Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

WatchOS 3 comes in "the fall." I'd expect new hardware (if it's coming) with that. So September/October is probably likely. Certainly not before the update for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Oh, a gallery of other new features they didn't mention at the keynote. You can turn off screenshots!

http://www.cultofmac.com/433372/big-watchos-3-features-you-dont-know-about/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Endless Mike posted:

WatchOS 3 comes in "the fall." I'd expect new hardware (if it's coming) with that. So September/October is probably likely. Certainly not before the update for obvious reasons.

EDIT: Oh, a gallery of other new features they didn't mention at the keynote. You can turn off screenshots!

http://www.cultofmac.com/433372/big-watchos-3-features-you-dont-know-about/

I accidentally "discovered" that Mickey talks yesterday while driving, thought I was crazy for a minute.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Explain

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
If you're using either Disney watch face tapping it will have them tell the time.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If WatchOS 3 ends up being as good as I hope it is then I'll be way happier with getting the watch a while back instead of still be waiting for the 2nd gen. The only thing I could go for hardware wise is GPS so I can run without the phone but even that I is not essential. Since I can just run with my phone.
Yeah my biggest issue was speed and they appear to be addressing that (...at least for the 10-15 apps in dock and w/complications), so my want for a new watch went down big time. Kinda debating AppleCare now too, warranty runs out next week and I just dropped mine off cause the speaker became inaudible (more so than usual :v:), would be $329 out of warranty. Course I could just get a Sport one on sale if anything happens again I guess.

And having been without the watch for a few days now I can say I miss it.
http://youtu.be/4ZBwSfvtJCA

Apparently does it even on silent according to a post I saw on Reddit.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

japtor posted:

Yeah my biggest issue was speed and they appear to be addressing that (...at least for the 10-15 apps in dock and w/complications), so my want for a new watch went down big time. Kinda debating AppleCare now too, warranty runs out next week and I just dropped mine off cause the speaker became inaudible (more so than usual :v:), would be $329 out of warranty. Course I could just get a Sport one on sale if anything happens again I guess.

And having been without the watch for a few days now I can say I miss it.

http://youtu.be/4ZBwSfvtJCA

Apparently does it even on silent according to a post I saw on Reddit.

Running Dev 1 of watch os3, I can tell you its like they somehow put a new cpu in the thing. The difference in app load time (maybe not the first time you open it, but every time after) its just night and day. It feels like a new watch.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

japtor posted:

would be $329 out of warranty.
:stare:

I assume you have a Watch not a Watch Sport?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

badjohny posted:

Running Dev 1 of watch os3, I can tell you its like they somehow put a new cpu in the thing. The difference in app load time (maybe not the first time you open it, but every time after) its just night and day. It feels like a new watch.

According to... Gruber, I think it was, the Apple engineers were so worried about the battery giving out before a full day of use that they kind of gimped app refreshes (among other things) to conserve power. Most people ended their day with 50+% left in the tank, so I guess they have some leeway there.

Now the interesting thing to me is that if you use the workout tracking for more than an hour you WON'T have much battery left before you go to sleep. So much so that if all these changes come into effect I bet I'll run out of juice from time to time. I wonder what they're doing about that.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

:stare:

I assume you have a Watch not a Watch Sport?
Yeah space black, not sure if it's any more than the regular steel one for repairs. I remember reading it was expensive before but still had a :stare: too when I saw it myself.

Agronox posted:

According to... Gruber, I think it was, the Apple engineers were so worried about the battery giving out before a full day of use that they kind of gimped app refreshes (among other things) to conserve power. Most people ended their day with 50+% left in the tank, so I guess they have some leeway there.

Now the interesting thing to me is that if you use the workout tracking for more than an hour you WON'T have much battery left before you go to sleep. So much so that if all these changes come into effect I bet I'll run out of juice from time to time. I wonder what they're doing about that.
I remember wishing that they'd have a minimal always on mode cause all that extra battery life (still do!). But yeah I'll probably be cutting it close on long workout days unless they still managed to work more of their battery magic even with the improvements. Glad to see the performance working out though, hell I think I'd only pin a few apps anyway.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Damnit, posting to see the ghost post.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

So is the old app cloud gone? What about the friend wheel that the side button used to control?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

japtor posted:

I remember wishing that they'd have a minimal always on mode cause all that extra battery life (still do!).
You can always put it in power reserve mode whenever you want. Having to basically reboot it to turn that mode off kind of makes that worthless, though.

I'm just hoping the update gets rid of the stupid long "Waiting" when you go to check your pulse (while not in a workout). Nothing like performance being stomped by a $9 fingertip oximeter.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

AdmiralViscen posted:

So is the old app cloud gone? What about the friend wheel that the side button used to control?
Read that as cloud app and got all confused. It's still there with the crown/home button, but the friend wheel thing is gone afaik. Not sure if there's a contacts app or anything, but I guess you just go through Messages/Phone now.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

You can always put it in power reserve mode whenever you want. Having to basically reboot it to turn that mode off kind of makes that worthless, though.

I'm just hoping the update gets rid of the stupid long "Waiting" when you go to check your pulse (while not in a workout). Nothing like performance being stomped by a $9 fingertip oximeter.
Power reserve doesn't even keep the time on actually (gotta hit a button iirc), but I meant like stripped down clock faces and notification dot for minimal OLED use, and fade everything else in on raise or something. It's just annoying when the screen doesn't come on when I just want to check the time.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I guess this can happen. Not mine but a friend sent me the video.

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night
I just had the same issue with the HR sensor on the back. Apple wants $199 for an out-of-warranty repair.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Stutes posted:

I just had the same issue with the HR sensor on the back. Apple wants $199 for an out-of-warranty repair.

That's a load of horse poo poo for something like 30 days out of warranty. I'm surprised apple didn't just replace it.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

That's a load of horse poo poo for something like 30 days out of warranty. I'm surprised apple didn't just replace it.

How many days out of warranty justifies an exception? It's a slippery slope.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
AppleCare is reasonably priced for the watches. Why didn't you get it?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Yeah like $30 or something.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

How many days out of warranty justifies an exception? It's a slippery slope.

Well it seems like something that is clearly a manufacturing defect.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Well it seems like something that is clearly a manufacturing defect.

My question still stands

Biodome
Nov 21, 2006

Gerry
Apple Watch and iPad are the only things that are even kinda worth getting AppleCare on. $49 to replace an iPad Pro, like $399 without it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Biodome posted:

Apple Watch and iPad are the only things that are even kinda worth getting AppleCare on. $49 to replace an iPad Pro, like $399 without it.

I didn't realize it was that cheap.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Yeah like $30 or something.
For those that don't know, AppleCare for the watch is $50, and the replacement deductible is $69. Or it was last September.

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

The watch always gives me duplicate email notifications from GitHub, and only GitHub. I only get one on my phone and I have no idea what would cause the watch to notify me twice and it's really loving annoying. gently caress you, Tim!

Stutes
Oct 13, 2005

Tonight's the Night

Jose Oquendo posted:

AppleCare is reasonably priced for the watches. Why didn't you get it?

I didn't realize the Apple Watch would be on an 18+ month cycle - I assumed that I'd upgrade to an Apple Watch 2 and never have a significant gap in warranty period.

Regardless, I went back to the Apple Store today ready to bite the $200 bullet. As the Genius was filling out the repair info he determined I was eligible for a defect capture program that apparently just rolled out - after answering a few questions about what brands of sunscreen the watch had been exposed to, they went ahead and shipped it off for a free repair/replacement :woop:

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Yeah, they rolled out that replacement program like 1 or 2 days ago.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
As an aside my favorite apple watch feature is the one that reminds me to go for a smoke stand up every hour. :v:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

robodex posted:

As an aside my favorite apple watch feature is the one that reminds me to go for a smoke stand up every hour. :v:

I'm glad they're updating that for handicapped people.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
How do you guys track swimming? When I tracked it as "other" it gave me something ridiculous like 700 kcal, when I leave it off, it'll just give me 100 kcal, both for about 45 minutes of swimming. Both with the watch locked.

I know calorie tracking is inaccurate as hell, I'm just curious if there's something I've missed for swimming.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Zwille posted:

How do you guys track swimming? When I tracked it as "other" it gave me something ridiculous like 700 kcal, when I leave it off, it'll just give me 100 kcal, both for about 45 minutes of swimming. Both with the watch locked.

I know calorie tracking is inaccurate as hell, I'm just curious if there's something I've missed for swimming.
Officially there's nothing for it afaik, not even supposed to swim with I think, but there might be third party apps? I read somewhere in watchOS 3 you can label the "other" workouts to whatever you want at least, so that'll be...something. Kinda curious, how do your HR readings look while swimming?

Found this for swimming calorie burn rates, which may make that 700 look either more or less ridiculous:
http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/how-many-calories-does-swimming-burn

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Oh, thanks for the link!

quote:

A 205-pound person swimming freestyle for one hour will burn 931 calories swimming fast, and 651 calories swimming slower.

Seems to check out, even if going by 180 pounds, assuming that's not for pro athletes :v: . I wasn't swimming fast by any means.

I'm not checking the sensor while swimming what with the locked screen but the average heart rate was 88 bpm for the training. It's usually 130ish for running, with calories in the 700-800s.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Question for owners of the leather loop band: Does your band have a QR code lookin' thing on the chrome part that slides into the watch?

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
The leather loop does not have a chrome part that slides into the watch.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Taima posted:

Question for owners of the leather loop band: Does your band have a QR code lookin' thing on the chrome part that slides into the watch?

Where did you get your band? I wonder if it's a legit one. I've got a few different bands, but no leather ones, and I don't see any codes on anything.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
If you scan the QR code does it give you an offer from the prince of Nigeria?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Just tried out the Mac Unlock feature. Pretty nifty. It does require two-factor authentication to be turned on for your iCloud account, though.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 6, 2016

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

Just tried out the Mac Unlock feature. Pretty nifty. It does require two-factor authentication to be turned for your iCloud account, though.
There appears to be a key word missing in that last sentence.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

On!

Two-factor must be turned on. It was a good reminder for me because I have had two-step turned on for a long but never got around to using TFA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there a public beta for the new watch os?

edit: Nevermind, it's offering to install the profile to my watch which makes it seem like yes.

• Locked thread