Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Mans posted:

the spiky gits are getting a meltdown :allears:

:patriot: that is a proper greenskin relations status (unless the dwarfs are still alive for some reason in which case SHAME ON YOU).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
So I just finished my long campaign as chaos and I'm wondering, is it actually possible to turn around and murder the rest of the old world? Or will factions reappear because magic.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Hencoe posted:

So I just finished my long campaign as chaos and I'm wondering, is it actually possible to turn around and murder the rest of the old world? Or will factions reappear because magic.

It is possible, it's just probably very boring.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hencoe posted:

I'm looking at basically the same thing in order to finish my long campaign because the Dwarfs have basically the whole Badlands.

It's poop. I think I'll call it with the short campaign.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Mans posted:

the spiky gits are getting a meltdown :allears:

storm of chaos is canon again

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Tiler Kiwi posted:

storm of chaos is canon again

if only :smith:

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

President Ark posted:

if you really just want to talk about the game you might want to take a slightly less confrontational tone, friend

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

McGavin posted:

:siren: THIS IS THE TONE POLICE! COME OUT WITH YOUR HANDS UP! :siren:

IF IT WOULDN'T BE TOO MUCH TROUBLE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

So those crazy Russians have managed to datamine a roadmap to future DLCs and expansions. CA has already claimed this stuff is outdated but lots of interesting info regardless.

Things of note:

Expansion 1 is "The New World" with High Elves, Dark Elves, and Lizardmen.

Expansion 2 is "Gods of Chaos"

We see numbered DLC for all the remaining major factions (including Chaos Dwarfs!)

Plus dlc5 looks to be a large DLC pack that includes changes to Beastmen, Bretonnia, and adds Wood Elves.

jpparker55
Jun 4, 2007
Playing a VH vc's campaign with hard battles. Turn 6 got into a fight with a double stack from Templehoff (zombie heavy). Took me 3 goes at the battle to win it (got so close the first 2 times I was like I have to do this). Fluffy and Manny the only 2 left, battle ended with no hp Manny running around in circles to keep Fluffy within his aura as he mashed zombies/skellies until they were the only 2 survivors. 5100 casualty battle on turn 6 with unbugged raise dead = everything available outside of the black coach and terrorgheists. By turn 8 I had a stack with GG, crypt horrors, 2 varghuls, 3 barded black knights some vargheists and hexwraiths with a combat specced vampire hero. Amazing.

Unfortunately I'm too passive to do what I should have done with this stack and just captured the Avernheim province and destroyed all the northern dwarf holdings. Now at turn 60, the Empire has confederated almost all the provinces and the Greenskins have basically destroyed the dwarves. I've been broke the whole game as that stack is expensive as hell to upkeep. Going to invade the Empire next, just hoping I don't end up totally weakened when chaos hits shortly.

TL:DR zombies are premium currency for generating a full strength raise dead site.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

Welp, I hope it's real. I feel like the New World expansion just makes sense, can't wait to get my hands on Lizardmen.

Also, if they actually add Chaos Dwarfs that'd be rad as gently caress. Hopefully with their big Babylonian (Assyrian?) hats. How would they go about this though? I thought they didn't have an official army book? Also, did anyone ever do a Chaos Dwarf army list writeup in the old thread?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Welp, I hope it's real. I feel like the New World expansion just makes sense, can't wait to get my hands on Lizardmen.

Also, if they actually add Chaos Dwarfs that'd be rad as gently caress. Hopefully with their big Babylonian (Assyrian?) hats. How would they go about this though? I thought they didn't have an official army book? Also, did anyone ever do a Chaos Dwarf army list writeup in the old thread?

Chaos Dwarfs had near constant unoffical official support. They had their own army book in Fourth Edition, they were kept up to date through to sixth with the Ravening Hordes supplement, and then Forge World created their own 8e army list to go with new models as the Legion of Azgorh. There had been debate as to if the Azgorh supplement was considered legal or if the Ravening Hordes could still be used, but each one has crazy war machines, greenskin slaves, and pretty good magic.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Triskelli posted:

So those crazy Russians have managed to datamine a roadmap to future DLCs and expansions. CA has already claimed this stuff is outdated but lots of interesting info regardless.

Things of note:

We see numbered DLC for all the remaining major factions (including Chaos Dwarfs!)

Plus dlc5 looks to be a large DLC pack that includes changes to Beastmen, Bretonnia, and adds Wood Elves.

Huh. I'm not sure an expansion that adds nothing but Chaos variants would have enough staying power though.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Jun 20, 2016

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

MilitantBlackGuy posted:

Its basically the orc army (greenskin slaves) list except with some kicking rad artillery, chaos dwarf ranged and a few melee units, and hobgoblins, a species so back-stab happy they make the skaven look loyal.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
I think Beastmen could be super cool in this game so I hope they're still planned as one of the first added factions.

blindwoozie
Mar 1, 2008

peer posted:

I think Beastmen could be super cool in this game so I hope they're still planned as one of the first added factions.

Really excited to see what they do with them too! Minotaurs, giant bull cyclops with magic eyeballs, Centaur cav, and I would love to see them animate whatever the gently caress a Jabberslythe is. My only worry is that they're a clear contender for a horde faction, and horde factions are just less fun imo.

Thanks for the Chaos Dwarf info dudes

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I wouldn't hold your breath on that being the forsure roadmap since you can find all kinds of poo poo in the files that really has no purpose being there. I don't doubt that's a pretty accurate list of the factions, and I think we all already kinda figured the first big expansion would be the New World with naval combat, but past that I wouldn't consider that list accurate on order or full details of the DLCs.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I just want the Under-Empire soon pls.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010

Mordja posted:

Huh. I'm not sure an expansion that adds nothing but Chaos variants would have enough staying power though.

That was definitely the most surprising and questionable bit. Well, even if factions aren't the main draw they could in theory make it attractive by bundling enough new mechanics or whatever. Plus it would probably allow for them to make some final super event involving full strength chaos to tie the games together. I'm still really skeptical but I can kinda vaguely see it.

Alternately, they may just have decided that there wasn't enough going on in the south/eastern part of the map to make a decent stand alone expansion out of it. Chaos Gods might not be a huge draw, but bundling most of the least popular races (Tomb Kings, Chaos Dwarves, Ogres) in the least interesting part of the map for the first expansion isn't brilliant either. Doing those races as DLC means they can just gradually expand the base game map as they get added.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Having played Dwarf and Greenskin on legendary, they have their challenges and aren't boring by any stretch but I don't think they have anything on how hectic the empire campaign is

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
This game should tied us over for the next 2-3 years until proper VR is possible.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Running down fleeing units with war beasts is one of the most satisfying things ever. Especially Empire. "The gods have abandoned is!"

Gitro
May 29, 2013
A unit of goblin spearmen spent 5-10 ingame minutes chasing down a fleeing orc warboss, steadily poking him to death. At one point he was running perpendicular to the map boundary. They got him in the end. You go little guys! :3:

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Playing my first Chaos campaign feels weird as hell. Am I supposed to be constantly running a negative income and just staving it off with the stupid amount of money I make from sacking cities?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Operant posted:

Playing my first Chaos campaign feels weird as hell. Am I supposed to be constantly running a negative income and just staving it off with the stupid amount of money I make from sacking cities?

Yes.

Sack the Nordic cities. They have stupidly good economies in the early game. If you conquer the north and Loot -> Raze/Awaken you should hit the mainland with 6 figures of bank.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Operant posted:

Pretty much, try to upgrade buildings as much as possible to avoid crazy upkeep.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Things of note:

Brayherds, huh? What's the bet they'll be like the Waaagh armies Greenskins get?

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Xae posted:

Yes.

Sack the Nordic cities. They have stupidly good economies in the early game. If you conquer the north and Loot -> Raze/Awaken you should hit the mainland with 6 figures of bank.

Can someone go back over the reasoning behind recruiting a second horde in the first couple of turns?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Korgan posted:

Brayherds, huh? What's the bet they'll be like the Waaagh armies Greenskins get?

They will be like the minor Empire, Dwarf and Greenskin factions already in the game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Triskelli posted:

Can someone go back over the reasoning behind recruiting a second horde in the first couple of turns?

It really just boils down to "gets you started on horde growth early". Having two hordes growing (and training two leaders with + growth) from the beginning will really accelerate your overall progress.

It's also helpful to have a second army to put down all those pesky resettlements.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Triskelli posted:

It don't believe in this strategy. I tried it and didn't like it. I start with kohlek, awaken/subjugate that first tribe, kill all the dwaves, then awake/subjugate a Second tribe and have Signal take the second stack. I gave siggy the starting army because by this time kho could recruit a good stack on his own.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Okay, and I remember seeing tips about tearing out the marauder camp ASAP, should I be trying to tech for poison dogs and filling out my early stacks with them, or just focus on smashing people with my starting army?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Triskelli posted:

Okay, and I remember seeing tips about tearing out the marauder camp ASAP, should I be trying to tech for poison dogs and filling out my early stacks with them, or just focus on smashing people with my starting army?

I personally would go for the upgraded camp for poison dogs etc in the early game. You really don't have any viable alternatives for a bit and you need to at least have some bodies. There may be some ~optimal build~ that involves tearing down the starter marauder camp immediately and fast teching warriors or something. But that probably depends hugely on difficulty level or how hard you are ready to min-max.

Tearing down the marauder camps is something you will do as a matter of course later in the game though. This is because every building in the horde increases the growth cost of future buildings. But it's not permanent, as tearing down buildings reduces the growth cost accordingly. So later in the game when marauders are totally useless units you just tear down their camp immediately.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Whats the best VC counter for poo poo like giants and Dragon Ogres?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

natetimm posted:

Whats the best VC counter for poo poo like giants and Dragon Ogres?

terrorgheist

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Also death magic, since you should have plenty of it. Spirit leech the 1-3 models, Bjuna the 8+ models.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Tiler Kiwi posted:

terrorgheist

I had to use them on the hellcannons first and ended up getting worked over in the infantry lines before they could get back. I thought my Mannfred was godly until I fought a Chaos Horde. Brought me right back down to Earth.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Is there a description of the changes that the spell mod makes? I couldn't find it on the mod page but I am using mobile so that might be why.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Does the 10% Friendly Movement Territory mod or w/e stop working at random? I'm chasin Gelt around Sylvania now, and he's sacked 3 towns and razed 2. Its exactly as stupid and frustrating as it sounds.

EDIT: something's gone funky in my VC game. Empire's putting out armies with like 10% melee inf, majority Outrider/skirmisher cav, and then literally 50%~ish Artillery. loving sucks to fight against, Good lord :psyduck:

And thats using the "Better unit recruitment mod" too!

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
a cool system for how tomb kings might work occured to me while taking a piss

so the TKs usually don't give a gently caress about what happens except when upstart nations steal their poo poo or plunder their tombs, right?

so we give them a system like the book of grudges - you have a list of relics, who's taken them, and the severity/importance of the artifact (i.e. the cubic zirconium pinky ring of prince Hugiffsafook is less important than the crown of Settra) and their task is to get all that stuff back

meanwhile, the other factions either have the option to A) raid Khemri directly for magic items, glory, and money (sacking a Khemri city gives a lot more money than normal but sticks the conqueror with an artifact) or B) sponsor expeditions which do the same but without necessitating an army's involvement but have a delay

and then if, as Khemri, you keep retrieving things successfully, eventually the other subfactions will turn to you with their problems and confederate really easily if you're proving successful at punishing the interlopers

so basically you're playing a punching bag full of candy except the candy all turns into bees if you punch it too much

• Locked thread