Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I fell in love with FANG and I still don't play because either matchmaking is insane or there's literally no one playing but brand new Ryu's and silver Nash's/Kens. I felt like I was doing charity work playing Vega, FANG and Laura giving people a break from that poo poo.

seriously, friend to friend....get xrd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

anime was right posted:

you guys realize that when the dlc characters are playable in story mode, unless its gated behind online, people can probably just hack the character select screen to point to those characters and people with the pc version will be able to practice them well before release for several months

does capcom not realize this

l m a o

people would have to play the game to do this though.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

anime was right posted:

um what

lol

what
boring poo poo character that's what!!!!

(that just happens to be interesting at high level play due to having a skillset parts of which interacts interestingly with some engine quirks)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Microwaves Mom posted:

people would have to play the game to do this though.

tbh ill start the game up to play urien for 5 minutes and then quit

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
Aegis regardless of unblockables is super interesting in its various applications and the concept was ridiculously influential in fighting games in general.

His special moves almost all having some unique movement utility combined with a ridiculously well designed and unique charge system (that shamefully hasn't been brought back or revised upon in any future fighting games, capcom or otherwise) led to a ridiculous amount of freedom with how you played the character and your options in neutral and combos and setups.

It's just loving stupid to say that in "low fwd xx super" the game, Urien of all characters isn't interesting.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

anime was right posted:

tbh ill start the game up to play urien for 5 minutes and then quit

that was my thought with juri, but do i really want to bother? I mean overwatch is better.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

Aegis regardless of unblockables is super interesting in its various applications and the concept was ridiculously influential in fighting games in general.

His special moves almost all having some unique movement utility combined with a ridiculously well designed and unique charge system (that shamefully hasn't been brought back or revised upon in any future fighting games, capcom or otherwise) led to a ridiculous amount of freedom with how you played the character and your options in neutral and combos and setups.

It's just loving stupid to say that in "low fwd xx super" the game, Urien of all characters isn't interesting.

st. fwd xx super the game was Q, and he was a critically hamstringed character because of it.

But still really loving cool.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i still cant believe a pink shield that sits there is still one of the coolest supers of all time aesthetically. it never stopped being fun doing aegis itself.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
seriously tho im sad the guy who did two of the coolest and most recognizable super callouts has never done anything ever again. rip aegis and ahvb

edit: oh, guess his imdb page a long time ago was never properly updated: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0063143/?ref_=tt_cl_t13 guess hes in a lot of stuff now. neato. pls get him back capcom

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Aegis was super interesting as a concept, much like Ouroboros (other than fancy dresses, Rose having Ouroboros kinda sorta was the reason I decided to main her in SF4), but no one really used it until people figured out unblockables, right? I remember hearing about Tokido going to America and wrecking everyone with Aegis, and that being a groundbreaking thing at the time.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

anime was right posted:

i still cant believe a pink shield that sits there is still one of the coolest supers of all time aesthetically
counterpoint:

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders
Even bad Uriens knew Aegis was cool because you could reflect fireball supers on reaction with EX Aegis

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

apple posted:

Even bad Uriens knew Aegis was cool because you could reflect fireball supers on reaction with EX Aegis

What?

edit; How do you EX a super?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 18, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

you could reflect fireball supers on reaction with EX aegis

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.

A.o.D. posted:

What?

edit; How do you EX a super?

If you pressed 2 buttons with Aegis it would spawn slightly in front and above Urien. It came out in 1f so it could be used as a reversal and to combo off a lot of stuff you couldn't normally.

It is commonly called EX Aegis because of the method of input.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

bebaloorpabopalo posted:

If you pressed 2 buttons with Aegis it would spawn slightly in front and above Urien. It came out in 1f so it could be used as a reversal and to combo off a lot of stuff you couldn't normally.

It is commonly called EX Aegis because of the method of input.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. The not really anti-air version.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

anime was right posted:

seriously tho im sad the guy who did two of the coolest and most recognizable super callouts has never done anything ever again. rip aegis and ahvb

edit: oh, guess his imdb page a long time ago was never properly updated: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0063143/?ref_=tt_cl_t13 guess hes in a lot of stuff now. neato. pls get him back capcom

Now you've made me realize there's no way in hell they're bringing back Urien's old voice actor for SFV and I hate the game

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I always liked how Ryu's 3S VA is now Gouken's.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
I never would've thought Capcom was going to mess up SFV so much. On the bright side, it might revive Third Strike yet again. Maybe there'll even be a balance patch for it after 20 years of player testing!

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Putting aside the matchmaking and interface problems, whats the problem with the actual gameplay itself? I am pretty poo poo at this game but once u get in an actual match it seems fine. Is that not the case?

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008

eriddy posted:

Putting aside the matchmaking and interface problems, whats the problem with the actual gameplay itself? I am pretty poo poo at this game but once u get in an actual match it seems fine. Is that not the case?

Once you learn your character's bnb combos, you've basically mastered them. There's no real room for improvisation, you can only get better at shimmying until you reach the point where you can pull off the rare and elusive unmoving shimmy and then every single match plays out the exact same way, even at the highest level.

That's the biggest issue for me at least - there are other problems like 8 frames of lag making anti-airs really annoying to pull off and causes certain characters (Zangief) to have a real hard time.

Crown Face fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 18, 2016

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sf5 isnt the worst game on the planet but it suffers from typical capcomitis where walkspeed is a dumpster and throws are fires, also the hitboxes are kinda hosed (but i think they're way less hosed than most people say they are). also the way every move is like -1 on block means you're basically playing button rps since theres rarely a situation where you hit a useable button and then are at a point of power/weakness. then the pushback makes no sense (sweeps have zero pushback meaning that spacing them right means they're still trash). its mostly a lot of little systemic flaws adding up to make for a borishing game thats more aggressive bc of a horrible design choice that makes the game feel worse instead of addressing the Actual Problems.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
sf5 offers nothing in the way of gameplay that wasn't already done better by 1995 in the genre. given that games from 1995 are playable with better netplay and an interface where you can actually communicate with other players on services like fightcade, there is no reason to play sfv. also, the design for the new character for SFV, necalli, is just an angry man covered in the letter V, because this is SF V.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

eriddy posted:

Playstyles don't exist because every character is designed in to be played in a very specific way, and for most characters it's the exact same specific way.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Zand posted:

sf5 offers nothing in the way of gameplay that wasn't already done better by 1995 in the genre. given that games from 1995 are playable with better netplay and an interface where you can actually communicate with other players on services like fightcade, there is no reason to play sfv. also, the design for the new character for SFV, necalli, is just an angry man covered in the letter V, because this is SF V.

Can you elaborate on this?

The game feels like poo poo, but my lack of expertise makes it hard for me to articulate.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Night Blade posted:

Can you elaborate on this?

The game feels like poo poo, but my lack of expertise makes it hard for me to articulate.

when I try to elaborate on this people just think I'm mad or something so no lol. practically anyone who has experience playing a variety of old games will come to the same conclusion, so my recommendation to you is to download fightcade and a bunch of roms and then just go ham playing games with your friends and then try to play SFV with them afterwards.

edit: oh, but one of the clearest 2 reasons why are that almost nothing feels powerful and there is 8 frames of input lag. old games that succeeded had snappy controls and poo poo that felt powerful and fun to do

Zand fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 18, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
breakers revenge is unironically a better street fighter game than street fighter V

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Dias posted:

Aegis was super interesting as a concept, much like Ouroboros (other than fancy dresses, Rose having Ouroboros kinda sorta was the reason I decided to main her in SF4), but no one really used it until people figured out unblockables, right? I remember hearing about Tokido going to America and wrecking everyone with Aegis, and that being a groundbreaking thing at the time.

People used it in super because it was 0f start up, (if not it was stupidly close to it) so it was actually a reversal ultra.

Then ae onward its instant start up was taken away, so it was best used offensively after that.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 18, 2016

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

darealkooky posted:

breakers revenge is unironically a better street fighter game than street fighter V

zand made the srk wiki page for that game

zand is a breakers revenge mystic

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
The coolest part of CEO for me might be the Halo side tournament in Jebaileyland. I've really fallen off of SFV.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Zand posted:

The gameplay is butt but I'll have to commend them on the cross-platform implementation, that should become the new industry standard.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Man breakers is such a cool and weird game. It is good poo poo. Play condor if you like winning

Main crime of SFV gameplay imho is as many said, characters have no room for experimentation or variety. Compare with USF4 where you had two ultras, most characters could be played safely or aggressively depending on your playstyle, you could do sick reads with focus attacks, there were high risk high reward characters that could kill you on touch which forced you to play differently, projectiles were good so that forced different matches sometimes as well. I remember seeing a C Viper vs like Makoto match and then a Guile vs Sim match back to back at some tournament and just thinking wow its pretty amazing that these two are the same game.

SFV has almost none of the above so far. I think Fang is an exception by being unique and weird and playable defensively or aggressively, unfortunately he suffers from capcomitis and none of his poo poo feels powerful.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 18, 2016

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

SFV is saved

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

apple posted:

Tekken community has a pretty toxic subset of players who jizz about older games but 95% of it is just their fragile egos who can't stand to re-learn Tekken and maybe 5% legitimate complaints.

that's also how i feel about this thread, coincidentally

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Love Stole the Day posted:

whats there to learn in sf5 though

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Fereydun posted:

whats there to learn in sf5 though

The shimmy meta of course.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

Love Stole the Day posted:

SFV defender/Capcom employee spotted.

Dr. Video Games 0112 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jun 18, 2016

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Add the Consensual Rape to Your Seduction Game with This PUA Tutorial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
"Unmoving shimmy" is the worst term ever invented