Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

tsa posted:

Not if you've learned literally anything from history you don't.

I mean I heard the same poo poo before Iraq, nothing new under the sun. I imagine you are clamoring for a war in nk too?

Iraq didn't have an ongoing civil war with 400k death toll. And yeah, it isn't anything new because standing by and doing nothing is still the worst possible solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I think it's pretty clear that Trump's "isolationist" thing is just a schtick when so much of his rhetoric is about pumping up the military and directly fighting ISIS and so on and so forth.
Trump is a political Rorschach test. Everyone sees what they want to see. Here's what he has actually said on the topic in May.

quote:

“I would have stayed out of Syria and wouldn’t have fought so much for Assad, against Assad because I thought that was a whole thing,” Trump said. “You have Iran, which we made into a power. Iran now is a power. Because of us, because of some of the dumbest deals I have ever seen. So now you have Iran and you have Russia in favor of Assad. We’re supposed to fight the two of them. At the same time, we’re supposed to fight ISIS, who is fighting Assad.”

“Morning Joe” host Joe Scarborough said it sounded as if Trump was taking a consistent line on foreign policy, clarifying: “You wouldn’t have gone into Libya. You wouldn’t have gone into Iraq. You wouldn’t go into Syria. You wouldn’t have fought Assad.”

“Right,” Trump agreed. “But I’ll go after ISIS big-league,” he added.

Scarborough then remarked: “So what you’re saying is, Assad can stay in power. That’s not your interest.”

Trump replied that the U.S. has “bigger problems than Assad” and that he would tell the military to “knock the hell out of ISIS, which we could have done originally.”
A hypothetical Trump presidency would probably approach Syria by cutting all support for everyone involved in the conflict, launch an aggressive campaign against ISIS and its affiliates (possibly putting a substantial amount of boots on the ground), then declare MISSION ACCOMPLISHED and leave Assad to massacre whoever's left.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Friendly Humour posted:

Iraq didn't have an ongoing civil war with 400k death toll. And yeah, it isn't anything new because standing by and doing nothing is still the worst possible solution.

If we haven't figured out how to prevent a huge civil war in Iraq what makes you think we can stop one in Syria?

There are lots of other people's problems I don't choose to solve for them if the cost is too high. This qualifies.

tsa posted:

Anyone who claims to know what trump would do or what he is thinking is a liar or a fool. Trump included.

I can agree with this. But the random element doesn't guarantee he lands on any particular side of Hillary.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Turdis McWordis posted:

If we haven't figured out how to prevent a huge civil war in Iraq what makes you think we can stop one in Syria?

There are lots of other people's problems I don't choose to solve for them if the cost is too high. This qualifies.

What is the cost.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Volkerball posted:

What is the cost.

Money. Lives taken by the victorious side that we would then bear some responsibility for. Troops if you really want to impose a peace.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Turdis McWordis posted:

Money. Lives taken by the victorious side that we would then bear some responsibility for. Troops if you really want to impose a peace.

So orders of magnitude less than the cost of the last 5 years of civil war and the next 5 years to come.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Turdis McWordis posted:

I'd like to see your cost-benefit analysis matrix for statement.

cyberbully
Feb 10, 2003

Friendly Humour posted:

It doesn't seem callous, it is callous. If the alternatives are "i dunno know" and letting a genocidal tyrant go on genociding, you need some pretty good reasons to pick the latter one.

How exactly is this act the responsibility of the United States and only this one country to resolve this by war, sacrificing what are likely to be thousands of its own countrymen's lives and spending money that it doesn't have because it blew it already as it largely failed to help both Afghanistan and Iraq? We are not good at resolving this kind of conflict yet, and although I think Obama has made some large mistakes on Syria, I am sympathetic with the lack of viable options. Sometimes it's better to wait to see if a better option comes up later that will provide a more lasting effect.

Going back to the wishing we had done a NFZ back in the days of a stronger FSA and less prominent IS, it should be remembered that both the Iran nuclear deal and the deal to rid Syria of chemical weapons never would have occurred under such circumstances. It's difficult to say if those deals are completely worth it, and many hawks don't believe they were anything more than the US being deceived, but I do think they add some credit to the idea of being more cautious about running off to war and rather seeing what options arise later that were not able to be anticipated at the time. I think that will eventually lead to borders being redrawn, but the US establishment cringes at this idea for now. However it seems to be the least-bad final result for many of the wars that have been similar to the Syrian civil war.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Friendly Humour posted:

Can we please for the love of god drop this "doing nothing" thing?

Diplomatic pressure is not nothing. Sanctions are not nothing. Funding/arming/training/creating rebel groups is not nothing.

There has been years of not nothing going on. Drop it already.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Volkerball posted:

So orders of magnitude less than the cost of the last 5 years of civil war and the next 5 years to come.

The costs to the US past and future of the Syrian civil war are orders of magnitude less than the costs to the US of trying to stop it? :confused:

Friendly Humour posted:

I'd like to see your cost-benefit analysis matrix for statement.

See above. If you're suggesting setting US costs against Syrian and regional benefits then (1) LOL, and (2) we'd need to do a cost benefit analysis of every possible action the USG could take everywhere in the world using every possible resource including eliminating existing programs benefitting US citizens. No, thanks.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
The thing is, and I know I'm contradicting myself here, that Russian aggressiveness is making all of those efforts moot, and if you want diplomatic efforts to have better results then we need to ~do something~. The best hope might be that Russia gets tired of Assad's all-or-nothing attitude and gets him out one way or another and his replacement is more amenable to a partitioning of the country... which implies that the US just keep doing what it's doing until then. Although one would hope we could do more in providing aid regardless of what Assad says, via airdrops or what have you. He'd be angry but I doubt that would risk escalating anything with Russia.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

cyberbully posted:

How exactly is this act the responsibility of the United States and only this one country to resolve this by war, sacrificing what are likely to be thousands of its own countrymen's lives and spending money that it doesn't have because it blew it already as it largely failed to help both Afghanistan and Iraq? We are not good at resolving this kind of conflict yet, and although I think Obama has made some large mistakes on Syria, I am sympathetic with the lack of viable options. Sometimes it's better to wait to see if a better option comes up later that will provide a more lasting effect.

Going back to the wishing we had done a NFZ back in the days of a stronger FSA and less prominent IS, it should be remembered that both the Iran nuclear deal and the deal to rid Syria of chemical weapons never would have occurred under such circumstances. It's difficult to say if those deals are completely worth it, and many hawks don't believe they were anything more than the US being deceived, but I do think they add some credit to the idea of being more cautious about running off to war and rather seeing what options arise later that were not able to be anticipated at the time. I think that will eventually lead to borders being redrawn, but the US establishment cringes at this idea for now. However it seems to be the least-bad final result for many of the wars that have been similar to the Syrian civil war.

It isn't the sole responsibility of the United States, but they're the only ones with the capacity to do anything about Assad. The EU isn't going to lift a finger and I find that deplorable, but what can you do. Though it's convenient to ignore it now, when the civil war started there were promises and vocal support for the FSA, which ultimately came to nothing. If you ask the Syrians themselves, and I have asked from those refugees that I've met, they think the West betrayed them. And I agree. The position of "it's not our fight" would be a valid one if the West hadn't made any promises to the Syrian revolutionaries.

As for the gains that have been made, 400k dead don't really care about that. You still failed to stop the slaughter, but take what confort you want in Assad not having chemical weapons to do his genociding with. I'm sure the death toll would be a couple thousand higher without it.

Count Roland posted:

Can we please for the love of god drop this "doing nothing" thing?

Diplomatic pressure is not nothing. Sanctions are not nothing. Funding/arming/training/creating rebel groups is not nothing.

There has been years of not nothing going on. Drop it already.

It is when you know it's not going to work. Also, the West gave loving zilch to the revolutionaries fighting against Assad. Trained nobody and gave no arms. The only ones who've received any support are the Kurds. Good for them, but their fight is with Daesh, not Assad. Continuing with the diplomatic approach when it's clear to everyone it's not going to have any results is exactly the same approach as the West has taken with Israel-Palestine conflict. Ie, close your eyes, keep talking and hope it goes away.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The FSA was a right-wing death squad who were going to sell it off anyway. They were bourgeois, not revolutionary.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I loving love death squads.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
Actually, I would love for a more pro-active EU/Other in dealings with things like this and Bosnia...intervention like these should not be done unilaterally and that wasnt the case for Syria but still can you imagine France or Britain moving without US blessing? And what is US blessing, it is when it moves out first I'm sad to say.

NATO was never a charity for Europes sake, lets be clear.

But still, those other actors growing more in capabilities and will would be good so these emergencies aren't beholden to a fickle US and for the future better yet being able to talk down an overzelous US when there aren't any emergencies(i'e Iraq War part duce)

That said America does hold the first mover credentials here, and as to what would be the reward, that depends entirely on wheter your an Isolationist and think US can live in a vacum.

If I would go by the number solely it would still be about the refugees, Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey/EU(to a degree in which most of the issues are self inflicted) has their issues, Lebanon most of all.

Where do you think that situation will continue to head with the war raging or Assad in power with no assurance for their lives under him?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Friendly Humour posted:

It is when you know it's not going to work. Also, the West gave loving zilch to the revolutionaries fighting against Assad. Trained nobody and gave no arms. The only ones who've received any support are the Kurds. Good for them, but their fight is with Daesh, not Assad. Continuing with the diplomatic approach when it's clear to everyone it's not going to have any results is exactly the same approach as the West has taken with Israel-Palestine conflict. Ie, close your eyes, keep talking and hope it goes away.

Is this an attempt at irony or something? They may not have backed the rebels as much as you wanted, but the US absolutely backed anti-Assad rebels. You can't be really denying this, right?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Apparently the Iraqi Army is now in Fallujah center.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Friend of mine found this photo online somewhere - pretty strange. Supposedly Iraqi militia of some sort in Fallujah. Homeboy up front has a Croatian VHS-2, which I don't think I've ever seen pop up in the ME before. Is Croatia arming any faction at the moment? PKM gunner also has a really highspeed M4 on his back, including a Holosight and IR laser designator, though I guess conceivably that could have been captured from daesh, who would have captured it from the originally Iraqi SF teams when they ran away.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Rifles really aren't that difficult to obtain or expensive, in the big scheme of things that destroy other things.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Rifles really aren't that difficult to obtain or expensive, in the big scheme of things that destroy other things.

No poo poo - but it's a curious gun to have show up in a sea of AK/AR variants, so there's obviously a story attached to it. Really doubt a random Iraqi militiaman decided to waste money on an obscure Croat gun.

Turdis McWordis
Mar 29, 2016

by LadyAmbien
He didn't cut his food budget to pay for it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Throatwarbler posted:

I did some reading and HS Produkt entered a deal with Iraq to have them test out VHS assault rifles and apparently the VHS-2 was approved for sale to Iraq recently. So it's probably part of the Iraqi shipment. I remember that some Libyan rebels in 2011 got their hands on F2000s that were sold to the Libyan military for elite troops.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Objurium posted:

No poo poo - but it's a curious gun to have show up in a sea of AK/AR variants, so there's obviously a story attached to it. Really doubt a random Iraqi militiaman decided to waste money on an obscure Croat gun.

This is old news actually. The Saudis together with the CIA delivered Croatian weapons to the Rebels at least until 2013. You'll find stories about it if you google it, though they tend to focus on the heavier gear, like rocket launchers.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Objurium posted:

As Domattee says, the Croatians were selling arms to the Saudis that were going to a variety of groups. Croatia both inherited a lot of the Yugoslav firearm-production infrastructure and has since invested in such post-war. Springfield is now Croatian-owned and they're actually a major producer of 1911s and other longtime staple firearms. Nominally "obscure" Croatian guns are often slight variations or straight copies of more well known designs.

Also minor nitpick but nationality is "Croatian" ethnicity is "Croat", at least so I was told while there. Those are Croatian guns because they are made in the nation of Croatia. A Croat gun would be made by ethnic Croats who may or may not live inside a nation called Croatia.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Objurium posted:

Friend of mine found this photo online somewhere - pretty strange. Supposedly Iraqi militia of some sort in Fallujah. Homeboy up front has a Croatian VHS-2, which I don't think I've ever seen pop up in the ME before. Is Croatia arming any faction at the moment? PKM gunner also has a really highspeed M4 on his back, including a Holosight and IR laser designator, though I guess conceivably that could have been captured from daesh, who would have captured it from the originally Iraqi SF teams when they ran away.

Didn't our own Brown Moses come into the international spotlight for being the one to figure out the Croatians were the country the west was using to give arms to rebels? I figure a bunch of their stuff is floating around Syria atm.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Apparently the Iraqi Army is now in Fallujah center.
Better than that:
https://twitter.com/miladvisor/status/743879082220347392

quote:

#Fallujah MAP 17/6/16.#Iraq's armed forces recaptured ~70% of city & ~80% city centre.

Apparently they now control 70% of Fallujah.

Well that's certainly a revelation I wouldn't have called a year ago: the Iraqi Army is better at fighting Fallujah than the US Army was. Apparently you can make the Iraqi Army competent after all!:v:

Oh, Manbij proper may be starting:
https://twitter.com/sayed_ridha/status/743835601594572800

quote:

#SDF reportedly storm #Manbij city from the west side
Clashes between #SDF & #IS near al-Kateb roundabout in west #Manbij

https://twitter.com/AhmedoKurdi/status/743835836207202304

quote:

They've reached Kitab Square according to Kurdish sources

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

chairface posted:

As Domattee says, the Croatians were selling arms to the Saudis that were going to a variety of groups. Croatia both inherited a lot of the Yugoslav firearm-production infrastructure and has since invested in such post-war. Springfield is now Croatian-owned and they're actually a major producer of 1911s and other longtime staple firearms. Nominally "obscure" Croatian guns are often slight variations or straight copies of more well known designs.

Also minor nitpick but nationality is "Croatian" ethnicity is "Croat", at least so I was told while there. Those are Croatian guns because they are made in the nation of Croatia. A Croat gun would be made by ethnic Croats who may or may not live inside a nation called Croatia.

Interesting! Thanks for the replies dudes. Actually wasn't familiar with the VHS2 until digging deeper but it definitely looks like a FA-MAS clone. Nationality/ethnicity nitpick is also noted :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

chairface posted:

Springfield is now Croatian-owned and they're actually a major producer of 1911s and other longtime staple firearms. Nominally "obscure" Croatian guns are often slight variations or straight copies of more well known designs.

How long has Springfield been Croatian-owned? Was it part of their importation arrangement for the :xd:?

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.

chairface posted:

Its all "Smurf"

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/ChuckPfarrer/status/743835321931079681

quote:

MANBIJ: 17 JUN 2016 1200 EDT. Multiple airstrikes interdict Daesh positions in and around urban area.

Chuck Pfarrer puts the airstrikes into context.

https://twitter.com/SaudiEmbassyUSA/status/743842155530190849

quote:

Saudi FM @AdelAljubeir: Saudi Arabia supports a stronger, more robust intervention in Syria.
So do it yourselves already you jackasses, don't just twiddle your thumbs talking about it, or asking the US to stick our necks deeper into Syria.

Also rumors that the PKK and Ankara have reached some sort of agreement:
https://www.reddit.com/r/syriancivilwar/comments/4oh9cg/pkk_ankara_reached_accord_over_areas_in_syria/
Nothing confirmed so far, and it would be a hard pivot for Erdogan, although stranger things have happened.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I think it is more likely that whoever Daesh had in Falluja was just simply really poo poo, even compared to the ISF, not that the ISF have suddenly become competent.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Panzeh posted:

The FSA was a right-wing death squad who were going to sell it off anyway. They were bourgeois, not revolutionary.

What the gently caress does this even mean?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Randarkman posted:

What the gently caress does this even mean?

It means he reads Russia Today or is making fun of those who do.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Xerxes17 posted:

I think it is more likely that whoever Daesh had in Falluja was just simply really poo poo, even compared to the ISF, not that the ISF have suddenly become competent.
It's much easier to fight ISIS when you can just point at things and Americans will make them explode for you. That way you can save your ammo for celebratory gunfire.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I was writing in reply to this where fade5 compares ISF and the US Army.

fade5 posted:

Apparently they now control 70% of
Fallujah.

Well that's certainly a revelation I wouldn't have called a year ago: the Iraqi Army is better at fighting Fallujah than the US Army was. Apparently you can make the Iraqi Army competent after all!:v:

So a comment about USAF air strikes is a null point.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Domattee posted:

This is old news actually. The Saudis together with the CIA delivered Croatian weapons to the Rebels at least until 2013. You'll find stories about it if you google it, though they tend to focus on the heavier gear, like rocket launchers.

For one, that was in Syria, not Iraq, and two, that deal was based around old stockpiles from the war that they were trying to get rid of, not newly produced weapons. Those weapons in the picture came from the ISF. It's not uncommon for the army to give Shia militias equipment to use. That's why all those militiamen are rolling around in humvees.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Didn't someone post some stuff a month or two ago explaining how the Iraqi army actually got their poo poo together and is a halfway decent force, now?

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It's much easier to fight ISIS when you can just point at things and Americans will make them explode for you. That way you can save your ammo for celebratory gunfire.

Not really, or else Azaz wouldn't have needed the Manbij offensive to save their asses.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Volkerball posted:

For one, that was in Syria, not Iraq, and two, that deal was based around old stockpiles from the war that they were trying to get rid of, not newly produced weapons. Those weapons in the picture came from the ISF. It's not uncommon for the army to give Shia militias equipment to use. That's why all those militiamen are rolling around in humvees.

I don't think the Iraqi Army has any Croatian weapons, the weapons almost certainly came from Syria into Iraq.

e: There's a BM post about this even: http://brown-moses.blogspot.de/2014/03/isis-deploys-croatian-weapons-against.html

Domattee fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Domattee posted:

I don't think the Iraqi Army has any Croatian weapons, the weapons almost certainly came from Syria into Iraq.

chitoryu12 posted:

I did some reading and HS Produkt entered a deal with Iraq to have them test out VHS assault rifles and apparently the VHS-2 was approved for sale to Iraq recently. So it's probably part of the Iraqi shipment. I remember that some Libyan rebels in 2011 got their hands on F2000s that were sold to the Libyan military for elite troops.

Yes, I remember. There's a BM article in the New York Times that he did with CJ Chivers when this story broke. Like I said, it was all generic old weapons. That deal was based around quantity, not quality. The dude next to him has an M4 that's clearly from Iraqi stock so logic would dictate that's where they got the stuff.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 18, 2016

• Locked thread