Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

There's no material advantage no, the only compelling reason is potential player interaction.

Some people like the risk. That's the reward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timn
Mar 16, 2010
If anyone has been stuck loving around trying to get their Sirius Corporation rep to allied, get your best medium pad bounty hunting ship together and trek out to HIP 8396 to camp in high-RES. It's way out of the way, but the system consists only of Sirius corp and an anarchy faction, so every single bounty is issued by Sirius. Cruising all the way through cordial to allied by wooking pirates took less than half the time I spent running missions just to get from unfriendly to cordial.

Now I just hope they don't ask for the 500 million in scammed robigo slave deliveries back before giving me the system permit. :v:

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Haven't switched to solo at all yet. How do you tell an NPC from a person?

Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

ShadowMoo posted:

Haven't switched to solo at all yet. How do you tell an NPC from a person?

Radar signature for NPCs are solid, players are hollow. I think.

Do NPCs have the CMDR prefix? I can't remember.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

I'm so glad I wasted a Friday evening grinding for this.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

NPCs are never called CMDR, CMDRs are only players.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
You might find an NPC with the title of "Commander". A NPC will never get 'CMDR' leading their names. I think there are also sanity checks to make sure that CMDR will never show up for an NPC pilot anywhere in their name, even if it's "Darkstar CMDR" or "CMDRbob" for example.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Wonderful! I had one the other day, gave me near the max increase in power which made me smile. The secondary effect entirely negated it. I logged off.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

BitBasher posted:

I haven't played this game that much. Is there a compelling reason to not play solo? Are the rewards better? It seems like more risk for zero rewards.

at least before the AI update it was the only way to ever feel any sense of danger or challenge in the game honestly. the AI was just plain bad before.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Section Z posted:

Will they be dealing with the fact that the "Transport" Orca has absolutly horrid jump efficiency/range for it's job?

Orca costs twice as much off the shelf as a Clipper, but the Clipper still has a laden jump range better than the Orca's Empty, even you filled the Clipper with 180 cargo :shepface:

I mean, it has surprisingly good thrusters. But those hardly help as an inter system shuttle bus.

Man, I hope so. Just in case, I'm mentally preparing for the Orca to stay horribly short-ranged. And the Dolphin and Beluga will probably have terrible jump range, too.

On the other hand, it's kind of amusing to think about Frontier wanting to add tourist spots outside the bubble and making the three premies passenger ships either unable or horribly impractical to reach those. :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope it's a mechanic where you have a RNG body parts VIP passenger in your second seat making demands like "let's go speeding through canyons" and "I want to see this binary up close". With bonuses for each sub task.

Space taxi.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
"I want to see a Farragut battlecruiser being routed"

:getin:

EDIT: Will they model passengers screaming for their lives and choking on their own vomit as I pull FA-off maneuvers while in freefall on a 4g planet? Seems like they should reuse some tech from Planet Coaster for this.

timn fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 18, 2016

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Physics modeled passenger vomit impacting on the inside of your canopy mid interdiction needs to happen.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Well, you can just vent the passenger cabin to get rid of all the vomit. No messy cleanup needed when you reach a docking pad.
While the ship is in witchspace. Absolutely nothing bad will happen.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

IAmTheRad posted:

Well, you can just vent the passenger cabin to get rid of all the vomit. No messy cleanup needed when you reach a docking pad.
While the ship is in witchspace. Absolutely nothing bad will happen.

Except for that one guy and his mobile station. He got lost when trying to jump to the other side of the galaxy and people are now looking for him after he send back creepy messages from wherever he got stranded.

But aside from that, yeah. Witchspace is totally safe.

Edit:

The weirdest typo. gently caress.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 18, 2016

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I've been taking a break from the game since a little before Engineers released and am thinking about coming back as I might be hopping on the VR bandwagon. Two questions.

First, this was posted in this in the House of the Dying Sun thread:

Baiard posted:

I don't know why trying to play Elite Dangerous in VR is a nightmare...

Is this true, and if so what about it is a nightmare? Is it the setup? Tracking?

Second, what's a good ship for a combination of combat mission running + planet landing? I spent most of my time previously bounty hunting and exploring, but I'd like to try something a little different. Is there a single ship that would be good for both? I spent most of my time in a DB:S or a Vulture previously.

e: Looks like I could do a Vulture with a vehicle hangar while only sacrificing a cargo bay. That seems like a good option to me!

kedo fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jun 18, 2016

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.
Tracking is fine on the Rift but the low resolution (you can see the pixel grid) and lack of peripheral vision feel weird to me, plus the headset doesn't sit well on my nose. YMMV.

That said, it changes the game a *lot*. Being able to effortlessly track enemies during fights is amazing. Even docking is easier.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Oh man I didn't see there was an exploration cg on, I'm pretty much half way to the centre of the galaxy right now, but I don't think I can get there and back in 5 days without putting in some hyperspace overtime and just 'honk-n-blow'ing all the way rather than stopping to check every system map for earthlikes etc.

Maybe I turn back now and leave the next trip out to an explorer specced Conda rather than my 31ly Asp.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

You're better served using that exploration data to level up FSD engineers.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

You're better served using that exploration data to level up FSD engineers.

How does that work? Do I already need to be in-touch with them? I have about a year of exploration data (the new bookmark system is awesome for long-distance waypoints), so can I just land at their port and dump it all for rep gain?

Basically: should I get some meta materials and those artifacts BEFORE I see them, or can I just dump the data as soon as I get back to the bubble and then go searching for the stuff they want?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I have about a year of exploration data

You haven't died in a year of gameplay? You're risking your luck with all that juicy exploration data; any exploring I usually do I stop in at the very first station I hit inward that will buy and cash it all in.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

kedo posted:

Is this true, and if so what about it is a nightmare? Is it the setup? Tracking?

Elite is easily one of the best VR experiences out there. Dunno why he said it's a nightmare.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How does that work? Do I already need to be in-touch with them? I have about a year of exploration data (the new bookmark system is awesome for long-distance waypoints), so can I just land at their port and dump it all for rep gain?

Basically: should I get some meta materials and those artifacts BEFORE I see them, or can I just dump the data as soon as I get back to the bubble and then go searching for the stuff they want?

Every engineer has 1-2 methods of gaining reputation (there are some exceptions, apparently): Crafting and something else. For some, like The Dweller, it's selling commodities. Other engineers, like Felicity Farseer, accept exploration data instead. As a rule of thumb, 2 million credits worth of exploration data is enough to jump you up to almost level 4 from zero (I tried this with good old Elvira and jumped from zero to level 3 and ~66% of the way to level 4).

So, in your situation, the min-max way would be to collect 3 Soonthill relics, go to Elvira Martuuk and donate them to gain access, then sell exploration data to her until you are at level 5. After that, you can go to other engineers who accept exploration data and do the same thing again. Repeat until you run out of exploration data.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Nice meltdown.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

Nice meltdown.

nice meltdown

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

:nallears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

:salt::allears:

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
I love this thread. :allears:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Pilchenstein posted:

I love this thread. :allears:

:same:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Still the best elite dangerous video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R4JbYmKb4U

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

NoneMoreNegative posted:

You haven't died in a year of gameplay? You're risking your luck with all that juicy exploration data; any exploring I usually do I stop in at the very first station I hit inward that will buy and cash it all in.

I left the bubble last August, haven't been within 1kly of a mailslot since then. It took me about 3 months to get to Sag A*, but the journey back is taking much longer because ~never not scan everything~ and I only play a few hours per week. I found an unexplored neutron field and grabbed a few hundred of those, which didn't speed things up. There are also a surprising number of Earth-likes and WWs around neutron stars. My most recent EL was around an M-class of all things. Pro-tip: always look at the system map. :eng101:

I am probably playing with fate, and have talked a big game about returning to sell it all in open (didn't see other CMDRs when I was in the bubble unless I was winged with them), but I will probably cave and do the last thousand light years or so in solo. I do have the first outfitting station bookmarked so I can grab some class-A shields and better thrusters when I get back to the bubble. I'm guessing I have between 50-75M in data based on what other people have done with similar trips.

Libluini posted:

Every engineer has 1-2 methods of gaining reputation (there are some exceptions, apparently): Crafting and something else. For some, like The Dweller, it's selling commodities. Other engineers, like Felicity Farseer, accept exploration data instead. As a rule of thumb, 2 million credits worth of exploration data is enough to jump you up to almost level 4 from zero (I tried this with good old Elvira and jumped from zero to level 3 and ~66% of the way to level 4).

So, in your situation, the min-max way would be to collect 3 Soonthill relics, go to Elvira Martuuk and donate them to gain access, then sell exploration data to her until you are at level 5. After that, you can go to other engineers who accept exploration data and do the same thing again. Repeat until you run out of exploration data.

So grab the junk before I go to sell the data, good to know. The FSD upgrades are what I am most interested in, but I would also like to slap some thruster and perhaps a weapon mod or two for SnG. With the boosted FSD, I'll still be able to go farther than now...assuming the RNG doesn't gently caress me over.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I love this.

Baiard
Nov 7, 2011

it's good for you

Eyud posted:

Elite is easily one of the best VR experiences out there. Dunno why he said it's a nightmare.

It's definitely nothing to do with tracking or implementation for me. I just couldn't even finish a trip to another system because the map functionality was barely usable, the text strained my eyes to read, and most UI elements were too small to differentiate. Elite is really a game about knowing different bits of data, and it does a terrible job of managing that data in VR. If Elite is one of the best VR experiences for you because of the head tracking in combat and around stations, sure, but the game isn't only about that. Whereas Dying Sun really is.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Find of the evening, an Earthlike with a big landable moon :cool:

click for 4K huge-o-vision.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

I am probably playing with fate, and have talked a big game about returning to sell it all in open (didn't see other CMDRs when I was in the bubble unless I was winged with them), but I will probably cave and do the last thousand light years or so in solo. I do have the first outfitting station bookmarked so I can grab some class-A shields and better thrusters when I get back to the bubble. I'm guessing I have between 50-75M in data based on what other people have done with similar trips.

So grab the junk before I go to sell the data, good to know. The FSD upgrades are what I am most interested in, but I would also like to slap some thruster and perhaps a weapon mod or two for SnG. With the boosted FSD, I'll still be able to go farther than now...assuming the RNG doesn't gently caress me over.

Doing it in open might be safer, honestly. NPCs are a lot meaner now than they were when you set off. Jetting around the bubble alone in an explorAsp with D-ranked everything and minimal shields is just tempting fate.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

jesus tittyfucking christ coming out of warp is loving fear factor 11 in VR :cry:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Been playing this game for maybe two months and on the way to some Hutton station out in alpha Centauri did I just realize your ship has two types of fuel. :cripes:

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Blind Rasputin posted:

Been playing this game for maybe two months and on the way to some Hutton station out in alpha Centauri did I just realize your ship has two types of fuel. :cripes:

You only have one type of fuel, but a main and a reserve tank. If you've run out, log off and either call a fuel frog if you're part of the frogs, or a fuel rat if not.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The thin, solid bar runs your systems, and when it empties it refills from your main tank. The main tank also powers the FSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Libluini posted:

Man, I hope so. Just in case, I'm mentally preparing for the Orca to stay horribly short-ranged. And the Dolphin and Beluga will probably have terrible jump range, too.

On the other hand, it's kind of amusing to think about Frontier wanting to add tourist spots outside the bubble and making the three premies passenger ships either unable or horribly impractical to reach those. :v:

Yeah, if they actually gave it a nice FSD efficiency (It may have a heavy mount, but that's not really much going for it on the combat front) I might grab one just on principle for transport stuff despite the cost. Even though I would be better off overall finally buying a clipper.

As it is, an Orca is just an insult to any passengers you have no matter how pretty it is. Shoving fuel scoops and fuel tanks into it is no real answer, unless you also think the Bullet Train should stop for gas between stations :v:

The only way the Orca will see much play for passenger stuff as it is, would be if Frontier heavily restricts what ships are even allowed to take passengers, and the sort who just barf out the word "Immersion" nonstop for any and all game design talks, and think you should use that "waste of a Friday night" power plant Nostalgia rolled out of gratitude to the engineers hard work.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jun 19, 2016

• Locked thread