Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

havenwaters posted:

It won't be a localization just a translation

I want these people handing their project over to the AAI2 fan patch team immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Suspicious Cook posted:

I want these people handing their project over to the AAI2 fan patch team immediately.

Look, I paid good money for this monkey's paw.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Regalingualius posted:

What'd they do with to it, outta curiosity (and as someone who's never played an FE game)?

Ometeotl fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 17, 2016

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Junpei Hyde posted:

Look, I paid good money for this monkey's paw.

Grab a seat

Groove to the Beat

And Join me on my Journey

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Which one does the image want us to prefer? because I like the one with less words. The same things are being said, but with less verbiage, making for easier reading.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

It's very sparse, utilitarian dialogue, which doesn't feel right for a arrogant, megalomanic king. It's like something out of an early PS1 game

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

There was a teardown of that scene I read somewhere that pointed out the fan translation doesn't actually say much of anything while the localization does a little bit of worldbuilding as well.

Here it is. The formatting's gotten kind of funky but you should still be able to read it.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's a disturbing contingent of people who think that translating a game is "oh just make all the japanese words english!!! easy peasy!!!"

You have to make those words fuckin' flow, man.

TheLoser
Apr 1, 2011

You make my korokoro go dokidoki.
You're telling me translating characterizations from Japanese to English isn't 1:1? :crossarms:

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

TheLoser posted:

You're telling me translating characterizations from Japanese to English isn't 1:1? :crossarms:

Let me tell you how translations in all languages will soon be done via AIs without human participation/interference at all.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Foglet posted:

Let me tell you how translations in all languages will soon be done via AIs without human participation/interference at all.

Google translate is quick therefore it is good

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
What's an idiom, anyway?

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
Buy gold.

Geniasis posted:

What's an idiom, anyway?

A miserable little pile of figurative meanings.

Enough talk.

Have at you.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Foglet posted:

A miserable little pile of figurative meanings.

Enough talk.

Have at you.

Perhaps the same could be said of all translations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Geniasis posted:

What's an idiom, anyway?

Try looking in the mirror.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Funky Valentine posted:

There's a disturbing contingent of people who think that translating a game is "oh just make all the japanese words english!!! easy peasy!!!"

You have to make those words fuckin' flow, man.

Oh god, as a translation student, I see this all the time ("Why are you studying that if you know english already?"). That teardown posted earlier pretty much addresses why the localization is waaay better. This is a game with world-building, character development and stuff and not a legal document. You want dry and simple on legal and academic translation, not on this!

People really have no idea how hard a translation can be depending on whether you are doing a localization, subtitling (those character limits are hell when Spanish is the TL), dealing with names of institutions when they don't have an official name in the TL, dubbing, literary translation (poetry is just on a whole different level jesus christ), dealing with different audiences and having to guess the kind of language hou have to use, etc.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

To be fair Fates really doesn't have much in the way of worldbuilding.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

OBJECTIONABLE! I am not find one while you answer!?
- Mitosurougi Reiijii

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

OBJECTIONABLE! I am not find one while you answer!?
- Mitosurougi Reiijii

What the gently caress is an objection I only know igiari.

igiariable.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

So, remember the yokai village in AA5? Case 4 of AA6 is about ten times more difficult to localize as that one was. I have no idea how they're even going to approach this one.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
What's the general idea of that exactly?

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Baal posted:

What's the general idea of that exactly?

This is the most minimal of spoilers, but it involves Rakugo theater, soba noodles, as well as the karuta card game, among other things. And to make it even harder, there are some case-related deep cultural references plus some choice "this is an integral part of our culture and legacy" quotes sprinkled throughout. And then there's some evidence involving wordplay too.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Sounds pretty American to me.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ah the Chihayafuru crossover I always wanted

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't wait to hear the American version of Jugemu Jugemu.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Strange Quark posted:

I can't wait to hear the American version of Jugemu Jugemu.

This is one of the first things that is quoted in the chapter, of course. Later there are much more obscure quotes.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

orenronen posted:

This is the most minimal of spoilers, but it involves Rakugo theater, soba noodles, as well as the karuta card game, among other things. And to make it even harder, there are some case-related deep cultural references plus some choice "this is an integral part of our culture and legacy" quotes sprinkled throughout. And then there's some evidence involving wordplay too.

Yes, yes!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The localization in that screenshot honestly reads really awkwardly to me as well. It's just a bit longer.

Changing the location of AA was obviously a mistake in hindsight but it's very funny so I can forgive it.

e: have we had confirmation that the writers are deliberately loving with the localizers yet?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Changing the location of AA was obviously a mistake in hindsight
These games would not be as good if not set in Japanifornia.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Really though Case 4 won't be a problem because AA6 will have a direct translation.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

orenronen posted:

Clearly it's all just weeb poo poo that Blackquill is into.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I assume you just overhaul the puzzles in the case completely at that point.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I assume you just overhaul the puzzles in the case completely at that point.

Watch as literally the entire case revolves around a serial killer that kills people in ways related to Karuta, and the clues, as well as the contradictions in wtiness testimony, all revolve around obscure japanese poetry the audience is expected to have some familiarity with, just to force the translators to have an aneurysm and completely rewrite the entire case from the ground up and pull a Voltron, using the same art assets to tell a completely different story.

(I don't actually know anything about the plot this isn't an actual spoiler)

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

thank god i actually know how both rakugo and karuta works

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Davincie posted:

thank god i actually know how both rakugo and karuta works

lol

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Maybe they'll just take the opportunity to broaden our cultural horizons

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Regy Rusty posted:

Maybe they'll just take the opportunity to broaden our cultural horizons

The puzzles are all gonna be Rummy-based, and you're gonna like it. :colbert:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And More posted:

The puzzles are all gonna be Rummy-based, and you're gonna like it. :colbert:

That still counts

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

time to poop this party, the PR for spirit of justice already said that kurain is "the far east", they can have whatever japanese culture they want in there and just have maya explain everything to nick like a child

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

time to poop this party, the PR for spirit of justice already said that kurain is "the far east",

Ah, New York.

• Locked thread