Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I hope Harry Ord wears his dumbass bumblebee suit more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

You have yet to see the true power of Harry Ord's fashion sense.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That's exciting.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hello thread. I've recently been given Gundam SEED Destiny as a late birthday gift. I've heard it's bad but how bad is it? Is it boring bad or nonsensical/entertaining bad? I'm also guessing it doesn't work as a stand alone.

On a side note, I've been watching some UC Gundam with a friend and he wants to watch more. The thing is he likes to watch dubs where possible. As the only dubs I've seen so far are for the 70's anime and Gundam wing, I don't know what else to reccomend.

Are there any Gundam English dubs worth reccomending/avoiding?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gundam has a pretty good track record with dubs, even the worst Gundam dubs are still watchable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nyeehg posted:

Hello thread. I've recently been given Gundam SEED Destiny as a late birthday gift. I've heard it's bad but how bad is it? Is it boring bad or nonsensical/entertaining bad? I'm also guessing it doesn't work as a stand alone.

On a side note, I've been watching some UC Gundam with a friend and he wants to watch more. The thing is he likes to watch dubs where possible. As the only dubs I've seen so far are for the 70's anime and Gundam wing, I don't know what else to reccomend.

Are there any Gundam English dubs worth reccomending/avoiding?

Gundam 00 has a good dub and a great first season. The second season's not bad either, just very badly handheld into mediocrity. Iron-Blooded Orphans also has a dub that's just starting to air in the US, I think?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nowhere as bad as people here are making it out to be. Unless you're some sort of hardcore Tomino fan you should be quite entertained. I would recommend you watch SEED before GSD as alot of the events won't make much sense otherwise. Avoid the dub at all cost as they are terrible and you will miss out of the all star Japanese cast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

oohhboy posted:

Nowhere as bad as people here are making it out to be. Unless you're some sort of hardcore Tomino fan you should be quite entertained. I would recommend you watch SEED before GSD as alot of the events won't make much sense otherwise. Avoid the dub at all cost as they are terrible and you will miss out of the all star Japanese cast.

The SEED dub is a masterpiece just for Rau La Cruset. And Kira's ball-kicked anguish :colbert:.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx

oohhboy posted:

Do not listen to this man. GSD wildly flies between hilarious terrible and completely terrible after the decent start. Rau dubbed is amazing and single handedly puts GS dub above sub.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Gundams in terms of Dub Quality:
SEED/Destiny
08th MS Team
Wing
Zeta
MSG

I really didn't like the Mobile Suit Gundam dub. I blame the direction because I know all those VAs from other series and I know they're good. But the MSG dub just felt so...soulless.
Zeta's dub was surprisingly good considering it was done by the Canadian B Team "Blue Water." Tragically it looks like most of the VAs haven't returned but at least Four's voice-actress still does her.

I have to respectfully disagree with a couple earlier posters though. I think both Destiny and 00 Season 2 are horrific abominations that spit in the face of their far superior first series. Not such a controversial opinion with Destiny but a lot of people really say 00 S2 was "not bad, just different." I disagree completely. It didn't do anything good with any of the characters and it ruined the plot.

It did give us Bing Stabbity, though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chickenfrogman posted:

Do not listen to this man. GSD wildly flies between hilarious terrible and completely terrible after the decent start. Rau dubbed is amazing and single handedly puts GS dub above sub.

The SEED dub is extremely solid all around, and avoids many of the sub's infamous pitfalls. Dub Yuna is hilarious.

The 00 dub is OK, but has a weak script. They could have done a lot more work to make it sound like conversational English rather than translated Japanese. Scott McNeill's Ali al-Saachez is a lot of fun, though.

All other dubs are serviceable at least, with the exceptions of the Wing and G dubs, which are beloved for being amusingly janky in a way that fits those two shows' camp charm.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Gundam 00 has a good dub and a great first season. The second season's not bad either, just very badly handheld into mediocrity. Iron-Blooded Orphans also has a dub that's just starting to air in the US, I think?

Yes, it's Saturdays at midnight on Toonami. Tomorrow's going to be the third episode. Doesn't Build Fighters also have a dub?

Also fun fact about 00's dub: Tieria is voiced by Double D from Ed, Edd, n Eddy because it's a Canadian dub.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When I heard SEED's dub not only did I very quickly find the VAs terrible, I wondered out loud what the hell is wrong with their recording equipment. The dub is objectively terrible. If you want to listen to Rau La Cruset in English I would suggest you find his greatest hits. That said I almost always go for the sub for any language as I find almost all dubs just ruins the hell out of everything.

00 is trash throughout. If you what to see alot of shooting into the air and over used particle effects, this is the show for you.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

oohhboy posted:

objectively

You keep using this word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I really didn't like the Mobile Suit Gundam dub. I blame the direction because I know all those VAs from other series and I know they're good. But the MSG dub just felt so...soulless.
Zeta's dub was surprisingly good considering it was done by the Canadian B Team "Blue Water." Tragically it looks like most of the VAs haven't returned but at least Four's voice-actress still does her.

Weird, I'm kind of the opposite. The 0079 dub is just timeless to me, and the voices for Amuro, Bright, Kai, and Char are iconic to me for those characters, and I didn't like the replacements all that much.

Not to say I don't like the Zeta dub though, it's just not as timeless to me.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
MSG's dub loving rules, and anyone who thinks otherwise is objectively terrible.

:v:

EDIT: Seriously though, it would get passing grades for Char alone, but pretty much everyone on the main cast sounds great to me. If anyone sounds lackluster, they're probably fodder to begin with.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I always thought dub Ramba Ral was pretty awesome.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Weird, I'm kind of the opposite. The 0079 dub is just timeless to me, and the voices for Amuro, Bright, Kai, and Char are iconic to me for those characters, and I didn't like the replacements all that much.

Not to say I don't like the Zeta dub though, it's just not as timeless to me.

I think Amuro and Char's VAs really improved a lot by CCA and I was happy to hear them again. That's why I said I think it was a problem with directing.

When I said I missed the Zeta cast, I was thinking of Zeta original characters like Kamille. I don't think his original dub VA has voiced him in anything besides the show and Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam for the PS2. That's really disappointing to me.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Droyer posted:

Did you not read the preceding sentence? Forget the cast, they messed up the recording. Everybody sounds like their head is stuck in a box.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

oohhboy posted:

Did you not read the preceding sentence? Forget the cast, they messed up the recording. Everybody sounds like their head is stuck in a box.

people in here said they liked the dub. As such, it is not objectively terrible. Knowing what words mean is good.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Droyer posted:

people in here said they liked the dub. As such, it is not objectively terrible. Knowing what words mean is good.

I suppose I should respond by nitpicking the hell out of your lack of proper capitalisation? If someone likes a bullet to the head does it stop being objectively terrible? Push off.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
The difference here is no amount of proper capitalization can make your posts good. Also understanding context matters more in communication than than any sort of writing rules.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope he doesn't read poetry since he is going to run into all sorts of contextual issues.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
wing has general septum and on that merit alone it will always be the best gundam dub

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

oohhboy posted:

I suppose I should respond by nitpicking the hell out of your lack of proper capitalisation? If someone likes a bullet to the head does it stop being objectively terrible? Push off.

You continously post as though your opinion is the only one that matters/is reasonable for example here:

oohhboy posted:

you imply that anyone who dislikes GSD is doing that because they're a tomino fanboy. You always belittle all opinions other than your own and it makes you unfun to discuss things with and your posting incredible garbage.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

oohhboy posted:

I hope he doesn't read poetry since he is going to run into all sorts of contextual issues.

Good thing I was talking about communication and not poetry.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

So at episode 8, I feel like we've gotten the war into the swing of things and now the series is gonna be stories of the war like trying to get a moonman a cow.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

I always thought dub Ramba Ral was pretty awesome.

I think the Swaille and Kopsa are a really good amuro and char respectively. I also like Silverstein's protrayal of char in origin.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kuvo posted:

wing has general septum and on that merit alone it will always be the best gundam dub

Sound logic, hard to disagree.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I like how Poe's entire existence is to get clowned on in various ways.

Edit: WHAT.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I like how Poe's entire existence is to get clowned on in various ways.

Edit: WHAT.

Being Poe is suffering.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Kuvo posted:

Obligatory link.

When I was first shown this video, before I had even watched Wing, I literally couldn't breathe I was laughing so hard.

All thanks to those MORBL SOOTS FROM GUNDEENIUM ALLOY MADE IN OUTER SPAAAAAAAAACE!

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Droyer posted:

I AM LITERALLY GUNDAM

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Droyer posted:

You continously post as though your opinion is the only one that matters/is reasonable for example here:

you imply that anyone who dislikes GSD is doing that because they're a tomino fanboy. You always belittle all opinions other than your own and it makes you unfun to discuss things with and your posting incredible garbage.

If you want to pull me up that, fine, I would have apologised on the spot if you asked me about this instead of being snide. Don't hide it by being pedantic and asking for context when it is nothing more than a cover to an implied insult. I will apologise anyway as this de-rail has gone on long enough and no doubt the thread would like to move on.

I am sorry everyone.

The GIG posted:

Good thing I was talking about communication and not poetry.

Neither of us is communicating well unfortunately.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

GulagDolls posted:

I AM LITERALLY GUNDAM

Setsuna would have been so, so jealous of Mika and Ein.

Nyeehg
Jul 14, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the responses. Looks like with the possible exception of SEED, all the dubs are watchable. Good to know.

On an unrelated note, are the US Gundam blu Rays region locked or do they run on all blu Ray players? I know that Unicorn, Thunderbolt and The Origin are all region free despite what the box says but not so sure about Zeta and ZZ.

If they aren't locked, think I'll grab them as soon as possible as I have no idea if/when ZZ will come out here.

Kuvo posted:

Agreed.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I find that Quattro's voice actor for Zeta is really good for the character at that point. As Char, I'll go with the MSG, CCA voice actor. The Origin Dub is also surprisingly excellent.

Steve Staley is still overused and doesn't fit half the characters he voices. He is not the right choice for Shiro, he sounds too young and forced.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Considering Shiro was a fresh faced recruit I thought the voice was fine. To each their own though.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

I find that Quattro's voice actor for Zeta is really good for the character at that point. As Char, I'll go with the MSG, CCA voice actor. The Origin Dub is also surprisingly excellent.

Steve Staley is still overused and doesn't fit half the characters he voices. He is not the right choice for Shiro, he sounds too young and forced.
I'm curious as to how he'll handle McGillis in IBO's dub, since that's a more calculating and cunning character, let alone a supporting character/antagonist, compared to his previous roles of playing the Gundam protagonist (Shiro, Seabrook and Banagher).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

I'm curious as to how he'll handle McGillis in IBO's dub, since that's a more calculating and cunning character, let alone a supporting character/antagonist, compared to his previous roles of playing the Gundam protagonist (Shiro, Seabrook and Banagher).

Now I'm trying to imagine McGillis with the painfully earnest, idealistic teenager voice he did for Banagher, and I... my brain is breaking.