Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

That's not the reason people disliked that game though?

e: oh wait cyron :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I mean I'd be lying if I said I didn't really dislike nu-Dante, but yeah he wasn't the primary negative there or anything.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yardbomb posted:

I mean I'd be lying if I said I didn't really dislike nu-Dante, but yeah he wasn't the primary negative there or anything.

Yeah, nu-Dante is bad, but he could have worked fine if the writing had been better than Sniper-Rifle Abortion Including-ly bad. Or if the gameplay, while fine for a new franchise, wasn't a huge step back from DMC4 in basically every respect.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I Before E posted:

I don't see why he feels the need to dress like a Frank Miller neo-nazi.

He decided early on that his schtick would be "campy smug villain" (apparently in response to a lot of people getting mad about his opinions) and it got really popular.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

MrSlam posted:

And History Buffs reveals that his appeal against the copyright claim for his Agora video was rejected. He's a bit scared and doesn't know whether to fight it or not despite the fact he's clearly in the right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1hqh0P_2kM

I have some good news for you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ecE_6naE0A

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

MrSlam posted:

What about a Princess Peach game that behaves more like a 4X long term strategy? You have to manage the toadstool lords that reside over your provinces, appease the immigrant goomba population, and make diplomatic decisions with surrounding Koopa Kid controlled territories.

Oh, you want another platformer? No, you just want her to bake cakes for Mario. Okay.

One of those insanely complicated Middle Ages 4x games probably has a mod like that. Wasn't there a Zelda mod for one somewhere?

And I like Jim. His shtick is fun. And sometimes he says the stuff no one will say, especially when it comes to Nintendo.

He is right about Starfox, what was the point of that control scheme. If you could pick one or the other it would have been fine. Forcing you to use both just makes things frustrating.

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, nu-Dante is bad, but he could have worked fine if the writing had been better than Sniper-Rifle Abortion Including-ly bad. Or if the gameplay, while fine for a new franchise, wasn't a huge step back from DMC4 in basically every respect.

Agreed. I think DmC suffers from banjo-kazooie syndrome in that the game should have been it's own IP rather something that rides on a beloved franchise. The difference is that i think nuts and bolts was good enough to be a new IP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
New Dante might be terrible, but Donté on the other hand is amazing :allears:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
It amuses me to no end that so many people on that Jimquisition video comment section seem to have missed how he was being facetious in that opening rant for comedic effect.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

It amuses me to no end that so many people on that Jimquisition video comment section seem to have missed how he was being facetious in that opening rant for comedic effect.

He's got to be. If you can't bring yourself to like Vanquish with its rear end-first rocket boots, Anime Hillary Clinton and her giant microwave space laser, and Steve Blum playing the biggest gaybear support character Japan would allow to be in a AAA game, then you have no soul as far as I'm concerned :colbert:

Mad Lupine
Feb 18, 2011

all the things you said
running through my head

nine-gear crow posted:

He's got to be. If you can't bring yourself to like Vanquish with its rear end-first rocket boots, Anime Hillary Clinton and her giant microwave space laser, and Steve Blum playing the biggest gaybear support character Japan would allow to be in a AAA game, then you have no soul as far as I'm concerned :colbert:

Guy gave it a 4/10.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Interrupting vidja chat with a thing that is very, very 70s: a TV movie about an airliner in distress. Who’s going to get to land the plane in Mayday at 40,000 Feet!?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

echopapa posted:

Interrupting vidja chat with a thing that is very, very 70s: a TV movie about an airliner in distress. Who’s going to get to land the plane in Mayday at 40,000 Feet!?

Wasn't this the basis for Airplane?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

BigRed0427 posted:

there is ton of films in the 70's where people where in a disater in a plane, so airplane is more mocking that era of films. i may be wrong though if this movie is what inspire the film.

now i want to watch airplane and naked gun, what great films at the time.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MrSlam posted:

What about a Princess Peach game that behaves more like a 4X long term strategy? You have to manage the toadstool lords that reside over your provinces, appease the immigrant goomba population, and make diplomatic decisions with surrounding Koopa Kid controlled territories.

Oh, you want another platformer? No, you just want her to bake cakes for Mario. Okay.

I would unironically play Princess Peach Political Simulator. Or a kid friendly tower defence or RTS starring her.

Anything but that one awful Peach game they did make.

And yes Airplane is a general mockery of 70s airport films. There were tonnes with pretty similar plots

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jun 18, 2016

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Mokinokaro posted:

I would unironically play Princess Peach Political Simulator.

Long Live the Queen sort of fits that bill.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Max Wilco posted:

Long Live the Queen sort of fits that bill.

Don't eat the mushrooms sent as a gift from the Koopa Kingdom :ohdear:.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Arcsquad12 posted:

No, he was being honest about all the stuff he said. He's held all those opinions for some time now. I mean he was just throwing all those in there to get people going who are easily offended or riled up but he wasn't just trolling.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

BigRed0427 posted:

Actually, that's Zero Hour! If I remember correctly, they lifted whole lines from the film in places.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

who can forget the seminal classic of tv movies about an airport, Airport.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

Mr. Fowl posted:

Actually, that's Zero Hour! If I remember correctly, they lifted whole lines from the film in places.

Yes, Airplane! is mostly taken from Zero Hour! (Here they are side-by-side.)

Although Mayday at 40,000 Feet!, Airplane!, and Zero Hour! all have two major details in common: they’re all about flights from Los Angeles to Chicago, and they all have a professional athlete playing a member of the flight crew.

echopapa fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Jun 18, 2016

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

nine-gear crow posted:

See - this post highlights a specific problem I have with games like Vanquish, Revengeance and Bayonetta (and some films - Iron Sky and Jupiter Ascending springs to mind):

The description of what is in the film/game sounds far FAR more exciting and awesome than the actual act and experience of playing the game.

I have played all of this games once and only once and I have no desire to revisit them no matter how awesome it was slicing a train in half or rocket boosting in circles or stomping some angelic monstrosity with your giant steletto heel was. :/ The rest of the game simply isn't worth it.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

One of those insanely complicated Middle Ages 4x games probably has a mod like that. Wasn't there a Zelda mod for one somewhere?

Medieval 2 Total War has a stupidly extensive Zelda Mod, but Total War isn't really a grand strategy 4x game. It's more of a fairly simple 4x game with RTS battles whenever armies meet in the field.

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und
So I reviewed a belgian beer in French. That was probably a bad idea.

*Extremely Cluedo VHS game voice*
"I tried to be French for you!"

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

My review of Troll 2 is now up for Patreon backers. It feels really good to be back in the game, and I'm really happy with how this turned out.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /
How anyone can play a non-licenced platinum game and not be having tons of fun is beyond my comprehension. You do you I guess.

Edit: I would maybe give someone Revengence, as they forgot to explain the most important mechanic to the player. The others though, :shrug:.

prahanormal fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 19, 2016

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

prahanormal posted:

How anyone can play a non-licenced platinum game and not be having tons of fun is beyond my comprehension. You do you I guess.

Edit: I would maybe give someone Revengence, as they forgot to explain the most important mechanic to the player. The others though, :shrug:.

Wonderful 101 is also a great game that does a wretched job of actually explaining itself

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

MonsieurChoc posted:

That got me thinking about a different sci-fi space opera series with a huge world-building database that saw a switch in team for it's two sequels: Xenosaga. Except Xenosaga went back to the style of the first game for the ending instead of staying with the unpopular style of the second.

I would love love love to read or watch some kind of comprehensive explanation and analysis of the Xenosaga narrative and universe. I really enjoyed the games and thought I had a good grasp of things after the first one, but I had no idea what was going on by the end of the trilogy. I know it was supposed to be a longer series and the story got kind of a hackjob to fit it into three games, but I still had the sense that there was a coherent story there, just one that I didn't necessarily understand due to long gaps between playing each game and a lack of knowledge about Christianity, Gnosticism, Nietzsche, and a bunch of other things.

I want to go back to it, but I'm sure the gameplay hasn't aged well and I already probably devoted 120+ hours of my life to that series. I'm up for another 4-5 hours to finally understand the story, but not that much.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

surf rock posted:

I would love love love to read or watch some kind of comprehensive explanation and analysis of the Xenosaga narrative and universe. I really enjoyed the games and thought I had a good grasp of things after the first one, but I had no idea what was going on by the end of the trilogy. I know it was supposed to be a longer series and the story got kind of a hackjob to fit it into three games, but I still had the sense that there was a coherent story there, just one that I didn't necessarily understand due to long gaps between playing each game and a lack of knowledge about Christianity, Gnosticism, Nietzsche, and a bunch of other things.

I want to go back to it, but I'm sure the gameplay hasn't aged well and I already probably devoted 120+ hours of my life to that series. I'm up for another 4-5 hours to finally understand the story, but not that much.

The gameplay of the first and last game remains pretty fun (if you like JRPGs), but goddamn the second game sucked.

I really really want a Xenosaga HD collection.

Miss Wallace
Feb 24, 2013

The nights will never be the same. ARARARAR!
Brad and I talked about the coolest Christian rap in RIOT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQfUaJM5nJU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I feel like I'm always the one posting his videos, but hmbomberdudebro did another thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc24YtUslCU

It's great and funny (and rational!). It also lead me to check out Garett who's really informative.

Miss Wallace posted:

Brad and I talked about the coolest Christian rap in RIOT! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQfUaJM5nJU

More Carmen, less pureflix please. This is great :allears:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Have to say that Hbomb has really upped his production values. Excellent job all around.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Tracula posted:

Have to say that Hbomb has really upped his production values. Excellent job all around.

He really has.

For anyone out of the loop Hbomberguy uploaded another video about Sargon of Akkad and how to read a published study.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Ralph has a new video on lovely "paranormal investigator" shows. Watch it now before it gets a copyright takedown!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W0WFjaQ5PY

And Red Letter Media has a new re:View of Independence Day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_LJGPph4SM

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Mr.Radar posted:

Related, There was suppose to be a New Best of The Worst up yesterday or today. It's being delayed for technical reasons. :( I wanna know what caused two riots dammit!

Edit: And this falls under "Cool stuff on Youtube" And I apologize if people have seen these already. This was a viral series that I somehow missed. Don't hug me. I'm scared Just jump right into it if you wan't something unsettling. They posted what I think is their final episode today.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 20, 2016

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

BigRed0427 posted:

Related, There was suppose to be a New Best of The Worst up yesterday or today. It's being delayed for technical reasons. :( I wanna know what caused two riots dammit!

Their Patreon post for the re:View said "Also, our ill-fated new Best of the Worst will finally be up later this week."

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

BigRed0427 posted:

Edit: And this falls under "Cool stuff on Youtube" And I apologize if people have seen these already. This was a viral series that I somehow missed. Don't hug me. I'm scared Just jump right into it if you wan't something unsettling. They posted what I think is their final episode today.

If you like surreal horror based on kids shows that ISN'T just a parade of edgy, you really should check out DHMIS. This is, indeed, the final video, so you can enjoy them all at once, instead of having to wait months like the rest of us!

I spent more money than I should have backing their kickstarter, but I have no regrets! (I also got a neat t-shirt out of the deal so yay that)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Mr.Radar posted:

Sometimes I disagree with the RLM guys (like when Mike disliked Escape from New York). But today is not one of those days. :allears:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I just realized this. Why is Independence Day 2 not coming out July 4th weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

BigRed0427 posted:

He really has.

For anyone out of the loop Hbomberguy uploaded another video about Sargon of Akkad and how to read a published study.

I need to start throwing him money.

• Locked thread