Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
But how much like Dark Souls/SoTN is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Bilal posted:

So much of the stuff in that trailer appears to be blatantly stolen. It looks like that mech sprite is the same sprite as when mechs were supposed to be in Starbound. Some of the tilesets look the same. I don't know if some of these assets are outright stolen or just being copied.
As someone who actually did sprite edits for both Terraria and Starbound: no.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Bilal posted:

So much of the stuff in that trailer appears to be blatantly stolen. It looks like that mech sprite is the same sprite as when mechs were supposed to be in Starbound. The tunnelling worm thing isn't the same sprite as Terraria, but its the same monster behavior. Some of the tilesets look the same. I don't know if some of these assets are outright stolen or just being copied. Either way, it's usually not an indicator that a game is going to be good when so much is 'borrowed" like this game is.

Some of the textures in that trailer made me raise my eyebrow, especially the thatch one. It looks like they ripped the one I made on Starbound and expanded it, or at least heavily copied it. The Mech looks heavily influenced by Starbound's one but I wouldn't go as far to say it was copied. There's always the chance that they're placeholder assets - I don't recall doing it artwise on Starbound but I remember we got a poke because we used a proprietary pixel font and forgot we hadn't designed it.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I haven't played starboard since it's release and tried it the other day and nothing has changed literally nothing what

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

letting the days go by

let the water hold me down

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Care to elaborate? I think everyone in here would like to legitimately know why, not that we're surprised.

because it's not Starbound, a good game

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my masterful pivot begins now

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

Babe Magnet posted:

letting the days go by

let the water hold me down

Have i ever told you that i love you?

Starbound: Early Access: Same as it ever was

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rrussom posted:

My name is Tiy, dev of devs; look upon my works, ye mighty, and despair.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280520/?snr=1_5_9__300

swords and sorcery version?

swordbound?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The game where you have to grind out combat to equip the gear you made by grinding out crafting on the stuff you dug 2 screens under the ground. And grind running laps around the world to unlock arcane mysteries like ledge grabs and double jumps.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Bilal posted:

So much of the stuff in that trailer appears to be blatantly stolen. It looks like that mech sprite is the same sprite as when mechs were supposed to be in Starbound. The tunnelling worm thing isn't the same sprite as Terraria, but its the same monster behavior. Some of the tilesets look the same. I don't know if some of these assets are outright stolen or just being copied. Either way, it's usually not an indicator that a game is going to be good when so much is 'borrowed" like this game is.

At 1:33 in the steam trailer, the lava dragon has a set of eyes very close to crocomire from super metroid, only the fourth set of eyes were remodeled into a snout. That part is so distinct, I'm leaning toward plagiarism.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Rrussom posted:

Have i ever told you that i love you?

Starbound: Talking Heads references never stop making sense

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Freakazoid_ posted:

At 1:33 in the steam trailer, the lava dragon has a set of eyes very close to crocomire from super metroid, only the fourth set of eyes were remodeled into a snout. That part is so distinct, I'm leaning toward plagiarism.

I also picked up on Crocomire from that sprite. He's a good monster, and quite distinct.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I think they also had the jumping Mega Man pose but who really cares

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Jackard posted:

I think they also had the jumping Mega Man pose but who really cares

I mean I'm pretty sure Starbound did the same

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

As for similar tilesets you have to consider the size + style they are working with, and the look that comes from games where everything must be broken down into any pattern of 1x1 blocks

So yes some of this poo poo is going to start looking familiar

Jackard fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 8, 2016

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Cripes. RIP Starbound, you were almost competent.

This game looks like it might be what we wanted out of a Starbound, but also I don't wanna buy into it when it still has like a year of early access left.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Already looks better than Starbound. With just a little bit of focus, could be lovely.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hey guys, Tiy here, I just got back from meditating on mount Sinai, and I had a vision. This vision, was to replace aaaaaaaaaaall the combat with tower defense combat. If you enter an NPC's home, the whole village will attack on sight. Mining now takes three minutes to break through a cluster of stone, and you can't mine through sand until you get a shovel. We know, the matter manipulator is supposed to BE a shovel, too, but we felt this is much more realistic, fitting in with the tones we're trying to achieve.

We've also added a stamina bar for walking, jumping, using techs, and attacking, and the only way to regain stamina is to stand still until your character catches their breath. I felt that the game could stand to be like Dark souls, and Dark Souls also has a feature I love a lot: Weight limits, that's right! Armor, weapons, and cosmetic items will all now weigh down your character, decreasing mobility, and you use more stamina all around. Lastly, we've also included a limit to how much of an item you can carry at once. If you have three pieces of raw meat, for example, any additional meats will go to a random chest in your ship. If you don't have a chest in your ship, well, you can eat some meat to pick more up.

We hope you enjoy this one last update before 1.0!

spit on my clit fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 15, 2016

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

BillmasterCozb posted:

Hey guys, Tiy here, I just got back from meditating on mount Sinai, and I had a vision. This vision, was to replace aaaaaaaaaaall the combat with tower defense combat. If you enter an NPC's home, the whole village will attack on sight. Mining now takes three minutes to break through a cluster of stone, and you can't mine through sand until you get a shovel. We know, the matter manipulator is supposed to BE a shovel, too, but we felt this is much more realistic, fitting in with the tones we're trying to achieve.

We've also added a stamina bar for walking, jumping, using techs, and attacking, and the only way to regain stamina is to stand still until your character catches their breath. I felt that the game could stand to be like Dark souls, and Dark Souls also has a feature I love a lot: Weight limits, that's right! Armor, weapons, and cosmetic items will all now weigh down your character, decreasing mobility, and you use more stamina all around. Lastly, we've also included a limit to how much of an item you can carry at once. If you have three pieces of raw meat, for example, any additional meats will go to a random chest in your ship. If you don't have a chest in your ship, well, you can eat some meat to pick more up.

We hope you enjoy this one last update before 1.0!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
im the ourobourous of lovely sandbox games

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Eonwe posted:

im the ourobourous of lovely sandbox games

I though that was me what a coincidence

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I bought Crea a few days ago and already have 15 hours in it. It's an RPG form of Terraria.. pretty fun, I recommend it.

I also bought Planet Centauri two days ago and played it a bit. It seems to be being made by one guy and it still has some issues but it's also playable. It does have this annoying tutorial thing at the start tho where the alien guy walks you through babbies first 2d survival crafting game and the text is a pain to skip and seems to be intended for people who read 1 word per minute. Like.. scroll word scroll word clicking shows three whole words at a time or you can tap/hold spacebar and then end up jumping when the text ends. I think I'm going to get a refund for it until it's a bit further along, say a year or two.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

BillmasterCozb posted:

Hey guys, Tiy here, I just got back from meditating on mount Sinai, and I had a vision. This vision, was to replace aaaaaaaaaaall the combat with tower defense combat.
It's actually Terraria you're thinking of. Terraria: Otherworld is going to have tower defense mechanics.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vib Rib posted:

It's actually Terraria you're thinking of. Terraria: Otherworld is going to have tower defense mechanics.

why the gently caress did they re-hire tiy

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BillmasterCozb posted:

why the gently caress did they re-hire tiy

Don't worry, it's different from Terraria 2.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx
i can't sleep, bed's on fire

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Ambaire posted:

I bought Crea a few days ago and already have 15 hours in it. It's an RPG form of Terraria.. pretty fun, I recommend it.

The dev streams himself coding it pretty regularly, it's kinda fun to watch: https://www.twitch.tv/siegegames

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
I don't like video games anymore.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
same

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

same

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Buttmeister posted:

I don't like video games anymore.

I don't think anyone ever liked them that much, to be fair.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
I like some sandbox games but I wish they weren't all trying to cash into the crafting-survival-building hype so much. I mean I remember the days of early Sid Meier's sims, I wouldn't mind some games with actual game design with a process behind it, and not just 100% reliance on EMERGENT GAMEPLAY.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Pochoclo posted:

I like some sandbox games but I wish they weren't all trying to cash into the crafting-survival-building hype so much. I mean I remember the days of early Sid Meier's sims, I wouldn't mind some games with actual game design with a process behind it, and not just 100% reliance on EMERGENT GAMEPLAY.

I agree; a lot of these games that rely on that are akin to starting a fire with wet wood.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
All i care about these days are roguelikes and RPGs

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I agree; a lot of these games that rely on that are akin to starting a fire with wet wood.

It's possible, but it makes a lot of smoke (bad gameplay) that ends up pissing off your friends (players) that also allows enemies (goons) to find your camp (game) and ruin everything (mock your poo poo game)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Slime posted:

It's possible, but it makes a lot of smoke (bad gameplay) that ends up pissing off your friends (players) that also allows enemies (goons) to find your camp (game) and ruin everything (mock your poo poo game)?

Goons ruin everything.

• Locked thread