Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

That's therapy for our good old boys

Because it's 2016.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
I'm 80% sure this isn't satire.

quote:

An organizer of a golf tournament says he's not sorry for putting up a target displaying a photo of Premier Rachel Notley's face on a golf course.

Ernest Bothi, president of the Brooks Big Country Oilmen's Association, said the sign was displayed at a tournament held Friday at the Brooks Golf Club.

He said the photo of Notley was placed intentionally and was meant to be a target. Although he said no one actually hit the display, Bothi defended his right to have it there.

"I'm the president of the organization. I take full responsibility for it. And I did it because I see a lot of frustrated people out there," Bothi said.

"It's called freedom of speech. We're still living in Canada and as far as I know, it hasn't become a communist nation, not as of yet."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/sorry-for-what-golf-tournament-organizer-unapologetic-for-rachel-notley-target-1.3642248

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2zlPNGuPbw&t=16s

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

PT6A posted:

Alcohol is easy to find in senior high because there's people old enough to buy it, as are cigarettes. Junior high is where weed was way, way easier to find than booze or smokes.

Maybe I just went to school with pisstanks, cause a couple of guys in my grade 7 and 8 classes were a reliable source of vodka and ritalin (even if one stupid yob crushed it up and sold it as coke). Our high school was right next to an LCBO so we could've been spoiled there, too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

I thought CBC cancelled Air Farce

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"I like he went for just a casual McDonald's, you know, he was kind of like one of us."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Eh, Nenshi ate at Harvey's once while I was there.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I bet he chewed with his mouth open and walked around waving a limp wrist

No wonder rodeo clown hates him so much!

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Cool. Politicians eat food.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Food is extremely political

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Seat Safety Switch posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWmtwviXxXI

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

infernal machines posted:

I thought CBC cancelled Air Farce

How could you tell?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Seat Safety Switch posted:

At least Harvey's is Canadian :colbert:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

quote:

The federal government is looking at increasing CPP contributions to prop up a middle class that's heavily in debt and has diminished buying power, Liberal MP Steve MacKinnon says.

Finance Minister Bill Morneau is set to meet with his provincial and territorial counterparts on Monday in Vancouver, where beefing up the Canada Pension Plan will be a focus of the talks.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/liberal-mp-ties-need-for-cpp-changes-to-high-household-debt-1.2952108

Oh that's an interesting bailout

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

I think we need to improve occupational safety regulations on the basis that many oil workers are showing evidence of severe brain damage.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

quote:

Ottawa revives Harper-era legal arguments to block pensions for injured vets

Government's handpicked lawyers will argue that Canada does not have a social contract with veterans

By John Paul Tasker, CBC News Posted: Jun 15, 2016 5:10 PM ET Last Updated: Jun 15, 2016 5:25 PM ET

Justice department lawyers will revive legal arguments advanced by the former Harper government to try to block a lawsuit by six Afghan war veterans intent on restoring pensions for injured and wounded soldiers.

CBC News first reported last month that the federal government is taking veterans involved in the Equitas lawsuit back to court to try to block certain benefits for soldiers, despite a Liberal campaign promise to better support them after an era of Conservative cuts.

A peace agreement of sorts, reached by former veterans affairs minister Erin O'Toole, recently expired without any sort of resolution meaning the litigation will now proceed at the B.C. Court of Appeals.

The government's handpicked lawyers will argue that Canada does not have a social contract or covenant with veterans, and that a "scheme providing benefits cannot be said to amount to a deprivation merely because claimant views the benefits as insufficient."

The plaintiffs have argued in court that the lump-sum payment wounded veterans receive under the New Veterans Charter — as opposed to the lifetime pension that was offered to veterans before 2006 — is inadequate compensation, as they receive less money over a lifetime.

In court documents filed this week, the government's top class action lawsuit lawyer, Paul Vickery, said that "the submissions made by [former Conservative attorney-general Rob Nicholson] on hearing of the appeal, as set out in the factum filed by him, accurately reflect the current position of the federal government."

That is a controversial position among many in the veterans community as there is a long-held belief that Canada has a special responsibility to its veterans — a social contract — based on the promise politicians have made for generations to adequately care for those soldiers who are hurt in the line of duty.

"No set of principles exist that can be stated with certainty, understood with clarity, or accepted with unanimity among the people of Canada to define a 'social contract' or 'social covenant' as alleged," the government lawyers argued in 2014, adding there is no fiduciary duty "to place the interests of disabled veterans above the interests of all other Canadians."

Those arguments were later repudiated when O'Toole was brought in to replace the embattled Julian Fantino, who had a fractious relationship with veterans groups.

O'Toole removed Vickery from the case and replaced him with Joel Watson, a litigator from the private sector and himself a former veteran. But after the Liberals defeated the Conservatives last October, the new veterans affairs minister, Kent Hehr, put Vickery back in charge.

"I cannot discuss the specifics of an ongoing court case," Hehr said in a recent statement to CBC News.

The case returns to court on Friday.

Trudeau promised lifetime pensions

The Liberal platform in the last election explicitly promised to restore the pension benefit. "We will re-establish lifelong pensions as an option for our injured veterans, and increase the value of the disability award," the platform reads. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau reaffirmed that commitment in a stump speech on the campaign trail.

The promise was also included in Hehr's mandate letter from the prime minister, but was notably absent from the government's first budget introduced in March, although the government did make substantial new funding commitments to other veterans programs.

Moreover, all parties voted unanimously in favour of a motion introduced by NDP MP Fin Donnelly last May, which recognized a "stand-alone covenant of moral, social, legal and fiduciary obligation exists between the Canadian people … and members of the Canadian Armed Forces who have been injured, disabled or died as a result of military service."

Don Sorochan, the lawyer representing the veterans, said it would be the height of hypocrisy if the Liberal government now rejects those principles in court.

Resolution symbolic, Liberals argue

But government lawyers will do exactly that, according to their memorandum, arguing that the resolution was largely symbolic and does not oblige the government to provide pensions to injured veterans.

"The House of Commons motion referred to by the plaintiffs, while it records the opinion of the then members of Parliament on the matters referred to in the motion, does not have the force of law and cannot bind the federal government," the lawyers wrote.

Trudeau promises lifelong pensions for injured veterans
Sorochan has said that the appeal court should not render a decision in the case without hearing additional evidence, namely that the Liberals explicitly campaigned on restoring pensions and voted for Donnelley's motion. He said the original Harper-era appeals case, from December 2014, is outdated and does not reflect the change in governance.

But the government lawyers batted that suggestion away, saying the plaintiffs have no right to introduce evidence at this stage of the legal proceedings.

"It is not open to the plaintiffs to attempt to introduce evidence on the appeal, since the appeal is from an order made on a pleadings motion, in which no evidence may be tendered," the memorandum reads.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
well gosh, we're not even a quarter of the way into this, and already I'm starting to feel vindicated about the whole 'not trusting the Liberals' thing

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PT6A posted:

As far as I can tell, they are concerned that people with severe PTSD, or spinal cord injury, or whatever could opt to die if they felt their suffering was intolerable, because such people are uniquely "vulnerable" for some unstated reason and we can't treat them as we would any other adult.

I mean, if you have such bad PTSD that you honestly think dying would be a preferable alternative after exhausting other possibilities for treatment, who is the government to say you MUST continue to live? Likewise, although many people with physical disabilities live fulfilling lives, if you honestly would prefer to die and you make the choice to do so rationally, why should the government tell you you can't? At most, we'd need a waiting period after something like that, to make sure you actually want to go through with it after sober consideration.

It's not like the alternative is some sort of walk-in clinic where they take your name and next-of-kin and assist your death in under 10 minutes (or it's free!) or something.
My issue with physician-assisted dying, in the context of mental health issues like PTSD or depression, is why are you bringing the doctor into this in the first place? If you can do it yourself, don't drag me into it.

I mean, aside from the point that those are generally treatable illnesses and should REALLY not be covered under MAID, there's nothing preventing people in that situation from exercising their own autonomy. The human body is spectacularly frail in a few ways, and as CI will no doubt point out our vets seem to have little issue with committing suicide.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Albino Squirrel posted:

My issue with physician-assisted dying, in the context of mental health issues like PTSD or depression, is why are you bringing the doctor into this in the first place? If you can do it yourself, don't drag me into it.

I mean, aside from the point that those are generally treatable illnesses and should REALLY not be covered under MAID, there's nothing preventing people in that situation from exercising their own autonomy. The human body is spectacularly frail in a few ways, and as CI will no doubt point out our vets seem to have little issue with committing suicide.

Is it currently legal to sell tools to explicitly enable suicide, though? Should it be legal with no consultation from medical professionals, both mental and physical? Even if you have the physical capacity to kill yourself somehow, presumably it's still good to be able to do it in a mistake-proof way that doesn't traumatize other people. Arguably, the cleanest and safest way is to have a medical professional assist, or have something explicitly designed to cause death like an "exit bag."

If people want to kill themselves they will find a way, but I think we have an interest in making sure they don't shoot themselves, or jump off buildings, or jump in front of a subway car to do it. We can make sure people aren't doing it in the heat of the moment, and aren't putting others at risk (physically or mentally) in the process.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Albino Squirrel posted:

Life insurance pays out if you do it legally.

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Was anything like this done when Klein, Stelmach, or Redford were Premier?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
All Canadians should kill themselves

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

namaste faggots posted:

C'mon CI, that's some weak-rear end bait. You're really off your game today.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

namaste faggots posted:

There's an entire article about the Libs loving over vets and this is what you've got?

I'm not even angry. I'm disappointed.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

namaste faggots posted:

Still wont help vancouver home prices.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Ikantski posted:

Life insurance pays out if you do it legally.
You can get life insurance that pays out for suicide as long as it's >2 years after you start the policy.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lars Blitzer posted:

With Stelmach, it's a distinct possibility. He was, I would say, equally hated by the oil industry, but more popular among rural sister-loving dipshits.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lars Blitzer posted:

My Stepdad had the similar poo poo for when Kim Campbell was prime minster for a hot second.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

namaste faggots posted:

Only the ones over 30.

And the ones under 30.

And the ones who are 30 okay so yeah, all Canadians.

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot

apatheticman posted:

Still wont help vancouver home prices.

God bless foreign investors.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
I remember Ralph Klein Big Oil Pimp

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

namaste faggots posted:

We do when we decide to stop living. It's perfect

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Weird BIAS posted:

I remember Ralph Klein Big Oil Pimp

That was a classic. Thanks for reminding me of it. There have been a few good ones - I liked the Airdrie(?) "HOME OF PC TRAITOR" trailer as well.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

B.C. Supreme Court Justice Catherine Bruce says she must confront “the elephant in the room” to decide the fate of a Surrey couple found guilty of terrorism for the 2013 Canada Day plot.

The question, she said, was not whether, without the elaborate RCMP sting, the heinous scheme would have occurred but whether John Nuttall and Amanda Korody were even capable of it.

Bruce feared that without police help “not (that the pair) wouldn’t have committed, but couldn’t have committed” the planned bombing at the legislature.

“Given what we’ve seen of their behaviour over the months and months preceding the actual planting on the first of July, what did they do that would indicate they were capable of doing this on their own?” the judge asked.

The prosecution appeared stymied.

A jury convicted Nuttall and Korody a year ago of planting inert bombs in Victoria but their convictions are in abeyance while Bruce rules on defence arguments the duo were entrapped or were victims of police misconduct.

Those proceedings ended Friday after Bruce raised serious qualms about the Crown case.

She suggested that given the extent of police assistance to the poor, recovering addicts — small amounts of money, groceries, access to methadone, transportation, hotel rooms, putative explosives — “a blind person” could have carried out the murderous plan.

“(Police have) taken them there, they’ve given them the resources, they’ve shown them what to do, they’ve told them where to put it, they’ve made the bomb for them, and then they’ve said, ‘OK, it’s right there, take a few steps, drop it,’” Bruce said.

“Now, what you are saying is that’s not entrapment.”

The difference is a finding of entrapment triggers an automatic stay of the proceedings; other kinds of abuse of process require the judge to weigh factors such as the gravity of the offence to decide whether police misconduct was so egregious as to demand the accused walk free.

Bruce was not satisfied and asked how the prosecution thought, for instance, the two could have obtained explosive material if not from the RCMP?

Prosecutor Sharon Steele said Korody had suggested they could buy bullets and empty the cartridges of gunpowder to produce improvised explosive devices.

When the judge pointed out Korody had no identification, so couldn’t go to a gun shop to buy ammunition, Steele said Korody was trying to get her ID.

“Apart from that, which is a bit of a long shot,” Bruce continued, “that she would be able to buy thousands of bullets on her welfare cheque, and get her identification, it was kind of a long-term project that perhaps they didn’t have the focus to accomplish, but you would think that would be, I think, that just seems to be the elephant in the room, doesn’t it?”

The Crown maintained the 2011 converts to Islam were more than capable of carrying out mass murder and that the “innovative” five-month undercover operation was well within the law and expectations of Canadians.

The defence urged Bruce to “consider humanity and the human condition,” recognize the vulnerabilities of Nuttall and Korody and conclude police broke the law in the investigation.

The lonely couple shared a single methadone prescription, lived in a suburban basement suite with its blinds drawn almost constantly, and were struggling to get their lives together on social assistance, often going hungry.

Their lawyers said the two became emotionally attached to the undercover officer (who violated their religious rights by giving them poor spiritual advice) and were afraid of being killed by his RCMP colleagues pretending to be mujahedeen.

Lawyer Mark Jette told the justice she must consider the situation of someone in those circumstances, not someone sitting at home, not necessarily “a law-abiding” person watching TV.

Should the state be exacerbating the trouble such challenged people have just getting by using such a sophisticated snare?

The judge said she would issue a decision July 29 or earlier.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You say tomato, I say conspiracy-to-commit, let's call the whole thing off.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Reminder that leftist thread superstar Helsing cheered the capture of these diabolical terrorist masterminds. Lol

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Guys it's okay that nobody can afford to live in Vancouver that's just the magic of the free market isn't it wonderful???

quote:

Robert Fulford: No need to panic about rising real estate prices — it’s a sign of a healthy economy

Robert Fulford | June 17, 2016 12:46 PM ET

Once I saw a man cry real tears when talking about real estate. It was some years ago, early in the boom, and of course he was from Vancouver. It was at a dinner party in Toronto. The talk turned to houses and this fellow saw a chance to air his grievance. “You know what’s happening, don’t you?” he said. “They’re pushing the prices up so high that soon I won’t be able to buy a house (gasp) in my home town, the city where (tears) I grew up.” He fell silent, overcome by the sheer awfulness of it all.

He was ahead of his time, but these days much of Canada has caught up. When he used “they” he of course meant the rich Chinese who (according to popular belief) have bid up real-estate prices to unprecedented levels. There was more than a trace of anti-Chinese prejudice behind his words. He spoke of his home town, as if that gave him a special right to live there and a reason why everyone else should be less welcome. It was so unfair! And he wrapped his resentment in an impassioned nobody-knows-the-trouble-I’ve-seen tone. Clearly, he had turned real-estate costs into a personal matter.

Something about this subject muddles Canadians, or at least a lot of us. In print or in conversation, we see the rise in real estate as an affront to our values. We are good, solid people, in our own eyes. Perhaps all those long numbers are just too strange for us.

Competition naturally inflates prices, as it alway has. For various reasons there are more buyers than sellers in prosperous cities. Chinese house buyers, fearful of instability in China, look on Vancouver as a safe place to invest. They are not doing something underhanded when they invest in Vancouver, Victoria and Kelowna. In fact, they (and other foreigners) are embracing the Canadian government’s business-immigrant program on precisely the terms it was offered and for precisely the reason it was designed: to stimulate the Canadian economy.

Others might see a welcome infusion of cash from across the Pacific as a benefit, a return on the money we send China for our T-shirts. Certainly many sellers of houses are generously enriched. But a resentful attitude seems to me a form of hysteria that arises from changes in the population.

A favourite theme in conversation is the craziness of it all, the sheer insanity of paying $2.5-million for a house that wouldn’t bring more than a quarter of that a decade ago. But how can it be crazy? Buyers can pay those prices, sellers are happy. A sane response might be satisfaction: if prices go up, it suggests that there’s some health in the economy. But Canadians greet this news as something close to a tragedy. The other day The Globe and Mail called it “the affordability crisis.” There’s a growing opinion that something is wrong and needs fixing, by the government.

The Tyee, an on-line Vancouver news outlet with generally liberal views, ran a piece headed: “Serious About Housing Costs? Ban Foreign Home Sales for Six Months.” The author, Bill Tieleman, a former NDP strategist, wrote that “A six-month ban would give us time to start finding longer term solutions and send a signal to the world that Metro Vancouver is not for sale to the highest bidder as a blue chip investment.”

He insisted that “People with no commitment to B.C. have no business buying residential property purely for speculation.” That’s a federal matter and would require a long wrangle in Ottawa, especially when someone remembers that this wasn’t mentioned when Canada was soliciting wealthy foreigners. And as Justin Trudeau said in December, “We have to be very, very cautious about restricting foreign investment in our country.”

The Vancouver mayor, Gregor Robertson, announced this week his latest creative plan: he will tax people who own empty houses. He claims there are 10,000 houses in Vancouver with no one living in them, presumably because the owners treat them as assets and want them instantly available. That disturbs the mayor, who thinks they should be rented. No one, even the mayor, knows what tax will be. How high would such a penalty have to go in order to persuade owners to rent their houses? And it’s hard to say whether the tax would prove legal if it were challenged in court.

Still, politicians confronting angry voters must be seen to be doing something, even something that the future will consider cockeyed.

National Post

robert.fulford@utoronto.ca

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The RCMP did something stupid and probably utterly useless, but I'm not convinced they did something actually wrong. They should only be prevented from doing it in the future because it's a complete waste of money, not because it had an unsatisfactory result.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Guys it's okay that nobody can afford to live in Vancouver that's just the magic of the free market isn't it wonderful???

It's bad because it's going to strangle the economy when no one other than rich people who don't work can afford to live there. The author is completely correct, however, that the guy whining about how he can't stay in his own home town can go eat poo poo. You don't have some sort of right to be able to live wherever you want for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Just spend the money from the investigation and court case on heroin and give it to them as restitution imo.