Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

All this talk about the jump potion has me wondering if they're going to make the people who use it sit down for literally a three hour long movie of nothing but cutscenes. That said, I really feel like if they do release any new jobs, they'll have to be not gated by the content (anybody remember the OF screaming about weh i want to play edgelord for my first job weh weh) as a sort of capitulation to the ~*~RP PLAYERS~*~ on servers like Balmung or some poo poo.

God I can't stand Balmung.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

brokenknee posted:

All this talk about the jump potion has me wondering if they're going to make the people who use it sit down for literally a three hour long movie of nothing but cutscenes.

Pre 2.5 content is sorely lacking in Final Fantasy's signature ridiculously long cutscenes so thats a feature!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

brokenknee posted:

All this talk about the jump potion has me wondering if they're going to make the people who use it sit down for literally a three hour long movie of nothing but cutscenes. That said, I really feel like if they do release any new jobs, they'll have to be not gated by the content (anybody remember the OF screaming about weh i want to play edgelord for my first job weh weh) as a sort of capitulation to the ~*~RP PLAYERS~*~ on servers like Balmung or some poo poo.

Actually, letting anybody access the jobs is capitulation to good design, not to RP players

Fishious
Jan 9, 2008
The correct thing to do is to periodically trim to the point where the leveling/catchup experience is consistent among any cohort of new players, they do this with gear but judging from that reddit thread it's heresy to do that with main story quests about chocobo poop among players who aren't effected by this at all. Though TBH that's a lot of work and SE isn't one for the complex solutions.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

EponymousMrYar posted:

Completely 100% skipping that content is silly.

If the 'jump potion' gave a cliffnotes cutscene of everything that happened that would be cool and infinitely better.

You obtain Fei Fon Wong's Chair!

Using Fei Fon Wong's Chair...

"Some things happened. Leviabeetus, ninjas, Merlwyb is a badass. And then we got the idea to use a boat..."

The Whorleater (Hard) is unlocked!

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
did somebody say capitulate

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm at the home stretch guys, just did Keeper of the Lake, so close to Heavensward

Edit: Also I have no gil, will I need gil for heavensward? I can imagine suddenly a lot more things to buy both mechanics and minion collecting fronts

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm at the home stretch guys, just did Keeper of the Lake, so close to Heavensward

Edit: Also I have no gil, will I need gil for heavensward? I can imagine suddenly a lot more things to buy both mechanics and minion collecting fronts

Protip zone: take gear every time, sell it on the AH. It's HQ and can be a bit of easy cash. I used most of the Gloam set all the way to 60.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Well you can get pretty far with only 100k into HW and the MSQ will give you gear all the way to Lvl 60.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

brokenknee posted:

I feel like you haven't seen the newer final fantasy games if you think hours of cutscene is out of place in this game.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

I feel like you haven't seen the newer final fantasy games if you think hours of cutscene is out of place in this game.

You would be correct. The last none XIV game I played was Tactics and before that I guess was 9 but I never finished it because jfc

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Bleu posted:

Protip zone: take gear every time, sell it on the AH. It's HQ and can be a bit of easy cash. I used most of the Gloam set all the way to 60.

:stare:

In Hinterlands there is not much reason to be using a zeta and dreadwyrm gear, let alone i110 stuff since you get a full HQ set of level 56(?) gear from quests in the zone and that gear's just better period. Even before that you're getting 125 or 130 stuff in Churning Mists IIRC.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I know a lot of you have been playing forever but the intro part of this game is so miles ahead of every other MMO I've even ever looked at that leaving some chunk of the MSQ intact for new people would be far better than story dump. It needs to be trimmed absolutely though, but not kicked to the curb.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I mean, I certainly won't lie: a large part of the reason I kept playing the game in the first place was because the story was uniquely good compared to every other MMO I'd ever played (and, hell, better compared to a lot of single-player RPGs I've played). I started in Limsa, and having a questline that actively acknowledged that maybe breaking their official compact with the goblins wasn't such a hot idea is pretty fuckin' revolutionary writing in this day and age of RPGs.

With that said, though, there is a lot of spit-and-polish the early questlines could use, and it's a legitimate concern that you have to power through several FF games worth of storyline to start getting to where your friends are, especially once the next expansion comes out. The path of least resistance might just be making leveling up even easier so that you can just blaze through the MSQ and largely ignore FATEs/leves/dungeons/etc., but I guess we'll see.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

One day I'd like for attack animations to not pretend you're standing still so you're not electric sliding while swinging a sword.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

One day I'd like for attack animations to not pretend you're standing still so you're not electric sliding while swinging a sword.

This would actually look even weirder than the current situation. Just imagine doing Power Slash while your legs are flailing around like loving Gumby.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Vermain posted:

This would actually look even weirder than the current situation. Just imagine doing Power Slash while your legs are flailing around like loving Gumby.

Yoshi p hire this man.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

In terms of priority this is going to be near the very bottom for pretty much any MMO, right alongside "stop having gear clip through character models."

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There's an easy fix to not having gear clip through character models, single player games do it all the time. But the fix is to limit things to an extent that players would not be happy with regarding gear, hair, and body type models as well as animations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Have you ever played WoW? What you're proposing actually looks way worse in practice.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
is it not weird that rogue is gated behind a rather arbitrary level requirement, for some reason?

why have they never bothered to change it so that you can become a rogue at level 1?

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
It was added later on, so there's probably some sort of chicanery with starting classes from 1.0

Alternatively, :effort:

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
As someone who got the game after HW, I found the 2.1-2.55 stuff way worse than the 2.0 stuff. Yeah, I know objectively, they were cooler and cooler things happened. But as a player, the 2.0 story felt like it served a dual purpose of showing me a story while also bringing my character up from 1-50 and exposing me to the entire realm. The 2.1-2.55 story, on the other hand, felt like a giant 100-quest wall that was stopping me from seeing cool new HW content. Not even letting me unlock new job abilities until it was complete really cheesed me. It felt I had been pressured into buying HW not for any content, but because if I didn't I'd be wasting all the EXP I'd be getting by slugging through the remnants of the previous game. I definitely think they're going to have to do something about it.

Also, kind of related, but the game really needs a way to speed up dialogue delivery. Like, I want there to be a button that allows me to skip emotes and poo poo and just go to the next text feed. I don't know what it's called, but Tales of Zesitira had it and it was great and going through all the story stuff would have been so much better if I could have done the same. Also if Minfilia would have just told me what the gently caress she wanted me to do instead of, "pray return to the Waking Sands."

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I assume for Paladin Animas there's no need to throw accuracy on them and just go with crit/det/speed?

Of course I am not doing parry.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Moving around while doing animations looks goofier than electric sliding, as mentioned via the WoW example. The current animations have the right amount of flash and some have jumps which work better in motion than your lower body doing motion stuff while your upper half does the attacking.

Realism is cool except when it isn't.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

LethalGeek posted:

I know a lot of you have been playing forever but the intro part of this game is so miles ahead of every other MMO I've even ever looked at that leaving some chunk of the MSQ intact for new people would be far better than story dump. It needs to be trimmed absolutely though, but not kicked to the curb.

Yeah, I think having some why to get a cliff notes version of the Crystal Braves arc would be a good idea because while it sets up a fair bit that will probably get built on later most of it's filler as hell, but the 2.0 MSQ should probably stay with maybe a few of the fetch quests trimmed just because it's, you know, the core plot of the game.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

cheetah7071 posted:

Yeah I'd totally support a fast track path in 4.0 where the game spends about 3-4 hours summarizing the 2.x and 3.x plot, levelling you up super fast, and giving you blatant instructions on how to play the game and your class. Leave the 2.0 and 3.0 quest starters lying around so people can start them if they really feel like it and justify them as echo flashbacks.

Just make them do all the dungeons anyway.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

ruta posted:

As someone who got the game after HW, I found the 2.1-2.55 stuff way worse than the 2.0 stuff. Yeah, I know objectively, they were cooler and cooler things happened. But as a player, the 2.0 story felt like it served a dual purpose of showing me a story while also bringing my character up from 1-50 and exposing me to the entire realm. The 2.1-2.55 story, on the other hand, felt like a giant 100-quest wall that was stopping me from seeing cool new HW content. Not even letting me unlock new job abilities until it was complete really cheesed me. It felt I had been pressured into buying HW not for any content, but because if I didn't I'd be wasting all the EXP I'd be getting by slugging through the remnants of the previous game. I definitely think they're going to have to do something about it.

Also, kind of related, but the game really needs a way to speed up dialogue delivery. Like, I want there to be a button that allows me to skip emotes and poo poo and just go to the next text feed. I don't know what it's called, but Tales of Zesitira had it and it was great and going through all the story stuff would have been so much better if I could have done the same. Also if Minfilia would have just told me what the gently caress she wanted me to do instead of, "pray return to the Waking Sands."

I definitely agree with this. 2.0 was fine if a bit slow (trimming would be great) but 2.1 and 2.2 were just in your face horrendous. Going from the conclusion of 2.0 to the menial nonsense like playing hide and seek with kids in 2.1 was especially aggravating. I thought 2.4/2.5/2.55 was fine but those first few patches were awful.

I'd be sad to see everything get skipped, a serious trimming seems way better. If someone dies, its a lot more impactful if you've interacted with them over a series of MSQs instead of just as a cutscene montage.

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!

brokenknee posted:

RP PLAYERS~*~ on servers like Balmung or some poo poo.

Balmung blargh blargh. The people are nice and the raid community is fine if you know where to look. We've cleared A7S and NidEX, working on A8S bots.

Try to not pigeonhole an entire server based on a few people.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

URL grey tea posted:

Balmung blargh blargh. The people are nice and the raid community is fine if you know where to look. We've cleared A7S and NidEX, working on A8S bots.

Try to not pigeonhole an entire server based on a few people.

so how long of an erp session did it take for quickthinx and nidhogg to die of embarrassment?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

brokenknee posted:

Balmung is great.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I also came into the game after Heavensward, and even though I was playing through 2.0 religiously, at least half my time was spent running around, backtracking and doing fetch and carry quests. There was only one time a tedious quest calmed my heart, and that was the soup quest. My reaction had to have been priceless.

I'm not burnt out, but I definitely pace myself in 3.X and I am glad there's less tedium in the MSQ and that which is there has a reason to it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Tortolia posted:

I assume for Paladin Animas there's no need to throw accuracy on them and just go with crit/det/speed?

Of course I am not doing parry.

Never put accuracy on weapons unless you're a healer. Don't quote me on the healer part.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Fister Roboto posted:

Never put accuracy on weapons unless you're a healer. Don't quote me on the healer part.

It's still useful, they haven't actually fixed the accuracy problem with healers yet.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

With the goon authentication thing still being down, is there another way anyone could validate my goon-ness so I can join one of the guilds? It's just not the same playing an MMO with zero human interaction of any kind

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Okay, what is that hat. I must have it.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/playguide/db/item/6c6ba1438ff/

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Vermain posted:

compress the 2.0 MSQ leveling curve so that you're into Heavensward the time you're level 50.

Heavensward leveling is sooooo sloooow though, it's just good that new players can overlevel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

If that doesn't eventually make it stateside, I'll cry actual tears.

• Locked thread