Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

On Samsung phones sd cards are treated as external storage for media, with the option to move apps to the card. If you remove the card the app disappears from the phone until you put the card back in.

Basically you can put your huge rear end games on the card without worrying that if it fails it'll take your whole phone down with it.

Can you describe how that works from a technical standpoint?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

LastInLine posted:

SD card automounts as
/storage/extSDCard/

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

MikusR posted:

SD card automounts as
/storage/extSDCard/

Okay and what happens to the stuff in /data/data when you move the app?

It's been a long time since I used the old move to SD card in Gingerbread, but I thought the big pain point was that app developers had to specify what stayed in /data/data and what moved to the card and sometimes the stuff that moved was negligble and the lion's share stayed on the device. So even though you "moved" the app to external storage, you didn't really free up much space in practice (bearing in mind this was the days of the 384MB of storage the Nexus One had). Is this how the Samsung implementation works or does it actually move everything to the card?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

ratbert90 posted:

Coming from a hardware development perspective: gently caress removable media

We had internal micro SD cards on one product I worked on and the next product we spun on the same platform we used an eMMC. It was really nice, considering we glued the micro SD into its slot.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Mr. Powers posted:

We had internal micro SD cards on one product I worked on and the next product we spun on the same platform we used an eMMC. It was really nice, considering we glued the micro SD into its slot.

Most modern electronics use emmc or UFS these days. External SDcards are nothing but dumpster fire trash to deal with and I am glad they are going away more and more. gently caress microSD for anything other than photos and video.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I really feel loving hate doze.

Sure you can leave your phone unplugged overnight and only lose 2% of your batter, but on the other hand if you haven't picked up your phone and used it in a bit NOTHING loving WORKS RIGHT. Phone is just a paperweight anytime it's dozing, and it's really annoying. Specifically Tasker, but other stuff too. Grrrrrrr.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Flesh Forge posted:

Hey dudes I have a Sprint LG Tribute 5, model number LG LS 675. When I try to move apps to the external storage card it prefers to use the internal storage virtual :airquote:storage card:airquote: instead of the actual 32 gig SD card that is installed. I'm sure the external card works, I can browse to it with the file manager and see that photograph have been saved on it with the camera but when I do settings/apps/Move to SD card I can see that the files end up on internal storage/Android instead of on the SD card. It looks like this is a feature that the carrier has built into this build of Android (5.1.1) it isn't something I can change without doing something drastic (rooting the phone). Is there something that I'm missing that would let me get around this so that I can actually store apps on the SD card? Thanks.

To some extent LG is to blame here since they could've gone with a device configuration which had the /sdcard filesystem mapped to the physical SD-card slot (like Google does with 4GB/8GB Android One devices) which would've worked exactly the way you wanted to.

Desk Lamp posted:

I agree with what you're saying, but the sperg in me compels me to point out that Samsung doesn't support adopted storage, their implementation is actually useful.

Desk Lamp posted:

Basically you can put your huge rear end games on the card without worrying that if it fails it'll take your whole phone down with it.

Samsung's "implementation" is just standard Froyo Apps2SD post-Kitkat (where Google added the ability to move to filesystems which aren't /sdcard).

Games are exactly the use-case where it all breaks down for a virtual /sdcard device, since Google Play extension files (the bulk of the download) are mapped to the /obb directory on /sdcard regardless of where the APK lives. There's even more pressure on GearVR compatible devices since Oculus Store apps don't use extension files AND the Oculus SDK requires the flag which prevents huge Oculus APKs from being moved.

The only thing Samsung's implementation is useful for is improving Samsung's bottom line by tricking potential customers into buying carrier S7's with ~16GB of free space (boy it has expandable storage that means it will still be good for VR!!111)

LastInLine posted:

Is this how the Samsung implementation works

Yup, your intuition is correct. It's bad.

ilkhan posted:

Sure you can leave your phone unplugged overnight and only lose 2% of your batter, but on the other hand if you haven't picked up your phone and used it in a bit NOTHING loving WORKS RIGHT. Phone is just a paperweight anytime it's dozing, and it's really annoying. Specifically Tasker, but other stuff too. Grrrrrrr.

Plug in your phone.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vagrancy posted:

ilkhan posted:

Plug in your phone.

My problem is that I have my phone on a Qi charging/battery pack at work and when the phone reaches 100% it stops charging which turns off the Qi charger which causes my phone to stop working. It's not an issue on my Tylt Vus at home because they're plugged in but it's super annoying at work because I can't keep my phone on me because I'm in a physical environment where it would be damaged, I can't leave it on my desk not charging since it will stop working, and I can't use my Qi charger because it will result in the same.

Also I want to say thanks for your posts. They're always informative and I never fail to learn from them (usually I learn that I don't know what the gently caress I'm talking about).

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

What stuff is it that doesn't work during doze? Can't you exclude it?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

What stuff is it that doesn't work during doze? Can't you exclude it?

Everything. I exclude things as I notice them being impaired but it's annoying because I'd really rather the phone work all the time whatever the battery cost.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Vagrancy posted:

To some extent LG is to blame here since they could've gone with a device configuration which had the /sdcard filesystem mapped to the physical SD-card slot (like Google does with 4GB/8GB Android One devices) which would've worked exactly the way you wanted to.

Samsung's "implementation" is just standard Froyo Apps2SD post-Kitkat (where Google added the ability to move to filesystems which aren't /sdcard).

Games are exactly the use-case where it all breaks down for a virtual /sdcard device, since Google Play extension files (the bulk of the download) are mapped to the /obb directory on /sdcard regardless of where the APK lives. There's even more pressure on GearVR compatible devices since Oculus Store apps don't use extension files AND the Oculus SDK requires the flag which prevents huge Oculus APKs from being moved.

The only thing Samsung's implementation is useful for is improving Samsung's bottom line by tricking potential customers into buying carrier S7's with ~16GB of free space (boy it has expandable storage that means it will still be good for VR!!111)

Thanks, this is informative and helpful.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Oh ok

Well I guess you could just exclude everything :v:

Aside from being a bit slow to wake now and again I've not really had any issues with it

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Lemniscate Blue posted:

For the life of me I can't understand how Android Nougat was not the obvious choice.

What, you don't like the cutesy co-branding exercise of Android Nutella?

Come to think of it, what was the saving-face justification for KitKat instead of 'Nestlé are our BFFs and we both like money'?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

Well I guess you could just exclude everything :v:

I hate that it also makes my watch's notifications stale and useless. I've considered doing that, going through one by one and excluding everything but :effort:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

if you have root there are apps you can download (one is called naptime) that let you edit the timeout before doze starts, you could just change the timeout to 12 hours or whatever

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

LastInLine posted:

I hate that it also makes my watch's notifications stale and useless. I've considered doing that, going through one by one and excluding everything but :effort:

You don't like having to swipe away two dozen Hangouts notifications from your watch every single day?!

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

chippy posted:

If you've also got regular USB devices you might want to charge at the same time, this is only $5 more and really good, Anker make good stuff. Both of them will charge as fast as the stock charger.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B019...6FwL&ref=plSrch

Thank you! I think I'll go for the 5-port one, because I do indeed have a couple more devices to charge.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You don't like having to swipe away two dozen Hangouts notifications from your watch every single day?!

I use Hangouts constantly at work (for work) and it's infuriating to see my phone blinking green due to something I addressed an hour ago because my phone has the temerity to be fully charged.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
This might not be the right place to ask, sorry in advance if not:

Today I changed carriers and took the opportunity to jump from Apple to Samsung with a Galaxy S7. I didn't think to turn off iMessages beforehand. Before I left the salesman did have me go through Apple's deregister process to unlink my number from iMessage.

That was three hours ago, and so far, no texts from iPhones are getting through. I used the form on Apple's site, but no dice yet.

Any ideas?

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Soul Glo posted:

Today I changed carriers and took the opportunity to jump from Apple to Samsung with a Galaxy S7. I didn't think to turn off iMessages beforehand. Before I left the salesman did have me go through Apple's deregister process to unlink my number from iMessage.

That was three hours ago, and so far, no texts from iPhones are getting through. I used the form on Apple's site, but no dice yet.

Any ideas?

This is the worst part about switching to Android. I don't have an answer for you, but I went through the same thing a long while back. Good luck.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

This might be really retarded but I apologize in advance: Can cold affect the vibration motor temporarily? I went for a hike and it was really cold and when I turned my phone back on after the hike (it was dry in my backpack the whole time) the vibration didn't work for a while, until it warmed back up and it magically just started vibrating again. It was about 5-8c during the hike.

Nexus 6P, not that it's super relevant.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Soul Glo posted:

Any ideas?

There's a website Apple put up (mostly because of the lawsuit) that lets you turn off iMessage without having to use an iphone. In any case, I think they say it takes a bit (like 72 hours max) for it to complete.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

There's a website Apple put up (mostly because of the lawsuit) that lets you turn off iMessage without having to use an iphone. In any case, I think they say it takes a bit (like 72 hours max) for it to complete.

https://selfsolve.apple.com/deregister-imessage

Yeah, I did that. The site says a few hours, haven't seen that it could take that long. I'll let it go a few days, and then if nothing, I'll start calling Apple, I guess.

My own fault; I never even considered it since I've only ever had iPhones since the flip phone days. Wish the salesperson had said something BEFORE I wiped the phone and traded it in.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, I did that. The site says a few hours, haven't seen that it could take that long. I'll let it go a few days, and then if nothing, I'll start calling Apple, I guess.

My own fault; I never even considered it since I've only ever had iPhones since the flip phone days. Wish the salesperson had said something BEFORE I wiped the phone and traded it in.

Even now, if iOS users try to text me from an existing iOS messaging thread, it's a crapshoot if it comes through or not. I had to tell my friends to delete any threads on their phones I'd been involved in and start fresh.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

LastInLine posted:

I won't pretend to know the technical details but it seemed to work well enough when I used it in the Note 3. If the app was, say 100mb, about 10mb would be left in internal storage after the move.

In Samsung phones I'd say it's still a better alternative than adoptable storage. Since the minimum storage size you can get is 32gb, you can use the card for nothing more than whatever pictures and media you don't have in the cloud already, leaving you with around 24gb of space for apps.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Even now, if iOS users try to text me from an existing iOS messaging thread, it's a crapshoot if it comes through or not. I had to tell my friends to delete any threads on their phones I'd been involved in and start fresh.

I've never had an iPhone with iMessage and I still have this issue.

I think if you log into your Apple ID and change your password that will invalidate your keys and speed up the iMessage shut down process.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

This might be really retarded but I apologize in advance: Can cold affect the vibration motor temporarily? I went for a hike and it was really cold and when I turned my phone back on after the hike (it was dry in my backpack the whole time) the vibration didn't work for a while, until it warmed back up and it magically just started vibrating again. It was about 5-8c during the hike.

Nexus 6P, not that it's super relevant.

Yes it could! Sounds to me like a lovely cable though, as most consumer electronics are rated from 0C to 70C.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Makes sense, thank you!

O__O
Jan 26, 2011

by Cowcaster
pig poop balls

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

FunOne posted:

I've never had an iPhone with iMessage and I still have this issue.

I think if you log into your Apple ID and change your password that will invalidate your keys and speed up the iMessage shut down process.

I did this and started receiving messages again, thanks. I didn't try this because Apple's own site said something about it not doing anything.

But hey, phone's doing what I want it to now, so I'm happy.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Soul Glo posted:

I didn't try this because Apple's own site said something about it not doing anything.

fooled again

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Someone talk me out of getting a Droid Turbo 2.

I have a Nexus 6 and was thinking about trying something different before the new Nexus phones dropped. Originally I thought about the 6P but it sounds like it's not worth the upgrade coming from the 6.

I'm aware I'll be losing all the Nexus updates, but I'd be getting back the Moto Assist features which I loved on my Droid Maxx. And I still get to keep my Qi charging!

Edit:

kitten smoothie posted:

Seems like a terrible time to buy one when it's basically going to be replaced by the Moto Z Force very soon?

While I agree, it's not really on my radar.. I usually stick to picking up something used a year after they've been out.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jun 19, 2016

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Seems like a terrible time to buy one when it's basically going to be replaced by the Moto Z Force very soon?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I have a droid charge. It's garbage and I need a new phone. I don't need the newest thing. It probably has to work with verizon. Doing research on this almost physically hurts me. If verizon is going to be a dick about it and not activate a phone I buy used, then I guess I"ll go to AT&T. This is as far as I've gotten.

The thing that infuriates me about my current droid charge is that it literally never got an OS update, and 90% of things on the play store are unsupported. Also after I put it through the washing machine and it took two weeks to dry out the battery lasts about 26 minutes and it literally never notifies me I have voice mail.

Should I Get a nexus 5/6? My understanding is that nexus products get updates, ever, and that would be nice. I'd also like a phone that doesn't have bloatware.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wouldn't say Nexus gets updates forever (my og Nexus 4 stopped at Android 5) but they do get them first, sometimes in cases where your third party phone is never going to update.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

If update are important to you, get a Nexus. That's really all there is to it.

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

JayKay posted:

Someone talk me out of getting a Droid Turbo 2.

I have a Nexus 6 and was thinking about trying something different before the new Nexus phones dropped. Originally I thought about the 6P but it sounds like it's not worth the upgrade coming from the 6.

I'm aware I'll be losing all the Nexus updates, but I'd be getting back the Moto Assist features which I loved on my Droid Maxx. And I still get to keep my Qi charging!

Edit:

While I agree, it's not really on my radar.. I usually stick to picking up something used a year after they've been out.

As an owner of the original droid, I wouldn't buy it. It only got one OS update and it looks like that is all it will ever get in it's lifetime. Moto has been extremely slow even getting bug fixes out and you would be better off with a MXP or a Nexus device at this point.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Yeah there was that six months when Motorola had been totally on the ball about updates, and then they went back to being one of the worst. You're asking for even worse by buying a phone that's already a year in.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Motorola is gone, you'd be buying a Lenovo phone and Lenovo anythings are garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I bonked my 1st gen Moto X and now there's a dead zone in the touchscreen right where the home/switch/back button row is :(

I have a workable phone for the time being by installing a home-button-replacement app that puts a home button in the notifications tray. But I'm probably in the market for a new phone.

My main criteria are size (small please) and camera (good please).

Size:
The 1st gen moto X is a 4.7" screen and to me it is the perfect size. I don't want much bigger if possible, but I feel like since I last got my moto x "hugest phone possible" became the latest selling point so I don't know how easy that's going to be.

Camera:
I really, really like the camera on the Moto X. I don't know if it has more to do with the software or the hardware or both, but photos always come out better on it than on my friends' iphones and I happen to think iphones have really good cameras. So to say the least I've been very impressed with the camera on the moto x.

One possibility is getting another 1st gen moto X from ebay, but as software moves forward the hardware is probably going to become outdated eventually, which is why I'm wondering if I should get a newer model now.

I am tempted to try a Nexus to try something new (the nexus 5 is 5.2" so not that much bigger than the 1st gen moto x), but has anyone used both the nexus 5 and the moto x, and if so, can you comment on photos between the two?

Any suggestions?