around supply and a Rift sitting here unused drove me to it. gently caress Nvidia for doing the ~*Founders*~ pricing cause whatever their reasons there's no way it didn't help spike the prices on these things. First time for me to not just buy the $100-200 model from a generation or two back though so this is gonna be prettty :pcgaming:

UntunedGuitar47
Nov 21, 2008

Icept posted:

Hey Super Jetstream buddy, got mine today and am just done with installing it. Now I'm gonna take it for some rides, hell yeah. :respek:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

teh_Broseph posted:

Take a look the history around 8:00 PM EST last night - I got my mind set on a 1080 and have been stalking a bunch of sites for a few days or week or whatever now and the best batch I've seen yet came in then. Newegg put up a few batches of the $650 gaming model and one batch seemed to stay up for 15-20 minutes, by far the longest I've seen orders stick on there. I heard a ding on the Strix model at Newegg and successfully placed an order, seemed like a 5 minute or so window it was available. I wanted a ~$590 cheapest as possible model but the craziness around supply and a Rift sitting here unused drove me to it. gently caress Nvidia for doing the ~*Founders*~ pricing cause whatever their reasons there's no way it didn't help spike the prices on these things. First time for me to not just buy the $100-200 model from a generation or two back though so this is gonna be prettty :pcgaming:

I think the $1800 1080s would have happened either way just due to the supply constraints.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Fedex man just delivered my Zotac 1080 FE a few minutes ago. This is going to be a long workday.

I'm happy at least that the Doom demo has a few more days left. It'll give me a chance to max or all settings at 4k and give it a go.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I hope the 480 launch in 12 days is nothing like this NVidia farce.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lungboy posted:

It'll probably be a lot more funny (worse).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lungboy posted:

There's been half a dozen reports of people recieving copies that "fell off a back of a truck" around Europe so I think stock will be alright if they have enough to steal from

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
Non-FE 1080/1070 cards won't start appearing until August, right? I want to get a 1070 but it's $600 CDN and gently caress that.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Stanley Pain posted:

It'll probably be a lot more funny (worse).

If it isn't that'd be impressive. NV's targeting a high margin space. AMD's making a play straight for volume.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Lungboy posted:

Considering its the only $200 new card available, and looking at the benches (good), remember past releases (not good, although for wildly various reasons), perhaps mix in financial considerations for a large pre-release inventory on a new process ...

I wouldn't be shocked if availability was low

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

ETPC posted:

Non-FE 1080/1070 cards won't start appearing until August, right? I want to get a 1070 but it's $600 CDN and gently caress that.

They've already started appearing, they just sell out within 5 minutes. As far as being able to just go to a site and purchase it, yeah probably not til August.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

ETPC posted:

No? Most stores have non-FE listed, just very supply limited. I ordered a Gigabyte 1080 G1 from NCIX yesterday that was supposedly in stock.

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Ended up getting the 1080 FTW yesterday and played around with it. Overclocking, I was able to get it stable at 2050 Mhz, with no artifacts. The card stays cool really easily though, and even when the fans do turn on they are pretty quiet. Using this with the Rift is simply a dream, no choppiness at all, and I never dropped below 60 frames on Elite Dangerous with max settings.

I think I need a new case though, since the card just BARELY fits in length wise (it's actually touching the drivebays), and I have a old case with non-removable drive bays.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Convinced NowInStock is trolling me, alerted me to an MSI 1070 being in stock at Newegg, I went within a second and it was still on Auto-Notify. :argh:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think that nowinstock uses polling that's not as frequent as you might expect. Or maybe it takes a while to dispatch all the notifications. PEople have mentioned seeing visualping notifications minutes before getting the text or mail from nowinstock.

E: Also this evga acx 3.0 1070 just went up for preorder on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01H74VTBK/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems kind of expensive at $420, though

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 17, 2016

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Convinced NowInStock is trolling me, alerted me to an MSI 1070 being in stock at Newegg, I went within a second and it was still on Auto-Notify. :argh:

I saw it go into stock for a few minutes on the Newegg site but it didn't last long. I didn't buy one as the Gigabyte is cheaper and supposedly coming back in stock today.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Its kind of sad, the G1 was one of the premium marked up model last time around. They didn't change the price difference this time, but its now basically the cheapest on 1070s. I wonder if AIBs are price gouging on 1070s due to FE msrp or if the chips just cost too much to make the more traditional pricepoints (since it doesn't appear to be the case for the 1080s)

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005
Weird. Looks like actual clocks on ASUS and MSI cards are lower than what was sent out to reviewers.

http://videocardz.com/61121/asus-and-msi-accused-of-sending-modified-cards-to-the-press

Also looks like there will be two STRIX cards, in $430 and $450 variants.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/asus-rog-1070/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Its kind of sad, the G1 was one of the premium marked up model last time around. They didn't change the price difference this time, but its now basically the cheapest on 1070s. I wonder if AIBs are price gouging on 1070s due to FE msrp or if the chips just cost too much to make the more traditional pricepoints (since it doesn't appear to be the case for the 1080s)
If yields are actually this bad, they should probably have a 1060ti waiting as a response to the RX 480 that's made up of a larger amount of runt GP104s, that is, if the chip would actually run with that many disabled components.