Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thanks alot assbag
Feb 18, 2005

BLUUUUHHHHHH

Davoren posted:

Got this game, really enjoying it, yadda yadda yadda. Had a rough start, then picked up enough speed to run face first into the chapter 4 boss. Decided to dig a little deeper into the game mechanics and holy poo poo theres so much stuff to do and to learn in this game, what the heck have I signed up for?

A game that starts off bad, then gets really fun and good, and then drives itself off a cliff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

It's okay, I take no damage when I jump off cliffs!

Right now I have to figure out what I'm going to do about armor, the heavy/defense versus light/upgrades and my best stuff is store bought which can't be ideal.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

Davoren posted:

and my best stuff is store bought which can't be ideal.

The good stuff is gonna be store stuff until postgame, at which point you have to find the miniscule patches of Lv. 60+ enemies for the reeeeaal good stuff.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Davoren posted:

It's okay, I take no damage when I jump off cliffs!

Right now I have to figure out what I'm going to do about armor, the heavy/defense versus light/upgrades and my best stuff is store bought which can't be ideal.

I found there was no real reason to get anything but the heaviest armor, except for the armor bonuses you get.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!

Davoren posted:

Got this game, really enjoying it, yadda yadda yadda. Had a rough start, then picked up enough speed to run face first into the chapter 4 boss. Decided to dig a little deeper into the game mechanics and holy poo poo theres so much stuff to do and to learn in this game, what the heck have I signed up for?

It's real good and might be my favorite Wii U game so far

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Huh, I just got a Bewitched Glaive: Receding Rust in a treasure deal, I can't equip it for another 33 levels but a quick google suggests I might have lucked out here?

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Its a post game item, and the best ether damage longsword in the game. This is nice because there is a skill (core crusher, +up to 150% damage to any enemy) and skill (blossom dance, pierces defenses) that synergize well with it to make a really damaging build. Its not absolutely necessary, but its a very nice find.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Always accept Treasure Deals. Unless I am personally sending Phoenixes I'm farming to my friend, then never accept treasure deals.

(I've finished with the game so always accept treasure deals)

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I think other people must not know about them or something, as I always go in for them, and I think I've won every single one.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I just tend to to take them, partly cause I'm max level now so have to search for them to sell them off.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I feel like Im missing something when I try and play this. At the moment Im mostly confused by equipment.

How do I get anything thats actually good? I have so many pieces of kit from murdering my way across the continents, questing and from levelling up arms manufacturers but its all rubbish compared to what characters are already wearing. Ive been playing for over 30 hours and only just found something with better stats than what Lin started with.

Everything in the shop, is far worse than pieces Ive found even when they are 10 levels lower. Id say for every 20 drops I get there is one piece that is a couple of points better than one piece of kit one of my characters is wearing.

Am I just super unlucky or have I missed something that makes kit good? Even with AMs around level 4 so far its still a bunch of kit that looks different but is at best on par with what Im already wearing.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Senerio posted:

Always accept Treasure Deals. Unless I am personally sending Phoenixes I'm farming to my friend, then never accept treasure deals.

(I've finished with the game so always accept treasure deals)

Wait, what is a treasure deal?

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
If you're in a squad, people will randomly offer a piece of loot they got to the rest of the squad for whatever reason. You can then press a button (it's been forever since I played the game so I don't remember which button) to accept the deal, and it will randomly give the item to someone who accepted. Always accept treasure deals. Worst that can happen is that nothing happens.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Lethemonster posted:

I feel like Im missing something when I try and play this. At the moment Im mostly confused by equipment.

How do I get anything thats actually good? I have so many pieces of kit from murdering my way across the continents, questing and from levelling up arms manufacturers but its all rubbish compared to what characters are already wearing. Ive been playing for over 30 hours and only just found something with better stats than what Lin started with.

Everything in the shop, is far worse than pieces Ive found even when they are 10 levels lower. Id say for every 20 drops I get there is one piece that is a couple of points better than one piece of kit one of my characters is wearing.

Am I just super unlucky or have I missed something that makes kit good? Even with AMs around level 4 so far its still a bunch of kit that looks different but is at best on par with what Im already wearing.

The raw stats don't matter as much as the skills. Ranged attack or weapon attack bonuses will boost a gun's damage much more than a few points of raw damage, for example. But until very late game you'll probably just want to throw on whatever, and put NPCs in store bought candid and credible gear once you get the treasure sensor slot on those, makes getting stuff much easier.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

So... apparently the story never ends, huh?

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, it sucks. Fortunately, it sucks all along so you don't really care.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Honestly, I was totally on board until the post-credits sequence. Although, I've been treating the story missions like filler that I only need to do to unlock progression stuff. I've been loving the whole unfolding narrative in the side missions about growing the city, integrating all these aliens, dealing with diplomacy, xenophobia, expansion, and all this crazy poo poo. I've been loving that.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Finally about to start playing this.

Are there any tips in regards to what classes/skills to choose? I'm not sure if this is a game where I can dig myself into a hole with bad choices when it comes to leveling up.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Inverness posted:

Are there any tips in regards to what classes/skills to choose? I'm not sure if this is a game where I can dig myself into a hole with bad choices when it comes to leveling up.

You can switch classes whenever you want so it's not that big of a deal. I don't remember the names, but picking the sword/rifle class is probably the easiest path to take first. Avoid the knife/raygun stuff until later when you understand stuff better and have a class branch mastered.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Senerio posted:

If you're in a squad, people will randomly offer a piece of loot they got to the rest of the squad for whatever reason. You can then press a button (it's been forever since I played the game so I don't remember which button) to accept the deal, and it will randomly give the item to someone who accepted. Always accept treasure deals. Worst that can happen is that nothing happens.

You press minus (-) to enter a treasure deal and can set up your own in the loot menu. Unfortunately you can't put stuff in your inventory into a treasure deal. On the bright side you get some division points too.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Inverness posted:

Technically you can screw yourself over if you use up all your points for upgrading arts/skills, since there's only a repeatable method of getting them in post-game, but in reality upgrade something twice to see if you like it, since its only the last couple levels that are expensive.

Oh, and you may want to switch characters early game, put Elma at the top of the list to take advantage of positional damage and Ghost Factory, for instance, while the Avatar is still squishy and noobish.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Level Mechanical.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Safety Scissors posted:

Level Mechanical.

Safety Scissors posted:

Level Mechanical.

Safety Scissors posted:

Level Mechanical.

Safety Scissors posted:

Level Mechanical.

This cannot be stressed enough

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Safety Scissors posted:

Level Mechanical.

Holy gently caress, do this first thing. And not just once, Mechanical should be leveling priority numero uno until at least the third level. At that point, go ahead and put some levels in the other field skills.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Finally today I have completed like all of my goals in this game. Map 100% explored, Gradvius or whatever that one fucker with like 100,000,000 hp is called. Only took like half an hour to make the most basic build and ten minutes of fighting to take him down.

I could go for chievos or holofigures, but gently caress that.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

That was how I handled it too

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Davoren posted:

Honestly, I was totally on board until the post-credits sequence. Although, I've been treating the story missions like filler that I only need to do to unlock progression stuff. I've been loving the whole unfolding narrative in the side missions about growing the city, integrating all these aliens, dealing with diplomacy, xenophobia, expansion, and all this crazy poo poo. I've been loving that.

Yeah. It doesn't just leave aspects of the world unexplored, it specifically calls out some elements and then ignores that it did so.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I like the big robots

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Improbable Lobster posted:

I like the big robots

See, this guy's got his priorities straight.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I misread promotional material and thought robot soldiers would be one of the playable races and was so stoked to play Chappie exploring Pandora

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d7ic3gcH_o

Here is a TV advert for condoms we've got in the UK right now. Anyone who's spent way too long in New LA in the day will understand why I keep curiously glancing up at the TV whenever it loving comes on.

I need to get back into this game. Last I played I was trying to do L's questline I think. You fight Telethia during his questline right? Is it sufficiently nerfed in any way?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Sudden Javelin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d7ic3gcH_o

Here is a TV advert for condoms we've got in the UK right now. Anyone who's spent way too long in New LA in the day will understand why I keep curiously glancing up at the TV whenever it loving comes on.

Honestly was expecting "can't see youuuu, can't feel youuuu"

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Sudden Javelin posted:

I need to get back into this game. Last I played I was trying to do L's questline I think. You fight Telethia during his questline right? Is it sufficiently nerfed in any way?

Totally, don't stress over it.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I started playing Xenoblade recently--the first one, that is, on the 3DS--and I assume there's crossover appeal with this thread so....

What do I do with money? Doing the quests as they come up seems to shower you with so much gear that I never have to buy anything with the gold I earn on top of that (not to mention overleveled). Even rebuilding Colony 6 is barely putting a dent in my funds. I guess there are worse problems to have, but it's hard to believe the game was meant to be played like this.

Does the growth curve ever even out? Or was I expected to tell 3/4 of the NPCs to go pound sand and run their own goddamn errands?

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
There's like 600 quests, and only 70 of those are Story quests. Do as many as you want, or none. Most of the 1star quests are fetch quests, and you'll have to actually work at a region for a while to get to the fun ones that build character and do interesting things.

You will never have money issues, and never buy gear from a shop. The stuff you find is always better. You can use a big guide like THIS ONE though to find out which shops might sell the consumables you need to complete quests, or where a certain NPC lurks.

Personally, I like to do enough quests to where I don't have to worry about actually losing to the boss, but still enjoying a nice challenge, so I'll be the same level or slightly overlevelled. Picking and choosing certain big quests and actually doing them all the way can give you some sick as all hell gear and gems though. I always finish the Giants quest in the marsh because finishing it gives you like 5000 xp and rank 4 gems like 8 hours into the game.

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 1, 2016

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Money is used to buy the skill manuals that let you improve them past a certain point.
They're super duper expensive so you WILL run out of money when you start being able to buy them.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Counterpoint; by merely completing side quests and selling the lovely loot they drop because you're doing them, you will have infinite money

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

That has generally been my experience, yes. I went down the list and bought any I had missed. Still just shy of half a million gold.

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
What level do you guys suggest being at/around when going up to the last chapter?

Also, are there any good places for leveling up past 50 or 60 (i'm just about 60 but most of my team is in the mid to late 50s)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

SylvainMustach posted:

What level do you guys suggest being at/around when going up to the last chapter?

Also, are there any good places for leveling up past 50 or 60 (i'm just about 60 but most of my team is in the mid to late 50s)?

Do you have an Ares 90 yet?

If so, go into that big flower at the top of Noctilum and then use that area of effect attack to kill all those bugs around the level 90 tyrant bug and then kill the tyrant. Lots of experience.

• Locked thread