Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Linguica posted:

clippy saying it looks like you're writing a [X] except it's an auto-accepted skype video call from bangalore

please do the needful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

You know what I always thought was weird though, was my 1080p Panasonic plasma could only do 1024 x 768 over VGA. Why is that the case? That always seemed kind of weird. Is it actually putting out a 1024 x 768 image? I thought flat screens had to do their native resolution only (and then upscale or downscale)? Why the hell would the VGA port be limited? I don't really care because I never use it except for Dreamcast but it always seemed strange to me.

Yes.

They used non-square pixels, probably because they had trouble producing amazingly thin plasma elements in an actually appropriate square-pixel resolution, not at 1080p for the same reason, and not just at 720p because they wanted to sell to corporate meeting rooms and board rooms, which half the time expected 1024x768 because standard monitors and projectors and things.

This makes for the substrate of one of the busiest intersections in Hell, if you're wondering.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
it looks like you're writing a resignation letter; we've updated your LinkedIn profile automatically and disabled your employee access card for you

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Athletic Footjob posted:

it looks like you're looking for a new job; we've updated your LinkedIn profile automatically and disabled your employee access card for you

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/NoMansSky/status/743956071337828352

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
rupert murdoch owns the word sky

jesus that's some eye-rolling ham-fisted commentary, real life, sort your poo poo and be more subtle

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Too absurd for the Onion.

Is everyone on Earth a reincarnation of a war criminal or something?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

they're going to scrub linkedin for people who say they're experts ms word because they know how to superscript text

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I don't really care though, because it's the living room TV which is above a fireplace and the TV is almost touching the ceiling so no way am I gonna benefit from it being 1080p or 4k.

i loving hate when people put their TVs up high and force you to crane your neck to watch them.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

*learns how to sum a column*

*is endorsed by coworkers as an excel expert*

*is incorporated directly into the microsoft excel help panel as an unpaid expert*

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Linguica posted:

clippy saying it looks like you're writing a [X] except it's an auto-accepted skype video call from bangalore

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
https://twitter.com/counternotions/status/744179148566859780

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

i loving hate when people put their TVs up high and force you to crane your neck to watch them.

for some reason it doesn't bother me (you don't need to adjust your neck or anything), but there was no other realistic place in the living room to put it since we took a wall down that leads to the kitchen :shrug:

lots of people do it:

(unfortunately this not my actual home)

not much different than when you are at a bar and they have a TV up a bit higher than eye level.

don't worry though, we've already punished ourselves enough with never being able to have a TV larger than 50" in the living room. and mounting a 50" plasma from 2006 was only slightly terrifying

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

qirex posted:

there's probably not one plasma now that can even hit 70% of its original brightness but dudes all stockholm syndromed

You act like they ever open their drapes lmao

Apr 7, 2003

Last Chance posted:

Cool fact: No one has actually ever done this ever. It only exists in advertisements.

Apr 7, 2003

The TV mounted over a fireplace mantle? Yeah, that's fiction. No one has ever done that. After two hours of craning their necks to see a TV like that, anyone who has actually done this would have died from muscle and spinal cord damage.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Since the new Xboxen won't even support Kinect, as confirmed at E3, let's pour out a 40 for the last great MS boondoggle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgJqliVWSSg

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Cardboard Box A posted:

Since the new Xboxen won't even support Kinect, as confirmed at E3, let's pour out a 40 for the last great MS boondoggle

It "will" but only if you get one of those USB converter thingies they sell for hooking Kinect up to a PC.

Apr 7, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

fuckin lol at anyone who ever paid anything for a console

dude i work with bought an xbone, then a PS4 for The Show, then he traded his PS4 for a Wii U. lol.

TerminalRaptor
Nov 6, 2012

Mostly Harmless

Citizen Tayne posted:

The TV mounted over a fireplace mantle? Yeah, that's fiction. No one has ever done that. After two hours of craning their necks to see a TV like that, anyone who has actually done this would have died from muscle and spinal cord damage.

the hell are you on about? plenty of people do this; it sucks and is stupid, but it happens all the time.

Apr 7, 2003

TerminalRaptor posted:

the hell are you on about? plenty of people do this; it sucks and is stupid, but it happens all the time.

Actually, no one actually does this, and you're dumb and loving stupid.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

TerminalRaptor posted:

lomarf

Apr 7, 2003

Fat retarded computer man who has never interacted with anyone outside of his parent's subdivision: "The TV goes up here, right?"

Person who gets paid money to do whatever a fat person with money likes: "yeah! Whatever you want!"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Citizen Tayne posted:

Actually, no one actually does this, and you're dumb and loving stupid.

lol tori

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Citizen Tayne posted:

Person who gets paid money to do whatever a fat person with money likes: "yeah! Whatever you want!"

tbf that's most jobs in America.

also my tv is mounted above the fireplace, the mount angles it down so my neck doesn't hurt when I look at it. I'm also not fat.

Thanks for reading.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

for some reason it doesn't bother me (you don't need to adjust your neck or anything), but there was no other realistic place in the living room to put it since we took a wall down that leads to the kitchen :shrug:

lots of people do it:

(unfortunately this not my actual home)

not much different than when you are at a bar and they have a TV up a bit higher than eye level.

don't worry though, we've already punished ourselves enough with never being able to have a TV larger than 50" in the living room. and mounting a 50" plasma from 2006 was only slightly terrifying
terrible decisions.

tv should be at eye level. thats the law

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i have a ps4 and it is quite good mostly on account of having bloodborne which btw is awesome

it also allows me to videogame without having to have any windows in my life which is also worthwhile

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
tiny manlet, digging trench for his tv: my neck hurts this is still to high;,

tall cool guy; drilling into colonial era bricks to mount Pioneer 720p plasma: loving smooth

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Last Chance posted:

terrible decisions.

tv should be at eye level. thats the law

If it were eye level, it would be in the fireplace! Which is probably the proper place for it if you've seen NBC's recent primetime programming!!!!

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Mr Dog posted:

i have a ps4 and it is quite good mostly on account of having bloodborne which btw is awesome

it also allows me to videogame without having to have any windows in my life which is also worthwhile

if you like bloodborne i suggest you try dark souls 3 on your ps4, you will find it extremely needs-suiting

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Citizen Tayne posted:

fuckin lol at anyone who ever paid anything for a console

dude i work with bought an xbone, then a PS4 for The Show, then he traded his PS4 for a Wii U. lol.

the ps4 and wii u are good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

duTrieux. posted:

*learns how to sum a column*

*is endorsed by coworkers as an excel expert*

*is incorporated directly into the microsoft excel help panel as an unpaid expert*

oh gently caress its the formalisation of being the "guy who knows computers"

time to delete all my endorsements

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

JewKiller 3000 posted:

if you like bloodborne i suggest you try dark souls 3 on your ps4, you will find it extremely needs-suiting

ds3 was incredibly disappointing because it was basically a gigantic sloppy blowjob for ds1 nerds that was terrified to do anything different from ds1 the citizen kane of bideo games

also there is literally one non garbage build unlike ds2 which had like 15 that were pretty well balanced. but no god forbid any long ranged attack ever be even slightly effective because that would just be Easy and this is dark souls silly

this is mostly on account of them giving enemies Bloodborne levels of agility and damage output without making the player as agile and powerful as they were in bb to match. So instead of big slow weapons merely having different tradeoffs compared to BROADSWORD R1 UNTIL DEAD they are just straight up useless.

Apr 7, 2003

Dislike button posted:

tbf that's most jobs in America.

also my tv is mounted above the fireplace, the mount angles it down so my neck doesn't hurt when I look at it. I'm also not fat.

Thanks for reading.

Nope.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
my tv is at a comfortable angle to watch slightly elevated but in direct field of vision when seated

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i stand over my tv while watching reruns of seinfeld and screaming into a ham sandwich to show dominance

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Siljmonster posted:

i stand over my tv while watching reruns of seinfeld and screaming into a ham sandwich to show dominance

same, but pastrami

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Dog posted:

ds3 was incredibly disappointing because it was basically a gigantic sloppy blowjob for ds1 nerds that was terrified to do anything different from ds1 the citizen kane of bideo games

also there is literally one non garbage build unlike ds2 which had like 15 that were pretty well balanced. but no god forbid any long ranged attack ever be even slightly effective because that would just be Easy and this is dark souls silly

this is mostly on account of them giving enemies Bloodborne levels of agility and damage output without making the player as agile and powerful as they were in bb to match. So instead of big slow weapons merely having different tradeoffs compared to BROADSWORD R1 UNTIL DEAD they are just straight up useless.

nice meltdown.

i've never played a souls and picked a weapon that looked cool and eventually beat the game but good to know there is apparently only a single way to do it.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mr Dog posted:

i'm a ds1 nerd and love me some sloppy bj that must be why i liked ds3 so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
take it to the video games thread u nerds!! god!

• Locked thread